#1 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

SisterEngine v1.0

What is this? It's an RPG engine that tries to mimic Earthbound and its sequel Mother 3 in terms of how battles look. It's also a very easily customizable engine where you can basically spam in new enemies, items, attacks and other stuff in the blink of an eye. It's an engine where you shouldn't really mess around with the code, but rather just add in new stuff and know that the engine will handle it for you.

Current features:

- Compitable with Studio (tested and compiled with Studio 1.2.1279)
- Entire battle system.
- Other HP display systems than the Earthbound reels.
- Most of pause menu system, including using items.
- Easy system to let characters use different types of HP/MP, to e.g. let humans recover less HP from dog biscuits and robot oil than dogs and robots will.
- Very, very, very easy system to add things like Enemies, Status Problems, Player Characters, Items, Key Items, Skills, Moves and all other stuff you need. You basically just slap some data and a sprite together.
- There is no need at all to mess around with the engine scripts to get stuff to work. In fact, I recommend that you don't even open them but just use the LUT (Look Up Table) scripts to define everything you need.

Still working on:
- Overworld stuff like talking, shops, and other stuff.
- Using healing spells and stuff from the pause menu outside battle

As of 2014-05-28 the "still working on" stuff are deprecated (after nearly a year of hibernation). SisterEngine is now mainly a battle engine.

The engine is not complete, but if you have your own overworld system it will surely come in handy already. At least check it out and remember it. And feel free to give me suggestions for things you want to have in the engine!

Game links:

SOURCE:https://app.box.com/...amustmd6d3iqirl

DEMO: https://app.box.com/...kmo77a1gfldn8jz

Screenshots:
m3engineuse0.png
m3engineuse1.png

Edited by Yal, 28 May 2014 - 07:27 PM.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#2 Bcm27

Bcm27

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Very nice Yal, I will definitely give this a try later today.

- Bcm27 -

#3 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Great engine, works amazingly well.

I am not familiar with constructing turn-based battle systems (even though i would love to) but it looks like you are using so many scripts and objects for this.

It just looks too complicated and big for someone else to make a game out of. Why don't you just make a game out of this?

#4 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

It just looks too complicated and big for someone else to make a game out of.

The thing is, I'm aiming for an engine where you don't have to use any of the scripts at all; you just have to define new stuff in the LUT (Look Up Table) scripts and then place them in the rooms. There's going to be lots of room for customization just by changing a bunch of global variables. Like the Point Draw Mode that I managed to finish yesterday:
Posted Image
This replaces the HP reels with typical HP bars. MP bars uses the same bar image as the PPimage, so you can easily give mages purple mana bars and warriors red rage bars. Also there's now the possibility to give characters different types of HP, to e.g. let robots recover from oil and not food, and humans from food and not oil.

Later, I'm also going to make some fake-3D functionality that lets you make Golden Sun-style battles. And a bunch of other things. But as I said before, no meddling with the code unless you know what you're doing, and this engine will work like a charm.

Come to think about it, I should make some YouTube tutorials about how to add in new things to the engine.

but it looks like you are using so many scripts and objects for this.

Many scripts are there to replace code-repeat, and there's loads of utility scripts (like, it's better if you use item_get() than if you meddle with the store_pINVENTORY ds_list on your own)

Edited by Yal, 19 January 2012 - 09:08 AM.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Spoiler

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#5 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

It just looks too complicated and big for someone else to make a game out of.

The thing is, I'm aiming for an engine where you don't have to use any of the scripts at all; you just have to define new stuff in the LUT (Look Up Table) scripts and then place them in the rooms. There's going to be lots of room for customization just by changing a bunch of global variables. Like the Point Draw Mode that I managed to finish yesterday:
Posted Image
This replaces the HP reels with typical HP bars. MP bars uses the same bar image as the PPimage, so you can easily give mages purple mana bars and warriors red rage bars. Also there's now the possibility to give characters different types of HP, to e.g. let robots recover from oil and not food, and humans from food and not oil.

Later, I'm also going to make some fake-3D functionality that lets you make Golden Sun-style battles. And a bunch of other things. But as I said before, no meddling with the code unless you know what you're doing, and this engine will work like a charm.

Come to think about it, I should make some YouTube tutorials about how to add in new things to the engine.

but it looks like you are using so many scripts and objects for this.

Many scripts are there to replace code-repeat, and there's loads of utility scripts (like, it's better if you use item_get() than if you meddle with the store_pINVENTORY ds_list on your own)

I understand what you are trying to do.. I think, you're trying to make a RPG Maker inside Game Maker (kinda?)

I don't see why you would want to. RPG Maker would be better suited for this.

