Theme Choosen By Robert3DG+

The Games Topic : http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=530276

VIDEO BY theSnidr OF ALL JAM ENTRIES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzagMN1WRdI&feature=colike

GMC Jam ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ Chat

(thanks to Zeddidragon)

The GMC Jam Countdown Clock

(thanks to ShadowLink)

A year ago, a young upstart called Dadio was raising hell on these forums asking for a new competion... Then along came another young upstart called Theophilus who suggested that we do something "different".... His idea was not about prizes or winning and becoming famous, no, his idea was to have a Community Event that brought people together to do what they do best : Make Games!!!! Now, one year later, Dadio has joined the haloed ranks of Yoyo games employees, Theophilus is now a Veteran of many GMC wars and the The GMCJam is about to have it's 5th incarnation! I am immensly proud of this fact, especially because the community has supported it throught the last year and has converted what started as a small fun mini-competition into a real community EVENT. Thanks to all of you who have participated and have made this so much fun...

Okay, enough of that maudling bullsh*t! WHEN IS THE JAM? It's at 00:01 GMT Saturday 28th January and finishing at 23:59 GMT Monday 30th so get out those calendars and note down that you will have no life other than GM and the GMC until those 72 hours have passed.

The rules are as follows :

WHAT IS IT?

The Jam is a community event that we organise to encourage people to experiment with GM and make something that will be interesting or entertaining within the limited timescale of 72 hours. The rules are pretty simple...

WHEN
  • Starts Saturday 28th January
  • 72 hours long from 00:01 AM GMT Saturday 28th ...to... 23:59 PM GMT Monday 30th

THEME
  • Each Jam has a theme, and participants are encouraged to use it.
  • Using the theme is NOT obligatory, but will be valued when voting.
  • To encourage use of theme, the highest-voted theme-based game gets to choose the theme for next Jam.
  • The theme will not be revealed until just before the start of the Jam to prevent any advantages

VOTING
  • All games are eligible (themed and non-themed), but voters should take "use of theme" into account. (Remember: non-theme games can win, but they CANNOT pick the next Jam's theme. see above.)
  • Voters choose 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as three special votes to "Best use of theme", "Best Presentation/polish", and the "Best Devblog".
  • It is OBLIGATORY that when voting you leave feedback about WHY you voted for the game(s) you chose. Failure to do so will result in your votes being removed.
  • A special "Best Reviewer" prize will be awarded by ME to the person that writes the best review (or reviews) in their voting post.
  • In order to encourage friendly community spirit, we ask that members not vote for their own game and please refrain from asking friends/family to do so if they are not part of this community. Or NPT will be sarcasm them to death...
  • Any form of cheating will result in the instant removal of your game from the Jam and being blacklisted for all further community events

PARTICIPATING
  • All games must be original creations specifically for the Jam, but you may use whatever resources you wish : EG. dll, scripts, sprites and sounds etc etc etc...
  • You may submit as many games as you wish, but only the highest rated game in the final vote will be elligible for winning any prizes.
  • Games must be posted in the Official Games Topic before the finish deadline for the Jam, and posting a topic in the Games forum here at the GMC is recommended if you want feedback and opinions as the Games Topic is ONLY FOR POSTING GAMES. Hosting is up to the individual user.
  • The Official Games Topic must contain a link to your game and a short description.
  • HTML5 Games are permitted, BUT MUST HAVE DOWNLOADABLE .EXE VERSION posted in the Official Games Topic.
  • People are welcome to use any outside sites, and are also welcome to promote such sites, but the posting of topics and the voting will be done on the GMC.
  • Teams are encouraged and can be organised by you with whomever you wish or you can participate in a random team (see below for more details)

OFFICIAL PRIZES
  • A copy of GM:Html5 will go to the winner! See addendum for information on teams.
  • Community Prizes will be as before... A special graphic/banner, bragging rights and (if your game is a themed game) the possibility of choosing the next Jam theme.
  • Prizes will also be offered as members of the community contribute whatever the feel appropriate. EG: Coverage on their web site, custom graphics for the game, a video of the gameplay for YouTube... Whatever

Addendum : If you are in a two man team, each member will get a copy of GM:HTML5. For larger teams (MAXIMUM 4 members), a 50% discount is the prize for each member. If your team is larger than 4 members, then it's up to you to decide who gets what, but no more than four 50% coupons or 2 full versions of GM:HTML5 will be issued. To be eligible for the prizes you MUST declare that your game is a collaboration in this topic or in the Official Games Topic BEFORE the end of the Jam and voting begins, stating exactly who is on your team.

ADDITIONAL PRIZES
These are prizes kindly and very generously offered to us by GMC members. To all who donate their time/experience/whatever to this community endeavor I thank you very, very much! If you wish to add a community prize (web hosting, game reviews, advertising etc...) please post in this topic and I will PM you.

