#1 Black Sheep Games

Black Sheep Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

Greetings everyone,

I am an independent video game designer who is passionate about creating new game experiences(as all of us,i think) and having fun all the way doing that. Things might seem very easy for someone outside the video game industry about the process of making video games,but we all here know how challenging it truly is,to stay focused and spend a ton of resources to create that video game that is in our minds,and entertain hundreds of people,including our friends and families,even ourselves!

So,to make the process easier,we must find new ways to save resources and most importantly TIME and MONEY.

I used to take my time,analyzing the market,and trying to figure out some good price for my games,that is appealing to the user and is getting me a respectable amount of money. As we all know,the price and generally the sales of our games,have a significant impact upon us,because some people may rely on making video games (independently) to make a living. So,to save me some time (not very much,just a couple of minutes or equally a time that I could be doing something else,more valuable), I created a simple application in Java for the purpose of managing my price and sales, that I decided to share with the community of yoyogames(exclusively),for FREE! :)

Here is how the application looks: Posted Image

Here is how the application works:

• Estimated price (in USD($)): You set the price of your future or current game.
  • Estimated sales (in units or in downloads): You set how many people are actually going to buy your game.
  • Gross revenue (in USD($)): The application will calculate and show you,what would be the gross revenue of your game according to your price and how many people bought the game.
  • Apple/Google share (in USD($)): The application will calculate and show you,how much money would Apple and Google cut from your revenue (as of now it is 30% for Apple and 30% for Google).
  • Revenue after Apple/Google share (in USD($)): The application will calculate and show you,how much money you will have after the cut from Apple and Google.
  • Publisher share (yoyo games): The application will calculate and show you,how much money your publisher(in our case,Yoyogames) will cut from your revenue(after the Apple/Google cut). Last time i checked,it was 50% cut.
  • REVENUE (both in USD($) and Euro()): The application will calculate and show you,the actual money you are going to make from your game,and can finally spend :)
PLEASE READ:

• I created this application to help me out,but I decided to share with you all. While I will keep the application FREE, I will post below a link that you can donate if you want(from $0.01 to anything you want :) ), to help me work more on this project, if the community likes it of course (because doing so will take away time from the game development),through PayPal secure payment simple form. The donation is NOT mandatory,you can donate if you want and I will greatly appreciate it(it will help fund my video game projects and it will help me stay longer on this project).
  • You can contact me to my email: blacksheepgamesab@gmail.com with suggestions to improve this application,and if many people suggest something big,or someone suggests something small, I am going to be adding it and update the download link with the new version :)
  • Please keep in mind that this application takes for granted that you will sell your games through the Android market and App store,using the NEW game maker studio with the ability to export to those platforms,and having YoyoGames as your publisher. But you can always look at the raw stats and use as you see fit.
  • If you like this project, you can suggest anything at my email and I will update the version with new features.
  • The program is copyrighted by me (Black Sheep Games),and you may not modify it without permission,though you will always get it for FREE!
  • Thanks in advance for reading this thread,i accept all the constructive feedback,and i may not write here at the forum,but probably you will see the project updated,maybe according to your suggestions!

DOWNLOAD link: https://rapidshare.c...675/Revenue.jar

DONATION link: https://www.paypal.c...d=34D6CJPC6PJB8

*** I am not associated with Yoyogames in any way, neither I intend to sell something, I am just trying to help the community,the application will remain FREE! :)

NOTE that you will need to have Java installed to run the application,you can get it here: http://www.java.com/...nload/index.jsp

So thank you all,keep working on your games and your dream will become true some day :medieval:

Edited by Black Sheep Games, 22 March 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#2 Artaex Media

Artaex Media

Artaex Media

• GMC Member
  • 1531 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

It's not a GM application, so basically it shouldn't be here!

#3 Black Sheep Games

Black Sheep Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

It's not a GM application, so basically it shouldn't be here!