Why won't you just make an original Earthbound-esque RPG ;)

Anyways, I like the ideas you have for this engine. Golden Sun Dark Dawn was a great game, though I have yet to play the Game Boy Advance titles.

#6 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

Golden Sun Dark Dawn was a great game, though I have yet to play the Game Boy Advance titles.

GSDD is basically the same thing as GS and GS:tLA put together into one game, made a bit shorter. It's also worth mentioning that the GS is, as far as I know, the only RPG ever to leave the Infinity Plus One Sword lying around in a unguarded, highly visible, treasure chest in a room in the NORMAL final dungeon that you HAVE to pass through in order to complete it.

GS games are extremely easy due to them putting all the good equipment out in the open... forging new equipment in the blacksmith in GS2 actively punished the player! Sheesh, the series are very overrated.

I understand what you are trying to do.. I think, you're trying to make a RPG Maker inside Game Maker (kinda?)

Nope, you don't understand me. ;) But you're not entirely wrong either.

The idea is basically that you get a battle engine. It works, you can affect it by flipping a bunch of switches, and that's that. Since it's made in Game Maker, you can put it into any game you're working on and extend it using a code you're used to using. And most importantly, it's very easy to add in any new content you want to the game.

Spoiler

#7 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

Golden Sun Dark Dawn was a great game, though I have yet to play the Game Boy Advance titles.

GSDD is basically the same thing as GS and GS:tLA put together into one game, made a bit shorter. It's also worth mentioning that the GS is, as far as I know, the only RPG ever to leave the Infinity Plus One Sword lying around in a unguarded, highly visible, treasure chest in a room in the NORMAL final dungeon that you HAVE to pass through in order to complete it.

GS games are extremely easy due to them putting all the good equipment out in the open... forging new equipment in the blacksmith in GS2 actively punished the player! Sheesh, the series are very overrated.

Nope, you don't understand me. ;) But you're not entirely wrong either.

The idea is basically that you get a battle engine. It works, you can affect it by flipping a bunch of switches, and that's that. Since it's made in Game Maker, you can put it into any game you're working on and extend it using a code you're used to using. And most importantly, it's very easy to add in any new content you want to the game.

However, I am still going to argue that if you want to make an RPG and not create it all by yourself, then you should just use RPG Maker.

Anyways, what was the inspiration to make this game, Yal and will this be a full-fledged RPG system?

Edited by Mr. RPG, 23 January 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#8 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

if you want to make an RPG and not create it all by yourself, then you should just use RPG Maker.

RPG Maker uses a very different programming language than Game Maker, RUBY is infamous for having a painful syntax. The fact that the program is ported from Japanese by hobbyists doesn't very help either.

The one BIIIIIG problem with RPG Maker is that the only thing you can do with it is RPGs. Having a good RPG engine in Game Maker allows you to make ANYTHING to the RPG, for instance you can very easily add fishing/shooting/puzzle mini-games, new types of movement in the overworld (e.g. a 3D spaceship), and suchforth. Also, even though I don't recommend messing around with my code, it's a lot less likely that you'll screw up sphagetti GML than sphagetti RUBY.

Spoiler

#9 Harrk

Harrk

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 202 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Wow, you learn new things everyday!
I was checking out your code to see how things work and I never knew you could title code blocks by doing this:
///Movement
:P

Anyway, the engine is pretty smooth and fancy. I like it.
I might even take some ideas from it if that's okay :)
Nice job!

And well... GM > RPG Maker any day.

Want to see more?

My Website, Youtube, Twitter, Blog

#10 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:24 AM

Thank you! GMMMMKKKK!!!!!!

[Edit]
Freaking acorns....How the crap am I suposed to defeat dos lava snakes with only a dried kidney and people less then 9 health? All I can beat are acorns...........

Edited by mrpeanut188, 27 January 2012 - 05:32 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Freaking acorns....How the crap am I suposed to defeat dos lava snakes with only a dried kidney and people less then 9 health? All I can beat are acorns...........

You can do either of these things:

1) Grind
2) Edit the SETUP object and e.g. make both characters start with PK Fire Beta and PK Ice, or hack their stats or something
3) Edit the ENEMYDATA look-up-table and make the lava snakes weaker

They're just example enemies for the sake of demonstrating the engine, so I haven't really tried to balance them.

I was checking out your code to see how things work and I never knew you could title code blocks by doing this:

New feature as of GM '81. Pretty nifty! :)

Spoiler

#12 marcelheld

marcelheld

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Nice,can we also use this engine for doing (own) with it ?
And can we put the game on Youtube for sharing if we give credits to you ? :D

#13 DZiW

DZiW

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 978 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Nice)

YOU CREATE: WHERE LiFE MAY FAiL, DEAћ SHALL NOT!

