(Note: I'll add more screenshots soon.)
File size: 14MB
(I'm putting this in bold, otherwise it won't be seen)
It would be greatly appreciated if you could try both version 0.10 AND version 0.13, and post which version you prefer and why, so I have a better idea which direction to take this game. With Wakeskater and IMP's departures, updates won't be as frequent as they used to be pre v.0.9.
I’d specifically like feedback on the new player physics, the level design, and how the game is explained.
What is this?
It's a platformer with a huge world to explore and lots of new powers to find!
Current length of game: ~30 minutes
You are Julius Dragonslayer, and you have discovered that you are the product of a playwright's imagination, a mere pawn in the facade of a play. Armed with a magic pen that creates whatever is written with it, you must survive in a world which has turned against you, and find a way out. Explore the land, travel through towns, and upgrade your abilities to face off against a ferocious dragon and change the end of your Story!
Complete Intro Story
Julius: Harken unto me, Dragon, for this is the last you shall ever—OOF!
Suddenly, a golden pen, larger than any normal pen Julius had ever seen, falls from the heavens and strikes him directly in between his eyes. As he rubs his head gently, he picks up the pen and sees the word “FACADE” engraved into its side.
Julius: Facade? What's a facade? [A baby dragon waddles past] Dragon-child! I shall smite you and your—what's that? [The dragon had dropped a notebook. Julius picks it up] Pen...paper...facade...paper...pen...hmmm...I wonder if this large pen actually writes?
Julius scribbles the word FACADE in the notebook, and suddenly he realizes the world looks very...flat. Unreal. Not quite right. A lightbulb appears above his head as he screams out, “This whole world is a facade!” Amazed at the power of the pen, he begins writing more words–“Rabbit” (which hops away), “Tree” (one grows), etc.
Suddenly, he hears a voice from nowhere (the playwright) screaming, “No, no, no! There are no rabbits or trees in my play! I can't have you ruining my masterpiece! There's only one solution...I shall kill you off!” Instantly, a stampede of monsters appears and rushes towards Julius. He runs back toward the town, knowing now that he must use his sword and his new magic pen to survive, and perhaps to free himself from the facade he once called the world...
Development-related stuff: Changlogs, known bugs, and FAQ (Updated January 26, 2014)
• New effects and sprites!
• New sword attack!
• Better dialogue system
• Collecting or using a word in the first three Scenes now has a unique effect instead of a textbox
• All save points, wells and fountains now act as checkpoints
• More sound effects
• More words
• Bosses heal if you leave the area
• Dagger Toss returns ink if you hit an enemy with it - this is so you don't run out of ink so quickly
• Also did a lot of reorganizing and renaming of resources in the source file.
• Jumping into corners sometimes glitches out
• Darkened menu options are available despite looking like they're not
• Canyon cutscene no longer works
• You don't respawn if you fall off the bridge
• Anything to do with the word system will be fixed in the next update hopefully:
-----Word descriptions appear in the Notebook
-----Different Notebook graphics
-----Equipping words will display them in the corner until they're unequipped, and there will be a different "ready to use" graphic.
• Create effects for spells like Flare and Bomb should appear every time you use them.
• Character portraits are blank (I'm adding these in the next update)
• There is still no Word Collected sound effect because I still don’t have one that fits perfectly.
• Checkpoints don’t work between rooms yet - you’ll respawn at the start of the room if the checkpoint is in another room.
• Since this was a graphical update, I have yet to balance the ink amounts in all the levels or redo the bosses.
• Save/Load function doesn't work
• The dialogue sounds like a first draft written by three different people because it's a first draft written by three different people.
• Not a bug, but most dialogue will eventually be replaced with cutscenes
• No boss music, and combat is kinda repetitive
• Loading a word, then loading a second one without using it, will still use the ink for the first word
• The vines will defy gravity once in a while
• Some parts of the Inferno Caverns force you to take damage to pass
New stuff in v.0.14 (Updated January 26)
• Longer, more detailed intro cutscene
• More attacks: J is still a forward slash, but now U is an up-slash and N is a down-slash
• Shield is available earlier in the game, and Block is enabled by default
• Added glow effect to menu for better readability
• Create effects for spells like Flare and Bomb appear every time you use them.
Effects, like Premonition and Double Jump, will have an icon that displays in the HUD after you equip them. (removed, didn't match the game's style)
• (POSSIBLE) Each enemy type drops one specific colour of ink instead of it being randomized. This way, finding ink isn't so unpredictable.
• (POSSIBLE) New Mountain Pass music!
