#1 japjap

japjap

GM-LINUX GM-PS4 user

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

-100% GML 100% Pure D3D
-Guaranteed to work under HTML5(once it has d3d functions), IOS, Linux or any gamemaker version.
-No DLL drama or GEX rubbish including.

This is a GM8.1.139 file. Don’t try to use this in slower lower gamemaker versions. http://www.mediafire...kd8z2/karr.gm81
Download from above link.

My plan is to add enemies, race tracks, traffic, animals and people. But if the Frames Per Second is lower then 20 then there is no point to continue. I tested this thing with more then 300 FPS. So please test this in gamemaker8.1 and tell me the truth about the FPS you get?

Even some gm mentors told me that it is not possible to move the terrain during game play. But I kept on going and this is the final result. You have evidence here that everything is possible with gamemaker

I have fixed 5 big errors in Pércsich Zoltán's sample and about hundred undefined errors. Really have to thank those who helped out.
DarKAceZ
Tepi
icuurd12b4
Mike.Dailly
ramses12
Paul23

Posted Image

During gameplay you can press 1-2 to change terrain position.
Arrow keys for car
R key for camera

Please do tell me what you think of this?

Edited by japjap, 13 December 2011 - 10:11 AM.

#2 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

I really wanted to try this but it crashed my PC again. I'm not trying to be competitive but
we really can't have something like this available to users.
I have asked the mods to close this one and I don't know if they will or not but
I have saved a copy of your post in case they do. If you are able to make this less hazardous
I will send you it in a timely fashion.

- With friendly regards,

Ean

Edited by ean, 09 December 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#3 -DarkAceZ-

-DarkAceZ-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

Could I have the exe? If you want to play it you have to buy GameMaker which I haven't done yet...

#4 japjap

japjap

GM-LINUX GM-PS4 user

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

I really wanted to try this but it crashed my PC again.

What do you mean crashed?
If you use gm8.1 with the latest update on Windows with latest directx update it works fine.
Is your anti virus blocking it?
What version gamemaker are you using?
Are you running it on Linux?
Do you have a screen shot of an error report?

I'm not trying to be competitive but we really can't have something like this available to users.

50 downloads and one complain is not a valid reason for closing this topic.

I have asked the mods to close this one and I don't know if they will or not but

Well thats just to bad. I was planning that you and me working together on the ultimate car sample.

#5 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

I really wanted to try this but it crashed my PC again.

What do you mean crashed?
If you use gm8.1 with the latest update on Windows with latest directx update it works fine.
Is your anti virus blocking it?
What version gamemaker are you using?
Are you running it on Linux?
Do you have a screen shot of an error report?

I'm not trying to be competitive but we really can't have something like this available to users.

50 downloads and one complain is not a valid reason for closing this topic.

Well thats just to bad. I was planning that you and me working together on the ultimate car sample.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but I think the reason noone has posted is because it doesn't work for them either. Now, I asked the mods to try it out first, to make sure that it crashed their PC before closing it. I am not trying to become enemies with you in fact I really want to play this, I even saved a copy of your original post in the hopes that you would fix it soon. I don't really know much about why it crashes, other than the fact it doesn't if I put if fps<10 game_end somewhere in the step event. Now if the topic gets locked for a few days it's not the end of the world is it? As soon as you fix it you can re-open it again, I just don't think it's safe for something this potentially hazardous to be floating around waiting to be downloaded. I am open to the possibility that it is simply incompatible with my PC, which is why I asked the mods to test it themselves, but if it's not, don't you think it's a good idea to fix it?

Edited by ean, 11 December 2011 - 03:36 PM.

#6 jsorgeagames

jsorgeagames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 710 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

I'm not trying to be mean here, but I think the reason noone has posted is because it doesn't work for them either.

This worked fine on my laptop in GM8.1.139, running Windows 7 64-bit.

japjap, I had a solid 20 fps with the room speed at 20. I got around 243 fps when I set the room speed to 9999. I have an Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00 GHz, so for others it may not be quite as fast, but they shouldn't have any problem running at 20 fps.

Edited by jsorgeagames, 11 December 2011 - 05:38 PM.

#7 japjap

japjap

GM-LINUX GM-PS4 user

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

I'm not trying to be mean here, but I think the reason noone has posted is because it doesn't work for them either.

japjap, I had a solid 20 fps with the room speed at 20. I got around 243 fps when I set the room speed to 9999. I have an Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00 GHz, so for others it may not be quite as fast, but they shouldn't have any problem running at 20 fps.

