Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

The IMProved Ultimate Wakeskater Studio proudly presents
jdv2.png

105.png

(Note: I'll add more screenshots soon.)

<DOWNLOAD IT HERE!>
~ Jam postDevelopment blog -

File size: 14MB

(I'm putting this in bold, otherwise it won't be seen)

It would be greatly appreciated if you could try both version 0.10 AND version 0.13, and post which version you prefer and why, so I have a better idea which direction to take this game. With Wakeskater and IMP's departures, updates won't be as frequent as they used to be pre v.0.9.

I’d specifically like feedback on the new player physics, the level design, and how the game is explained.

What is this?
It's a platformer with a huge world to explore and lots of new powers to find!
Current length of game: ~30 minutes

You are Julius Dragonslayer, and you have discovered that you are the product of a playwright's imagination, a mere pawn in the facade of a play. Armed with a magic pen that creates whatever is written with it, you must survive in a world which has turned against you, and find a way out. Explore the land, travel through towns, and upgrade your abilities to face off against a ferocious dragon and change the end of your Story!

Complete Intro Story

Spoiler

Development-related stuff: Changlogs, known bugs, and FAQ (Updated January 26, 2014)

Spoiler

Instructions: (Also explained during gameplay, so feel free to skip this)

Spoiler

Jam 5:
We got 25th place and an awesome game idea to build on!
Spoiler

We're proud to announce that EVERYTHING in the original version was created within the 72 hours of the Jam!
As well, every subsequent version contains 100% originality, not from concentrate! There are no ripped sprites or music!

Credits
Ideas, story, awesomeness, level design, and other stuff: IceMetalPunk, Wakeskater_X, and TheUltimate
Music: Half by IceMetalPunk, half by TheUltimate. See if you can guess who did what.
Level graphics: TheUltimate
Enemy graphics: wakeskater_X
Programming: wakeskater_X and IceMetalPunk

Shameless Plug: Like JD? Check out some of our other games!
Sophia's Spirits by IceMetalPunk and TheUltimate
Neonite 2 by IceMetalPunk
WHAT THE @#&% ?! and Origami by TheUltimate
SBX and SBX2 by wakeskater_X

Support our game! Put this in your signature!
bannerhp.png  image.png

Spoiler

Enjoy!

Edited by TheUltimate, 26 January 2014 - 07:06 PM.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#2 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:30 AM

FIRST!

But seriously you can see our development log here:
http://gmc.yoyogames...pic=530276&st=0

In the games topic on the first page.

And you can also see our progress in my blog:
http://spaceblasterx.blogspot.com/

Have fun and enjoy the game!

~WakeskaterX~

My Games: 

SBX1&2 and GMC Jam Game: Julius Dragonslayer

Twitter:  @WakeStudio

#3 Mow

Mow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

Great, now I have to try this game,
my name's Julius.

#4 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:21 AM

Haha, are you a dragon slayer?

Well let us know what you think!

EDIT: If anyone can get to the Fireball Script (note: Fireball, not flare) you have beaten the content ;D

Edited by wakeskater_X, 30 January 2012 - 10:45 PM.

My Games: 

#5 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Just thought I'd give a little update. We're down to the final two hours of the Jam now, and we're just polishing things up. It might be helpful to you to know that pressing ESC will close the notebook without choosing a word. Also, that red-ink words are one-time use while black-ink words can be reused (though some words, like double-jump, are learned abilities that never need to be used more than once).

Polish, polish, polish. Fancy, fancy, fancy.

