• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

Hey guys!! I'll start with the bad news, if you're waiting for issue 3 of IndieGo to come out you might be in for something of a wait! It would appear to have folded. However in it's place we have risen. We are some of the surviving members of IndieGo and we hope you like what we've come up with.

ISSUE 2 OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Featuring.....
Blocks that matter,
Limbo,
Stray whisker,
Michel Gagne interview,
JMBT02 interview,
Game Theory - Toontown
and Amateur developers corner.
Posted Image

Head to www.theindependentgamer.co.uk now to find out how to get your free copy!!

Edited by TheIndependentGamer, 26 January 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#2 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4065 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

Looks good, but I noticed this on page 16:

Die (http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=515154) by Davve Awesome game! Its a very original platform shooter from Jam #3 that I loved!

It's hardly a shooter, but thanks for the small mention anyway. :P

1Amdi.png Swxmo.png RDHEw.png 17Ezd.png

#3 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 23902 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

Looks good, but I noticed this on page 16:

Die (http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=515154) by Davve Awesome game! Its a very original platform shooter from Jam #3 that I loved!

It's hardly a shooter, but thanks for the small mention anyway. :P

(Ahem) That's my fault... I mistyped and meant "Platform Puzzler". Sorry... I was probably still thinking about Psycho Powers when I wrote that!

As for the magazine, it is really well presented, with a nice dynamic layout that is not cluttered or contrived, but lively and easy to read... so I hope that you do well with it, but I would suggest that you make the digital version available without registering to a site as that will surely put people off...

Button_DynamicPuddles_zps068ef8eb.png Button_Flappy_zps7fcff3b6.png Button_RogueLike_zps6f3451a3.png IKrQvWr.png Button_MyGames_zpse9e80bb0.png

#4 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8040 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

Looks like a nice ezine, judging from the preview I could open. Can I download the free copy without signing up to your website?

#5 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8497 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

but I would suggest that you make the digital version available without registering to a site as that will surely put people off.

Exactly.

I went to the site clicked the Free Digital add to cart buttons, looked around a bit to see if I could download it without registering. Then left.

Will read when I see some kind of download that doesn't required registration.

Can I download the free copy without signing up to your website?

I'm not the only one who doesn't want to register.

keep_crap_150_zpsd7af69c5.png

#6 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hey guy's, thanks for the comments. I'll look into the download thing. However the sign up is useful for us as we can then email everyone who is following us to let them know the next issue is out.

#7 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7532 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Yeah, but you don't let the people who
A-don't want your e-mails
B-can check for themselves
look at your stuff. It's not a very good idea, all that can do is limit viewership, the opposite of what your strategy was.

Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?131124npmp3.png Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?1311

Mirrors Avatar by Stubbjax1337. 3000. 3999. 4444. Karoshi 2.0 custom levels. religious belief time: christian
http://ask.fm/AnUntitledAbridger

#8 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

True. I'll probably put a dropbox link on the website. I know the website is poor(for anyone who has looked at it) but maybe that will help.

#9 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4396 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

I was interested in this but then I went to the site and found out I needed to register. If you had a proven track record I wouldn't mind but for the first issue I wasn't too happy about this and well left.

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#10 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hey guy's here's a link to the magazine in my public dropbox folder. That way you don't have to sign up at magcloud if you don't want to.
http://dl.dropbox.co...er - Issue1.pdf

#11 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8040 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hey guy's here's a link to the magazine in my public dropbox folder. That way you don't have to sign up at magcloud if you don't want to.
http://dl.dropbox.co...er - Issue1.pdf

Good idea to provide this. Not that I'd refuse to sign up to Magcloud...it's just that there's not any reason to.

Anyway, I thought this issue was pretty good. I liked seeing the summary of the IGF China event. There were some excellent games submitted, from a part of the gaming world we don't see enough of in the West.

McGuchan's review of ITSP was good. Some limited details about the gameplay, but a fairly in-depth review -- including both positive and negative aspects. This game has been reviewed on lots of sites, but I often find that not many players know about it.

Great to learn about "everydaythesamedream". It looked really interesting so I played it a while. Haven't figured out the secret of the Elevator Lady yet... I'll save that for later.

I also plan to read the article about the GMC Jam, and the rest of the ezine. So I'll comment again later. But overall, this is worth downloading and reading. +1

#12 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for your comments. Hopefully the full website will soon be up too. Hoping to have a forum on there.

