###### ## ## #####     ## ## ##### ## ##### ######  
    ##   ## ## ##        ## ## ##    ## ##      ##    
    ##   ##### #####     ##### ####  ## #####   ##    
    ##   ## ## ##        ## ## ##    ##    ##   ##    
    ##   ## ## #####     ## ## ##### ## #####   ##    
			Developed by Luke Prior

"Very good game. I am imressed" "Interesting concept, well-made"
"Great game! :)" "Simple and cute." "Love the update!"
"Imma try this out as soon as I possible" "This works pretty well" "Cool concept!"

The Heist is a two player game in which one player attempts to shine a flashlight on another player. The blue player with the flashlight is the guard, who is working security in a museum. The red player is the thief, who is stealing from the museum and trying to avoid the security guard. For more information on how to play, be sure to read the heist.txt file!

Key features include:

-Fun and original gameplay
-Local and online multiplayer support, including chat
-Single player support with AI
-Randomly generated museums
-Advanced flashlight system

Enjoy the game!

Posted Image . Posted Image

Posted Image . Posted Image

Download
Host-a.net
Heist.zip - 1.26mb

Remember to comment if you download! Like the game? Dislike the game? Suggestions for improvement? Comment! Feedback is much appreciated :D I'll +1 any valuable comments!

Edited by ND4SPD, 05 March 2012 - 05:39 AM.

#2 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

This works pretty well. Unfortunately, I have no reason to play as the thief, as he cannot win? There is no goal for the thief, and the guard is way overpowered. Interesting concept, well-made engine, but I would like to see more. Maybe something for the thief to steal? An escape route? And then maybe a sprint button for the theif, because he is way underpowered.
Nice engine though! :D

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#3 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

The flashlight shining looks pretty sweet, how'd you do that?
Imma try this out as soon as I possible.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#4 Seth52

Seth52

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Cool concept! Reminds me of a game I saw recently called Hidden in Plain Sight. Would love to see this concept expanded upon. I'm assuming since the game is called "The Heist" that there will be some sort of thievery for the thief to participate in eventually. :)

I REALLY recommend you get some smoother collisions for the player controlled instances. Getting hung up in the level geometry blows my cover in an instant, since the AI don't seem to encounter that problem.

Posted Image
[ Like us! -Posted Image : Posted Image- Follow us! ]

#5 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

Great game! :)
I played it with my sister and it was pretty fun. It was annoying that when I was the thief I couldn't move as fast as the cop, to make up for that, I think there should be a few more red npc's. One complaint I have is the movement, I'm always getting stuck on walls somehow. You should fix that ;0
Also, you should add something to steal(or maybe different modes with different objectives).

Anyway, great start! :)

-orange

Edited by orange08, 20 January 2012 - 07:58 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#6 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

! ! UPDATE ! !

Main changes are a much cleaner GUI, a new menu system, online multiplayer and smoother movement.

This works pretty well. Unfortunately, I have no reason to play as the thief, as he cannot win? There is no goal for the thief, and the guard is way overpowered. Interesting concept, well-made engine, but I would like to see more. Maybe something for the thief to steal? An escape route? And then maybe a sprint button for the theif, because he is way underpowered.
Nice engine though! :D

Thankyou for your comments!! :) Did you use the thief's invisibility ability? That's his 'special move' to help evade the guard. Some good ideas for a goal for the thief there, as well :)

Cool concept! Reminds me of a game I saw recently called Hidden in Plain Sight. Would love to see this concept expanded upon. I'm assuming since the game is called "The Heist" that there will be some sort of thievery for the thief to participate in eventually. :)

I REALLY recommend you get some smoother collisions for the player controlled instances. Getting hung up in the level geometry blows my cover in an instant, since the AI don't seem to encounter that problem.

Thanks! :D I just checked out the game and the idea there is very clever. There will hopefully be some thievery to participate in :) also, see if you like the new movement? It's considerably smoother.

The flashlight shining looks pretty sweet, how'd you do that?
Imma try this out as soon as I possible.

:D I'm very proud of the flashlight. It has a loop to determine the distance the light should travel in each direction, and then it has another loop to draw a triangle fan for the light. Very simple, but works beautifully. Checking if the thief is illuminated is trickier :S

I played it with my sister and it was pretty fun. It was annoying that when I was the thief I couldn't move as fast as the cop, to make up for that, I think there should be a few more red npc's. One complaint I have is the movement, I'm always getting stuck on walls somehow. You should fix that ;0
Also, you should add something to steal(or maybe different modes with different objectives).

-orange

I'm glad you enjoyed it! And I'm glad you found another player; that's the problem with 2-player-only games. Did you use the thief's invisibility ability? Also, would you mind checking the new version; the movement system was recoded. Thanks for your valuable feedback!

#7 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:19 AM

-orange

I'm glad you enjoyed it! And I'm glad you found another player; that's the problem with 2-player-only games. Did you use the thief's invisibility ability? Also, would you mind checking the new version; the movement system was recoded. Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Yep, I like 2-Player games. I'm in the 1% of online people who actually has someone to play with nearby.
Invisible ability? :0 I'm defintely trying out this new version.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#8 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:44 AM

Invisibility was in the last version, too!

Sorry, that was likely my fault; probably didn't explain it well enough hehe. The mistake all game makers make :D

EDIT: OK, uploaded a new version with chat! Press ENTER to talk to your opponent!

