#1 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

Disillusion

A minimalistic, kind of abstract platform game with a focus on exploration. Made in 72 hours for a competition where it tied for first place.

Play on GameJolt »

Update: Big news for any fans of this game! Introducing The Sequel To Disillusion »

s1.png

s2.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSVQfpUUFoY

Play on GameJolt »

Update: Big news for any fans of this game! Introducing The Sequel To Disillusion »

Edited by True Valhalla, 13 June 2013 - 05:22 AM.

#2 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• Retired Staff
  • 15415 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

LOL Ending

#3 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 636 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

This looketh wonderful! Will play as soon as my game ban ends...

#4 mrscience00

mrscience00

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 678 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

Probably my favorite game in the jam atm...

#5 Khornel

Khornel

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

Is there more than one ending? Seems like there is, but I can only ever get one (
Spoiler
).

Edited by Khornel, 31 January 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#6 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:36 AM

LOL Ending

I'm glad you liked it :P

This looketh wonderful! Will play as soon as my game ban ends...

Thank you, I hope your game ban ends soon! I look forward to seeing your opinion :)

Probably my favorite game in the jam atm...

Thank you!! Please vote for it in the official topic too.

Is there more than one ending? Seems like there is, but I can only ever get one (

Spoiler
).

If only I had time for multiple endings...just the one though. I hope you liked the game.

#7 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 850 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Beautiful game, enjoyed it a lot. I think some RPG elements would have made it better, but then, I think that about every game Posted Image

I liked the blending of "retro-y" graphics with the fancy backgrounds; was quite pleasing to the eye.

#8 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

Beautiful game, enjoyed it a lot. I think some RPG elements would have made it better, but then, I think that about every game wink1.gif

I liked the blending of "retro-y" graphics with the fancy backgrounds; was quite pleasing to the eye.

Thank you! I'm really happy that my attempt at pixel art didn't make your eyes explode smile.gif

Edited by True Valhalla, 29 May 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#9 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6810 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

The game has a nice look to it. But I can't get past the first few jumps. I keep falling in between the blocks. Oh well... :tongue:

#10 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

You can always watch the Let's Play video to see how to do any jumps you have difficulty with :)

#11 icymx

icymx

Patrick Brett

• GMC Member
  • 800 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:17 AM

This is a really great game, considering you made it in just 72 hours! But even if it took you a month it would still be really good :P

#12 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Thanks epicfish! And I appreciate the vote :)

#13 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

I like this game. It has a very nice atmosphere and the graphics all fit in perfectly.
As others have said, there's not much actual gameplay. You're just supposed to go right, attack enemies, find health orbs, etc. It's pretty cut and dry what you have to do... not too much of a challenge. But that's okay, because apparently you were aiming for more of a soothing atmosphere than a challenging adventure.

Great work! I hope you make this longer :)

Edit: BTW, you did a really good job on the details... they really add a lot to this game.

-orange08

Edited by orange08, 05 February 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#14 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

Thanks orange smile.gif And I appreciate the vote too!

Edited by True Valhalla, 29 May 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#15 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

As the GMC voting has now come to an end, here's all the comments on 'Disillusion' posted external to this topic:

------------------------

RUSTY SAYS:

I hate it. Quite frankly, I hate it. Every part of it. Why? Because it's going to beat me. I know it. You know it. It's going to beat me to death. I set aside three goals, show off new scoreboard and saving system, beat YellowAfterLife and beat TrueValhalla. You've ruined my Jam.

Spite aside, it's a really fun game, it's not too skillful or skilless, it is open for anybody to play and play well. I actually loved the graphics, very MineCraft-y. I laughed at the death scenes which, looking back seemed rather sadistic, I enjoyed the feeling the sound game the game, I loved the lighting engine that came into play in the underground. Only advise I could send out you Valhalla... stop it! Let me win damn you!

Posted Image Posted Image

SKULLSOFT SAYS:

Nice graphics. Gameplay is pretty familiar.
The giant spider scared me! 3/5.

ICEMETALPUNK (re-review) SAYS:

You see everything I've crossed out above? Forget about it. I just gave Disillusion a fair replay, and everything's changed. Firstly, I downloaded the ZIP compilation today, and that's where I played Disillusion from this time. Guess what? No errors. The sound worked perfectly. The music was consistent with the graphics and overall atmosphere and really worked. After overcoming my own stupidity about the jump I had trouble with, I managed to get to the end of the game. Now the theme integration makes sense. Though it's not the most original use of facade (nor the most original game), it certainly is polished very well and does what it's intended to do--be an enjoyable game. I'll admit, I jumped when the giant spider dropped almost on top of me, but luckily that was the only giant I had to fight since I'd taken the underground path earlier :D .