#13 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

New version of the website up now..........WITH FORUM!!!

#14 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

HAPPY CHRISTMAS FROM ALL AT THE INDEPENDENT GAMER!!!!!!
SEE YOU IN THE NEW YEAR FOR ISSUE 2!!!!

#15 theALCH3MIST

theALCH3MIST

GMC Member

• 92 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Happy new year, from all at IndieGraph. Enjoy :)

#16 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

Issue 2 of the Independent Gamer is coming together nicely and will hopefully be with you all soon. Plus look out for the new version of our website which should be launched within the next few days!!!

#17 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

I am so pumped for Issue 2 to come out soon!

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#18 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

New website launched today!! It contains a few sneak peaks of what's coming in issue 2!!

#19 ratchet22

ratchet22

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:46 AM

Issue 2 coming in the next week! (Or perhaps earlier! :o)
Posted Image

#20 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1090 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:05 AM

Well, that was certainly a nice read! The reviews and stuff were pretty nice and insightful, and the layout's decent. I’d never even heard of any of those games before reading it, but there was definitely enough detail for a good snapshot of it. I guess that’s the point, eh?
Then I saw the GMC Jam article, and thought “ooh, interesting!” Then I noticed that my game got mentioned and I was like O.o
The scary thing is that this wasn't the first time this has happened to me either... Wow. Kind of surprising.
Anyway, I enjoyed it. Nice work! :D

TheUltimate

P.S. Want somebody for testing your Jam game? Cause I'm up for it. :)

V.0.13 - GRAPHICS AND SFX UPDATE
image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#21 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for your comments!!
ISSUE 2 COMING VERY SOON!!!!
Posted Image

#22 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

ISSUE 2 OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Featuring.....
Blocks that matter,
Limbo,
Stray whisker,
Michel Gagne interview,
JMBT02 interview,
Game Theory - Toontown
and Amateur developers corner.
Posted Image

#23 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

I hope you all enjoyed it.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#24 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

New website launched today. Serious improvement over the last one, visually at least. Still very much a work in progress. Stay with us for more changes.
The Independent Gamer new website

#25 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8040 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

The new site looks very nice. Well done. And Issue 2 looks good too.... I'm a bit late reading it. But I still can't figure out how to download the free version without "signing up" -- which I don't really want to do.

Am I overlooking the link somewhere?

#26 SkullSoft

SkullSoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

I think your dropbox links are broken. The link from your website doesn't work at all; and the link from this topic gives me a dropbox page error:

Error (404)
We can't find the page you're looking for. Check out our FAQ or forums for help. Or maybe you should try heading home.
Posted Image

#27 SkullSoft

SkullSoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

Nice magazine! I read Issue 2 and will now go back for Issue 1.
I like the interview with JMBTo2! I've played lots of his games.
Posted Image

#28 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

Hey, thanks for your comments guys. I just the dropbox link and it seems to be working fine. Chance, its on the left under the magazine link and above the facebook link. If you want to download it right click and save link as, or you can view in browser by left clicking it. Might take a while to load on a slow connection the file is about 20mb I think.

#29 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8040 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Chance, its on the left under the magazine link and above the facebook link.

Yes, I got it. Thanks.

Just read the two interviews -- John Cooney of Armor games, and Michel Gagne (Insanely Twisted Planet). Both were VERY interesting interviews. It's great to read interviews of people who have succeeded and have some experience in the games industry. And I really hope ITP does well in the BAFTA awards. It deserves recognition.

#30 Joe H

Joe H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

I agree with chance, the interviews were excellent. I always love getting an inside look at the minds of developers. Great selections on the game reviews! Looking forward to next issue.

Independent Games by Joe and Matt:
evg_logo_header_125h.png

Spoiler

#31 StigianGames

StigianGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hey guys, issue 3 of the Independent Gamer is coming soon with....
Reviews of.....
Burning Thirst, Bastion, Transformice and of course as promised the top 3 games from Game Jam 5!
We also have an interview with the creators of Transformice and of course Josephs game theory section.

#32 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

ISSUE 3 OUT NOW!!!!
Posted Image
For your copy head here > The Independent Gamer

Edited by TheIndependentGamer, 10 March 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#33 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Sweet! Thanks for the kind review. The other articles were insightful and interesting as well.