Thank you. 243 on a super fast computer then on a 10 year old pc should certainly be able to handle 20FPS.
You did encourage me to continue this project.

ean@ I believe that you are either running it on Linux or an old version of GM. Upgrade your licence to gm8.1 latest update and run it on XP, VISTA or 7. A frame rate below 10 is not possible. I dont want to be mean but if you are still using a stone age computer from the 90's you better buy a new one.

edit: ean@I really looked forward in working together with you on a real cool car sample. But now with this attitude you broke my hearth. And what did you achieve by falsely accusing my sample to be hazardous?

Edited by japjap, 11 December 2011 - 06:51 PM.

#8 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3955 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

I think you need to revise your topic description.

I don't know how you did this, but your example is extremely incompatible with GameMaker 8.0 (versus perfectly fine behaviour in 8.1).
Attempting to run a version compiled by 8.0 causes the game either to (seemingly, depending on system):
* Hang up entire system for 2..3 minutes on room start (the only responsible control remaining is mouse)
* Crash the video driver (probably resulting in BSOD if OS is earlier than Windows Vista)
So, yeah, it would be useful to edit topic heading with warning that example may be unstable on GameMaker versions prior to 8.1.
Probably line 'Guaranteed to work under ...' should be removed for now, because HTML5 does not yet have d3d_ commands (so you cannot tell if it'll work without modifications), and GameMaker:Studio is not out yet either.

Independant of startup, afterwards game runs fine though.
The only mis-behaviours that I have seen were somewhat strange Z snapping & rotations (no idea how would one fix that though) and this thing:
Posted Image

A nice example otherwise. Looking forward games made with it.

#9 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thank you. 243 on a super fast computer then on a 10 year old pc should certainly be able to handle 20FPS.
You did encourage me to continue this project.

ean@ I believe that you are either running it on Linux or an old version of GM. Upgrade your licence to gm8.1 latest update and run it on XP, VISTA or 7. A frame rate below 10 is not possible. I dont want to be mean but if you are still using a stone age computer from the 90's you better buy a new one.

edit: ean@I really looked forward in working together with you on a real cool car sample. But now with this attitude you broke my hearth. And what did you achieve by falsely accusing my sample to be hazardous?

Nope, although my computer specs are high physically it is not the best of shape. Still, I haven't encountered a GM file that does this. When closing your game (if I am fortunate enough to close before the point of no return) it causes a severe memory leak and system instability. I am using Vista and the latest stable GM, 8.1.1.39.

Again, I am not an idiot, in my message to the moderators I asked them to make sure and double check that the file was faulty. Do you really think it would be morally right to just let a topic go by without posting some kind of warning to others that it might be dangerous? Especially if you didn't seem to respond to my earlier post in a similar topic of yours where the same thing happened?

Some one is taking this a little too serious :no: I would still like to work together.

Edited by ean, 11 December 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#10 Glance

Glance

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Not sure if it's the problem, but I found that the character range in fnt_1 is "67108896 till 127". I don't know if it's the case for the original gm81 file because I used a converter to convert it to 8.0.
When I opened the font editor and then closed it, the 67108896 was automatically changed to 255 and I was able to run this with the older version of game maker.

By the way, I can't help but feel like I've seen this example somewhere else. But the car was yellow and the terrain looked a bit different.

EDIT: nvm about the me seeing this someplace else. I just realized that you said you used Pércsich.hu's example.

Edited by Glance, 12 December 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#11 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

Not sure if it's the problem, but I found that the character range in fnt_1 is "67108896 till 127". I don't know if it's the case for the original gm81 file because I used a converter to convert it to 8.0.
When I opened the font editor and then closed it, the 67108896 was automatically changed to 255 and I was able to run this with the older version of game maker.

By the way, I can't help but feel like I've seen this example somewhere else. But the car was yellow and the terrain looked a bit different.

EDIT: nvm about the me seeing this someplace else. I just realized that you said you used Pércsich.hu's example.

Nope the font range is normal on my end. I'm going to delete stuff and try to isolate the problem.

#12 japjap

japjap

GM-LINUX GM-PS4 user

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

Yellowafterlife@ thanks for the problem report I am working on the z report.
Ean@ GLANCE@ If you will report problems I will do my best to fix them unless they accrue in lower version of GM.

#13 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Here's what happens: If you open the default karr.gm8 it takes about 1:30 seconds to load. During this time, if you click on the window, it will freeze the game, and cause a memory leak, since GM was not able to destroy the ds_grid. I'm not 100% of why this happens, but my computer was noticeably permanently slower after running karr.gm8 (after it crashed.) Now, to avoid this, simply wait until it loads, and close it normally, which will still freeze the game for approximately 30 seconds, but system memory will return to normal.