#14 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Nice,can we also use this engine for doing (own) with it ?

Yes.

And can we put the game on Youtube for sharing if we give credits to you ?

A game made using this engine? Sure! The source code is free to use commercially, too (but NOT any graphics or music that comes with it!) and anything you make with the engine is your property, just like the games made with Game Maker are.

Sharing the engine itself?
Completely out of the question. I want all the popularity and glory from this engine to fall on me and me alone.

Spoiler

#15 Awesome

Awesome

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

This is awesome! Very well done, even if you only have the battle system and pause menu done. It's customization settings are pretty cool, too.
Though, is there a way to make a more Mother/Earthbound battle entrance? And how about the special death that happens when you defeat a boss in the originals? ;) Oh, and can we add more sprite poses?

I know you're busy with the other features so I'll try to do it myself first lol.

Edited by Awesome, 09 March 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#16 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Though, is there a way to make a more Mother/Earthbound battle entrance? And how about the special death that happens when you defeat a boss in the originals? ;) Oh, and can we add more sprite poses?

I've been thinking about making the M3 panel fade effect, but I've been too busy. For boss special deaths, I think the key is to play around with the "global.bossbattle" variable (or whatever I called it). I've forgotten all about it... whoops! Anyway, using if checks with that you could make bosses create an "obj_bossdiefade" that fades away with a cooler sound and also flashes the entire screen white, and you could also play another fanfare when creating the obj_YOUWON.

As for sprite poses, the enemies have an image_speed of zero. The only thing you gotta do is to make some of their MOVEs set image_index to different values. ;)

Spoiler

#17 Awesome

Awesome

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

I've been thinking about making the M3 panel fade effect, but I've been too busy. For boss special deaths, I think the key is to play around with the "global.bossbattle" variable (or whatever I called it). I've forgotten all about it... whoops! Anyway, using if checks with that you could make bosses create an "obj_bossdiefade" that fades away with a cooler sound and also flashes the entire screen white, and you could also play another fanfare when creating the obj_YOUWON.

As for sprite poses, the enemies have an image_speed of zero. The only thing you gotta do is to make some of their MOVEs set image_index to different values. ;)

Thanks for the sprite poses information, but I really meant for when the characters are moving diagonally. Excuse my ignorance!

#18 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

but I really meant for when the characters are moving diagonally

It should be pretty easy to squeeze in a bunch of if cases checking whether you're moving horizontally and vertically on the same time. For instance you could structure it up like this:

- You make a 2D array of 3x3 elements and store a sprite in each, except [1,1] that has NONE.
- When moving, access array element [1 + sign(xspeed),1 + sign(yspeed)], and if not NONE, replace sprite_index with that sprite.

This should be the most good-looking approach.
So [0,0] is moving up-left, [0,1] is moving straight up, [0,2] is moving up-right, [1,0] is moving straight left, and so on. Do you understand the idea?

Also, instead of making 9 sprites, just make one up-diagonal and one down-diagonal sprite, facing diagonally right, and then set image_xscale to sign(xspeed) whenever xspeed is nonzero.

I know my current approach puts all animations in a single sprite, but I think using a multi-sprite approach (for player characters! NPCs should be just fine with a single sprite though you'll need to remake the code a bit to allow four additional facings) will be easier on you than messing around with my system since all get_facing scripts only take four directions into account.

Spoiler

#19 Awesome

Awesome

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Still working on this? :o(

#20 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

I'm not working on it in a daily basis, no. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't download the engine, since all the important stuff is available.
Whoops, wrong topic!

Um, I'm working at this time from time. The most important stuff to finish is the pause menu Specials menu and a save system (and perhaps shops). I'm a bit busy with another engine right now, but I've done some more pause menu stuff a while ago. So I'm still working on it, albeit sporadically. The lack of feedback made me feel working too much would be a waste, to be honest.

Spoiler

#21 Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 227 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

The lack of feedback made me feel working too much would be a waste, to be honest.

We all need to remember to click the + thing by someone's post, even if we don't bother trying to think of something for a proper reply, just to let them know we appreciate their work.

I was glad to find this when I went looking for an RPG engine to start with.

Unfortunately GameMaker HTML5 is filled with bugs and broken functions, so I couldn't do much with it, giving up after awhile for now. Hopefully GameMaker Studio will be out soon, and I can get things working properly.
Wolf Dreamer
The last sane human being in a world gone mad

#22 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

You could try messing around with GM8 or GM81 a bit until then, perhaps?