One correction though. You quoted "One man's box is another man's hole" in Breaking the Facade, but the actual quote is "One man's wall is another man's way". :tongue:

Spoiler

#34 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• Global Moderators
  • 3141 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Could you perhaps use a host that doesn't require you to register?

EDIT:
Oh, found it. But why is it hidden below the navigation menu without anything saying what it is? You'll lose a lot of downloads if people can't find a direct link

Edited by TheSnidr, 10 March 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#35 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

I found the latest issue by clicking the drop box logo on the main page of the website.

Spoiler

#36 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Ah, sorry about the the mis-quote. I did really enjoy the game though. :)

#37 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

Just some comments and constructive criticism on the magazine. You may not like it but if the only feedback you ever get is blindly positive then it doesn't help you make a better product, which hopefully is what you want.

Just to preface, I have been directly involved with actual newspaper & magazine editing, layout and production. I'm not saying your magazine has to be pro but if you're trying to sell it for $5.00 (for a physical copy) then there's some things you should probably take note of.

1. The whole "Anyone for Raspberry PI?" headline has been done to death already...months ago by various sources releasing articles with the exact same title. The article reveals little depth and comes off as little more than an advertisement.

2. The GMCJam article doesn't even mention what Game Maker is anywhere in the article. You keep referring to GMC (the acronym) and some GMC forum users but how is anyone outside of the GMC community supposed to know what "GMC" is and who those people are? If this is supposed to be an Indie news & development magazine and not just Game Maker news & development then you need to preface by explaining what Game Maker is. Also, you end the article by directing people to the main forum page. You should instead link them directly to a relevant article or official announcement on the website. If it's something from the forum you can use an url shortener like bit.fly or goo.gl.

You then show a list of the winners with a bunch of random user names like Skeletor992 without a single link to their games or anything relevant. If I'm some random reader and not a GMC regular what does Water,Water,Water by Orange08 mean to me? Absolutely nothing.

3. You do a 4 page game review on Bastion which was released like 8 months ago. If you want people to buy your magazine then reviewing games that are almost a year old isn't going to cut it.

Again...another review for Transformice which...was released like TWO YEARS AGO. And Back to the Cubeture 2, again 2 years old.

4. You have full page advertisements for Game Maker HTML5 and some mod for Arma II (which is old). If you're not getting any compensation for including these advertisements in your magazine then what does it provide your readers other than filler space? If you think people should use it or try it out, why not do a review on it instead?

5. The 3-page article (which supposedly has a part 2 pending for next issue) doesn't grab the reader. It says the writer has some ideas for a great card game and then slowly and painfully draws it out through 3 pages without offering much reason for doing so. Don't ramble unless you have some good rambling that draws your readers in. The article should state its points upfront and then elaborate. Also, the way in which the article is written to me, makes no sense to cut off the article half-way and say wait another month for part 2 to listen to this idea I have.

6. You probably know this already or its probably been pointed out that the layout is a bit grating. I'm not gonna tell you how to layout your entire magazine but it would be a good idea to look at some magazines that you like, study their layout and try to emulate them. Pay special attention to how they format and layout images and text.

Also, the magazine is laid out like one big vertical page. If you are offering physical editions for sale then you should ask yourself what is this huge vertical thing going to look out when it's printed side by side? Probably not too great.

Also, pay attention to details like headers and footers that real physical magazines have.

7. Misc pointers:

I've seen a lot of independent magazine projects like this die out like flies. People have a short attention span for them too, quite often. Instead of doling out old news/extremely old news on a monthly basis you may want to consider a news type blog, with articles, dev news, etc. on a piecemeal basis.

If you really feel like doing a review on an old game, you should have a reason for reviewing it such as some brand new feature or update.

It's completely static. There doesn't appear to be a single dynamic link in the entire magazine.

Some of the stuff, comes off as really re-hashed like the Raspberry Pi headline/article, i.e. it sounds like you read an article about it then rewrote an article about the article you just read. If you're going to replicate what others have already extensively covered then you should have something new or an unique angle to bring to the table.

Summary:
I'm not saying it's downright bad. I've seen so much worse but these are some things you should consider if you want to elevate it to a higher level.

