12 replies to this topic

#1 jorgen91

jorgen91

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hello,

To start with my first post... i want to give a solution on how to fix the error with the text_edit.bmp error when using several of gm4mac functions.

So here is the solution.

You open finder.

Go in to Applications.

Right click "game maker" (game maker.app) and click "show package content".

Go in to contents->MacOS and extract YoYo70.tar.gz.

Then go in to Contents->Resources and duplicate the file named 0.bmp and rename this file to text_edit.bmp.

Go in to terminal found by going in to Applications/Utilities.

Use command:
cd "/Applications/Game Maker.app/Contents/MacOS"
(this should be the location of your game maker and its sub directories)

Now use this command to compress the file:
tar -zcvf YoYo70.tar.gz Contents

And this command to delete the unnecessary files that we extracted:
rm -fr Contents

You have now fixed this issue. This is a permanent fix (worked for me).

With best regards,
Jorgen

#2 vonStauffenberg

vonStauffenberg

GMC Member

• 25 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hello,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your fix for this disturbing bug, unfortunately GM4Mac users are second class citizens for Yoyo Games as you will soon realize.Posted Image

#3 1 Shogun

1 Shogun

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:45 AM

Hello,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your fix for this disturbing bug, unfortunately GM4Mac users are second class citizens for Yoyo Games as you will soon realize.Posted Image

I just got the pro version of GM4Mac near the end of December and I am also starting to see just how much Yo Yo says No No to Mac users. I think they used the same source code (or whatever you want to call it) that they used for Windows and expected it to run just as smoothly or smoother because its a Mac.

#4 1 Shogun

1 Shogun

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:51 AM

Thank you so much jorgen91 for the help. The only issue I have now is that the message boxes automatically select yes or okay when using the enter key to invoke the message. Also, would you know anything about why the message boxes won't re-size when using code to do it? I can get the background and text to change but that's it. And, sometimes the message button's mouse boundaries are off.

#5 vonStauffenberg

vonStauffenberg

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

1327981533[/url]' post='3899709']

1327689008[/url]' post='3897674']
Hello,

I just got the pro version of GM4Mac near the end of December and I am also starting to see just how much Yo Yo says No No to Mac users. I think they used the same source code (or whatever you want to call it) that they used for Windows and expected it to run just as smoothly or smoother because its a Mac.

Porting GM for windows to Mac is not an easy task, Mac OS X has a total different API and of course lacks Directx, it is obvious that all his human resources are concentrated on the developing of the new windows software and GM4Mac it's not financially interesting Posted Image

#6 1 Shogun

1 Shogun

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thank you so much jorgen91 for the help. The only issue I have now is that the message boxes automatically select yes or okay when using the enter key to invoke the message. Also, would you know anything about why the message boxes won't re-size when using code to do it? I can get the background and text to change but that's it. And, sometimes the message button's mouse boundaries are off.

Okay, I fixed the automatically selecting yes or okay issue with the message box. I had the event set to Key-press Enter instead of Key-release and was "seeping through." When in doubt Key-release or Mouse-release. Still can't figure out why I can't re-size the message box. I may just have to duplicate the background used and re-size. If anyone is currently watching this post, do you have this issue also?

Here is a sample code:

//Enter Release Event:
message_background(bk_BlueGradient);
message_size(room_width/3,room_height/4);
message_text_font(font_Statistics,18,c_white,1); //font_Statistics is an installed font.
if show_question('Can you help me please?') = true
{
do some code... //No show_message or anything like that in here..
}

Edited by 1 Shogun, 01 February 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#7 max_r_61270

max_r_61270

GMC Member

• 411 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, the situation is pretty sucky. I have been using the trial version, hoping that YoYo will actually fix some of the many bugs, and then I'll buy the full version. I'm kind of waiting to hear what plans they have for future releases too. Right now, the compatibility between PC and Mac GM is horrible. They've got a lot of work to do before they have a product that many people will be interested in buying

#8 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

According to W3 Schools, Mac makes up roughly 9% of the world's OSes, with Windows being over 80%.

So, you can kind of tell why GM:Windows is more important to YYG than GM:Mac.

#9 max_r_61270

max_r_61270

GMC Member

• 411 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

According to W3 Schools, Mac makes up roughly 9% of the world's OSes, with Windows being over 80%.

Yeah but

#10 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yeah but

But what?

#11 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 7935 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Because YYGs most attrative market is Indie Game Developers, and one of the most attractive markets for Indie Game developers is iOS. These developers have Macs.

#12 mykyl1966

mykyl1966

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thank you for fixing what these guys could have fixed in seconds with an update. Perhaps you could contact them and tell them how to fix it so that others don't get frustrated by it.

Thanks

Mike

#13 heavyhorse

heavyhorse

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 10 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Indeed! It is frustrating to know that every GM user on Mac has to discover Jorgen's useful post to get it resolved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users