Spoiler

#23 Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 227 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

You could try messing around with GM8 or GM81 a bit until then, perhaps?

I was thinking the free version doesn't handle some things the full version does. But you have no .dlls so maybe everything else would work. I'll try it.

Your engine does hold far more potential than the other things I've seen.

==update==
Does not work in the lite version.

This function is not available in the Lite Edition.

Can't even start the game. Click through a few errors, then when I try to walk, nope, not going to let me do it.

I'm hoping it won't be that long before they finish with GameMaker Studio. This will be a good starting point I believe.

Edited by Wolf Dreamer, 17 April 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Wolf Dreamer
The last sane human being in a world gone mad

#24 snuffysam

snuffysam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 238 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

Can you port this for GM7? Or are there things that won't work on the older version?
Unfortunately, I only have a mac...

I signed up on the forums JUST to ask you this :)

#25 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

GM8 is in all ways superior to GM7. Sorry about that.

There *are* conversion programs, though:

IsmAvatar has made a Java utility called "LateralGM". It can backwards-convert GM8 files to GM7 and GM6. Try searching for that.
Also, YellowAfterLife has made a GM81->GM8 converter.

Open up AltaVista (or whatever search engine Mac users uses) and search "ismavatar lateralgm", and you should find it.

Spoiler

#26 snuffysam

snuffysam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Open up AltaVista (or whatever search engine Mac users uses) and search "ismavatar lateralgm", and you should find it.

You mean... GOOGLE?

Thanks for the tip. I'll tell you what I think of the engine when I test it out.

Well done! This really helps with the battle problems I was trying to fix. Thanks for making such a great tool!

Edited by snuffysam, 10 May 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#27 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

You're welcome.

Ah, AltaVista was an old search engine that was forgotten when Google came. I just teased you a bit by pulling the name up. :P I'm getting pretty old for an average GMC member, and I remember back-in-the-days... have you ever heard about Netscape? Or back in the days when a 3.5-inch floppy disk actually was big enough to store a few documents?

Spoiler

#28 snuffysam

snuffysam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

You're welcome.

Ah, AltaVista was an old search engine that was forgotten when Google came. I just teased you a bit by pulling the name up. :P I'm getting pretty old for an average GMC member, and I remember back-in-the-days... have you ever heard about Netscape? Or back in the days when a 3.5-inch floppy disk actually was big enough to store a few documents?

Ah yes, I have heard of the Netscape. I seem to remember back in school, when my teachers told me to use Internet Explorer instead because Netscape "sucked". So I never actually USED it, but I have heard the tales.
I was even younger when the floppies were still used... I think even in elementary school...

#29 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Yeah. I still have a bunch of floppy disks from back then (I'm older than you). The bad thing is that there's much more magnet fields nowadays, so you can't bring them outdoors without having the data damaged anymore. Or perhaps they're just so old they fail because of that.

Spoiler

#30 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

As I developed an RPG engine for my university course, I decided to try out this.

Overall I was really impressed with your work YAL. And that's saying something as I was brought up on RPGs so I can literally rant on RPGs for ages. I do have some crits however. Some are nitpicking but some are relevant

• Some of the music can pierce my ears. Though I muted it as I was focusing on the gameplay
  • I didn't like how X was select and Z was cancel. It didn't feel right on a QWERTY keyboard
  • Some of the enemies were far too challenging. However again this is an engine so I will overlook that

Now the crits are over, I have some suggestions
  • Shops of course! I'd be interested to see how other people do shops (But you already noted that)
  • More abilities! One of the things I liked about the Earthbound series was the bizarre abilities
  • Overworld abilites. Like for example teleport would be very useful

Apart from that, I feel you have pretty much got all the stuff you need for an Earthbound game. To sum up my feedback, if I didn't already produce a game engine for Legena, I'd look to this as inspiration. Good work Yal! Keep up the work!

Edited by King Tetiro, 16 May 2012 - 06:19 PM.

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#31 snuffysam

snuffysam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

I dunno, I always use my middle finger for cancel and my index for select, so X and Z worked perfectly for me in that respect.
Unless you meant that it's too low down on the keyboard?

#32 land of games

land of games

han solos friend

• GMC Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:21 AM

hi yal.
im not sure how to make the new enemies that I create appear. :P
I make them in the enemy LUD script but im not sure how to use them in game.
thanks.
Im kinda looking at a random enemy encounters type mechanic and I know that the engine supports it. I just cant figgure it out. btw this is by far the best TBRPG engine out there and also one of the best engines overall on the gmc.

EARTHBOUND FTW (I hope nintendo starts giving the title the love it deserves.)

oh.... and will this work in gmstudio ported to ios (editing controlls to fit touch screen ofcorse)

I have returned.

