Simple low poly UV Mapping - Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KR_eddie

KR_eddie

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

I was looking for a simple way to UV map low poly models with low resolution textures.

To do something like this:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I'm too lazy to learn a real 3d editing program so I make my models in sketchup. My only problem is UV mapping, especially when using low resolution textures. I've been searching for a simple program to do it (like UVMapper or Wings 3D) but there is always a couple of problems:
- There is no option to snap the UV coordinates to pixels;
- They usually handle low resolution textures pretty badly because of interpolation.

Do you know of a simple way to do this?

Edited by KR_eddie, 21 December 2011 - 05:18 PM.

#2 link3000

link3000

Link3000

• GMC Member
  • 1130 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:01 AM

You can turn interpolation off. For actually setting up the UV coordinates, GM Model Fix, for example, will let you modify UV coordinates manually as they overlay the texture. If you're using low-poly models it shouldn't be too difficult.

#3 KR_eddie

KR_eddie

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

You can turn interpolation off. For actually setting up the UV coordinates, GM Model Fix, for example, will let you modify UV coordinates manually as they overlay the texture. If you're using low-poly models it shouldn't be too difficult.

In most of the programs I've found you can't turn it off at least for the texture. Modifying the coordinates manually works, and I've been doing that with AC3D but it results in a veeeery slow workflow (something like 20 min to map a box).

If you are working with very low resolution textures I find it easier to draw the texture first (after you know how your model will generally unwrap) and then drag the UV vertices to the texture.

That is what I want to do but usually when you use low resolution textures interpolation makes it very hard to precisely place the vertices. Even when I scale the texture up it is very hard to place them without creating seams. It would be much easier if you could snap the vertices to pixels.

An example of my problem:
Posted Image
Using UVMapper and the block texture for minecraft (256x256; 16x16 each block).

#4 link3000

link3000

Link3000

• GMC Member
  • 1130 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

In game maker itself though, you can turn off interpolation. Why is that a problem?

#5 KR_eddie

KR_eddie

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

In game maker itself though, you can turn off interpolation. Why is that a problem?

I don't want to turn interpolation off in game maker. I want to turn it off in the UV Editor so I can see the pixels with sharp edges.

Still, my main issue isn't this. Even if I could turn off interpolation I would have to place the UV vertices by hand and that would cause seams. If there was a simple way to make the UV vertices snap to pixels my problem would be solved.
I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear :sad:

Edited by KR_eddie, 19 December 2011 - 11:10 PM.

#6 zehevi

zehevi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 732 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

I actually find Model Creator V5 very good at UV mapping in such cases.
Another solution would be to use an external image editor and increase the resolution of the texture image with the lowest possible quality (Standart bicubic scaling would suffice).

Edited by zehevi, 20 December 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#7 KR_eddie

KR_eddie

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

I actually find Model Creator V5 very good at UV mapping in such cases.
Another solution would be to use an external image editor and increase the resolution of the texture image with the lowest possible quality (Standart bicubic scaling would suffice).

I've just tried Moder Creator and it does everything I need!!

Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users