9 replies to this topic

#1 GHZteam

GHZteam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 276 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:12 AM

I plan to start working on games and porting them over to GMS when it comes out but before I waste my time I'd like to ask a few questions. I'm sure we're all full of questions.
Firstly;

1.) I understand that we will not be able to use DLL files when exporting our projects to iOS and Android platforms but are we able to use extensions? (ie: for Physics)
I did hear somewhere that GMS may have Box2D as a physics engine somewhere. I don't know if that's a final decision or just an idea.

2.) Will GMS offer OpenGL as an alternative for Direct3D? Or can we not export 3D games for Mac, iOS and Android?

3.) Can we use external files with exported formats other than *.exe? (music, models)

4.) How will multi-player games come to be? I can just see Apple flipping their lid on an App that connects to the internet.

That's all I have for now. Some of the questions might be easy to answer but I'm just curious on these matters.

#2 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

1. It depends on the target platform, but tweets from Russel and Mike today imply that extensions aren't supported on iOS (due to Apple restrictions).
2. Since there have been YYG published 3D games on iOS and Android, I would expect that it will work fine for the Studio apps too. There's no reason 3D wouldn't work on Mac either.
3. I would expect so, but I haven't seen anything official confirming either way
4. The entire purpose of some iOS apps is to connect to the internet. What's the point of a facebook app that can't connect to facebook?
I don't know if mobile will support multiplayer from the get go, but I'm doubtful.

#3 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3282 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

1. They aren't there yet, but we are working to try and get extensions working, but you would have to write them up to 5 times (so far!) if you want full cross platform usage!! (Win,HTML5,iOS,Android,Mac)

2. 3D is fully working on iOS/Android and Mac

3. yes, but with caution. These systems have limited memory, and some graphics issues that mean you could burn memory without realising.

4. There is currently no multiplayer in Studio. But when we get extensions working, you'll be able to use sockets with extensions.

#4 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2493 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

1. They aren't there yet, but we are working to try and get extensions working, but you would have to write them up to 5 times (so far!) if you want full cross platform usage!! (Win,HTML5,iOS,Android,Mac)

2. 3D is fully working on iOS/Android and Mac

3. yes, but with caution. These systems have limited memory, and some graphics issues that mean you could burn memory without realising.

4. There is currently no multiplayer in Studio. But when we get extensions working, you'll be able to use sockets with extensions.

I would think eventually there would be extensions

Yup this was confirmed by a video mike showed me. In fact I am now using GM for one of my university units due to that. Cheers Mike for making my life easier!

There is text_read support as mike told me a while back.

(@Mike - Huh. Didn't even think about that. So I'm assuming it would be wise if we made as much of the game's resources internal? Also this is a concern I'm sure you have a solution to. What becomes of MP3s? How do they get dealt with?)

Defo not going to be for a while. A feature like that will take time for YoyoGames to master and get aid from Apple and Google regarding all connecting gizmo-wat-do-you-call-it

(@Mike - Wait really? That's pretty cool)

EDIT: If I were you, I'd use only the features that you find in Game Maker Lite. No doubt Mike and the others have the majority of the Game Maker Lite functions in GMS

Edited by King Tetiro, 31 January 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#5 benoit.rouleau

benoit.rouleau

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

<SNIP> Anybody else with me?

Edited by Nocturne, 01 February 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#6 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21991 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

<SNIP> Anybody else with me?

No, nobody else is with you... Please refrain from personal attacks criticisms and keep your comments ON topic, please!

#7 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1239 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

There should be an official topic for all the stuff we know so far or something, these questions are getting asked over and over :/

#8 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

There should be an official topic for all the stuff we know so far or something, these questions are getting asked over and over :/

Agreed. Most people don't want to look through dozen-page topics about GMStudio to find stuff like this.

I'm glad there will be extension support. I couldn't live without them (I mainly use extensions/DLLs for sound purposes. The default GM sound functions are, frankly, terrible for most games).

#9 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

I'm glad there will be extension support. I couldn't live without them (I mainly use extensions/DLLs for sound purposes.).

"Extensions" and "DLLs" are completely different. DLLs will NOT work on any system other than Windows! A separate extension would need to be designed for each platform you were exporting to, unless it's a GML only extension.

#10 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

I'm glad there will be extension support. I couldn't live without them (I mainly use extensions/DLLs for sound purposes.).

"Extensions" and "DLLs" are completely different. DLLs will NOT work on any system other than Windows! A separate extension would need to be designed for each platform you were exporting to, unless it's a GML only extension.

I know. I meant that I use both extensions and DLLs for sound stuff. But I can live without the DLLs as long as there is an extension which does what I need it to (An iOS supersound extension or something like that would be awesome).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users