• ahmed#elyamani - Offers an animated avatar and banner for the first place winner
  • orange08 - Will write a poem for EITHER the Winner of the Jam OR the game he likes best! Or both...
  • IceMetalPunk - Banner to the first place winner, a 100x100 avatar for the Best Presentation winner, and, to follow in orange08's footsteps, he shall write a poem for the top 3 winners. It will have four stanzas: one for each of the winners, and one that addresses them all collectively.
  • Beatson - Various fantastic prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, including free advertising and hosting at CrySet. Full details here : http://cryset.com/home/p/gmc_jam.php
  • BretHudson - indie(Function) will do some MINI-reviews of the winning games, as always.
  • TheUltimate - Banners for those that didn't quite make the top three (like positions 3 -8), plus a special "TheUltimate's Choice" banner for the game he liked most.
  • @Alex@ - Reviews for both the winner and the winner of the best use of the theme.
  • The IndependantGamer - Reviews of the winning entrants as well as a months advertising on the top banner of one of their magazine pages.
So thatīs the main deal with the Jam! As this is a community event, random teams are very much encouraged, so if you wish to make a team with anyone, send me a PM with your skills (programming, graphics, sound etc...) and a few days before the Jam you will be paired with someone to form a random team. You may also PM me if you wish to form a team but donīt know who with and I will place your name in this post so that anyone else looking for a teammate can PM you.

Remember everyone, the aim of the Jam is not to win, but to participate, experiment, and have as much fun as possible! Everyone that participated in the previous Jam had a great time and some fantastic and interesting games were produced, so lets see if we can make this next one even better! Oh, and to those that participated last time, PLEASE post links and screens in this topic of your games if you have continued to develop them as we are all very interested to know what became of some of them... And to everyone else, please post any questions or ideas here too so that they may be discussed by everyone, or even just post to show your support. The more the merrier!

Mark
(Nocturne)

These people are looking for TEAM MATES: (pm them if you are interested)

These people are going to make RANDOM TEAMS :

DaRk_bLaDe
LukeW23

Some banners for your signature :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22234 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

If you wish to offer community prizes PLEASE PM ME and let me know!!! Dont forget that it's not only first place that deserves a prize... we have 2nd and 3rd as well as three "best of", so lets see something for everyone.

#3 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1898 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Looks really great ! i can't wait for the next week .. luckily , i have free time :)

I'm Offering an Animated Avatar and signature for the first winner ! (By his request)

Ahmed

#4 DaRk_bLaDe

DaRk_bLaDe

Super Spy Fat Guy

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

Id join a random team if someone else wants to

#5 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2061 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

Oh yeah! Timing's good. I'll definitely, 100 (&10) % be joining in on the action this time round.
*dons codeninja mask* :ninja:

#6 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4043 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

What method will we use for voting?

#7 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7622 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

VOTING

• Voters choose 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as three special votes to "Best use of theme", "Best Presentation/polish", and the "Best Devblog".

Obviously, votes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place must all be different games. But is this also true for the "special categories"?

For example, can we vote the same game for (say) 2nd place AND best use of theme... or any other overlapping combination?

Edited by chance, 23 January 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#8 tempori

tempori

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

BRING ON THE JAM! Posted Image

#9 interpolicer

interpolicer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Bummer, can't do it in the weekend. Oh well, best of luck to all who participate!

#10 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22234 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

Votes will be counted using the SSE method as usual (much easier thanks to Zeddidragon and his vote counting program!!!) and the "best of" categories can be the same winners as the top three... If you guys want to make them mutually excluive though I don't mind.

PS: Dadio, we've all heard this one before... But then comes a torrent of mutant termites that eat the table your PC sits on and you'll have to pull out... Or NOT? Lets hope for a surprise this time round!!!

#11 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7622 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

...the "best of" categories can be the same winners as the top three... If you guys want to make them mutually excluive though I don't mind.

Personally, I think only the top three winners should be mutually exclusive -- for obvious reasons. The other category votes should overlap any way the voters chooses, IMO.

#12 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22234 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Erm... Robert3DG+... Shouldn't you revise your signature? Posted Image

#13 tempori

tempori

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

Already on it. It looks like a party exploded in my sig! You should make a less wide logo!

#14 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22234 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Already on it. It looks like a party exploded in my sig! You should make a less wide logo!

With the little dancing animations and the balloons it's great! And at the bottom of the Main Post there are two smaller banners... a long thin one and a slighty taller narrow one.

#15 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

This seems fun!
I'd like to be added to the random teams list.

#16 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

The theme is canvas? O:

Oh, also, I will write a poem for either the winner or the game I like best... or both.

