#1 Harrk

Harrk

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 197 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

Boximus
GMC Jam #5 entry, just doing some last minute bug checking. Let me know if you find any, thanks. :3
========================
Story Introduction
========================
One day a terrible evil drew down on the town of Boxville, but the unexpected happened.
As the evil was about to claim victory, one Boxmus stood up against all odds and vanquished the evil once and for all.
The hero forged that day is known as Boximus.

However, the only witness to Boximus' victory is Boximus himself. But really, Boximus never saved the day at all. He was merely minding his own business that day until the evil was slain by a mysterious hero. The true hero vanished along with the evil and thus Boximus became the new hero.

Now the evil has returned and the people of Boxville have called upon Boximus to save them. Under Boximus' hero facade, can he save the land 'once more'?

========================
Screenshots
========================
Posted Image
Spoiler

========================
Download
========================
Direction Download (Zip): http://dl.dropbox.co...032/Boximus.zip
Sandbox: http://sandbox.yoyog.../193558-boximus

Edit: Fixed a bug where nothing happens after defeating the boss, both direct download and sandbox versions have the fix now.

Edited by Harrk, 30 January 2012 - 10:21 PM.

#2 icymx

icymx

Patrick Brett

• GMC Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

I'm surprised that nobody has commented, as I played this game and in my opinion it was one of the best Jam #5 games.

Let me make a quick review:
Gameplay: 5/5 - The simple platformer physics combined with the jetpack make this a fun and challenging game to play. The upgrades keep things interesting, and the introduction of enemies and other hinderences stop this game from being too easy.
Graphics: 3.5/5 - The graphics are very simple and pleasing to the eye, however the perfectly square tilesets make the landscape rather bland.
Story: 5/5 - I don't think the story could get any better than this. I like the idea of Boximus setting out to find the real hero, and then realising it was him all along, and how this is integrated with the upgrades system.
Music: 4.5/5 - The music suits this game really well. It integrates seamlessly with the rest of the game, and it seems as if no other music would fit the game as well as the music used. That said, I would like to have more exciting music in the final boss/cutscene, as suspense is building up and the current music doesn't help create that atmosphere.

Total: 9/10
It is unbelievable that you managed to make this game in just 3 days. Keep up the good work Harrk!

EDIT: Changed music to 4.5

Edited by epicfish, 24 February 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#3 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

This game lasted much longer than any of the other Jam entries! Great work, Harrk! The jetpack gimmick and upgrade stuff kept things interesting and fun. The birds that could shoot you seemed a bit unfair though, they move so fast, the only way you can really "dodge" them is to keep away from them.

This game got 1st place from me in my votes! :)

Fantastic work!

#4 Harrk

Harrk

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Wow, thanks guys, it means a lot! :D
I wasn't really happy with the graphics in this game, most were rushed.
Obviously this time I was focused on producing a finished game and the graphics suffered for it.

I've also been taking a liking to your games, orange, I've been following you since the 4th Jam (the first time I entered the jam).
Your style is just something I keep falling in love with, I'm looking forward for the next jam and seeing what you do again.

Thanks again guys for the feedback!

#5 slayer 64

slayer 64

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3813 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

i had no idea how to beat the big black jumping box. guess i was suppose to get the laser power earlier? i was stuck, i had to exit the game. lame =/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users