Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hello GMC,

Posted Image

NOTE: This game is currently going through a complete re-write from scratch - download the new version now, but for the full experience, download the old version.

Ninja Bob follows the story of a young ninja, named Bob who becomes part of the Emperors royal guard. When the Emperor gets captured by the Japanese mafia boss of the samurai, all hell breaks loose! Now Ninja Bob must rescue the Emperor, save china, and rebuild his reputation with nothing but a sword, a black belt, and his ninja skills...

Here are some screenshots of the gameplay so far;
Spoiler

Download the V3 rewrite now
or
Download an old version now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cahGPpdf70&feature=plcp&context=C3aa5563UDOEgsToPDskKg0A9spm12S9UwEtRbEb8H

Controls;
Spoiler

The latest DevBlog update;
Spoiler

PM me if you want to help create graphics - I am looking for a graphic designer.

Tributes
Spoiler

Thanks,

Zesterer

Edited by Zesterer, 29 February 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#2 M_I_Soft

M_I_Soft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Had a quick play and it's a good start and looks like it's going to be a great engine. Even on my old laptop that I use as a baseline it runs pretty well and averages between 44 and 60 fps depending on what's being drawn at the time.
Only thing I did find a little awkward was the controls, but that's maybe because my brain is programmed to use the cursors for movement if they're in use and not splitting between wasd and cursors. May be worth adding a control redefine function at some stage to help us old folk who are stuck in our ways to change the keys to suit :)

In general tho I was impressed and will keep an eye on it to see how it develops as I think it has a great deal of promise!

#3 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3901 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

* Controls are pretty strange, as said above. You should rather use WASD+Space and mouse to hit\rotate camera.
* NPCs constantly get stuck in trees
* There's a lot of polygon 'tearing' - compiling with GM8.1 fixes this issue
* (at least for me,) triangles at one of sides of map were missing. Likely 1k triangle limit impact. Again, building with GM8.1 fixes this.
* Car physics are not less than strange. Time to time I even managed to do a 'moon ride' (moving in opposite direction of cars facing, while holding 'forward' key).
To say, from your older request I expected some different kind (as, genre and structure) of game. To not be seen as disappointment.

#4 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the replies!

To address your comments;

-The controls, although complex to someone new to the game, seem to be fine once you get used to them. I have been playing during test obviously, and have now got used to them, and they feel smoother and more evenly spread than the AWSD and space controls (which I tried earlier).

-The polygon tearing is a bit annoying - but I shall fix that soon, so I can add water (The only thing stopping me from adding it was the fact that the tearing made it look really bad)

-The car physics are strange, I agree. It is a test version, and I am reading up on more advanced 3D car physics to completely re-write their scripts and make them more realistic, but I haven't yet got round to it.

-The plot is not currently implemented in any way due to this game still being in a very early test version - i have yet to include alot of major features, and these WILL be coming soon.

Thanks for all your feedback, it really helps,

Zesterer

#5 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1403 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:52 AM

Ohhhh, awesome, a "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" clone!

Seriously, why did you release something this clearly horrible. It took me longer to figure out the controls than it did to find like 5 bugs. Not to be offensive, I'm just telling you, never release games this drastically, intensely, extremely, undeniably, definitely unpolished.

P.S, I'll COMPLETELY re-write this review if you update the game, but I'm a little annoyed that you released literal garbage, like, completely incomplete and unplayable.

#6 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

I shall take your comments into account. As I stated earlier, it is a test engine, with a test level. It is no-where near a full game yet, and there is currently no objective. I will agree there are many bugs, but I am fixing them. A new version is out now, with a simple inventory system, and items (currently have no use). I have also added smooth shadows, and got-rid of some glitches. I shall start implementing the plot soon.

Thanks,

Zesterer

#7 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1403 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

My MAIN problem is the Vehicles. It never feels like I have any control over them, and I dunno, maybe that bugs my survival instincts. Hold forward, the car might drift right... Hold back, the car flies.. Nothing makes sense. It's like the wheels have no friction and the hills are made of ice.

#8 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

Yes, I understand what you mean. In a dreadful attempt at improving the car mechanics I have horrendously twisted them out of shape into something barely recognisable as anything to do with a car, let alone car physics. However, I am reading up on this article;

http://www.asawicki.... for Games.html

I hope to implement at least some of it successfully without becoming a discrase to Issac Newton. However, This is not a focus point currently. The cars were simply an add-on to spice up gameplay. My true objective is to improve the item and inventory system, as you can see from the next update I have added in the last few hours. If you have any suggestions, just tell me.