Hello, it was posted on community,then the moderators moved it at the tools,and then here,so I guess it is ok :)
It is not a GM application but can help you with the games you make with GM, so it is the "Sales Techniques" category of the rules :)

Edited by Black Sheep Games, 16 December 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#4 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• Retired Staff
  • 4772 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

Sorry about the confusion. Just a little Moderation Tango.

@Artaex Media: Again, thanks for the report, but please refrain from posting only to point out the rules.

#5 Black Sheep Games

Black Sheep Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Sorry about the confusion. Just a little moderation tango.

No problem sir :)

#6 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1401 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

For kicks, I made a duplicate in Javascript, so there's no download!

Check it out here: DanRedux

#7 Black Sheep Games

Black Sheep Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

For kicks, I made a duplicate in Javascript, so there's no download!

Check it out here: DanRedux

Hello my friend,no problem with that, I checked it out and I saw that you point at my name,so thank you for that :)
It is good for people who are bored to download it (the problem with yours is that the user enters values in cents,rather than dollars,and you can't easily estimate a ~500 units sold for example,because you can only multiply the 'x1000' value),but i think the edge with the download is that it can get many more features and be way more flexible,but for now,it is nice!

Edited by Black Sheep Games, 16 December 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#8 Black Sheep Games

Black Sheep Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

In case that some people are interested, I updated the download link and it should work again now :)

#9 Black Sheep Games

Black Sheep Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Added more descriptive title for the thread and checked the download link :) Now this application can prove very useful to calculate your revenue for the games you make for the App store or Google Play :)

#10 Fireball16

Fireball16

Indie Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1013 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Download Link is broken... Shame thiss would be so useful :whistle:

#11 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1401 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

This online version still works, people:
http://www.danredux.com/rev/

#12 Black Sheep Games

Black Sheep Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Download Link is broken... Shame thiss would be so useful :whistle:

Thank you for pointing that out. Link is now updated :)

#13 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

These are calculations you wouldn't have to make very often, so I'd rather use a calculator. I can't see this being too useful to many people.

#14 Black Sheep Games

Black Sheep Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

These are calculations you wouldn't have to make very often, so I'd rather use a calculator. I can't see this being too useful to many people.

It's been useful to me, so I shared with the community, calculators are nice, but the strength of the app is that you can use it for faster results, so it's good to plan things.

#15 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

All good, I like it when people share their personal tools like this, I've found many of them very useful.

#16 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1466 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Needs updating since YoYo won't be taking 50% of profit from any games developed using GM Studio.

Would be nice to have a version too.

#17 Black Sheep Games

Black Sheep Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

Needs updating since YoYo won't be taking 50% of profit from any games developed using GM Studio.

Would be nice to have a version too.

Hello, can you please provide me a link to the source of your information? :)

#18 Skeddles

Skeddles

GMC Member

• 172 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

Cool tool, I didn't realize so much would be taken out though.

Yoyogames takes a cut? I didn't realize they published the games, I thought you just created the game and could publish it yourself? Is there some process you need to go through to get it approved? Sorry, off topic.

#19 Black Sheep Games

Black Sheep Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

YoYo Games is not publishing at the moment (as stated in the FAQ), so the app is outdated, I may update it though.

#20 SariusGames

SariusGames

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

YoYo Games is not publishing at the moment (as stated in the FAQ), so the app is outdated, I may update it though.

Hi Black Sheep Games! Do you know the current state of YoYo games as a publisher?

Thanks in advance.

\m/

#21 Chris_Devl

Chris_Devl

The Next Gabe Newell

• GMC Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

Uhh, what the hell??!?! YoYoGames takes a 50% cut of profits?!?! Wtf since when does YoYoGames take anything?? GM has always been royalty-free software.. Is this new with Studio?? Can someone please link me to an official confirmation of this?

EDIT: Oh, nvm, that was assuming YYG is publishing your game for you.. "Leaving" is what most people should be looking at.

Edited by Chris_Devl, 08 October 2012 - 12:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users