• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 06jamhob

06jamhob

GMC Member

• 664 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

/

Edited by 06jamhob, 22 January 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#32 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• Retired Staff
  • 15416 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

No need to yell man.

#33 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6822 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

This is a ridiculous, short sighted idea that is ill thought through.
<...>
ITS A FLAWED IDEA! IT IS IMPRACTICAL AND IMPOSSIBLE TO IMPLEMENT, YOUR FIGURES ARE USED INCORRECTLY AS YOU HAVE NOT THOUGHT ABOUT IT REALISTICLY, AND JUST SAID WHAT U WANT IT TO BE AND MANIPULATED YOUR FIGURES TO ACHEIVE THIS!

Holy crap... calm down. :sad: This was a discussion about possible ideas. Posts were pro / con / devil's advocate ... just tossing out ideas.

That's what makes an interesting discussion.

#34 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3020 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

I don't like digital downloads period, at least for commercial games.

If the gaming industry were to go completely digital, I would stop buying games completely.

#35 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• Retired Staff
  • 15416 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

If the gaming industry were to go completely digital, I would stop buying games completely.

I don't know about that for me. the topic was spawned from that steam topic... Is it because of the digital copy having a DRM attached to it, or the lack of a pre-make cd/dvd. Me, right now, it's the shear size. I tried to get a crippled "try before you buy" version of StarCraft... ~6 GB. I hit that cancel button. Can't blow my monthly dl limit.

#36 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9384 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

I'm the opposite. I hate discs. Discs can be lost, scratched, snapped, melted in the microwave, etc. Not only that, but I can't stand having a massive pile of discs.

Before Steam existed, I'd always crack any software I bought (and wanted to play more than once) because I hate having to find the disc. Now I don't buy discs. I love knowing that if I accidentally drop my laptop from 100 stories up by trying to balance my coffee on the wrong edge of it while I had it balanced on the railing of the balcony, I can just get a new computer, log in and download all my games again. The best thing about Steam, in comparison to other DRM, is that if I don't have an internet connection, for the most part my games can all still be played. The other best thing is that I can pick up copies of awesome games for no more than a few dollars each.

I have nearly 200 games bought on my Steam account. Before Steam existed, I'd dread the thought of where I'd store all those cases.

Me, right now, it's the shear size. I tried to get a crippled "try before you buy" version of StarCraft... ~6 GB. I hit that cancel button. Can't blow my monthly dl limit.

My ISP recently set up their own Steam server. Free Steam data for customers :D (for games they have on their server, which is most but not all). Now I struggle to use my limit!

#37 Bytewin

Bytewin

GMC Member

• 92 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:16 AM

I struggle to find an ISP that does give you a dl limit.
Seriously. Most services nowadays, at least in Florida, you just pay for your internet, they set your speed according to the price you pay, and voila, you can download whatever you want as long as you don't hack the system somehow and change your dl speed. The more files you download, the slower your internet goes, so they don't lose money because they don't have to give your computer any more speed...
I don't understand how people can live with dl limits nowadays.

#38 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9384 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:44 AM

Seriously. Most services nowadays, at least in Florida, you just pay for your internet, they set your speed according to the price you pay, and voila, you can download whatever you want as long as you don't hack the system somehow and change your dl speed. The more files you download, the slower your internet goes, so they don't lose money because they don't have to give your computer any more speed...

Because not everyone lives in the US.

In any case, I'd hate to have internet that goes slower the more you use it!

Edited by Dangerous_Dave, 23 January 2012 - 01:45 AM.

#39 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• Retired Staff
  • 15416 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:06 AM

In Canada we struggle to find one that does not have capping. Just another scheme to supplement profits. The main providers adopted this scheme... and they even do it to other providers as other providers must use the main provider's network so they are capped to so they must cap us (Because Bell Canada owns all our arses), so no provider I talked with can offer a limitless setup.

#40 gamereality

gamereality

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

In Australia we suffer from slower speeds. However, most of the providers are flat rate ($70 p/m, $110 p/m with phone for 8000 kbits/s speed and 50 GB/month download limit), meaning once you go over the cap, they limit your speed (in this case, to 256 kbits/s). Some places have ADSL2+ though, which is good, but we never get more than 50% of the speed we're meant to.

#41 lmbarns

lmbarns

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 60 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

Ever heard of Comcast Cable? They'll cut you off, but the limit is so high most people don't encounter it.

However, this guy did, in my area, it was in the news 6 months ago or so here at least, in Seattle, WA, USA http://venturebeat.c...igh-data-usage/

#42 Bytewin

Bytewin

GMC Member

• 92 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Ever heard of Comcast Cable? They'll cut you off, but the limit is so high most people don't encounter it.

However, this guy did, in my area, it was in the news 6 months ago or so here at least, in Seattle, WA, USA http://venturebeat.c...igh-data-usage/

Well that sucks. I don't know if Brighthouse has a limit but I stream videos and download constantly so it must be reaaaallly high

#43 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• Retired Staff
  • 15416 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

Here is a funny little blurb from tedtalks about piracy cost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users