I set global.zlist = ds_grid_create(floor(room_width/20),floor(room_height/20));
and the car never fell through the terrain...I don't know why you set the terrain to 5 times larger.

Now that I've figured this out, please update karr.gm8 with the improved global.zlist code (/20, instead of 4). I've also told the mods not to close the topic, since there is no need to.

There are some problems. The car rotations don't update on time which results in a non-smooth transition while climbing hills. Also, something is wrong with the wheel transformations:

Posted Image

Also, some parts of the car go through the terrain:

Posted Image

Also, posting in this topic gives me ads about Knights. Also, lol @ the music.

Edited by ean, 13 December 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#14 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Member
  • 4772 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

OK, I've checked this out and it works as advertised. However, it has some very real problems which are certainly affecting some of those who try it.

At start-up it requires several seconds of full CPU utilization to prepare the memory intensive terrain data. I think the example should include a warning or progress bar to let the user know what is going on during this step. The first time I tried it, I must have waited at least 30 seconds for it to finish starting.

Once the example is underway it can run very quickly. The on-screen FPS display is a little misleading. One might think it is running at only 20 FPS in a 30 FPS room. The room speed is actually set at 20 and the example is running full speed. I was able to get up to 400 FPS on a 2GHz CPU with a GPU from the stone age.

The real problem is the mind-boggling memory consumption. 1.7GB of memory paging is enough to bring any system to its knees.

Posted Image

The MP3 background music does not help matters. Between the terrain setup, memory paging, the MP3 process, and possible active virus scanning, the CPU is simply being asked to do too much at start-up.

This could be a very nice example if simplified a bit and given some more polished. As it is, it is still useful and illustrates some of the perils of memory and data management that GameMaker can present.

EDIT:
Apologies for repeating much of what has already been said. This reply was prepared well in advance of an opportunity to post it.

Edited by xot, 13 December 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#15 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

EDIT:
Apologies for repeating much of what has already been said. This reply was prepared well in advance of an opportunity to post it.
[/quote]

Apology accepted :happy:

#16 japjap

japjap

GM-LINUX GM-PS4 user

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Ean@ thanks again. You understand that I was not aware that it would freeze for 30 on slower machines. I am using a core 2 duo and it only takes 3 seconds to load the game.
The bigger the terrain the better it looks so I like it bigger. But if it slows down older computers I will make it smaller unless Russell comes up with a better update of GM8.

XOT@ thank you. I will try to solve all the things you mentioned. I do not know much about music files. But if MP3 format is the problem which format do you recommend?

#17 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Ean@ thanks again. You understand that I was not aware that it would freeze for 30 on slower machines. I am using a core 2 duo and it only takes 3 seconds to load the game.
The bigger the terrain the better it looks so I like it bigger. But if it slows down older computers I will make it smaller unless Russell comes up with a better update of GM8.

XOT@ thank you. I will try to solve all the things you mentioned. I do not know much about music files. But if MP3 format is the problem which format do you recommend?

That's the thing, you don't have to make the terrain smaller. I don't know why you put /4 instead of /20 because it functions exactly the same, I drove to the edge of the terrain with the /20 code and I still collided with it. Is there some portion of terrain not being drawn but you decided to keep it?

Edited by ean, 13 December 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#18 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Member
  • 4772 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

The main problem with MP3 files is that they are not natively supported by GM. That means GM needs to start an external process in order to play them. Even worse, if the user doesn't have a media player installed that can play MP3s, nothing will be heard (although this is unlikely).

GM for Windows is designed to play MIDI files and uncompressed WAV files. A one-minute WAV file could be quite large. A MIDI file might be more difficult to find, and certainly would not sound like the original, but it is by far the smallest useful file size. For an example like this, I'm not convinced music is needed at all ... not to mention the copyright infringement problem that violates our rules here.

#19 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:58 AM

Just saying, ean, why didn't you just say what you're system specifications are instead of saving it uses a lot of resources and crashes?

Plus, it was a stupid idea to tell the mods to close the topic just because you suffered.

#20 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Just saying, ean, why didn't you just say what you're system specifications are instead of saving it uses a lot of resources and crashes?

Plus, it was a stupid idea to tell the mods to close the topic just because you suffered.