-IMP

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#6 ash47

ash47

O_o

• GMC Member
  • 1347 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

I didn't really like it, I got bored with the dialog and ended out skipping it, I couldn't work the notepad out till the end, where I managed to equip a sword somehow, those rock throwing people just seemed impossible to dodgy, and I kept falling off (the first time I went down on purpose because I couldn't find anywhere to go) >_> Atleast the graphics are reasonable :P Good luck in the contest :P
Posted Image

Rate this topic: 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

PRESS IT
\/

#7 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

I didn't really like it, I got bored with the dialog and ended out skipping it, I couldn't work the notepad out till the end, where I managed to equip a sword somehow, those rock throwing people just seemed impossible to dodgy, and I kept falling off (the first time I went down on purpose because I couldn't find anywhere to go) >_> Atleast the graphics are reasonable :P Good luck in the contest :P

Um...not only did we include the controls in this topic AND the F1 info, but there's an "Instructions" button on the main menu that also shows the controls. So maybe you want to look at the controls and try again before blaming the game? :P

-IMP

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#8 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1902 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

This is the first time i don't like a game IMP and The Ultimate made , although the graphics are good, the game itself is kinda boring :(.
Ahmed

#9 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

Well... we DID get a nice review from rusty:

Rusty:

I told you so! I told you so and you so and you! And you in the corner! With the hat! I told you so!

Time for a quote:
"Not quite top pick but this kid is good, keep eyes out for him at Jam #5, hopefully he'll be there I've got big hopes for this one." - Rusty, GMC Jam #4

Now that kid I predicted so much for as teamed up with TheUltimate and IceMetalPunk for some real Jam-ass kicking gaming. As you can guess, I enjoyed Julius Dragonslay, I didn't think i would but I did, it was creative, colourful, well humoured, increbily well executed and just very impressive. I didn't like the way it took forever to kill things and the healthbar looked a bit low tech but that aside it was brilliant.

You didn't make it last time but you got there in the end wake, for you two, IMP and Ultimate, welcome back, this is where you belong. Must Play. Damn, I love being right!

Thanks again to IMP and TheUlt ;) you guys did a really great job.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 01 February 2012 - 02:59 AM.

My Games: 

#10 ash47

ash47

O_o

• GMC Member
  • 1347 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Um...not only did we include the controls in this topic AND the F1 info, but there's an "Instructions" button on the main menu that also shows the controls. So maybe you want to look at the controls and try again before blaming the game? :P

-IMP

I did read it, arrows + ZXC or WADS + JKL, The trouble is, I couldn't really work out what they did, I worked out that Z does the notebook, and C attacks, and the arrow keys move, but what does X do?!? I got to a wall, and that was it, I had no idea where to go, I tried jumping over etc, no luck, and I couldn't work out the notebook for the life of me >_>
Posted Image

Rate this topic: 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

PRESS IT
\/

#11 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

X is used to interact with objects. For now all you can do is read signs. The sign at the beginning gives you a hint as where to go. After you grab the sword and the vial of red ink, create the sword and go back to cut the vines down and head back to the left. There are 2 screens that way and then you can go back to the beginning and explore the first level again. There are quite a bit of things to find ;D

My Games: 

#12 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

Figured I may as well paste what I wrote into this topic too.

We've already started with the post-Jam version. Since most of the criticism stems from it being too hard to fight enemies, that was pretty much the first thing that was changed. Everything has half the health they used to, and enemies get knocked back so they're easier to fight. We're going to add the rest of the areas and put more of the story in too. (I actually don't know how far most people have gotten in the game, though, so it's kind of hard to tell what everyone thinks of the story) Oh, and there's an animated intro cutscene now too.

We're planning on making Julius Dragonslayer a full game, so keep an eye on our WIP topic if you wanna follow progress. :D

TheUltimate

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#13 Terrified Virus

Terrified Virus

Moderators Plaything

• GMC Member
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

This game is cool. The graphics are really nice also!

1357275755.png

#14 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

Nice, well the game play will be more fun as well in the next patch.

We'll release a gameplay update after the Jam Voting is closed, but here is a blog post to some insight on the changes that are being made to JD:

http://spaceblasterx...5-revision.html

The game will be a lot easier and should be a little clearer about what to do.

The story line will also change to give a better sense of what is needed to be done as well.

My Games: 

#15 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

This shows some good initial ideas (reminds me of scribblenauts....) but it feels like you didn't think through some things.

Example if not thinking through: in one professionally made, Xbox 360 game, every single time the player died, you had to watch an angle slowly descend from heaven and lift you into the sky. The mini cutscene took forever and you had to watch it every time you died, which was frequent. Nobody wants to die, let alone watch a dumb cutscene as punishment every time. Somebody didn't think that through: your game could use similar iteration and thought.

