#1 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hello There!

Here is Parapals, one of my smaller html5 games i am working on. Parapals is a simple game and the idea of the game is to use you mouse/finger/thumb anywhere to move your Pal to avoid hitting any floating rocks, planes and now homing missiles that whiz by, also don't forget to pick up the stars you can then use them to Purchase more pals, less rocks and planes etc to help you get an even bigger high score!

Posted Image

If you are able to I recommend playing on the iphone or ipod touch it works extremely well! For best results add it to home screen :)

Play It Here: Parapals
Click here for more screen shots and descriptions
*the download link on the games page on my website is a slightly outdated .exe if you interested in downloading it

Changes

- added two new items to the shop
- shop prices have been altered
- difficulty has been tweaked
- added homing rockets to avoid
- movement has been changed to allow for more freedom on touch devices
- menu and splash screen have been added

A couple of glitches exist still and these are

- you can move outside the room
- there is no feedback given when purchasing a new Pal

Edited by GM Studios, 20 May 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#2 Timmo

Timmo

GMC Member

• 558 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

Nice little game, i liked the atmoshpere and that the graphics were nicely made and fit together! Trophy system is also nice and keeps the player play the game on and on :)

#3 Joe H

Joe H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 352 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

It was neat, although my eyes started going buggy. I like how the little guy lands on a cloud instead of *splat* on someones roof. Once the game ended I couldn't get to the trophy system. Also, does it end or just keep going until you hit something?

#4 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Nice little game, i liked the atmoshpere and that the graphics were nicely made and fit together! Trophy system is also nice and keeps the player play the game on and on :)

Thank you! Trophy system? you sure you don't mean the shop where you can "upgrade", i am currently working on adding trophies/achievements for that exact reason. :)

It was neat, although my eyes started going buggy. I like how the little guy lands on a cloud instead of *splat* on someones roof. Once the game ended I couldn't get to the trophy system. Also, does it end or just keep going until you hit something?

Did your eyes go buggy due to the speed after awhile? The game just keeps going until you can't handle it anymore and hit a rock :P At the moment the trophy/achievement isn't working i think Timmo was referring to the shop.

Out of curiosity what score are you achieving? Also are you playing it within the browser?

Edited by GM Studios, 28 January 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#5 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

I very much like the graphics, great job on that.
Gameplay has a nice ambience about it, but is a bit slow for me, I played for a few minutes, and had only 30 stars (not enough to purchase) and the game didn't change considerably in that time, so I'm afraid I'm lacking incentive to continue. It's not bad, but it's lacking a bit for me.. no idea what. A goal?

Played on a PC, btw.

#6 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

I very much like the graphics, great job on that.
Gameplay has a nice ambience about it, but is a bit slow for me, I played for a few minutes, and had only 30 stars (not enough to purchase) and the game didn't change considerably in that time, so I'm afraid I'm lacking incentive to continue. It's not bad, but it's lacking a bit for me.. no idea what. A goal?

Played on a PC, btw.

Thankyou for trying it. As for having a goal e.c.t i was planning on adding the previously mentioned awards to give it more of a replay value however i think that will have to wait for a native version. I have tweaked the prices in the shop (most start at 50) and added a couple more items, so hopefully people will see how close they are to something and go again. i have also tweaked the difficulty abit so it should be fairly possibly to get around 60 stars first go.

Big Update people :)

The game is practically finished just a few minor adjustments and additions and hopefully i't should be complete by the end tomorrow if I push myself. I have edited the first post to include the changes I've made. Enjoy!

New Version
Parapals Webpage (if your interested)

Edited by GM Studios, 16 February 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#7 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 801 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

General thoughts when playing through
  • Sometimes stars would spawn inside of the rocks
  • It appeared as though the rocks immediately were destroyed if y < 0, which made it noticeable, likewise they appeared to spawn on screen instead of offscreen as well, meaning if you were close enough to the bottom when one of them spawned you would immediately die because it spawned on top of you.
  • The change in control to allow touch anywhere is nice, and something I wanted when I first played this a long while back
  • Sounds would be nice, graphics are good enough
  • Game over screen is way too slow
  • It doesn't really feel like you're falling. Kind of hard to explain, but I think it's fine enough for now.
  • It felt like the interface could use some more animation
  • The score is pointless, because you do not keep track of a high score
  • Triple stars is unimplemented
  • Sometimes a warning for a rock coming up from the bottom but because the rock was on the very edge of the screen the warning was barely visible
  • It appeared as though sometimes a warning from the side would result in nothing spawning
  • The last character could not collect stars (didn't wait to try airplane / rocket)

#8 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thankyou for the detailed list! I appreciate the feedback. :)

I have gone through your list and made a few amendments

-Stars should no longer spawn inside rocks (with a rare exception)
-rocks were be destroyed at < 0 I have since changed this
-Sped up the gameover screen slightly
-Triple stars are implemented I have tested numerous times to make sure it wasn't a bug and seems to work fine
-I have yet to replicate the no spawns on the side
-I have edited the final character you can now collect stars with her

In addition to your list i have also made a few changes listed below

-Changes to difficulty for playing on mobile devices since I play tested with a couple of younger kids
-I have also added a handy auto save feature so now your purchases and stars will be there the next time you return (so long as you don't erase your history)

Edited by GM Studios, 16 April 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#9 dereklarue

dereklarue

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

I was able to move the player off the screen... but other than that great job!

#10 Mornez

Mornez

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Cool...add some sounds...and maybe it would be better if you could just move the character with the mouse...without clicking and holding arrow on them.

#11 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Cheers :)

I forgot to add that I did a little update this, nothing special but now no character should be able to move of the screen and the shop should be fixed along with some extra feedback to show you've actually paid for one of the upgrades.

Unless there are any more bugs you come across this will be the final update until studio is released! Please enjoy and post anymore suggestions as I haven't stopped development on this yet.

#12 Mornez

Mornez

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

(Bump)...Add sounds...and the ability to move character without holding down the mouse button.

See this game for example...

http://sandbox.yoyog...kydiver-mach-ii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users