11 replies to this topic

#1 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

Make point and click games - has to be the BEST way to make stunning 3D graphics in GM. It actually runs very fast in comparison to the usual 3D methods used in GM.
I made an open source example which is also a vague preview of a game I'm in the process of making (it's gonna be commercial, and a very long project with many environents). This works with PC only, perhaps on Mac as well but I don't have a Mac Computer / GM4Mac so I can't test it.

Feel free to try out the example I posted over at the sandbox:
http://sandbox.yoyog...re_game_example

The 3d rendering program I used is called Sweet Home 3D, a very amazing FREE program indeed. If you have any models made with GM in the *.mod format you mayt convert them to OBJ which can import into sweet home 3D.

The sweet home website:
http://www.sweethome3d.com/

And the GM MOD to Sweet Home 3D OBJ converter (it actually works!):
http://sandbox.yoyog...3383-gmmodelfix

Notice the lighting engine sweethome 3D uses, it's WAY better than what GM can do alone:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And I didn't add any programing comments but if you understand GML well enough it should make enough sence.
Title Screen:
Posted Image
Working Inventory System:
Posted Image

Not to mention 360 degree panoramas and videos which make your game's animation come to life, and it all can be rendered in sweet home or any other program you like to use for rendering high quality graphics. Import the images and videos as resources and/or include files to be loaded into Game Maker. No matter how you do it, as long as you have the right rendering tool, point and click games have never sounded so awsome until now. :D

I really hope some of you guys will consider this technique. as it really should both speed up your 3D games as well as make them more proffessional. :D
I'm excited to see some projects being made using this method.

Hope you like the idea!
TKG

Edited by time-killer-games, 27 December 2011 - 04:22 PM.

#2 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1403 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

This makes 3D pictures. That's not useful at ALL to people trying to make 3D games!

#3 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

This makes 3D pictures. That's not useful at ALL to people trying to make 3D games!

Depends on what the 3D game's genre is the user is shooting for. If it's a FPS or anything like that then yes this shouldn't help at all.

Edited by time-killer-games, 26 December 2011 - 05:45 PM.

#4 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1403 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Any 3D genre would require 3D rendering in real-time.

An 3D FPS would not be an 3D FPS if it used pre-rendered images, it would be Duck Hunt.

#5 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

The panorama technically uses real 3d. And it's ment to be the puzzle/ adventure genre. Thanks for the feedback

#6 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1403 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

Very good, so it's definitely in the wrong sub forum as it's not 3D.

#7 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

Very good, so it's definitely in the wrong sub forum as it's not 3D.

Actually if you understood what I meant it does fit in this forum category. It uses d3d_draw_ellipsiod with a pre renderened texture to make the panorama. So why is everyone on the Internet potentially argumentative?

#8 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1403 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

I don't know, something about the internet. I don't mean to be argumentative, I just mean that it's not a 3D technique, it's a 2D technique. It's also over 35mb already, and failed the first time I downloaded it, so I gave up.

But yes, it's not a 3D technique because it is useless in any 3D game and, more so, it's called a "SkySphere". The same technique is used for sky's which aren't interactive. If you advertise it as a new way to use Sky Spheres, you'll be good. (It would be very cool to see a pre-rendered City in this technique, far off in the distance.)

#9 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3984 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Honestly, I've expected 49MB of lightmaps and textures rather than 49MB of hq panorama images.
But this works too, if you're doing point-n-click game.
I find topic title a good trick, saying (deminified) "3d graphics [in] GameMaker at its best" rather than "GameMaker's 3d graphics at its best".

#10 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1403 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

Pretend I said what YaL said, he said it how I wanted to say it.

I just don't like being "tricked" by topic titles. xD

#11 Gamer3D

Gamer3D

Human* me = this;

• GMC Member
  • 1819 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:47 AM

If you don't mind, please change the title and post. It is misleading, and we don't want our time wasted by this.

But anyway, about the method you use:
It's close to the method used in Myst III and IV to provide free looking, but not free movement.
It's more efficient to draw a cube instead of a sphere (No extra render-to-sphere problems too). This is what is done in Myst. (Textures failed to load once. I saw the cube)

#12 master123

master123

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 65 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

Sorry to bump but the file doesn't exist anymore. Anyone have a copy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users