I know it's early in development, but there are many very simple things that could be done to improve the game instantly:

- Clear, in-game instructions. People don't want to read a manual before the can play: many games achieve this by having characters tell them how to play (Legend of Zelda) or by including in game objects that give instructions (Dead Space) Sort of like a tutorial section of the game. Anything that explains the gameplay: if you just leave it up to the players to figure out how to play, people will get bored and quit before they discover all of the hard work you put into it.

- Higher framerate. This is a personal taste one for me. Right now your game feels sluggish, and my computer is running it just fine. I think it's just that your frame rate is set WAY too low. 60 I think is a good MINIMUM, but I prefer working at 100. Everything feels smooth and it makes the player feel more in control. It also just increases visual appeal.

- No cheesey dialogue. One thing that bothers me about almost every single GM game ever made is that they all have bad writing. I think many people have an idea of what they want to write, and then just make up words as they input it into the game. Bad writing is an IMMEDIATE turn-off for me. It may feel funny, witty, and original to you, but most of the time it comes across as childish. A game like Portal has funny, witty, and original writing, but the people who wrote that probably took a fair amount of time planning out the script, revising, and rewriting the lines time and time again before it was actually used in game. If you want people to take your game seriously, I would suggest doing the same. (I don't mean seriously as in the game must be serious, but if you want anyone to invest any time in your game, you have to convince them that it's worth their time. Cheap writing will convince them otherwise very quickly.)

- More involved combat. Right now you just press a button and stuff happens... the enemies aren't very interesting and there is no underlying "strategy" behind it, per se. For example, Trine 2 has a strategy in that each of the three heroes have their own unique way of fighting which changes how you respond and approach enemies. Even in a game as simple as Mario there is strategy: Jump on the koopa and you get a shell. Should you use it to kill the other enemy? You could, but it might bounce back at you, but that might be useful; or you can kill a dry bone, but it will come back to life, so you have to get past it quickly after killing it, or maybe not kill it at all and just run on by. (Simple strategy, but the player still has to make these decisions, even if subconsciously.)

- DON'T SEND THE PLAYER BACK TO THE MENU WHEN THEY DIE! Nobody wants to watch that angle slowly lift the corpse to heaven, and nobody wants to watch your logo every time they die. Fact. Just don't do it. Save points, beginning of the level, I don't care. But right now, your method seems like cruel and unusual punishment.

Don't take anything I've said too harshly: I usually don't even look in the WIP forum any more, much less download a game, and almost never reply to a topic, so I'm only writing this because I actually thought your game was decent. The art style is fine, and the character animation was decent. So just make sure you think through somethings in the game. I mean, we all play professional games and we think, "Well that was really dumb and annoying of them to put that in the game!" We're all pretty good at finding the problems with other people's games. I would be very critical of your own work: you be the harsh reviewer looking for the lousy parts, and then fix them. That's how great games are made.

Good job, and good luck!
Posted Image

#16 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yes yes, a lot of this is being worked on atm. I posted a blog link above about some of the things that are being fixed. Dying doesn't take you back to the menu, it now resets the game after the story and the game play is a lot easier and more fun.

The uniqueness of the combat is gathering words and using them to fight off enemies in different ways, for example: You get the word bomb, you use it, and it explodes severely damaging any enemies nearby. There is now a knock back factor too, so you can use moves that have better knock back and words that push them further away. Also you can summon various weapons depending on your playing preference, atm we have 3 swords and some throwing knives as weapons. Combat strategy will become way more involved as you have a giant list of words to summon from. Atm we have a few: Dagger Toss, Dagger Throw (an upwards dagger toss), Fireball, Flare, Ki Blast, Bomb, and a few others I think.

I've been thinking about adding in lives too, before taking you to a game over screen. That would make it so you can die a few times as well and not be punished too hard. The frame rate issue is well, most computers run at about 60, which is an average, i think ours is 30, which yea if you watch it real close makes it look a little glitchy, but that's something down the line that we could work on to make it more polished. It'd take a revamp of our system I think.