Edited by needsfoodbadly, 11 March 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#38 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for your comments. Although the hard copy of the magazine carries a price tag the digital download will be free forever. We never expect anyone to ever buy a copy.
1.I knew the Raspberry Pi headline was bad when I wrote it but I genuinely haven't ever seen it before, so I'll have to check on that.
2.This is the third issue we've talked about the GMC Game Jam, my bad for not explaining yet again what it is, and I really didn't have the space to put links to everyone's games in there.
3.We review games that we think people should, in our opinion, play. We cover old and new stuff but this varies from week to week.
4.The adverts are to show support for Gamemaker and Yoyogames. As for the Arma advert its there because the community it's advertising belongs to one of our writers.
5.No comment
6.Can you explain what you mean about it being grating? As for the 'one long page thing' have you tried setting your pdf viewer to double page spread? When the magazine is set out it's done as if it were going to print.
7.There's nothing wrong with reviewing old games as well as new ones. The Indie games need as much help as they can to get notice, old or new, so why not help everyone? As for the 'news' articles at the beginning, they are more quick overviews than full on articles. In a way headlines with a bit of information to get you interested in the subject.

As I said thanks for your comments, I respect your honesty.

#39 ratchet22

ratchet22

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Note: I am a writer for The Independent Gamer...

What he means is to redesign the magazine and focus more on the layout. I don't know about you, but you look at some magazines and say; "Hey, that looks really good". Whilst at the moment the layout for the magazine is very bland. It doesn't have any special thing. And, a monthly basis.. I dunno, it's just something you don't really do. Because, if you review a game say that is released at the start of the month and the magazine doesn't come out until the end of the month the review is really worthless. Sure, you give your opinion..

But, in the end; it doesn't really matter. Because people would of played it by then.
Also, website needs to be redesigned.
Posted Image

#40 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

@ratchet22

Well, Game Informer and PC Gamer both seem to do fine on a monthly basis. Finding a target niche would help in that respect though.

@TheIndependentGamer

2. Well, unless you intend for this mag to be aimed solely at the GMC audience, you can't expect when someone reads issue 3 that they have read issue 1 and 2 and already know what Game Maker is. That's how things work in the world of news. You have to explain things like that as if the reader hasn't read preceding articles or issues.

3. No problem with reviewing new and old games. You may want to make sort of a wrap-up type section though for any articles about older games like "Games you may have missed" or something along those lines. Separate new game reviews from the old ones so the reader isn't left wondering why there's a giant review for the game everyone's been talking about for the past half year.

6. Well, it's not the worst layout I've ever seen. In fact, it's better than most small-time indie mags/rags, many of which often look like someone's toddler went to town on Pagemaker/Indesign. The worst one in issue #3 is probably page 16 which is a giant wall of text. Aside from that, it's not too bad but you kind of overuse the whole half-page bit (top half is an image, bottom half is all text). You could also include more information in the headers and footers but as long as you have page numbers at least (which you do) that's fine.

7. You're right! But like I said you should discern that for the reader. Older games (unless you're writing about a new patch or update) should have a separate section. A lot of game magazines for example, have a block of info at the top which states, release/released date, publisher and systems/os it's available for.

As a final note, an Indie Game mag is pretty ambitious considering the number of megalithic websites already dedicated to the indie gaming and development scene on a daily and near 24/7 basis.

I'm not saying don't do because its been done but you might find you have more success if you target a specific niche audience, like the Game Maker audience for example. You could focus the magazine on the GM audience, GM games and GM news and if you still wanted to cover some non-GM games / news you could still stick that in on the side.

You'll have to forgive me if I'm a little more critical than most because I actually do print & television news production IRL. I would just say just consider some of those pointers, take away from it what you want or what works for you and with a little spit & polish you could have an A+ indie mag on your hands.

Edited by needsfoodbadly, 11 March 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#41 Light iDEAS

Light iDEAS

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

@TheIndependantGamer I was wondering if you could have a quick look at the demo for an up and coming game Blox Quest-Thelostchapters you can see the website here Blox Quest-TLC you can look at the forums or you can download a quick demo of the game there.Thanks,Oh and the game is going to be really big as in 2 years or more development big.
HELP NEEDED FOR A NEW UP AND COMING RPG -PLATFORMER GAME SEND A MESSAGE IF YOUR INTERESTED
Vist me on Youtubeor on On Twitter

#42 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8040 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

What he means is to redesign the magazine and focus more on the layout.

Maybe only a little more -- but not at the expense of your primary focus: content and writing style, both of which are very good.

