5 replies to this topic

#1 Aero88

Aero88

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 460 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

I am using GM 8.1 Standard and I have noticed some strange glitch-like behavior with midis... Or perhaps I just don't understand. Anyhow it seems that semi-randomly some midis play with strange results. Sometimes my midi plays just fine, but then sometimes it will play at like 10 times the normal speed, or sometimes some of the instruments are muffled or out of key, but then sometimes they go back to playing normal... Does anybody know how to keep this from happening, or has anybody else had this happen to them? Thanks for you time!

Edited by Aero88, 30 December 2011 - 11:54 PM.

#2 gmx0

gmx0

The Messenger

• GMC Member
  • 1202 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

Some of the problems are with the computer's sound card. Other problems is with GM handling sound. The only recommendation I can give you is to use a sound DLL separate from GM entirely.

#3 Aero88

Aero88

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Hm... I have never used a DLL before. Also my plan is to submit this game to YoYo games to be published on the ipod/ipad... or at least something. So... Can I even use a DLL if I want to do that? I think we are supposed to stick to the basic GM functions... I could be wrong though. I did look into using the super sound DLL a while back, but I couldn't get any sounds to play through it...

#4 Ting_Thing

Ting_Thing

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:59 PM

Well, after you submit the game then it runs off of "the other guy's" sound card, so you needn't worry there.

I don't know much about game submission for publishing, but midi has had a bad rap for sound quality, and I don't even know if things like ipods have soundfonts which play midi sounds. Whatever the case, you might want to look into Mp3's or Wav files or something. For anything to be published, it has to be super professional.

And by the way, you might be able to make things go better with your soundcard if you simplify the midi music which you are playing. Combine some channels or something with a midi editor, and make sure that your midi files are preloading.

Edited by Ting_Thing, 31 December 2011 - 12:03 AM.

#5 Aero88

Aero88

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:46 AM

Thanks. Yeah I heard they are going to be pretty stiff for submissions. I am putting my best work into this project though so hopefully it will make it. We shall see. I will have a look at making all my background music Mp3's. I just hate that Mp3's are so dang large. The music for the game would way more than double the size. Is there a way to compress Mp3's or something? Wav files tend to be pretty large for background music as well... Hm... Thanks for your tips!

#6 Ting_Thing

Ting_Thing

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:27 AM

For your information: Mp3 files are much lighter than their WAV equivalents. You can save several megabytes by using Mp3 files. However, Mp3 files don't work with some sound options that Game Maker offers. You may want to look that up in the manual.

There are also probably audio program out there which will let you save music at a "lower quality" to save space. This may be your ticket as long as the quality isn't too low that it makes a noticeable difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users