And as for in game instructions, we might add in a few little floating text things at the beginning, it's been something I had considered.

I appreciate the feedback and implore you to try again after a few patches once we have bosses and a lot more content.

Thanks!

~WakeskaterX~

Edited by wakeskater_X, 09 February 2012 - 08:31 PM.

My Games: 

#17 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

This game is cool. The graphics are really nice also!

Thanks! Be sure to vote for us if you liked it!

I'm only writing this because I actually thought your game was decent. The art style is fine, and the character animation was decent. So just make sure you think through somethings in the game.

Whoa, thanks for the huge amount of feedback! Haha I see you've found some of the pitfalls of making a game from scratch in under 72 hours. Half of what we wanted to add and adjust by the Jam deadline never made it. But never fear, all that stuff you mentioned has been fixed since last week! We're simply waiting for the Jam voting to end before updating the game, just to be fair to everyone. But I do admit, I never noticed the framerate.

But I think there should be a better way to equip stuff instead of constantly going back into the notebook and typing stuff out. Or at least freeze everything when it's open. I've fallen down chasms more than once because I forget and try to use words in midair.
I'm thinking we should also change some of the sound effects for consistency. Julius sounds like three different people lol.

TheUltimate

image.png

#18 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

I like the fact that you have to stop to use the notebook. It's a little more realistic ;) I mean, I can't write while jumping over chasms in a notebook, so I expect Julius can't either. We could work on an alternative equip source, but I think as you progress you'll have enough ink to equip the things you want.

I've been adding little things here and there so hopefully we can get a nice game play update after the voting.

Also I can't believe it! 87 plays before even our first update! That's pretty awesome, It'll be nice to add some content to make the game a little more fun.

EDIT: I have implemented lives into the game, now you can die a few times before it resets the levels, (later on this will be a game over screen, that will take you to the main menu (or a save point)).

We will also have to put in an actual save system as the game gets larger (perhaps, it depends how long we want to make the game, old school games didn't let you save so it's not a big issue if the game can be beaten in 30 min to an hour)

Edited by wakeskater_X, 11 February 2012 - 05:08 AM.

My Games: 

#19 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

I mean, I can't write while jumping over chasms in a notebook, so I expect Julius can't either.

*GASP* You mean you haven't yet mastered the art of extreme multitasking? (Don't worry, neither have I :D)
Well then, I guess we should make that an unlockable ability. Or we could even go the more awesome route of adding slow motion when you do it in midair. But really, you can't freeze time when you're standing there writing stuff down irl, either, so what's so different about doing it while jumping around too?

Also I can't believe it! 87 plays before even our first update! That's pretty awesome, It'll be nice to add some content to make the game a little more fun.

And that's not including whoever downloaded the ZIP, either.
Edit: Whoa, it's 95 plays now! Awesome. :)

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 11 February 2012 - 01:38 AM.

image.png

#20 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

OKAY, we finally have an update to Julius Dragonslayer!

Check out the details here:
http://spaceblasterx...ulius-town.html

But go check out the sandbox link, it should be updated.
Here:
http://sandbox.yoyog...us-dragonslayer

So many fixes, and changes if you haven't tried out JDragonslayer yet, now is a good time to test out the game play, and if you have and were a little confused or frustrated, then it should be a lot clearer on what to do.

If you can get the scripts: Jump Dash and Fireball, then you've finished what we have so far as content (at least you got all the main stuff). There are lots of hidden paths and secrets in these 4 levels too so try to find some and see what stuff you can get ;D

Enjoy! The game play is way better, dying is less frustrating and you have lives now! Cheers!

~WakeskaterX~

edit: wow 122 plays... almost as many as SBX a game I actually finished >_> This game will probably surpass that within the week XD

Edited by wakeskater_X, 13 February 2012 - 05:31 PM.

My Games: 

#21 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

Hey! Work is still being done, it's been a busy week though!

If you like League of Legends, check out the Champion Design i posted in my blog here: http://spaceblasterx...cument-lol.html

Also, we'll have updates to JD coming probably some time this next week.

