#1 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

The Great Firewall

Overview

You play as Shii-Huan (喜欢 - Pinyin: Xi-Huan, which means "to like"), who has set out in search of the Dragon that lives at the top of the Great Firewall. Armed with a Golden Shield that reflects projectiles, he must face obstacles, challenges, and enemies as he climbs the side of the Firewall.

This game features some tough platforming, but there are plenty of checkpoints. :)

Controls

Arrow Keys, WASD, or IJKL: Move
<UP>, <W>, <I>, or <Z>: Jump
<SPACE> or <X>: Use Golden Shield

Download (6.74 MB, '.zip')

Download from MediaFire
YoYoGames

Screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by thetagames, 13 January 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

The game has an interesting feel to it. I guess that's because of the Chinese-character sprites, and the rather stark looking graphics. It definitely has a rather unique atmosphere.

I wasn't thrilled with the gameplay. Nothing wrong with the game... it's just not my favorite style. But I liked the music (Impressions of China). Nice that you composed this yourself. +1 for that. :smile:

#3 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

The game has an interesting feel to it. I guess that's because of the Chinese-character sprites, and the rather stark looking graphics. It definitely has a rather unique atmosphere.

I wasn't thrilled with the gameplay. Nothing wrong with the game... it's just not my favorite style. But I liked the music (Impressions of China). Nice that you composed this yourself. +1 for that. :smile:

Glad you liked the atmosphere and music! As for the Chinese-characters, I was inspired to use them while studying traditional characters. Even if you have no idea what the character represents, I feel as though there is a certain "lifelike" quality to it - for example, in some characters, you can see abstract likenesses of arms, legs, and faces. This is what inspired me to use these images for the main character of the game (and many of the NPCs). If you understand the meaning of some of the characters, I feel as though it adds something else to the game (though knowing Chinese is not necessary to play this game). For example, "人" means "person" and "老师" means "teacher" (with a sort of "older teacher" connotation).

About the gameplay; I guess it isn't everyone's style. Though there is lots of platforming, I hope the small amounts of "combat" with the Golden Shield spice things up.

Thanks for the reply,

~thetagames