Also, I am looking for a good texture artist. Yellowafterlife did do a bit of work for me, and I was impressed by the textures and am currently using them in a later update. If anyone wants to come forward and do some more, I would Be grateful.

Thanks,

Zesterer

#9 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9261 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:21 AM

I think the kick should complete itself on a simple press, and not by holding the button down. It just looks weird.

Also, why do you control the player with WASD and the car with the arrow keys?

#10 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

I know it is confusing. I am working on a control customiser now. As for the kick, I shall change it accordingly.

#11 razourik

razourik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1871 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Something about the main character reminds me of minecraft :P

#12 orange451

orange451

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1095 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

So minecraft invented the idea of a character made of cubes?

#13 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9261 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

Of course! Just like Call of Duty inventing the first person shooter.

#14 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

The main reasons I did it were;

On my previous version the higher quality models made it lag alot.

Doing low-poly but realistic models would look bad, and so something that is deliberately old-school looks better.

Drawing blocks is alot faster than anything else.

Also;
In the next update I am adding (working on or finished now)
-a better control system - mouse controlled camera!
-inventory system with usable items
-improved movement and visual effects
-more advanced culling systems to increase speed on lower-end computers
-terrain customisation (still in progress cause I'm not happy with how it looks currently)
-smaller plot elements and/or gameplay objects

Keep your suggestions coming!

Thanks,

Zesterer

#15 orange451

orange451

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1095 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Something about the main character reminds me of minecraft Posted Image

Of course! Just like Call of Duty inventing the first person shooter.

Hmm... so then who invented the third person-type game? Gears of War?
:P

#16 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Its update time!

This new update includes;

-Inventory
-Items
-Item models
-New control system
-New camera system
-New Terrain system (increased speed and fps)
-Item dropping system
-A help file accessed with 'F1'

Hope you guys like it, please comment!

Zesterer

#17 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1081 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

Neat! The slopes and stuff work surprisingly well, and it'll be pretty good once you put the story in.
I found a tree sticking out of a hill. You can see it among all the cars I crashed. The framerate was also really low for some reason.
Spoiler

Nice start though!

TheUltimate

#18 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for your comments! Yeah, no idea how the hell that tree got there... Ill have to check on my code. :D

I'm still working on story implementation and I do currently have terrain editing - but I'm not happy with how it looks yet. Buildings are definitely going to be fun - both to code and to play on. I'm planning on having some very complex collision detection of my own for that.

I have still not improved the car physics - and the new camera system has mucked it up, so that's another thing to look out for. Arrow firing will arrive soon, as well as better AI, health, lives, hunger (maybe), and objectives. I am working on improving the fps, but it's proving pretty difficult with all that terrain - if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would love it if you could contact me.

Thanks,

Zesterer

#19 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hello Again!
If you haven't visited this topic before, this is Ninja Bob 3D. Go to the first post to download, or see screenshots.

If you have been here before, welcome back. I have created an update!

Update includes;
-New items
-MUCH faster terrain rendering (reaches a max of 50 fps on my dual core laptop!)
-Signs!
-Better HUD
-Fixed Bugs
-New control system
-Bow & arrows now work properly
-Better generation engine

If you like this game, comment! If you don't tell me why, and what I can do to change this!

Thanks,

Zesterer

#20 StigianGames

StigianGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Do you still need help with graphics? I might be of some use.

#21 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

Yes! Textures and 3D models especially, along with some story and menu graphics... I will contact you when I am aware of what I currently require...

#22 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1217 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

I think you should pre-load the sound

#23 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Yes, I agree, but the loading time significantly increases - it already takes about 5-10 seconds. Anyway - I am doing a complete overhaul of the engine - especially the collision system (I will be using Gamer3D's 3d collision engine similar to p3dc DLL but apparently better) - and rebuilding most of the game mechanics - it will be quite a time until a new version comes out, but it should be worth the wait...

#24 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

Why preload, it will make it take longer to initially load...

#25 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1217 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Why preload, it will make it take longer to initially load...

because the sound stammers

#26 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

Rest assured I will be fixing this, and many other problems in the next update, as well as including many more features for the game. A 'proper' demo level will also soon be available!

#27 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

[Can't delete this damn thing]

Edited by KygonsCube, 21 February 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#28 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Uh... OK.

Anyway, just to let you guys know, I will probably be completely rewriting Ninja Bob 3D from scratch because I'm not happy with it currently.

Thanks,

Zesterer

#29 Stevie-J

Stevie-J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Good game! I'd love to see it finished, because i'll definitley play this when its finished!
Except I couldn't find any cars to drive. :ohmy:
Anyways I liked it! :thumbsup:

#30 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Yes, I have dis-included the cars currently due to some glitches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users