6 replies to this topic

#1 huizengagames

huizengagames

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

From YoYo Games Forums

Half-Mech is an Action Platformer, metroidvania style game. Obtaining items helps you further explore the game world.

Sandbox

Download

Facebook

Story:

The Earth was severed into two pieces by a giant meteor which killed most life instantly. The remaining life was destroyed by the radiation given off by this meteor, as it stayed lodged into one half of the Earth which remained in its original orbit.

The daughter of a famous scientist was a survivor of this apocalyptic event.
From her father's laboratory, she constructed a robot in hopes that it could navigate and remain unharmed by the radiation, searching for other survivors. In her rush, she created a program with multiple bugs. Due to advanced technology, the program could debug itself.

This is the debugging of the robot program.

Concept Art:
Posted Image

Controls:
Up- Jump, use elevators, save points
Right- Move right, sprint
Left- Move left, sprint
Down- Crouch, crawl, use elevetors
Space- Attack
T- Show completion percentage and game time
F4- Toggle fullscreens
Esc- Quit
F9- Take a screenshot

Screenshots:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

About: I started making this game at the beginning of 2010. I made most of it for competition05, but the end of it was rushed and its taken me until a few days ago to finally finish. Glad to finally be done!

Edited by huizengagames, 17 January 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#2 theALCH3MIST

theALCH3MIST

GMC Member

• 92 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

Interesting. And as a fan on Metroid games, behold, I click the download button :D

#3 jarensasaint

jarensasaint

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Alot of time went into this game. Its very polished. Really good game. i played for about 20 mins, and it seems to be a game you could play for a long time (hours and hours and hours). Both the "boss" battles i did were difficult but not too difficult... good balance. Did you do the art? Also a strong point for the game. Nice work for sure!

#4 huizengagames

huizengagames

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Haha, yes, this has been my most ambitious project thus far, and I plan to do more ambitious projects in the future.
I did do all the art, with the exception of some tiles in the mechanical areas.

Thanks very much!

#5 greenio3

greenio3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 93 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

I was really enjoying the game, but at what I presume was the first boss, I got this error message:

for object obj_cameratrienvo:

Error in expression:obj_player.x
position 12: Unknown variable x

I was really enjoying the game, nice job!

#6 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3984 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hey, this is a rather nice game.
Graphics, sound, and gameplay work nicely together, and can say that it takes some time to complete as well.

I've made a map (composed from a lot of screenshots) of earth\rock sector (link), seems pretty visual.

What you could improve in game is,
1. Increase amount of time in which keys can be pressed to be considered 'tapped' - it is quite hard to sprint in late game, seems to require 1/30sec timing
2. Fix character sprite while 'teleporting' between areas - it always displays original colors.
3. Make it so that you cannot 'answer' save dialog between it shows up by tapping key - that causes a message 'game saved' followed by a single frame of 'do you want to save the game?' and game not actually being saved.
4. Look into possible bug with icicles of enemies passing through walls in some levels.

Have a nice day.

#7 huizengagames

huizengagames

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hey, this is a rather nice game.
Graphics, sound, and gameplay work nicely together, and can say that it takes some time to complete as well.

I've made a map (composed from a lot of screenshots) of earth\rock sector (link), seems pretty visual.

What you could improve in game is,
1. Increase amount of time in which keys can be pressed to be considered 'tapped' - it is quite hard to sprint in late game, seems to require 1/30sec timing
2. Fix character sprite while 'teleporting' between areas - it always displays original colors.
3. Make it so that you cannot 'answer' save dialog between it shows up by tapping key - that causes a message 'game saved' followed by a single frame of 'do you want to save the game?' and game not actually being saved.
4. Look into possible bug with icicles of enemies passing through walls in some levels.

Have a nice day.

Wow! Very nice!
A map like that was something that I wanted to do, but I never got around to it. Instead I made a simpler one as you can see here: http://forums.yoyoga.../5/topics/74120

Thanks for all the nice compliments and feedback!

I will consider making those changes, but these days time is a thing that I don't have.

Your map, though, is definitely going up on the facebook. Thank you!

Oh, and PS, today I uploaded a small update which should have fixed all undefined variable problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users