Upgrading to 8.1? from Gm8 Pro

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 _235559

_235559

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

I have contacted the mojang support desk still no reply =.= anyways i saw others got gamemaker 8.1 from there gamemaker 8 activation code so i tried and finnaly got my activation code from Softwrap but when i tried to upgrade i couldnt how do you even do it?

#2 norisak

norisak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

Go the the place were you buy game maker 8.1 Standard, and enter your softwarp code as the coupon.

#3 _235559

_235559

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:55 AM

how i pay with paypal it wants me to use Google Credit Card

#4 DudeGuy676

DudeGuy676

GMC Member

• 47 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

How I upgraded to 8.1 was I bought the software using my previous code as a cupon and it gave me a new code to use for 8.1. You also should make sure you contact the right company when you have a problem. Mojang has nothing to do with game maker, they don't even use game maker. they use Java to program games.

#5 zanzindorf

zanzindorf

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

I am having the same problem. I followed the instructions in the faqs page, telling me to enter the softwrap code in the coupon field, but when I go to the actual store, there is no field for entering a coupon code. There is just a google check out button that requires you to enter your credit card information. What you are suggesting worked at one point but does not work now. Two months ago, I contacted the help desk, and they said they were working on this issue. However, nothing seems to have been done about it so far.

Is there a way to enter a coupon code inside the google check out page, or is there a way to download an old version of GM?

Also, I think the original poster meant he contacted the mojo helpdesk, not mojang. I think it's just a typo.

#6 Excrutia

Excrutia

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

After waiting almost two weeks for a reply on how to upgrade, I now finally received this answer:

"Our office is closed for the Christmas holidays, the coupon upgrade is not a priority as it has been available all year. It will be operational as soon as possible."

Seriously? So ... my fault for being too slow? I'm starting to wonder if we will ever be able to upgrade at all. We were promised free lifetime upgrades; I think we should take action to either get the upgrades or get our money back.

#7 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8105 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

We were promised free lifetime upgrades

Not making excuses for YYGs responsiveness, but at no point were we ever promised free lifetime upgrades.

#8 zanzindorf

zanzindorf

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:26 AM

I'm not sure how I should take action. I felt like I have done everything in my power. I just finished writing a sincere letter relating my disappointment which I sent through the contact page on Yoyogames' main site. The idea was to inform someone in the company how I've been ignored by the help desk for three months. About an hour later I get an email from the Mojo help desk with my letter copy and pasted into a new help ticket.

The idea was to talk to someone other than the Mojo help desk, so why are they sending my letter to them? I thought that contact page was to contact the administrator of the website, or at least a secretary, someone connected to the company in some vague manor, anyone but Mojo. I can't even find a mailing address, so I can't send a physical letter. There is nothing else to do.

I don't think you can ask for a refund either, because they have a 30-day policy.

#9 guowei

guowei

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

not sure what u are missing but i got the game maker 8.1 standard... it missing some of the function like step toward and step avoid... so... ya i think the 8.1 might be a water down version of game maker 8. think they left some of the function for html5 or something.

#10 zanzindorf

zanzindorf

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

not sure what u are missing but i got the game maker 8.1 standard... it missing some of the function like step toward and step avoid... so... ya i think the 8.1 might be a water down version of game maker 8. think they left some of the function for html5 or something.

I think you're right. Screw the the new version.

GameMaker 7 and older versions (From Faqs page)

Unfortunately we no longer support older versions of GameMaker in light of constant improvements to current version and future development work on these. We apologise that we can no longer supply links to download these but we are confident that you will find GameMaker 8.1 a superior product in its place. (Hmm...)

Does this apply to 8.0, because I can't find the download link to 8.0 anywhere on the site. A Google search shows I could possibly get it from Brothersoft and Softsonic, but those sites look really sketchy. Anyone know where I can get Game Maker 8.0?

#11 bryann380

bryann380

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

After waiting almost two weeks for a reply on how to upgrade, I now finally received this answer:

"Our office is closed for the Christmas holidays, the coupon upgrade is not a priority as it has been available all year. It will be operational as soon as possible."

I submitted a ticket last Monday about this same issue and they just now responded by saying...

"This is in our FAQ - http://yoyogames.com/faqs

Our office is now currently closed over Christmas so you will get limited responses unless it is urgent."