AND, I want to ask you the player: What kind of words would you like to see in JD? Post some words, but include an explanation of what the word does and why it would be cool. If we like your words we might just add them in! I want to see what kind of ideas you guys have. We'll be adding many many words in the game, and if you have some good ideas and explain them clearly, maybe we'll do something special for ya (or let you in on some of the secrets of JD--as we add content there are more and more secrets in the game).

Stay tuned and if you haven't tried the latest file, you'll notice that it is heavily upgraded from the Jam version in terms of game play, UI, and difficulty. There is more content too, but we'll be expanding on that soon.

In the works: A BOSS! New Story Scenes! More Words (Always More Words) ;D

My Games: 

#22 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:31 AM

I love it. Just needs more than two frames for enemies, and dropped lives and health. I don't like it that when I go to the first room, all enemies return...>_>
MXfDv0N.png > braveadventurer@quest-DUTIMS:~$ _ don tseethebr akuhhuh Thread - Mirror - Tumblr

nIdGebz.png

#23 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

Enemies respawn so that you can farm them for patterns and ink. As you progress ink = health and lives as you collect the corresponding words :)

ATM there is 1 word for an extra life and 2 different words that recover HP. Red Words Disappear after 1 use btw. Plus there is an HP recovery pool there as well that you can stand in if you get low.

I'm glad you like it! It'll become a lot more polished as we get bosses and lots of content developed.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 17 February 2012 - 04:01 AM.

My Games: 

#24 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

First post has been updated (finally)! Take some time to read through the whole thing. ;)
Be sure to check out the link to Wake's LoL thing in his post too! He wants to get a job with them, so leave a comment or two there.

TheUltimate

image.png

#25 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Ive been super busy, but we'll be working on getting some new stuff out in March.

Look for:
- The First Boss! Arrr!
- The entrance to the cave levels will be added.
- Underground adventures as you travel deep in the caverns to defeat the evil dragon!

We'll be working on new stuff when we get the time, but we've all been fairly busy.

My Games: 

#26 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

OK New Updated added!

V 0_5 is out!

What is new:

An upgraded battle system! NOTE After selecting a word from your notebook you now have to press SPACE to use it. It gets stored in a slot at the top of the screen. As the game progresses (later) you can get more slots and load up words for later use.

Also there are some new words and adjustments to some of the levels added in. Boss 1's area is ready, just awaiting graphics to begin programming him. Also Level1 is changed so that going to the caves can be implemented.

Check out the new file: http://sandbox.yoyog...us-dragonslayer

And the new blog post: http://spaceblasterx...tle-system.html

Cheers!

Edited by wakeskater_X, 03 March 2012 - 05:08 AM.

My Games: 

#27 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

New blog post here: http://spaceblasterx...va-caverns.html

There is no update yet, but we are getting closer and closer to a large content update. The post above shows a little of what has been added and what you will have a chance to see in the next big update.

For now we've got our work cut out for us, and there is never enough time to get it all done it seems, but never fear, updates will be coming soon.

If you have any suggestions or ideas for words you would like to see in the game, feel free to let us know! With JD, we have a lot of flexibility in spells and words we can add.

If you have a good idea, submit it with a short explanation of the word and what it does.

Cheers!

~Wake~

EDIT: Actually I broke down and made a new update! The Pirate boss isn't there yet but you can get the word "Bomb" from the area he'll be in to progress farther in the level 1 area to the east. (Which is where you need to go, and will be said later in the story line)

Edited by wakeskater_X, 10 March 2012 - 05:51 AM.

My Games: 

#28 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:14 AM

Lol, I love how Wake suddenly has TWICE as many posts in this topic as me now...
The three of us have been kinda busy lately, but Wake's apparently been adding stuff to the game, so when the update comes, he'll let you know. But, if you're REALLY curious about the new content and can't stand the suspense, feel free to check out the *ahem* test level in the first post.