#33 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thanks! ^__^
Check out the Creation Code of the room with the random battles in the engine. I think you have to use a script to put them in the list of monsters
that can appear in that room. Copy-paste it into the Creation Code of the room you're using.

Or if you're using the collide-enemies you have to edit the array of enemies by using Instance Creation Code (right click, pop-up menu, choose "code"). Enemies have an array with some enemies you'll fight if you touch them. I'd explain it but I gotta go.

Oh, and it's LUT: Look Up Table.

Spoiler

#34 land of games

land of games

han solos friend

• GMC Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

sorry typo :verymad:
thanks. ill check that out. I never thought to look at the creation code. I dont use it much because of my dev style or something so it wouldn occur to me.

I have returned.

#35 land of games

land of games

han solos friend

• GMC Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

yep. it works.
thanks yal.

I have returned.

#36 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

I dont use it much because of my dev style or something

I'd go for your inexperience :P

It's really useful since you don't have to make an object for everything; using Instance Creation Code (ICC) you can use a single door object for every single door in the entire game for instance, or the same NPC object for all NPCs. It's really powerful and saves time when you develop more content (since you don't have to take a break to make a new object every time you make a new room).

Spoiler

#37 Darklord071991

Darklord071991

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

I've never played Earthbound (I know, I'm living under a rock ~u~), so I can't exactly compare the two. While I have no plans to use this in any project (yet), I did learn a new way for storing stats: ds_grid. Really, I never thought to use it as a container for stats because I only thought to use it as a "playing field" of sorts, so it was nice seeing it used like that. It inspires me to work on my own RPG, actually.

Thanks for contributing this to the community; I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

#38 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Glad I could open someone's eyes. =)

Grids is the only 2D array ds_ so... I can't see how you've missed it, though. :P

Spoiler

#39 wilmar5566

wilmar5566

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

wow this engine is great.
i have a few question though, im working on a EarthBound like RPG and there are a few things that i need help modifying. first is the movement and the AI following it feels a bit to slippery, the player slides and sometimes the AI will get far from the player and closer. im trying to do my game with the simple overworld movement of EarthBound. second how do i put a new command on the menu im trying to do it like in EarthBound where to talk to npcs in the menu the player selects the talk function in the menu or to check an item the player selects the check function, though im doing it in the MOTHER 3 menu style. now this one im not sure if i should put it or not but i want to put a Eat function like in Earth Bound Zero where to recover health from a food the player has to select the eat function other wise different things will happen.

#40 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Err... adding menu items that makes the menu more tedious and hard to navigate? I wouldn't recommend that, but I could tell you how to do it.

Are you sure you want to continue (y/n)?

Spoiler

#41 wilmar5566

wilmar5566

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

y
:yes:

#42 wilmar5566

wilmar5566

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

btw just so you know im trying to differentiate it from the EarthBound/MOTHER series by adding stuff the games did not have so necessarily its not an earthbound game/fangame but just simply an rpg game based on the goals that EarthBound/MOTHER had by setting it in modern day setting but i just think that the eat function from the first game would work out.

#43 wilmar5566

wilmar5566

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

can you at least explain to me how transition using doors works or enemy list im programming NPC's and events myself i kinda have a dead line so just explain that part and i will add all the others thing i asked help for as a last minute sorta thing, and maybe fixing the movement to make it more normal it feels to much like accelerating a car and another one struggling to follow i want to make it more like EarthBound feeling.

#44 Electricb7

Electricb7

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Does this work in GameMaker lite?

#45 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

I think it doesn't work in lite, it requires Data Structure functionality.

Spoiler

#46 Electricb7

Electricb7

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

that really sucks.
Oh well, guess I will have to pay...

#47 Electricb7

Electricb7

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

Are you planing on releasing any footage of your engine? Would love to see it in action.

#48 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Footage? The first post has screenshots:
Posted Image

...er, wait, did you mean video footage (motion pictures)? OK, I could try mustering up some.

Spoiler

#49 Electricb7

Electricb7

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Yup, I was looking for some video footage of your engine in motion. Maybe like a short trailer/ demo sort of thing.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Edited by Electricb7, 18 September 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#50 Gumstone1080

Gumstone1080

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

lol never knew about Earthbound engines in GM, always ont he rpg maker. But this is amazing :D, keep it up.

Working on:

Title- Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

• Version: GM8
  • Progress: in the works

Title- Earthbound 2.5: Rise of the Pig King

• Version RPG maker xp
  • Progress: story in the making

Title- Dragon Diary - Mysterious threat in Japan

• Version:???
  • Progress: ??? story but do not plan on coding.