Photo

Games stole from the YYGS on Softpedia?!?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

Softpedia has recently compiled all of my games onto 1 profile:
http://games.softped...ames-20609.html

What do?

augh, too bad they aren't linking to my blog D:

Edited by orange08, 26 February 2012 - 12:29 AM.

#32 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

To be honest, for the free stuff I released a long time ago, I don't care who hosts it or redistributes it as long as they don't mess with the credits. There's probably around 15 versions of various things I made in sites like Softpedia, and I think it's great that maybe someone is still enjoying what I won't bother to host/update myself.

After all, I released that stuff for free for the sole purpose of hopefully entertaining someone. I won't lose sleep at night if Softpedia made 5 off the games or whatever, this stuff happens.

It's what comes with a free internet, you either accept it, or you fight an unbeatable battle.

#33 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

I think we should make a huge fuss over this so that this obscure website gets more traffic and brings greater attention to our games it's ilegally hosting or linking to.

#34 emjeeman

emjeeman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Who cares? All the YYG games that Softpedia stole are pretty bad anyway. I really found all of them to be awful, not more than 2 stars (out of five) in my book.

#35 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 636 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

Thanks... >_>

#36 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks, indeed... >_>

Anyway if they're uploading my games it shows they know quality when they see it.

Edited by orange08, 26 February 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#37 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

Softpedia has recently compiled all of my games onto 1 profile:
http://games.softped...ames-20609.html

What do?

augh, too bad they aren't linking to my blog D:

Contact them and ask.

Sounds like I'm the only one here that actually submitted my game to them to be uploaded. :tongue:

#38 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

+1, orange! That's right!

#39 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

You know, if you look at the most recently downloaded games, GM games are about 40, 50% of everything. I can doublepost, I have waited my 2 days!

#40 Retro3000

Retro3000

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Looks like I've been made a victim here as well. I've sent messages informing them that they do not have permission to host my games and demanding that my games be removed.

These jokers should be jailed.

#41 Southman

Southman

I simply am not here

• GMC Member
  • 1662 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

What's the big deal?
Would you be this mad if someone made a review of your game, linked to your personal page, said they didn't make the game, but never told you?

#42 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19877 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

It's slightly different... A review gives the author and the game publicity and drives traffic to them and their site. Softpedia on the other hand offer their OWN secure download which bypasses the owner and their site completely. This means that a Softpedia user has no need to ever visit the creators pages AND that they are getting add revenue and hits fir something that someone else created. Not illegal, but not very fair either...

#43 Retro3000

Retro3000

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

Actually, it's very clearly illegal. Any creative work is automatically copyrighted the moment it is created. Copyrighted works may only be used with permission from the author. I did not give permission, and Softpedia is in violation of copyright law.

As to the points on revenue: well stated.

#44 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19877 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

Actually, it's very clearly illegal. Any creative work is automatically copyrighted the moment it is created. Copyrighted works may only be used with permission from the author. I did not give permission, and Softpedia is in violation of copyright law.

As to the points on revenue: well stated.

I'm not sure you are correct on the legality. If Softpedia claimed it as their own work, yes, you'd be right. But they don't! They clearly state who made the games on every page... so all they are doing is hosting something and that's why I say it's immoral rather than illegal.

#45 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have found most of my games from my gamejolt profile on softpedia (the ones with actual game play). They've set up a developer profile under the name of "ovalman" which is the name I used when I first signed up to gamejolt. That is the only mention of me, a name I no longer use, it feels as though I'm being impersonated.

Though the main reason I am annoyed is because I didn't make my games to earn money, I made them purely for my own enjoyment and to see others enjoy playing them. I have a reasonable amount of pride in my games, whether it's actually a good game or not, I put thought and time into my creations and I'd rather they didn't be put on a website with poor descriptions ("Survive against a lots space invaders") with bad grammar, just to make some munies. It's kinda insulting :(

Edit: There's a button on the Ovalman profile that says "Go to developer site" which links back to their site... So wait, are they saying they made my games?

Edited by creativebunch, 21 July 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#46 Retro3000

Retro3000

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Violating copyright law has nothing to do with "claiming" anything. It's all about getting permission from the author.
For example, if I make a film and use a song in it, it's not enough just to credit the band in the film; I also have to get their permission to use it, and, generally, this will involve a fee.

