1) You're on a vacation
2) Oldschool pirates invade the islands
I have some screenshots and a small demo here if that explanation didn't tell you enough:
<Demo with 3 complete stages>
<Original game I made 3 years ago with GM6>
Screens from the demo:
EDIT: I've decided to use a world map. So ignore this spoilered text that questions whether I should use a world map. I still need more ideas for mini-games, though. Have some?
Between platform levels, the player will have the opportunity to play mini-games, just like in Super Mario 3 and New Super Mario Bros. The point of these mini-games is to collect extra lives or helpful items, such as rideable animals with special attacks, or rare weapons such as the Steel Boomerang that can instantly kill enemies. Basically, the mini-games will be "Bonus Rounds" that provide you a chance to get items "for free", that is without risk of dying, and they'll be used to keep the player well supplied (if they're good at the mini-games) in their struggle to get past the game world.
So bear in mind that the mini-games are Bonus Rounds; they should preferably have a well defined "End condition" and not continue until the player fails, and they should feel rewarding, it would in fact be pretty nice if the player somehow collect his rewards during the mini-game.
Such rewards are (full list):
My current ideas are:
SURFING: Don't Miss The Fruit
You are on a surfing board. Your goal is to avoid waves and grab flying fruit. 100 fruits is one extra life, plus each fruit also refills a small bit of Pep: combined life and time. Waves pushes you back, and if you get pushed out of the screen, you lose. If you manage to stay on the screen long enough, you arrive at a beach and are rewarded with a chest with some semi-random contents (e.g., like 50 knives, one Steel Boomerang, a Spikybelly Tortoise... something half-good)
You have two balloons and spiky shoes. There are five bad guys/gals with the same premises (but a single balloon). The goal is to pop the others' balloons and make them fall into the sharky water. I have this idea about also having a raft and some innocents: to save the innocents, pop their balloons so that they fall onto the raft. If a bad guy falls onto the raft, (s)he'll stay on it and push any innocents off it. When you start to run out of time, a bad guy with a musket will appear in the foreground and start popping all remaining innocents' balloons, then your balloons. Either hurry up and finish the bad guys, or if done with that, get near the raft. If you get shot down into the water, you'll leap onto the raft (losing lives in mini-games is MEAN), but if you land on the raft, you'll get some bonus points (20 000 points is an extra life) plus the added pleasure of making a teasing pose to the (highly annoyed) musket pirate as you make your getaway.
Saved innocents would reward you in multiple ways:
- If of opposite gender, you would recieve a kiss (on the cheek), that increases Hearts by 10-20 something. Hearts is also awarded from killing enemies, and 100 of them is an extra life.
- If of same gender, you recieve an random item.
- In any case, there's a chance that said innocent would "Join your party". Among other things, you can play as any party member and have any other party member following you around for support. I'm also thinking about going co-op with this.
BEACHMAGEDDON: Throw Them Safe (THX, mach3000!)
As you run on a shore, a pirate ship in the background fires cannon balls at the beach. Your goal is to
1) Avoid the cannonballs' explosions - if you're charred black, you'll lose the minigame and all further rewards.
2) Get innocents out of the way - there'll be loads of oblivious people sunbathing. Lift them up and throw them if one of the bombs threathen to hit them. You can either just hurl them offscreen for a small reward... or you can try to get them to stick on-screen 'til the goal appears and hurl them into the goal zone for a BIG reward... but the more people on the screen, the bigger the risk that someone will be exploded. Dead innocents give you no reward, so you gotta balance risk vs reward.
Oh, also people will look pretty annoyed when you violently chuck them all over the place, especially when they land and get sand in their mouth and stuff.
Edited by Yal, 21 February 2012 - 01:09 PM.