• Character portraits
• Updated enemy sprites
• Words' Ink colours will show up when you collect them
• Enemy healthbars will be somewhere not above them (They will either show up briefly when you attack them or display at the bottom of the screen when you get close enough. I haven't yet decided about that.)
• Better balancing for types and amounts of ink found throughout the game
• Enemies will get harder and harder to kill because you get better items as the game progresses
What's coming at some indefinite time before the game is complete (Updated January 26)
• Word descriptions will also be included in the notebook
• Level design changes and redone bosses
• Different music for each area
• More of a story - it's all written out in a Word document, but what shows in the game is only the tip of the iceberg. “The whole world is a façade!” isn’t the entire plot...
• There is going to be SO much fourth-wall humour.
• POSSIBLE IF IT DOESN'T MAKE THE GAME TOO COMPLICATED: Primary (permanently equipped, like the sword) and secondary (uses Ink every time, like Ki Blast) attacks that you can change, that use "J" and "K" respectively, to replace having to hit "Space" twice for each secondary attack. "I" will be the interact button.
Stuff I’d like to know if you play the game (Updated September 15)
- Which version do you prefer: 0.9 or 0.13?
- Do you want me to work on new levels or new bosses next?
- Should each enemy type drop one specific colour of ink instead of it being randomized? This way, finding ink isn't so unpredictable.
- Should the levels be changed so the first half of the game runs left-to-right, and the return trip runs right-to-left? The cave levels will still be the same. (See the 4th question in the FAQ) On one hand, you can get used to the game while going in the traditional platformer direction, but on the other hand, playing the easy levels that way means you'll have to play some of the hardest levels of the game going backwards. Most of the current levels are reversible as it stands right now, but this will have a huge impact on the new levels’ design.
- Now that you’ve played the game, are you willing to follow progress and try out new versions? Updates will range from every few days to every few weeks. (I’d like to know because I seriously have a problem where fewer and fewer people comment as the topic gets larger and the game progresses)
PFAQ (Predicting the Frequently Asked Questions)
Two possible answers here:
- The three of us have different styles, and 80% of the current graphics are still the original 72-hour Jam ones. This may or may not be changed.
- Some items like ink pots look more realistic because they are from the Playwright’s world and not Julius’.
Only the original sword seems to be useful for the whole game. Were the other equippable items added later on or something?
Yep. The sword is your main weapon and can be upgraded at certain points in the game. You can always re-equip the sword when you need it, so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.
How many levels/stages?
5 stages and 8 levels currently, but there will be a couple more in the future.
Why are you rearranging the stages and redoing some of the levels?
As it stands, the game is a bit of a no-brainer. Aside from getting lost, killed by bosses, or killed by slightly cheap level design, there’s no challenge. There will be puzzles and labyrinths and stuff in the future, and each stage will have 2-3 parts. Each area will have its unique traits and obstacles, and each enemy type will have a different movement/attack pattern that you have to learn and exploit - you’ll no longer be able to employ the current strategy of sneaking up on every enemy and spamming the attack button.
Levels are also going to be put in a more logical order that more closely follows that of the original story:
Mountain Pass > Town > Docks > Plains (Return to the Mountain Pass) > Mountain Pass > Azure Caverns/Ice caves > Inferno Caverns
Pirates and ninjas? What?
Uhh yeah... Well I guess it’s tangentially related. Or something.
Can I suggest a word?
Definitely. Suggestions would be great! If it’s feasible and fits in gameplay-wise, I’ll put it in.
Version 0.12 (June 3)
• Scene III: Torna Outskirts has been updated, but is still incomplete (and far too easy)
• Debug thing that teleports you to the newest level with all the words you need
• More content
• All enemies now have an attack pattern instead of just walking back and forth
• Objects and enemies are now more or less vulnerable to certain attacks (e.g. doors can be burnt down by a lizard man's errant fireball, and stone throwers are invulnerable to fire)
• Splashscreen music no longer breaks your eardrums
• Minor bug fixes
Version 0.11 (May 13)
• Scene II: Mountain Pass West has been updated
• Journey Stones now act as checkpoints
• Some enemies will attack you
• You can now pause the game with P
• Escape quits to the menu instead of quitting the game
• The Pen falls at the correct time during the "cutscene"
• Better level transitions
• Enemies explode with colour corresponding to the type of ink dropped
• Minor bug fixes
Version 0.10 (April 30)
• Improved character physics
• New graphics, sprites, and eye candy
• Journey Stones (AKA checkpoints): Allow you to save the game, and teleport to other Journey Stones around the world (in future versions)
• Easier gameplay:
- Levels are easier to navigate (only the first Mountain Pass level has been redone so far)
- Important words are more spread out and easier to find
- Other words are less numerous to prevent confusion (no more differentiating between words like
Ki Blast, Ki Shot, Ice Blast, Ice Lance, and Ice Turret!)
