Nitemare37

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

thanks Sasuke12 for your help

Screenshots:
http://imageshack.us...s/838/ssgn.png/ (target smash with Mario)
http://imageshack.us...s/810/ssg1.png/ (Pikachu and kirby on Donut Plains)
Description:
hey guys, I just felt like making a official post of my massive project recreating super smash bro.s 64 with added stages and charictars

Directions:
use mouse until match starts. player one: arrows to move and N to attack; ASDW to move and SHIFT to attack

Latest version:
Currently I'm replacing sprites for version 1.3.2 [v. 1.3.2 health bar pack 60% done]
Latest published version:
-https://www.box.com/s/xclajzp6cxp21hjkv8lm (put in address) (this is 1.3.2, I put that in there by accident)
Other versions:
-http://www.upurload.com/files/26e176dc1a2cdcb66dfadedff682ca07.exe (put in address)
-http://www.upurload.com/files/1b0335b4b26e2c0675e82ee970b956c4.exe (put in address)
Future add ons:
-Stage Packs: heath pack (v 1.3.2)(Jan-Feb) Warioware stage pack (v 1.3.3)(unknown date)
-new stages: A wario stage (v.1.3.3) Tetro seas (v. 1.4)(based on my second ever game called Super Orange Land 1 world 2)
-new charictars: Link (v 1.4) secret Charictar (v 1.4)(only obtainable through asking me what the code is until v 1.5)

Please play the game COMMENT and give me constructive advice!

Q&A:
Q: Hey N37, why is there a maximum of only two players that can play at once?
A: unforinitly I can't add more than 2 player slots without doubling the time it takes to make these demos. what I can do is eventually add online mode!

Q:Hey N37, Why do your updates take so long considering its tiny size?
A: I like doing things the slow and easy way unstead of using codes to write everything, sorry

Q:Nitemare, will you add more than vs. mode to the game?
A: yes I just added target smash. version 4 should have a trophy mode so you can get a understanding the stages or charictars that I invented without having to play my games (but it would be nice if you did).

Q:What will your next pack have?
A: SSG [v. 1.3.2] might have a health bar in vs mode so the charictars can take more than one hit, it will also have better mario and kirby sprites

Edited by Nitemare37, 02 October 2012 - 12:06 AM.

Things I need to do for the SSG v 1.4.0 (yes I'm post poning the first stage dlc):
-combine charictar objects [_]
-add the new stages [_]
-add health[_]
-fix major bugs from 1.3.2 [_]
Percent finished so far: Overall (about 5% done)
I'v only planned out in detail what I'm going to do, I haven't started fixing anything yet.

#2 sasuke12

sasuke12

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

I'm goin to be honest... I like what you did with the game and the set up and stuff... but no one will actually enjoy playing this!

Here's my constructive advice for you...

START OVER...

Not completely from scratch, but at least fix the following... [1] when you jump, you fall through the ground, a simple move_to_contact(solids) would fix that. [2] I would like it more if it didn't look like a game made right after Pong (the first videogame ever). The graphics are bad and i know your not making them and they are hard to find but at least make them look like they are moving. [3] The jumping is more like flying... hold the up key and you will continually move at i'm guessing a 45 degree angle right? [4] I've been developing games for awhile and I can assure you, the best way you can attract people with your game is the main menu/title screen, when people see that they get interested in it, or not... which in your game's case is a not... spice it up a bit, because it looks like a 3 year old went at it with a crayon, I can help you with this since I'm a GUI Programmer. [5] Meet people's expectations... By this I mean, updated versions should at least look like they've been updated for the time it takes for one of your updates. [6] Don't be sloppy... Games are beautiful creations, so you should show it off a little more, make a sweet a** HUD (heads-up display)... I can also help you with this! You should also make the other player a AI, and a good one not a dumb a** one that punches every 5 sec. which you see in a lot of people's games :( but you need one that can run through animations and come at you, sit back and charge up an attack, or even get the hell out of dodge from an explosive that landed next to him. I'm not to good at AIs but some people are, so I would also recommend getting a team request set up, but not many will join since it's not an original idea with original sprites, but you could get a spritest to make original sprites and these could be your "working" sprites!

That's it! GOOD LUCK!
"Everyday poses new questions and every question, gives new answers!"

#3 Nitemare37

Nitemare37

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

I desided to change the title, fix 2 glitches, and something else I forgot so I desided to update the post so here is my noticifcation.
also I deeply considered your recommondations sasuke12 but I 'm got going to completely start over

Edited by Nitemare37, 10 May 2012 - 08:27 PM.

Things I need to do for the SSG v 1.4.0 (yes I'm post poning the first stage dlc):
-add the new stages [_]
-add health[_]
I'v only planned out in detail what I'm going to do, I haven't started fixing anything yet.

#4 Nitemare37

Nitemare37

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

I'm one fourth of the way done 1.3.2 so keep commenting! *bump*
side note: one thing i'm tackling is fixing the bug that lets you walk on air, this will be annoying to fix so if anyone has a suggestion I would be really happy to hear it!

Edited by Nitemare37, 08 March 2012 - 12:40 AM.

-add the new stages [_]
-add health[_]

#5 sasuke12

sasuke12

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

I'm one fourth of the way done 1.3.2 so keep commenting! *bump*
side note: one thing i'm tackling is fixing the bug that lets you walk on air, this will be annoying to fix so if anyone has a suggestion I would be really happy to hear it!

I can do it... if i knew some coding?
"Everyday poses new questions and every question, gives new answers!"

#6 Watulio

Watulio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

Hmm, well. There are some stuff you could easily fix by looking at any platformer example and copy most of the D&D or GML. here's the one provided by Yoyogames. http://sandbox.yoyog...ls/platform.zip <-- direct link to tutorial.