The faq didn't help at all. It doesn't explain why there is no place to enter a purchase reference number. But seriously, why didn't they answer my ticket 6-7 days ago instead of waiting all this time just to tell me they are closed?

Anyone know where I can get Game Maker 8.0?

I uploaded it to my box.net account. Here's the link... http://www.box.com/s...amuayvr8u1n9862

Edited by bryann380, 27 January 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#12 Excrutia

Excrutia

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:24 AM

Good point ... I also see that I'm left with no way to download the software I purchased. The product download link in my GameMaker purchase confirmation email now leads to "The page you were looking for doesn't exist". So I can't upgrade to the new version OR download the old version.

Obviously the business is focused on getting new customers here. Once you've paid, you're just dead weight.

I think you're right. Screw the the new version.

GameMaker 7 and older versions (From Faqs page)

Unfortunately we no longer support older versions of GameMaker in light of constant improvements to current version and future development work on these. We apologise that we can no longer supply links to download these but we are confident that you will find GameMaker 8.1 a superior product in its place. (Hmm...)

Does this apply to 8.0, because I can't find the download link to 8.0 anywhere on the site. A Google search shows I could possibly get it from Brothersoft and Softsonic, but those sites look really sketchy. Anyone know where I can get Game Maker 8.0?

#13 BruceCollins

BruceCollins

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

Stick with 8.0 Pro. Your not missing anything but extra mouse controls and silly monthly updates. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

#14 zanzindorf

zanzindorf

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

Stick with 8.0 Pro. Your not missing anything but extra mouse controls and silly monthly updates. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I think as of Saturday, the gift codes work again in the store, so the method described in the faqs to upgrade to GM 8.1 now works again, though you still have to enter credit card information to sign up with Google checkout, but it won't actually charge you anything if you use your old license key as a gift code.

I think it was well worth the wait, this thing is frickin awesome! The room editor is much improved and I like the new script editor. That horrible glitch that crashes GM every other time you open sprite properties is gone thank goodness.

I'm glad I got this resolved, but the lack of communication between me and the company was extremely frustrating. I still haven't heard back from the help desk, but hey, its right after new years. I'll probably get a message from them this week. With the automatic updates, hopefully I never have to do that again.

#15 Excrutia

Excrutia

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hey, thanks very much for posting this. I also upgraded without issue today (after reading this). I've still heard nothing from Yoyo Games ... good thing there's a developer community here!

I think as of Saturday, the gift codes work again in the store, so the method described in the faqs to upgrade to GM 8.1 now works again, though you still have to enter credit card information to sign up with Google checkout, but it won't actually charge you anything if you use your old license key as a gift code.

I think it was well worth the wait, this thing is frickin awesome! The room editor is much improved and I like the new script editor. That horrible glitch that crashes GM every other time you open sprite properties is gone thank goodness.

I'm glad I got this resolved, but the lack of communication between me and the company was extremely frustrating. I still haven't heard back from the help desk, but hey, its right after new years. I'll probably get a message from them this week. With the automatic updates, hopefully I never have to do that again.

#16 derbartman

derbartman

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:27 AM

So - I just bought 8.0 on the 1st and discovered tonight they had changed over this whole licensing thing.
Im trying to follow these directions, but it seems like I get to the check out and it shows that I will be paying 25.19 pounds $39.40 - and my only option left is to click "Place your order now" and once Im on this check out page with my credit card info typed in my "coupon" code is no where to be seen.

So I should just do the check out?

Thanks

Hey, thanks very much for posting this. I also upgraded without issue today (after reading this). I've still heard nothing from Yoyo Games ... good thing there's a developer community here!

#17 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

Not making excuses for YYGs responsiveness, but at no point were we ever promised free lifetime upgrades.

True, but we were promised free upgrades for all 8.x versions. So, YYG has to give 8.1 for free if they bought 8.0.

I'm not sure how I should take action. I felt like I have done everything in my power. I just finished writing a sincere letter relating my disappointment which I sent through the contact page on Yoyogames' main site. The idea was to inform someone in the company how I've been ignored by the help desk for three months. About an hour later I get an email from the Mojo help desk with my letter copy and pasted into a new help ticket.

The idea was to talk to someone other than the Mojo help desk, so why are they sending my letter to them? I thought that contact page was to contact the administrator of the website, or at least a secretary, someone connected to the company in some vague manor, anyone but Mojo. I can't even find a mailing address, so I can't send a physical letter. There is nothing else to do.