TheUltimate

image.png

#29 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

Well, I've been really busy so work will be slow for a while on this game. My car is out of commission atm, I'm replacing the head gasket on it and it's the first time I'm taking an engine apart. So all my free time is going into getting that fixed. Once that's done (in a week i hope) we'll have some more work on Julius coming out, but for now sit tight and if you would like to write up a sandbox review, we'd be awfully appreciative of it :).

Let us know how it is, good/bad, things you like/don't like, well constructed feedback is always appreciated.

My Games: 

#30 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

Well, I had some free time today, so there is a new update to JD!

The first boss is now in the game! You will have to face off against a mean ol' nasty pirate in order to advance in the game.

Check out the yoyo games link for the updated link and I'll probably have a new blog post here soon with some screenshots of the new boss!

edit: NEW BLOG POST: http://spaceblasterx...e-vs-ninja.html
edit: GAME LINK: http://sandbox.yoyog...us-dragonslayer

Check it out we've got lots of stuff comin your way.

Coming Soon:
Boss 1 music.
Townspeople in the Town area.
The next part of the caves.
Bug fixes.
and of course: More words!

Thanks folks!

Edited by wakeskater_X, 18 March 2012 - 07:15 AM.

My Games: 

#31 Bjorn Morrison

Bjorn Morrison

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

Hey guys, this is great.

I can't wait to see where you take it. A few notes:

The word 'recover' is sitting on an invisible platform
You should mention the space bar in your help text
The space bar behaviour seems strange to me. I used it to equip the sword, which then worked on my attack key, but later, I used it to ready some throwing daggers, which I then threw on a second press of the space bar. Not sure what is intended here, but it needs consistency.
Trying to equip the sword before picking up the red ink doesn't work, and there is nothing telling you why not. The whole idea of needing ink for things is not explained.
The rock throwing rock monsters see you and throw rocks at you, even when facing away from you
Hitting an enemy should restart, or at least delay their timer for attacking you, in my humble opinion.
Your graphics are cute, effective, clear and appropriate. Stop that, it makes my terrible graphics look even worse!

I genuinely think this has a lot of potential, and already looks bloody awesome. The platforming is good, I didn't get stuck ever, and the words/ink idea is great.
Bjorn

Current titles:

Cupid Cannot Miss - score attack heart shooting game for Android.

Monster Putt - Hole-in-one mini-golf without green contours. WIP forum link

King vs Indies - PvZ clone for CandyJam - WIP forum link

Candy Break King - 4 player Breakout for CandyJam - WIP forum link
SMEW - A puzzle game. In space. WIP forum link,
Tickle Dice - A card game. WIP forum link,
Frank - a Tetris/Platformer mashup. Announcement thread
TDRT - Top Down Racer Toybox. WIP forum link

#32 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

WHOA! AN UPDATE!
And feedback too! Well this is a good day. :D

Spoiler

I have a bunch of new ideas too, now that I've played most of the way through the game. Gotta go add them sometime. :)

TheUltimate

image.png

#33 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

The space bar should be explained better. When you use a black word with space, if you press it again it will auto bring up the last word again, and then you can use again with space. Ink's have numbers next to them I believe, but there is no number on the ink screen. We might make a little ink meter that shows up when you open the notebook to let you know exactly how much ink you have (that's a good idea actually).

Yea we can change the rock monsters throwing stuff at you blind XD.

Thanks for the feedback Bjorn, it's much appreciated. We need these kinds of things brought to light because I ALWAYS grab the red ink before using the sword, so I don't think of it :)

edit: I don't want you to use enter for it for that reason. The whole point of changing it is so you can time when you use your spell (especially for projectiles etc) so that it makes it simpler, like you can load up spells then use them later. This becomes more convenient when you can use load up more than 1 spell (OOH i might make the rock boss drop the upgrade for this) >8D

edit2: Recover is there so that after you get reveal and you use it, you see that there is in fact a platform there and you can get to it. That's the idea anyway. Even though you need to jump on invisible platforms to get reveal >_> which I might change lol.

edit3: @BJORN Ok, so there are 3 different throwing dagger spells, one EQUIPS throwing knives one is dagger toss which throws them as a spell on use horizontally, and one is dagger throw which throws them as a spell on use upward. We really need to make a word explanation list or something in the game that gives a short description.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 19 March 2012 - 12:27 PM.

