34 replies to this topic

#1 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3185 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

So, some of you may have noticed that the GMC was down for several hours.

Well, the server had crashed and took the database with it. I've just spent a lovely Saturday afternoon repairing the damn thing. It's not obviously up and running again, but the database did take some damage, including (most significantly) the user database.

It looks like many users have lost their accounts (mine included!!), so you will have to re-register I'm afraid. You should be able to use the same name, but you will have lost your stats, friends and the like.

Sorry about this, but it's beyond our control.

The newly exported Database is also significantly smaller than I was expecting, so it may have lost lots of posts as well, I can't tell.

Again, sorry if this is the case.

Once I get my shiney Admin rights back *sigh* I'll look into things further, not that there's much more I can do about it, but I'll try and help where I can.

Mike

EDIT: If someone has had to re-register, can you please post here....I have a theory, but I'd like to hear from others first.

Edited by Mike.Dailly, 28 January 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#2 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

I am still alive...

#3 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

I didn't lose my account, but don't you guys have backups of the database for this thing? :whistle:

#4 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3185 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

We have some backups, but they're pretty old and I'm loath to lose the posts, and I don't know enough about IPB to be able to merge "just" the user data base.

I have taken another backup now, and it is much larger than the 1st, closer to what I was expecting, so we should be good now - except for a few user accounts. (fingers crossed). With (lots) of luck, I'm the only dead one :rolleyes:

#5 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2706 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

My account is still here =D

#6 nickydude

nickydude

MadLad Designs

• GMC Member
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

No problem with my account as far as I can tell. :)

#7 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

I'm still here.

#8 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3185 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Oh... and if there are any Admins around, can you please upgrade me again... Russell isn't about :geek:

#9 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3060 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Oh... and if there are any Admins around, can you please upgrade me again... Russell isn't about :geek:

Yes, until then you are one of us Mike. Posted Image

Edited by Mr. RPG, 28 January 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#10 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

Posted Image

I suggest this teaches you all to do daily backups. I was so shocked to see the gmc was not working.

#12 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1581 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Yes, I used to be FredFredrickson before my account got blitzed, and I decided to pinch Druid TC's user name. Can you re-upgrade me too please, while you're at it? :snitch:

#13 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Not going to happen, Mike. We're rebelling against your tyranny. :medieval:

#14 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

I SURVIVED!!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH! But let us now mourn for those who died in this historical and tragic event.

#15 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3185 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

I suggest this teaches you all to do daily backups. I was so shocked to see the gmc was not working.

We certainly need to try and find time to set up a proper cyclic backup like the rest of the server stuff.... Spare time isn't something we're drowning in. :sad:

It was actually the server crash which corrupted the database, and I think the reason my account was lost, was that it wasn't "fully up" yet. Now that it is, I think a lot of "Lost accounts" have come back - I can only hope.

I don't really care that mine was reset, but it'd be nice if others didn't lose settings/stats etc.

#16 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Yes, there is still hope that the others survived...

#17 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Looks like the Yoyogames sandbox site is having some trouble now ._.

Edited by orange08, 28 January 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#18 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Oh great. Maybe a virus got in the system somehow.

#19 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

NOT AGAIN O_O

#20 RedChu

RedChu

Demented Misanthrope

• Global Moderators
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

This is most likely the work of the government.

#21 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Umm. Couldn't you program it to backup the site to do hourly backups. Like it takes 1/24 of all the data on the site each hour, so it will not be as slow...

#22 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3185 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

we'll get it added to our todo list...

sandbox going down was unrelated.

#23 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

Okay that sounds swell. Just keep working on GM Studio. Aplso, can I ask you a quick programer's question via pm or skype?

#24 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3185 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

Sorry, You'll have to post here, and if I get time, I'll answer. Chances are...someone else will be able to anyway.

#25 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

Can you guys really blame yoyogames for not making backups? They've been working their butts off making HTML5 and are still working their butts off making GM studio. Honestly, I'm suprised more problems haven't happened.

#26 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3815 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

Hmm I wonder, what happened with all topics/posts you created on the "lost" account(s)? - Should we see lots of broken topics now, or are they just having a weird "poster" (like guest_*). (Well..... weirder than normally :P)

#27 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3185 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

No, the topics seem fine, but if you click on the the user who posted them, you get a user doesn't exist message. *shrug* it seems to just be me that was buggered, so I can live with that :smile:

#28 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• Retired Staff
  • 4772 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

Umm. Couldn't you program it to backup the site to do hourly backups. Like it takes 1/24 of all the data on the site each hour, so it will not be as slow...

Back-ups are obviously an important tool, but the thing about back-ups is, if the database is trashed, the back-up may be as well. Ironically, the more frequently back-ups are created, the more likely they will be worthless because a problem wasn't detected soon enough.

What you may be thinking of is archiving the database so that it can be rolled back to a specific time before some failure. The storage requirements for archiving a forum as large as the GMC can become prohibitive pretty quickly depending upon the archival frequency. I think a month of daily archives would require a couple hundred gigabytes of archival storage. That seems reasonable to me, but its not really my department or area of expertise, and my calculations may not be correct.

#29 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3185 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

If you dump the SQL database it will only "dump" if it's valid. When there are errors in it, you get a message telling you to fix it. Not always true... but mostly.

You should also have a cyclic backup. Storing a few copies (one a week or so) for a while. This gives you a "history" to fall back on. One of them would usually work.

On the plus side.... I've not heard of anyone else having account issues. :smile:

#30 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 7580 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

My account seems to be alive... and I'm really grateful for that, what with all the time I've spent trying to be helpful on these forums. Having all of that lost would've had a tremendous impact on my feelings.

I'm glad it seems the problems are relatively small, though, even though a bunch of important stuff was missing since (Waaaah! How are we gonna survive without all of Mike Dailly's topics?! *sniff*)

Edited by Yal, 31 January 2012 - 01:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users