Edited by ND4SPD, 21 January 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#9 Seth52

Seth52

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:03 AM

Love the update! My brother and I played for a good 15-20 minutes... and with the gameplay being pretty bare-bones at this point, that's really saying something. The new collisions are perfect. No more issues there. :)

Throughout gameplay I would often find myself getting an accidental catch on my brother, and vice versa. This led to some frustration, because neither one of us knew who the thief at that point. I would suggest you tweak the "!" icon that appears when the thief penetrates the vision cone... instead of going full alpha right off the bat, maybe fade it in the longer the thief is in the cone. As another thought, perhaps a button to "catch" the thief would improve gameplay too... just throwing stuff out there.

Posted Image

#10 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

Love the update! My brother and I played for a good 15-20 minutes... and with the gameplay being pretty bare-bones at this point, that's really saying something. The new collisions are perfect. No more issues there. :)

Throughout gameplay I would often find myself getting an accidental catch on my brother, and vice versa. This led to some frustration, because neither one of us knew who the thief at that point. I would suggest you tweak the "!" icon that appears when the thief penetrates the vision cone... instead of going full alpha right off the bat, maybe fade it in the longer the thief is in the cone. As another thought, perhaps a button to "catch" the thief would improve gameplay too... just throwing stuff out there.

Glad you enjoy it! :D and I'm glad I managed to fix the collisions.

What do you mean by accidental catch? :S

#11 Seth52

Seth52

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

Simply put, I could get a few lucky wins by simply moving around like crazy and rotating my spotlight in a circle while looking for the "!" icon to pop instantly on one of the red circles.

Posted Image

#12 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

I think the thief's invisible ability should recharge more quickly. Right now it's pretty darn slow :\
Also, could you make it so you can change which player uses what? E.G. Instead of Arrow Keys + Mouse for the gaurd, you can change it to WASD + Mouse.

It would also be nice if there was an option that would make the guard face towards the direction he is moving towards, instead of the mouse... that way it would be less crowded on the keyboard ;) (because I'm using a laptop and the touchpad)

Edited by orange08, 22 January 2012 - 01:38 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#13 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Simply put, I could get a few lucky wins by simply moving around like crazy and rotating my spotlight in a circle while looking for the "!" icon to pop instantly on one of the red circles.

Ah, ok. Well I gave it a slight delay before catching: it takes a second before the thief is fully 'spotted', at which point he can be caught. So if the thief is briefly in the spotlight, it won't capture. You gotta focus the mouse on someone for a while to spot them properly. That should prevent strategies like this :)

I think the thief's invisible ability should recharge more quickly. Right now it's pretty darn slow :\
Also, could you make it so you can change which player uses what? E.G. Instead of Arrow Keys + Mouse for the gaurd, you can change it to WASD + Mouse.

It would also be nice if there was an option that would make the guard face towards the direction he is moving towards, instead of the mouse... that way it would be less crowded on the keyboard ;) (because I'm using a laptop and the touchpad)

I made the invisibility recharge SLIGHTLY more quickly.
I kind like the idea of making the guard face where he's moving. That's clever! :)

#14 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:59 AM

! ! UPDATE ! !

This one is a biggie.

Firstly, there's a new single player mode against the AI. You can choose to play as the thief or the guard.
Also, as per a suggestion from Seth, the thief GRADUALLY gets spotted. The guard needs to keep the flashlight on him to catch him, so no more accidental catches!
Some smaller changes include a restructured menu, slower guard, smarter 'fake thief' AI, and I fixed the diagonal move speed bug.

Enjoy!!

#15 Sir

Sir

Jedi Poodoo

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

Very good game. I am imressed...

One thing, the thief should get cought faster the closer he is to the guard inside of the guards flashlight area. Other then that, good game :)

For my sake, please RTFM.

#16 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

Very good game. I am imressed...

One thing, the thief should get cought faster the closer he is to the guard inside of the guards flashlight area. Other then that, good game :)

Thanks mate!

That's a good idea, too! I've added it to the list :)

#17 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4214 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Simple and cute.

I'd suggest shading the circles to fit the graphical style.

#18 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

Simple and cute.

I'd suggest shading the circles to fit the graphical style.

Thanks, chaz! :)

#19 maxriderules

maxriderules

GMC Member

• 11 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

A fun way to spend 10-15 minutes, but without more gameplay it's not really going to have much replayability. I think that the theif should be more adaptable, seeing as they're always on the defensive. Possibly a sprint function, or something else for when the guard just about has them? A multiplayer version with more than 2 people would be fun, too- the more guards, the larger the play area, and the harder to catch the theif (time wise). Just a suggestion.

#20 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

A fun way to spend 10-15 minutes, but without more gameplay it's not really going to have much replayability. I think that the theif should be more adaptable, seeing as they're always on the defensive. Possibly a sprint function, or something else for when the guard just about has them? A multiplayer version with more than 2 people would be fun, too- the more guards, the larger the play area, and the harder to catch the theif (time wise). Just a suggestion.

Cheers man :D I actually kinda want to remake this now with a much larger play area, have more guards and thieves and players, and I want to give the thieves stuff to steal (like paintings and statues and stuff) so they can get points and such. This game could be so much bigger!