Likely possibilities:
Canvas
Banana
BABIES(:o)
Baffle
Baking/bakery
Carpet
Banker
Banter
Barber
Barrel
PANDAS
Parent

V Click 4 more
Spoiler

Edited by orange08, 23 January 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#17 jakobs98

jakobs98

Cat Lover

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Such a shame. Now we all know what the theme is...
Oh well, let's all make the best "Jakobs" games we can!

#18 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22234 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Some of them are pretty cool (I like PANDAS for a theme!), but so far none are near the mark... So keep guessing!!!

#19 jakobs98

jakobs98

Cat Lover

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

Some of them are pretty cool (I like PANDAS for a theme!), but so far none are near the mark... So keep guessing!!!

What are you talking about?
It's obviously Jakobs. If it's not, it's gaming. Or taters.
Stop lying, Nocturne. The truth will come out and we all know it.

#20 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4304 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'm working both the Firday and Sunday nights but hopefully I'll hammer something out since exams will be over and whatnot. Offering a review for both the winner and the best use of theme because why the hell not.

#21 tempori

tempori

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Posted Image

#22 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

How much can we actually do before the jam?

For example - I am preparing graphics, music and a somewhat generic platforming engine (ie. I am not adding game specific things).

Is it ok to make an engine with your jam game in mind, while ensuring that it remains generic?

#23 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8334 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

For example - I am preparing graphics, music and a somewhat generic platforming engine (ie. I am not adding game specific things).

Is it ok to make an engine with your jam game in mind, while ensuring that it remains generic?

It is, if nobody knows. Therefore, everybody but you can.

#24 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'm going for it!

BASICS! :thumbsup:

#25 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22234 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hmmm... You can do this, but it goes against the whole ethos of the Jam a bit... I mean, it should be a spontaneous thing that you make based on the ideas that the theme sparks. Now, if you wish to dig around on your hard-drive to find old resources/engines etc... that can be used to fit the theme, then that's fine. BUT preparing a whole new engine, graphics and things just for this is a bit unfair, methinks!

#26 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

It's been done in the Jam before. :whistle:
I mean, not by me, but still.

#27 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Gosh, how do I post this without sounding like a jackass... This must be one of those times where you just say it.

A year ago, a young upstart called Dadio was raising hell on these forums asking for a new competion... But his idea was not about prizes or winning and becoming famous, no, his idea was to have a Community Event that brought people together to do what they do best : Make Games!!!! Now, one year later, Dadio has joined the haloed ranks of Yoyo games employees and the The GMCJam is about to have it's 5th running! I am immensly proud of this fact, especially because the community has supported it throught the last year and has converted what started as a small fun mini-competition into a real community EVENT. Thanks to all of you who have participated and have made this so much fun...

http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=3668308

I'll one-up you, Dadio.

How about, instead of a competition, with prizes/ranking, we have a GMC Jam.

Basically, it's one weekend/a few days where the GMC just makes games. We can open up an IRC channel, share screenshots, even host a feed of what we're doing and broadcast our progress. I would make a time lapse video.

All it's purpose is is to get the community developing, like we should be.

We will have a topic dedicated to ideas, screenshots, and after it, the finish product.

The only rule:

-You cannot use any previous work you've made. You must start from scratch.

Oh, and you can keep working on it after the time limit is up.

Game Jolt does these semi-oftenly and it is similar to the LD mini-contest.

I don't mean to be a buttface, but it was my idea. Dadio's was the contest. Then the thread about a new GMC competition derailed into planning the GMC Jam, which the whole community did together.

So I guess it was dadio who spawned the idea. But it was my idea.

Again, I don't want to sound like a jackass. Just trying to make sure you have your facts straight, Mark! Posted Image

#28 tempori

tempori

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

I take pride in the fact that I do everything within the time limit. I don't even think about the jam until the timer starts. It gives you a nice feeling of accomplishment when you finish. Try it sometime Posted Image

#29 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hmmm... You can do this, but it goes against the whole ethos of the Jam a bit... I mean, it should be a spontaneous thing that you make based on the ideas that the theme sparks. Now, if you wish to dig around on your hard-drive to find old resources/engines etc... that can be used to fit the theme, then that's fine. BUT preparing a whole new engine, graphics and things just for this is a bit unfair, methinks!

Ok. But what if I forgot I made that engine the day before the Jam - and then stumbled across it. :P

Nah, If you think that's unfair - I don't want to cheat... But my game managed to suck so much last time I entered (And this time I won't be on holidays - so I'll get very little done)

Can I enter it without adhering to the theme though - so that I can't properly win?

#30 Fireball16

Fireball16

Indie Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1015 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Haven't been very active on the forums lately :whistle: But i will be entering the Jam (or trying to even if it stops me developing my GM commercial game :sweat: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users