If you actually read the contact us page, its only for general enquires. Specific ones are meant for the mojohelpdesk.

Proof...

If you have a specific enquiry about an aspect of YoYo Games or GameMaker, please use one of the following links:

Enquiries, feedback and support: mojohelpdesk

100% bullsh*t. 8.1 is better than 8.0.

There's plenty more in 8.1 than 8.0 than just mouse controls. Have you even tried it?

If you have issues with YYG or GM, take it up with YYG, not the GMC.

#18 zanzindorf

zanzindorf

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

So - I just bought 8.0 on the 1st and discovered tonight they had changed over this whole licensing thing.
Im trying to follow these directions, but it seems like I get to the check out and it shows that I will be paying 25.19 pounds $39.40 - and my only option left is to click "Place your order now" and once Im on this check out page with my credit card info typed in my "coupon" code is no where to be seen.

After the page that asks for your email address, you should be directed to another page (still in the YoYoGames website) that tells you your total and features a Google check out button at the bottom. On this page there should be a "Coupon Codes" area that will allow you to enter your purchase reference as a coupon code. Type in your code and press "add code," and that should give you a discount equal to the price of the upgrade. Then you proceed to Google checkout.

Hope this works!

Edited by zanzindorf, 04 January 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#19 zanzindorf

zanzindorf

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

But is that not what this thread is for, inquiries on GM8.1? I am really glad I could come to this forum for help. I do not think I would have ever gotten the upgrade without the help and input of this forum. The help desk is obviously over its head right now with the changes to the website and the new platforms they are trying to introduce, so I am not really surprise (but I am annoyed) that I am not getting any feedback from them.

But at least someone fixed the problem :D

#20 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8105 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

True, but we were promised free upgrades for all 8.x versions. So, YYG has to give 8.1 for free if they bought 8.0.

Which has nothing to do with my point or the context of it.

There's plenty more in 8.1 than 8.0 than just mouse controls. Have you even tried it?

The GMC is listed under a Support menu option for YoYoGames.com, it's not unnatural to post a message asking for help. This topic and many others, demonstrate that problems can be resolved by resources other than the HelpDesk. The YYGs HelpDesk has always been a strained resource and a sore spot for YYGs, any problem that can be resolved here can benefit the HelpDesk by resolving issues and alleviating some of the strain.

Cripes, YYGs shuts down for two weeks over Christmas, suggesting that people who have just purchased it do nothing instead of exploring other viable support resources is silly.

#21 Excrutia

Excrutia

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

I have to take issue with that statement. Simply being ignored for "just" two weeks over the holidays might have been tolerable. My nephew (13 years old) gave up trying to upgrade on his own months ago (after doing his own digging around on the site and submitting a request for help), telling me that the company had made some changes and doesn't allow owners of 8.0 (of which he was for two years) to upgrade at all since they changed their registration system. As the original purchase was a gift from me, I was annoyed with this, and looked for the solution myself. I found no information whatsoever on the site (except posting from others facing the same issue), so as a last resort I wrote to the help desk. That was on December 9 (so, four weeks, not two). I still haven't received a reply, and won't be surprised if I never do.

As zanzindorf said, I don't think I would have managed to upgrade at all without this forum (or at least without zanzindorf :thumbsup: ).

Why you would defend business practices like this, I can't understand. If the help desk can't respond within a month - even during the holidays (there were only two actual days off in there, you know) - then they obviously need to hire more help desk personnel. (I suspect money is going toward more important things, like marketing to new customers.) Anyhoo, I'm done here, and as long as 8.1 has automatic updates, I don't plan to be back. :)

Cripes, YYGs shuts down for two weeks over Christmas, suggesting that people who have just purchased it do nothing instead of exploring other viable support resources is silly.

#22 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8105 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

I have to take issue with that statement.

What statement are you taking issue with?

Because, it sure looks like you're taking issue with the statement I made, which supports your position that the GMC is, and should be a resource for all things GameMaker.

#23 Excrutia

Excrutia

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Great! Then we agree. :thumbsup: Have a happy new year.

I have to take issue with that statement.

What statement are you taking issue with?

Because, it sure looks like you're taking issue with the statement I made, which supports your position that the GMC is, and should be a resource for all things GameMaker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users