• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TJE135

TJE135

GMC Member

• 5 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

This is my first game and I plan on continuing to update since at the moment its quite small but uhh.. please give feed back

The game is called Desktop Troll Defence (DTD)-You control Mobile Turret in a fight against the trolls (by trolls I just mean things similar to the troll icon not rpg/fantasy trolls ) It currently only has the two enemies which the main one takes five shots to kill and the faster one takes one or two I forgot, The walls inside the map border are destroyable with 10 shots i think it was, The walls around the edges are invincible and there is an exit sign in all of the levels leading to the next level. If you want to activate music press the music button on the main screen to enable it.

If you can please leave a comment or rating thanks

Version 2 is out with added enemy, Characters, Sounds and Cut scene (as suggested by Yal who also provided code. Thank you Yal)

Screenshot's:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's the link:
http://sandbox.yoyog...oll-defence-dtd

Edited by TJE135, 20 January 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#2 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8529 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Pretty decent for a really new user, but it needs lot of more stuff.

->Healthbars on 2HP enemies? I'd say that will just clutter up the game. You should only use healthbars for BIG trolls (that shoot back at you!), and make those healthbars wider, maybe 128 pixels wide. Wide healthbars are easier to "read" and look better in fast-paced games.

- Speaking of fast-paced, try changing the Room Speed to 60 instead of 30. I think that'd instantly make your game a lot more fun to play.

- More variety! Add blue trolls that move faster! Add zombie trolls that move slower but have more HPs! Add exploding cartoonbomb trolls that send out loads of bullets in random directions when killed, so that you have to take cover not to die!
(Use this code in their destroy event for a nice bullet spread effect)
bulletamount = 30
for(c = 0;c < 360;c += 360/bulletamount){
  n = instance_create(x,y,obj_enemybullet)
  n.direction = c
  n.image_angle = c
  n.speed = 6
}

Also, the tank shouldn't just be a tank. You should add in some memorable character driving it. Like, a fat patriotic soldier that has two modes: sleepy-oblivious and super-angry. Have some funny dialogue show up every now and then between stages where he talks to
- His nerd sidekick that built the tank
- His grandmother who scolds him all the time
- The troll leader evil general
- His rival who is much better at killing trolls

This game could be so much more than it is right now. Keep up the good work!

Moar code tipz:

Look up the drawing functions. Add some dialogue controller object, and then you can let it draw text instead of you showing the text via show_message. Like, make face sprites, place them like this in a room:
Posted Image
(this is one of my games, Zombie Zoo Murder Case)

anyway, then make a Cutscene Controller object. You tell it to do this in the draw event:
draw_set_color($FF00C0) //Some random purple color with FF (255) blue, no green, and C0 (200) red
draw_set_font(font_dialogue) //Create/load one such font to use, the default font sucks
draw_text(32,320,my_text[text_at])

and then we give it some text in the create event:
text_at = 0
//Let's put the text in an array
my_text[0] = "Fritz:#Oh my, howdy jake."
my_text[1] = "Jake:#Gosh, fancy seeing Fritz here."
my_text[2] = "Fritz:#So watcha up to?"
my_text[3] = "Jake:#I'm gonna kill some trolls."
my_text[4] = "Fritz:#Soudns fun, I'll join in."

//Note that my_text_max has value 4, which is the last "box"
//in the array we filled
my_text_max = 4

Finally we want to advance in the text when, say, the player presses SPACEBAR, so add this code in the KEY PRESS event of SPACE:
text_at += 1
if(text_at > my_text_max){
  text_at -= 1
  transition_kind = 20
  room_goto_next()
}

Hope this helps! Do this, and your game will instantly go from a Lv1 game to say a Lv8 game because it's so much more prettier now.

Edited by Yal, 20 January 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#3 TJE135

TJE135

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Wow Thanks for the tips I will get working on it now :)

#4 TJE135

TJE135

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

Sadly there has been a problem and most of my files were deleted and now i have lost the .gmk for DTD so I can not continue this project but I will be starting a new one called DTD tower defence as a bit of a sequel and rebirth (since DTD has died :/ ) If you wanted to hear more about the error you can check it out on the Golden claw website ( http://www.goldenclaw.net/index.html ) even though i doubt many people will look

Edited by TJE135, 24 January 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#5 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8529 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

Have you learned a lesson about back-up copying your game?

#6 TJE135

TJE135

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

Yeah I have luckily it was only my first one and not as much of a serious one but turns out I was able to recover the gmk from the dropbox online backup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users