Anyways. Kirby could really use a different sprite, when the players get hit they will only fly horizontally to their death without being able to do anything, The jump is basically flying.
Check the codes in the platformer tutorial and I'm sure you'll get a hang of the platformer basics

#7 Nitemare37

Nitemare37

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

"...Here's the one provided by Yoyogames. http://sandbox.yoyog...ls/platform.zip <-- direct link to tutorial."
I'm glad you posted this reply and I'm very happy that you posted the link. Funny story, literally yesterday I remembered that there was a platformer tutorial on the website that could help me with physics bugs like infinite jumping etc. so thank you for the link!

"Anyways. Kirby could really use a different sprite, when the players get hit they will only fly horizontally to their death without being able to do anything, The jump is basically flying."
First thng, In 1.3.2 (the version I'm currently working on) I had JUST replaced kirby's entire set of sprites with a MUCH better set that I think you will enjoy!
Second, I'm currently working on letting players come back on stage as well as a health bar for vs. mode that counts down to zero (so far, so good with adding this since it is so unexspectingly easy to add)
Third, in the semi-distant future I plan on leting the charictars get blasted in other directions as well.

"Check the codes in the platformer tutorial and I'm sure you'll get a hang of the platformer basics"
Everything I don't know, I will learn form the tutorial so thank you again for your helpful advice
-add the new stages [_]
-add health[_]

#8 Nitemare37

Nitemare37

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

Update: I'm like, 55% done! I stile have to fix glitchs, add one or two things and I will be done v. 1.3.2
also...bump
-add the new stages [_]
-add health[_]

#9 Nitemare37

Nitemare37

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Update: I finished everything except I still have to finish the health bar problem. Even that is almost done so exspect the next version sometime in August.

Edited by Nitemare37, 28 July 2012 - 08:33 PM.

-add the new stages [_]
-add health[_]

#10 Watulio

Watulio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

I hope it has 3D graphics, 45 character roster, 180 hours of gameplay and moar by now.

Ahaha jk

#11 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

New file host please.

I would reccommend box.net, dropbox, upurload, etc, etc...

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#12 Nitemare37

Nitemare37

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

three things:

1. I know your joking but here is a fyi: The exspected amout of charactars is about 20. The game will evenually have 3d stages and the 2d stages will be made 3d. The amount of stages will be something like 16 (plus add-on stages which are like DLCs but are free) and the gameplay will be reasonable thanks to there eventually being a trophy mode, vs. mode, target smash, and Hardcore mode. (maybe a mini career mode but I dought it)

2. I changed the file type of all the .exe downloads of the top post so that anyone could download them without logging on.

3. Things to look foward to:
-There being a much better jump
-The player can take a hit
-much better Mario sprites (plus a kirby walking sprite)
Things to be disapointed about:
-Me being Notorius for post poning
-After four hits you automaticly die (IF the health bar even work like as planned)
-The player slowly falls through the floor

Edited by Nitemare37, 29 July 2012 - 02:21 PM.

-add the new stages [_]
-add health[_]

#13 Watulio

Watulio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

For The health, make a new variable called health and give it whichever amount you want ( giving different amount of health to each characters to compensate for another ability encourages players to choose between many characters).

Then when you make that the characters take the hit put the amount of health you'll take.

Example:

*Create Event*

Healthvar = 100 // sets your objects health to a 100, you can change it to anything else

*collision with block*

hspeed = 0

// I put this because if you get hspeed in your character and touch a wall you will get stuck. This code avoids that problem, making your character stop moving to the sides when crashing into a wall.

*Collision event (When the projectiles are the ones that damage, put the colission event in the receiver, othewise put the colision in the attacking character)*

// Set your conditions first. If a simple collision is enough to deal damage then don't write anything.

Other.health = -10 // you can change this value to whatever you like

//then I will put projectile only codes
Other. vspeed = -4 // or any negative number. This basically makes the damaged character jump in the air after receiving a hit, perfect for knockback when combined with hspeed
Other.hspeed = (hspeed/abs(hspeed))*2 // the damage taker is moved where the projectile was Facing. If you get hit in the right sight, you'll be knocked to the left. The number 2 can be changed for custom knockback. Remember that you'll be blown until you touch a wall

Hope this helps. If you don't understand the code I might send you a gmk file that explains it in a better way.

#14 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

Anyone else getting a broken download link?

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#15 Nitemare37

Nitemare37

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

I fixed the broken download links and now they should automaticly let you download the file when you put in in your address.

also, I'm going to hold off adding the health bar until version 1.4.0 so that I can finish everything else and be able to upload v. 1.3.2 with EVERYTHING I said it would have except the health bar itself. This would also lower my chances for uploading it in more than two weeks from now.

however, waltulio if you could give me the .gmk file so I could understand the health bar coding better, I would appreciate it.

random FYI: v. 1.4.0 will have another charictar, trophy mode, and another stage or two
-add the new stages [_]
-add health[_]

#16 Watulio

Watulio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

How's the game going? I'll send you the gmk. Sorry I haven't been lurking for some time this page.

#17 Watulio

Watulio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

Oi, here's some animations, gravity and health bars. Press f1 to know how to play with the health bars and check health control to know the variables that are used.

Enjoy. http://www.mediafire...7ackzyz79disub6

#18 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

I like your name by the way, it's a shame the game isn't being worked on anymore.

Edited by Nitemare38, 14 September 2014 - 01:40 PM.

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#19 Watulio

Watulio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:59 AM

Rip in piece this game. 

#20 SDG

SDG

GMC Member

• GMC Member