AHMED ELYAMANI SAYS:

This game is almost good, it honestly kept me playing for a while , however i got stuck on a wall and i can't jump , also i didn't like the graphics.
Graphics: 2/5
Music: 4/5
Amusment: 3/5
theme: 2/5
Difficulty: 3/5
overall score: 14/25

REKNEPZ SAYS:

Very nice game.I loved the graphics, music and gameplay. It was very easy though. It was simply a game of fight, die, respawn, damage the monster more, and eventually,kill it. However, I still really like it and it's one of my favorites.

SNAIL MAN SAYS:

Very nice game, I like the tranquil atmosphere. I didn't really like the fighting system, it seemed like it didn't respond right away when you pressed the attack key. The ending was good, the platforming okay, and the music awesome. I give it a toal rateing of 7/10

BLOPIT SAYS:

-Loved the graphics and graphical effects
-Combat was slowpaced and linear thus boring
-Music and sound were enchanting
-DIE CHICKEN!
-Very charming and polished feel
-This guy needs floaties
-Exploration was good and allowed for multiple routes
-Very nice small details! Always a plus
-Nice atmosphere! Liked the lighting and rain!
-Death was amusing and not penalizing.
-GOD DAMN ceiling!!! Keeps making me go in lava
-Could not find an auction house to get better armor
-Ending was amusing and dissapointing at the same time!
Conclusion: Game was gorgeous though gameplay felt lacking. Platforming was basic and combat was dull because all you do is stand still and mash x and watch you and your enemy slowly lose health.

REDOCTOBER SAYS:

TrueValhalla's Disillusion showcases his skills in making professional looking games in a short amount of time. The game was lovely to look at and admire because of its presentation. The polish was also well done and relatively bug free. It's only a shame that he didn't spend that amount of time on increasing game play and incorporating the theme further into his entry. On the other hand, what is there is alright, but simply isn't enough to be one of my "top picks." The devblog shows the natural process of how the entry was created, which was filled with images. I for one enjoyed reading it.

EPICFISH SAYS:

True Valhalla managed to make a great game in a very short amount of time, to a very professional standard. The gameplay is brilliant and the minimalist graphics suit it well.

SONDAR SAYS:

I became increasingly worried as I saw the progress that True Valhalla was making, and upon completing his game I was proved right: We should pretty much give up now because Disillusion is awesome.

The art style is beautiful, the choice of colours, fonts and sprites are really very attractive. The sense of atmosphere from caves to hills is captured very well. the idea that a game with this level of quality and polish was made in 72 hours is remarkable - my game is pathetic compared to it :P

However, it wouldn't be right to call the game perfect. With the sense of atmosphere, music and sprites going so well I was looking forward to some unique gameplay. However, the gameplay for Disillusion is quite generic, with combat being stab one button to kill things. However, it was solid and it worked, I suppose.

The biggest issue I have with the game is it's length. It ends rather abruptly, as the game has a slow meandering pace, gradually ratcheting up difficulty and combat and I was enjoying it immensly. So when the game abruptly called it quits I was slightly dissapointed.

I feel the ending was servicable, but I agree with Khornel, in that it seems as if there were mutliple endings. The use of the theme in Disillusion felt rather blunt and I didn't think it helped the game. A more gradual introduction of the theme would have worked better in my opinion.

HAYMANMARC SAYS:

Rating: 5/5. Ahhhh. Finally. A truly complete game, with no bugs. Nice, simple graphics. Nice music. Funny messages. Funny story. Even a custom loading bar. A perfect 'made in 72 hours' game. Thank you, TrueValhalla. You are an inspiration.

THE ULTIMATE SAYS:

I lolíd when I recognized the spider graphics from RogueLife.
Anyways, this game is freaking insane. Like seriously, look at the quality of the thing! Look at it! The thingís complete, too, which is even more insane! I actually played the whole thing from start to finish.
To be honest, though, itís not really that memorable of a game. Itís really good, but itís nothing I havenít seen before. Still doesnít prevent it from being awesome, though.

BLAKE SAYS:

The combination of top notch presentation, a beautiful art style and great attention to detail creates one hell of an immersive gaming atmosphere. Whilst the gameplay was generic and a little slow, this is what appeals to me personally as it allows me to feel in control, and there was enough variation to hold my attention until the end. The theme integration wasn't spectacular, but definitely satisfactory. Overall, a winner for me.

THE M SAYS:

Very polished and very smooth game. The graphical effects and style are both gorgeous and while there isn't much story it doesn't really matter. Simple yet awesome game!

ORANGE08 SAYS:

Wow, great music(I don't notice any sound fx though, except for the big spider part). Very good attention to detail. Nice and relaxing mood :)
The 2nd waypoint looks like a bunch of small spikes. ;) This is a pretty sweet game, just too short... are you going to continue working on it?