"Fair use" is a set of exceptions to the permission needed in copyright law, but, since Softpedia is making a profit off of it and it is not for educational purposes, this situation is not "fair use".

It's definitely illegal.

Edited by Retro3000, 21 July 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#47 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6781 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

If Softpedia claimed it as their own work, yes, you'd be right. But they don't! They clearly state who made the games on every page... so all they are doing is hosting something and that's why I say it's immoral rather than illegal.

We're repeating the discussion we had on the previous page. I raised the same question as you, and NPT pointed out (correctly) that softpedia is "distributing" the game without permission -- since they aren't simply linking to the YoYo site. That's what makes it illegal.

#48 Southman

Southman

I simply am not here

• GMC Member
  • 1662 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Next time you make a game, make a splash screen with a clickable image to your website.
EDIT: Found this.

Edited by Southman, 21 July 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#49 Retro3000

Retro3000

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the link; what a bunch of crap. If they were really trying to forge relationships of "trust and respect" they would get permission before posting copyrighted works.
If Softpedia had asked my permission, I probably would have given it for certain games and on certain conditions. Instead, I felt violated, like my work was being distributed without my control (which it was).

#50 Southman

Southman

I simply am not here

• GMC Member
  • 1662 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Yeah, it sucks. Good luck getting everything sorted out.

#51 SuperComplex Games

SuperComplex Games

Complex Game Creator

• GMC Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

Personally, right now, I have only uploaded tutorial-based games, and Softpedia uploaded both of them onto their site, but I have no problem with that, as I don't really care a lot about them. However, if I start uploading more professional games to the Sandbox, and they take those, I will e-mail them to take them off.

-SuperComplex Games

#52 Exkakx

Exkakx

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:44 AM

I don't care about Softpedia using my games. I put my name in all of them, and it's nice to know more people are playing them.

#53 Insert Name Here

Insert Name Here

The Unknown Ninja

• GMC:Member
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

The EULA is certainly an interesting read. All the liability lies with the games creator, however YoYo Games retain some control over the executables - for example:

"3.3. Neither you nor any third party may modify, adapt, decompile or reverse engineer the Games."

In reality this is just to protect the GameMaker runner that's bundled with the executables (Which we don't own) - but it's just one of many examples that we don't completely own the executables.

I can't see anything indicating that we surrender any of the copyright we hold to YoYo Games. So one would assume that YoYo Games don't have full control over the games either, only the GameMaker runner.

One of the more interesting points in the EULA is this:

"3.4. e. the Games and all materials accompanying the Games shall include a notice and End User Licence Terms: (i) identifying the rights of YoYo Games and that they include, are based on and made using the Software;"

Given that I don't think I've ever seen a GameMaker game bundled with an EULA that includes the rights YoYo Games hold over the executable - it appears a huge number of people on the GMC have violated the GameMaker EULA, giving YoYo Games the legal right to terminate their licence if they pleased.

Granted I don't think YoYo ever would terminate such a large number of people's agreements just for violating this condition - but the fact that they have the legal right to do so is quite concerning.

From YoYo Games perspective though, I don't anything in the EULA is too outrageous since they're only trying to protect themselves. But again, from a user perspective, it is concerning.

Interesting, for Nintendo Nightmare 2 I will have to make "player.exe" something Yoyo Games develops.

#54 Insert Name Here

Insert Name Here

The Unknown Ninja

• 599 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Alright, here is me, and here is something I found. I never posted anything on Softpedia, so naturally, I was shocked. I tried searching for other members' creations on Softpedia, when I noticed that none of the links for stole games worked, and they didn't show in search results. Then I tried it in Google. That showed up. So why would there be hidden/dud links in Softpedia, that only show up in a third party search engine? I'm wondering if thishas happened to anyone else, and also if anyone knows why and who.

Thanks,
mangosteenGames

EDIT: the link to the hidden Softpedia site is broke! Here is the URL: http://games.softped...ames-24887.html

EDIT EDIT: I'm flabbergasted. The URL doesn't work either! Posted Image

MOD EDIT : Fixed that URL as you seemed to be having problems... Posted Image

What are we doing about this?