Many ezines focus way too much on visual style, layout, and banner graphics. Pretty to look at. Boring to read. They're full of incomplete. Sentences. Mispelings. And run-on sentences that go on forever covering three subjects in random order while interjecting a few irrelevant observations before finally ending with a redundant point that you've already forgotten because the sentence was so long you needed a nap before finishing it.

Your writing style is enjoyable to read and your choice of subject matter is satisfying. That's really all I care about. I'd hate to see you de-emphasize that for the sake of appearance.

#43 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

What he means is to redesign the magazine and focus more on the layout.

Maybe only a little more -- but not at the expense of your primary focus: content and writing style, both of which are very good.

Many ezines focus way too much on visual style, layout, and banner graphics. Pretty to look at. Boring to read. They're full of incomplete. Sentences. Mispelings. And run-on sentences that go on forever covering three subjects in random order while interjecting a few irrelevant observations before finally ending with a redundant point that you've already forgotten because the sentence was so long you needed a nap before finishing it.

Your writing style is enjoyable to read and your choice of subject matter is satisfying. That's really all I care about. I'd hate to see you de-emphasize that for the sake of appearance.

I wasn't really saying focus more on the layout. Sure, maybe give it some polish but content is really king. That's the thing to really focus on content & organization.

#44 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

One of the biggest problems we have is getting ENOUGH content each month. We are still looking for writers, sadly there's no money involved so people have a habit of saying they'll write something then nothing turning up. :(

#45 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

One of the biggest problems we have is getting ENOUGH content each month. We are still looking for writers, sadly there's no money involved so people have a habit of saying they'll write something then nothing turning up. :(

That's a common problem with indie mags, which is one reason I think you might do a lot better by doing a blog instead of a monthly mag.
Google's Blogspot is great, free and you can set it up just like a website with multiple pages, also manage multiple authors and so on.

I'm using it for my game dev site (Crapsoft) and for my Roguelike News & Development Blog (Amulet of Yendor). Links to both are in my sig.

If on the odd chance you do decide to go blog and want some help setting it up and getting the look and feel right, let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Edited by needsfoodbadly, 12 March 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#46 TheIndependentGamer

TheIndependentGamer

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

I think the general opinion within the team is to....
1. Concentrate on the 'at home developers' from now on, so everyone that uses GM, Rpg creator, DarkBasic etc.
2. Stop producing a magazine for a while and concentrate on the website and getting content.

One of the team has started doing web design, so he'll be rebuilding the website for us, but thanks for the offer of help needsfoodbadly.

Watch this space guys more news to follow.

#47 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8040 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

That's a common problem with indie mags, which is one reason I think you might do a lot better by doing a blog instead of a monthly mag.

I agree blogs can be an alternative to mags, when content is limited. I follow a few blogs but I prefer the magazine format. I like having the content presented all at once -- when the author feels he has enough. I also like having different types of content presented together: reviews, news, tutorials, etc.

The magazine format forces the author/editor to think about "balance". Not too much of one type of content. Or too little.

With blogs, the content is delivered in serial fashion and often feels disjointed. Just a matter of personal preference I guess.

@TheIndependentGamer: Regarding this issue, nice job on the Bastion and Transformice reviews. Both well written and informative. I'll definitely be taking a look at Transformice.

#48 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1090 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

I gotta agree, you could keep it in a magazine format but release one once every couple of months. That way, you definitely get enough content and have time to design it and write it out. It's still pretty good as it is, though.
Btw is it just me, or is the banner at the top of your site slightly blurry?

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 17 March 2012 - 09:17 PM.

P.S. Want somebody for testing your Jam game? Cause I'm up for it. :)

V.0.13 - GRAPHICS AND SFX UPDATE
image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#49 ratchet22

ratchet22

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

Website is being redesigned! :D

I will be able to show people soon what it looks like.. When I'm finished!
Posted Image

#50 SkullSoft

SkullSoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Feature idea:
A list of good indie game podcasts, with brief descriptions! That'd only make a page I know, but it'd be really cool.

Suggestions:

The Indie Games Podcast (best)

Roguelike Radio (niche)

The Game Engine (for developers)

There's also quite a few more I have yet to check out that are on the
''people who listen to THIS also listen to THESE'' bars for these podcasts.

And of course there's this new Game Maker podcast
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users