My Games: 

#34 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

edit3: @BJORN Ok, so there are 3 different throwing dagger spells, one EQUIPS throwing knives one is dagger toss which throws them as a spell on use horizontally, and one is dagger throw which throws them as a spell on use upward. We really need to make a word explanation list or something in the game that gives a short description.

Or... how about just having Dagger Toss as a one-use spell, and Ninja Stars as an equippable item? That way we can avoid confusion and have more variety.

TheUltimate

image.png

#35 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

I think i'm going to organize Equips differently, like the word to equip the sword will be Sword Equip and other stuff in similar fashion, like Knives Equip or Windblade Equip. This will distinguish equippable items from usable items.

My Games: 

#36 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

Version 0.0.8 is here!

You can download it at the usual location here:

What is NEW this patch:

- Boss 1: His attack rotation quickens below 30% HP and there are now cross hairs for the fire cannonball drop to let you know where they will be.
- Ink values are now displayed above the ink bars so you know exactly how much you have.
- Tougher enemies will now drop more red ink if you have 100 black ink already.
- 5 new Red Words added to the game!
- Thrower enemies (just the gray ones for now) give a little more feedback, they now jump before they throw!
- Space bar tutorial floaty thing added to level 1.
- Fixed an issue with big inks.
- Equippable Items from words now have the word Equip on them to distinguish from spells.
- Attacks now have an element / attribute assigned to them!

Attributes in game are:
- Normal, Cut, Fire, Energy, Explosive, Ice and Wind
(Ice slowing enemies added as well)

To be added eventually:
- Electric

There are probably some other little things too so if you see an issue let me know! Stay tuned for a blog post probably tomorrow, I am ultra super tired tonight, but will post something tomorrow at some time.

Cheers!
~WakeskaterX~

P.S. If you have an IndieDB or ModDB Profile feel free to add me: http://www.indiedb.c...ers/wakeskaterx

also: NEW BLOG POST: http://spaceblasterx...nts-to-j-d.html

Edited by wakeskater_X, 26 March 2012 - 09:10 PM.

My Games: 

#37 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

*happydance*
MXfDv0N.png > braveadventurer@quest-DUTIMS:~$ _ don tseethebr akuhhuh Thread - Mirror - Tumblr

nIdGebz.png

#38 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

*happydance*

I assume that is.....

positive feedback? O_o Lol

My Games: 

#39 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

Nice. :) It's getting more awesome every update. (Yeah, I'm still too busy to really contribute as much as I'd like to, so I'm just playing through it once in a while)
Anyway, here's a random gift for you. I half-edited, half-made a sprite for the boss, so it's easier to tell what he's about to do and dodge his attacks. Enjoy. :)
Posted Image

TheUltimate

image.png

#40 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

NEW UPDATE: V 0.09!

What is new:

First of all there is a new level! Yes after the first cave area, you can now get to the 2nd cave area which will lead you down into the nest of the dragon! He's not there yet, but there is a room set aside for the boss number 3! (coming soon!)

There are a few other things as well, like... a new type of enemy! Watch out for the evil Wizlochs! They will teleport and shoot fire at you so be careful! There are ever more dangers now in the fiery caverns!

Also there are of course, new words such as "Lightning Ball" - a typical lightning type spell that zaps nearby enemies! A few of the signs in the last area won't make sense as the level wall hasn't been implemented yet, but feel free to explore and fight off the enemies in the new area!

There are even more secrets to find and discover as you drop into the depths of Julius Dragonslayer!

I'll try to get a new blog post up tonight at my blog:
http://spaceblasterx.blogspot.com/

*edit* New Blog Post:
http://spaceblasterx...-part-deux.html

And check out the download here:

Well, let us know what you think!

Coming Soon:
- Lives will cap out and show a times multiplier after 4
- Journey Stones to save your game!
- Using the teleporters will use K/X (action button) instead of automatically.

Thanks for reading!

~WakeskaterX~

Edited by wakeskater_X, 05 April 2012 - 04:57 AM.