#55 Insert Name Here

Insert Name Here

The Unknown Ninja

• 599 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

I have found most of my games from my gamejolt profile on softpedia (the ones with actual game play). They've set up a developer profile under the name of "ovalman" which is the name I used when I first signed up to gamejolt. That is the only mention of me, a name I no longer use, it feels as though I'm being impersonated.

Though the main reason I am annoyed is because I didn't make my games to earn money, I made them purely for my own enjoyment and to see others enjoy playing them. I have a reasonable amount of pride in my games, whether it's actually a good game or not, I put thought and time into my creations and I'd rather they didn't be put on a website with poor descriptions ("Survive against a lots space invaders") with bad grammar, just to make some munies. It's kinda insulting :(

Edit: There's a button on the Ovalman profile that says "Go to developer site" which links back to their site... So wait, are they saying they made my games?

I don't think this can wait.
It sounds like someone got in your account and posted them. Is everyone sure this did not happen to other people. Softpedia might have an issue with people breaking into accounts that they do not know about. I wouldn't download the games. They could be a virus.

#56 Changgi

Changgi

Infamous Irregular

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hey no worries! I talked through e-mails with the admin of that site. He seemed pretty content to communicate with me! Just tell them if you're too offended. I'm pretty offended at their outrageously crappy screenshots and gibberishly written descriptions, but I tried to promote Janggi and they helped me do it and now it's on a bunch of other websites! Softpedia is like a website that downloads stuff from websites that they happen to come across, so it's not a wonder that your games are in there. (Though the few credits thet give and the stuff they change are not really rational, especially that 'go to developer's page' thing) So I just let them go after asking them to fix a few stuff. Just talk to them if you've got problems OK?

Edited by Changgi, 30 July 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#57 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7521 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

If Softpedia claimed it as their own work, yes, you'd be right. But they don't! They clearly state who made the games on every page... so all they are doing is hosting something and that's why I say it's immoral rather than illegal.

We're repeating the discussion we had on the previous page. I raised the same question as you, and NPT pointed out (correctly) that softpedia is "distributing" the game without permission -- since they aren't simply linking to the YoYo site. That's what makes it illegal.

Yeah, the argument kinda sounds like the description of a youtube video with content that the author clearly has no permission to use and they think they can get away with it by writing "I don't own this!" :tongue:

Suffice to say, that's not how that works.

Edited by makerofthegames, 30 July 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#58 Insert Name Here

Insert Name Here

The Unknown Ninja

• 599 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hey no worries! I talked through e-mails with the admin of that site. He seemed pretty content to communicate with me! Just tell them if you're too offended. I'm pretty offended at their outrageously crappy screenshots and gibberishly written descriptions, but I tried to promote Janggi and they helped me do it and now it's on a bunch of other websites! Softpedia is like a website that downloads stuff from websites that they happen to come across, so it's not a wonder that your games are in there. (Though the few credits thet give and the stuff they change are not really rational, especially that 'go to developer's page' thing) So I just let them go after asking them to fix a few stuff. Just talk to them if you've got problems OK?

My games aren't on the internet, let alone Softpedia. It just sounded like a hacked profile problem to me.

#59 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

I had this problem a while back myself with softpedia and I had my own solution. I bombarded my YYG profile with blank game files and fake screenshots for a few days in 2010, the *games* themselves had nothing in them but a white screen. As soon as they were uploaded to the thief's profile on this mentioned site, I deleted the games.

At this point, he had more fake games on his profile than legitimate ones. As soon as he found the problem, he would have actually *shock horror* had to have played all my games to find out which were fake and which were real. Their only viable solution, delete all the games he had from me.

#60 Insert Name Here

Insert Name Here

The Unknown Ninja

• 599 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

I had this problem a while back myself with softpedia and I had my own solution. I bombarded my YYG profile with blank game files and fake screenshots for a few days in 2010, the *games* themselves had nothing in them but a white screen. As soon as they were uploaded to the thief's profile on this mentioned site, I deleted the games.

At this point, he had more fake games on his profile than legitimate ones. As soon as he found the problem, he would have actually *shock horror* had to have played all my games to find out which were fake and which were real. Their only viable solution, delete all the games he had from me.

I don't have to ever worry about that. My browser is incompatible with posting games. I will have to send Nintendo Nightmare 2 to Supmaster by email so he can post it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users