FAISSIALOO SAYS:

nice 8-bit style, I like the dieing comments, they're funny. Also fighting is ok, I would recommend adding a way to defend

LAP202 SAYS:

I felt TV showed the most skill in the competition, making a fun game in a couple days. The graphics weren't spectacular, but I actually felt they added to the gameplay. The game was fun and although the theme integration wasn't that good, it still stayed on track. The spider scared me for a second XD.

HARKK SAYS:

I felt I needed to vote for this game as the graphics and tone were just amazing.
The game was too short for my liking though and I felt the combat could be paced faster. After all I pretty much ignored most of the enemies because of the slow combat.
The ending was a little confusing at first, like "Do I jump?", but it was certainly amusing.

An' yeah... that boss spider thing scared the crap out of me. I didn't bothered trying to fight it - I just ran. xD

DADIO SAYS:

I liked it. Very cool graphics style. Very moody music. Very sexy gradient & particle use. Really Wish there were sound effects. (new best game so far). (^-^)b

#16 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

Disillusion has WON the GMC jam, tied for first place! Thank you to everyone that voted for the game, and congratulations to all the entrants!

#17 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 636 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

Dis is da vin! Congrats, TV!

#18 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

Thanks!

#19 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2712 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Anybody here ever played "Realm of the Mad god" ?
The graphics for main chars and enemies are nearly 1:1 copies...

Congratulations on winning though...cause I rly like that style.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by BlaXun, 25 February 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#20 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Anybody here ever played "Realm of the Mad god" ?
The graphics for main chars and enemies are nearly 1:1 copies...

In an 8 by 8 region, there's only a few ways to make a normal looking character. It's just a coincidence.

#21 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7521 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:22 AM

Just looking at the screenshots for Disillusion themselves, you can tell they aren't really all that alike.

#22 Charmeleon

Charmeleon

GMC Member

• GMC:Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Let me start off by saying that I love exploration games. I wish more people made games that were purely about exploration, and the success of Seiklus shows that other people enjoy this kind of game, too. But this isn't really an exploration game, it's just a "admire my beautiful graphics game." While they are beautiful, this isn't my kind of game.

Some other problems. The controls are kind of laggy and you can't move and attack at the same time. I also really didn't like how the character stops in mid-air and floats down as soon as you let go of a directional button. The game's very slow-paced, and for an "exploration" game it's extremely linear. However, the game's aesthetics are beautiful, quite impressive for a 3-day work actually. The music is nice too. I think the game tried to do too much in 3 days - it would have been much better without the awful combat, and perhaps focusing more on exploration with more paths. I got tired of this game really fast, right now it's just on in the background while I listen to the music.

Considering it was made in 3 days, I give it a 3/5.

Edit: I think you should fix this in your description: "A minimalistic, kind of abstract platform game with a focus on exploration."

Edited by Charmeleon, 01 March 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#23 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1887 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

did you see that animation i made Posted Image ?

#24 GreenMeteorTeam

GreenMeteorTeam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

The aesthetics are great, that's where its strengths lie. Gameplay-wise it's just a simple platformer with combat that you can ignore. But I mean, in a small game jam like this why do everything mediocre when you can do one thing really well?

I liked it, and the let's play, haha. :happy:

@BlaXun there are major differences in these sprites compared to Realm of the Mad God - relatively speaking of course. If you want to see some really similar ones, check out TIGSource's old Assemblee competition entries. I'm pretty sure Realm of the Mad God is the one copying sprites (which is okay according to the license).

#25 metalhead_

metalhead_

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

^ a lot of games use these sprites

Dungeons Of Fayte does. Good game/

#26 ohaithar

ohaithar

GMC Member

• 150 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

In an 8 by 8 region, there's only a few ways to make a normal looking character. It's just a coincidence.

@BlaXun there are major differences in these sprites compared to Realm of the Mad God - relatively speaking of course.

I think it's pretty obvious that it's not a coincidence, iam not saying anything--i don't care, but i just think you shouldn't lie :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#27 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

@BlaXun there are major differences in these sprites compared to Realm of the Mad God - relatively speaking of course.

I think it's pretty obvious that it's not a coincidence, iam not saying anything--i don't care, but i just think you shouldn't lie :rolleyes:

Posted Image

How much variation can you add with 8x8 sprites? Posted Image

#28 greyzebra

greyzebra

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Just downloaded several days ago and played it. Great game, nice fitting music, nice atmosphere. Maybe combat is a bit simplistic, but if it is an exploration game (and it is) then combat should not be the focus.

Death is surprisingly bloody. Wonder if there is a special message for that?

Ending is, well, understandable :D I keep searching for a way back to the old master, though.

Overall a great game. Guys can't you see if this is a great game and it needs only 72 hours development?! I wish more games are like this!

Edited by greyzebra, 24 April 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#29 Silver Scratch

Silver Scratch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Congrats to all of the other jammers! Who tried their best!

#30 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

Big news today!

Introducing The Sequel To Disillusion »

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users