- Health can be fully restored with one word, and healing springs increase HP more quickly
- Increased max HP
- Removed lives system - bottomless pits now only take health, and death sends you back to the last
Journey Stone instead of restarting the game
- You get a projectile attack earlier on
• Minor bug fixes
Version 0.9 (April 4)
- Dragon's Lair Part 2! It's really easy to get lost in there!
- Some new enemies!
Version 0.8 (March 26)
- Space bar tutorial floaty thing added to level 1. You can now hit SPACE to use spells!
- Boss 1: His attack rotation quickens below 30% HP and there are now cross hairs for the fire cannonball drop to let you know where they will be.
- Ink values are now displayed above the ink bars so you know exactly how much you have.
- Tougher enemies will now drop more red ink if you have 100 black ink already.
- 5 new Red Words added to the game!
- Thrower enemies (just the gray ones for now) give a little more feedback, they now jump before they throw!
- Fixed an issue with big inks.
- Equippable Items from words now have the word Equip on them to distinguish from spells.
- Attacks now have an element / attribute assigned to them!
=== Another boss!
Version 0.6 (March 18)
=== MORE AREAS! Go check out the pirate ship to the west! There will be more stuff there soon.
=== A BOSS! (that I apparently can't beat, so if you manage to beat it, tell me what comes after. I think it may be another level. )
=== WHATEVER COMES AFTER THE BOSS, because I can't open the gm81.
Version 0.5 (March 2)
=== An upgraded battle system!
=== You now have to press SPACE to use words
=== New words and adjustments to the levels
Versions 0.1 - 0.4:
=== Jam versions, changelogs can be found in Wake's devblog.
If you're curious and have five minutes and 2.5 MB to spare,
CLICK FOR A PREVIEW OF AZURE CAVERNS
aka the ice caves, aka the new level that's not even out yet
It uses a different game engine than the actual game, but the level in its essence will be the same.
Instructions: (Also explained during gameplay, so feel free to skip this)
WASD: move and jump
K: Read signs / interact with stuff
L: Open notebook
Space: Use spells
This is how the game works:
Ink: You need ink to use your pen. There are different colours of ink that correspond to the rarity of the word. Ink pots are scattered around the levels and dropped by enemies.
- Black Ink is the most common, and is used for Nouns - spells that consume Ink every time they are used.
- Red Ink is a little less common and its words activate permanently - these include skills and items.
- Gold Ink is the rarest and most powerful. Verbs can be written with it, and its effects are very strong.
Words: Words are written on paper and scattered throughout the level or dropped by stronger enemies and bosses. You cannot create objects or use spells until you learn the word.
The Notebook: It's where all the words you've found are written. You open the notebook with L, which will
pause the game. Typing a word will automatically select it if it's there, and Enter uses the word. Some items,
such as the sword, are permanent once used, and others, like the bomb, are one use only, so choose wisely.
After you choose a word, hit Space to use it!
We got 25th place and an awesome game idea to build on!
Apparently Rusty REALLY liked this game. Thanks!
"This game was pretty good. It had nice graphics, good music, and interesting use of theme." - snail man
"Now that kid I predicted so much for as teamed up with TheUltimate and IceMetalPunk for some real Jam-ass kicking gaming. As you can guess, I enjoyed Julius Dragonslayer,
I didn't think i would but I did, it was creative, colourful, well humoured, increbily well executed and just very impressive... it was brilliant.
You didn't make it last time but you got there in the end Wake, for you two, IMP and Ultimate, welcome back, this is where you belong. Must Play. Damn, I love being right!" - Rusty
Time for raocow's awesome video review!
We're proud to announce that EVERYTHING in the original version was created within the 72 hours of the Jam!
As well, every subsequent version contains 100% originality, not from concentrate! There are no ripped sprites or music!
Ideas, story, awesomeness, level design, and other stuff: IceMetalPunk, Wakeskater_X, and TheUltimate
Music: Half by IceMetalPunk, half by TheUltimate. See if you can guess who did what.
Level graphics: TheUltimate
Enemy graphics: wakeskater_X
Programming: wakeskater_X and IceMetalPunk
Shameless Plug: Like JD? Check out some of our other games!
Sophia's Spirits by IceMetalPunk and TheUltimate
Neonite 2 by IceMetalPunk
WHAT THE @#&% ?! and Origami by TheUltimate
SBX and SBX2 by wakeskater_X
Support our game! Put this in your signature!
Edited by TheUltimate, 26 January 2014 - 07:06 PM.