My Games: 

#41 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

lol, I'm stuck on a wall:
Posted ImagePosted Image
fell down and *BAM* I'm inside a wall!!!
Posted ImageRate this topic:0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

#42 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

Aw crap... did you try the unstuck word?

There is a word called unstuck for that reason, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt :(

Yeah, it's rare that you get stuck, i'm still not sure why though, it's only when you are moving real fast. Or sometimes when you get hit weird.

EDIT: I'll double check the masks for a few things, and i'll try to see if i can fix the problem, it might be that it's a downward collision and I can make the unstuck work properly. (I should make unstuck work a little better, i'll get on that :D)

Edited by wakeskater_X, 05 April 2012 - 05:58 AM.

My Games: 

#43 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

tried the unstuck word, didn't work and I closed out. :(

#44 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

tried the unstuck word, didn't work and I closed out. :(

Bah sorry man, I'll try and see if i can get that fixed ( as well as making the unstuck word... actually unstick you )

Well thanks for tryin the game, hope outside of the stuck you liked it :)

It's so hard to replicate getting stuck that it's tough to check my unstuck command easily :( But I think I fixed the word, and it should be more powerful for getting you out of walls.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 05 April 2012 - 06:58 AM.

My Games: 

#45 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

If you're curious and want to get a taste of the newest level that's coming out, check out the first post!
Also Wake, you may want to remove the HAX icon from the first level. Just saying. :)

TheUltimate

image.png

#46 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

how do you make it?(the unstuck word, please just a simple explanation)

#47 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

"Also Wake, you may want to remove the HAX icon from the first level. Just saying. "

What? It shouldn't be there I thought i removed it before I made the new version!

Grr...

Okay the newest file should not have that HAX icon there... that's for testing purposes only ;D

Let me know if it still does... maybe some weird code that shouldn't happen though - NEW FILE UPLOADED

also to answer your question:

"how do you make it?(the unstuck word, please just a simple explanation)"

I check left and right if the place is free and move the character there if it is free (also I move him up a few pixels) So when you accidentally get stuck, it should teleport you 8 pixels left or right depending on what is free... At LEAST that is the idea (i have no idea how to test this properly since I can never seem to get myself stuck)

btw... looks like someone 1 starred our game on sandbox.... mason dickson line... (edited)

Edited by wakeskater_X, 07 April 2012 - 08:27 AM.

My Games: 

#48 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

"how do you make it?(the unstuck word, please just a simple explanation)"

I check left and right if the place is free and move the character there if it is free (also I move him up a few pixels) So when you accidentally get stuck, it should teleport you 8 pixels left or right depending on what is free... At LEAST that is the idea (i have no idea how to test this properly since I can never seem to get myself stuck)

btw... looks like someone 1 starred our game on sandbox.... dicks...

thanks for telling me!!!!
plus, wwwwhhhhaaaatttt?! their nerves!
language! Mr. Wakeskater_X please edit.

sincerely,
ACTERS124

#49 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

We now have more and better screenshots! Best part? They're animated. Yeah.

We've had plenty of feedback on the graphics and the gameplay, but what do you guys think of everything else, like the music and the level design? Do you prefer Wake's huge, expansive levels with a lot of exploration, or do you prefer mine, with lots of level elements like fireballs, collapsing platforms, and underground rivers? Or maybe a combination of both? (Be sure to go check out the first post to try them both!)

TheUltimate

image.png

#50 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

So I'm just looking around the forum and replying to some of my other stuff, and figured while I'm at it, I may as well post something... uh... completely useless in this topic. (Not gonna post in the Colour My World topic until I redo the graphics... sorry to anyone who's actually following progress for that)

Coming up next in version 0.10:
=== Save points, also known as Journey Stones
=== Hitting K or X to teleport instead of it happening straight away
=== The river section, MAYBE
=== Better graphical effects like background scrolling
=== Whatever else we think of putting in between now and the update
=== Longer music for the cave level that loops correctly!

Go try the game if you haven't! It's totally worth it.

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 16 April 2012 - 09:39 PM.

image.png