My hardware isn't that bad, I have a dual core processor just like the OP and 6000 series GeForce video processor. I've never encountered a GM file that took over a minute to load, so naturally I thought it crashed, which it actually did when I tried to close the window. My entire computer froze permanently, I don't know how more specific that could be. Also, I posted in another of his topics which did the same thing and he didn't reply to my post at all, so I figured it was best to warn the mods about it. As a fail safe, I asked the mods to make sure it crashed their computers before they closed the topic. It's up to the OP to make sure his files work, and I'm sure there are computers much worse than mine. I could care less if a GM game crashes but when it affects my computer that's a different story. Now can you quit b*tching about me taking the only sensible course of action?

Edited by ean, 15 December 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#21 -DarkAceZ-

-DarkAceZ-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

O.o Woah, calm down...

Anyway, I'm going to try this game in LateralGm, and see how it runs, but I'm thinking it won't...

#22 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:59 AM

My hardware isn't that bad, I have a dual core processor just like the OP and 6000 series GeForce video processor. I've never encountered a GM file that took over a minute to load, so naturally I thought it crashed, which it actually did when I tried to close the window. My entire computer froze permanently, I don't know how more specific that could be. Also, I posted in another of his topics which did the same thing and he didn't reply to my post at all, so I figured it was best to warn the mods about it. As a fail safe, I asked the mods to make sure it crashed their computers before they closed the topic. It's up to the OP to make sure his files work, and I'm sure there are computers much worse than mine. I could care less if a GM game crashes but when it affects my computer that's a different story. Now can you quit b*tching about me taking the only sensible course of action?

If you have hardly any RAM, how good your CPU and GPU is neither here nor there.

What you did wasn't the only sensible option. System-specific issues are common. Someone can have the same specs as you and the game would run fine. You should have told the mods to check the file first.

In case you argue about that, your post stated...

I really wanted to try this but it crashed my PC again. I'm not trying to be competitive but
we really can't have something like this available to users.
I have saved a copy of your post in case they do. If you are able to make this less hazardous
I will send you it in a timely fashion.

Effectively, you've said "it didn't work for me, so it can't possibly work for anyone else, so the mods should close it". It wasn't until later that you told them to check it first.

Quit acting like your opinion is worth more than anyone else's. Yes, the file is heavy on resources, but that is not to say it's "useless". Look inside the file for possible reasons to the problem and help solve it, as opposed to be a competitive cry baby.

#23 Gamer3D

Gamer3D

Human* me = this;

• GMC Member
  • 1819 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

If you have hardly any RAM, how good your CPU and GPU is neither here nor there.

The game takes about 2 gigabytes of memory. That's more than Windows uses, and brings total memory usage to about 2.5 gigabytes, just to run a small example. It's nowhere near a reasonable amount.

Quit acting like your opinion is worth more than anyone else's. Yes, the file is heavy on resources, but that is not to say it's "useless". Look inside the file for possible reasons to the problem and help solve it, as opposed to be a competitive cry baby.

I agree with this point though.

EDIT: Despite the memory usage, still one of the better GM car examples.
EDIT 2: Nevermind. Too many objects to be useful. I don't even know where to start looking for the startup code.
EDIT 3: My suggestions for fixing this abomination:
  • Group your objects. You may not be sufficiently skilled to do this without a ton of objects. Creating intelligent subgroups for your objects will make it much easier to find the ones desired. Of course, if you can do this with just a couple objects and generalized code, that would be better.
  • Indent your code. It is really annoying to try to read unindented code.
  • Comment your code blocks. A single line at the top of the code, starting with ///, will allow you to set the text displayed by the drag-and-drop editor.
  • Combine objects. You shouldn't have separate objects for obj_karr, draw_car, and mod_car. There are separated events for a reason.
  • Clean up memory you're done using. If you don't free the memory, you get memory leaks, which eventually lead to crashes no matter how much memory you have.
  • If you use a semicolon ';', it's time to start a new line.
  • Don't load both terrains at startup. I know you want to say that you moved the terrain in realtime, but you only swap between terrains, which is trivial (Moving terrain implies a smooth movement, which requires either drawing dynamically or re-building the model dynamically, which is slow. That is why people told you it can't be done). It also increases the time to start the game.
  • return isn't a function, so "return(a);" is the same as "return a;". This is more of an annoyance though.
  • PUT YOUR CODE WHERE IT MAKES SENSE. The orthographic projection object has a "global.carcolor = c_white" line. That is nowhere near where it should be.

Edited by Gamer3D, 20 December 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#24 ShubhamBansod

ShubhamBansod

͡º ͜ʖ ͡º

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:29 AM

NICE EXAMPLE........CAN YOU ALSO DO THAT WITH A BIKE AND MAKE A PLAYER WHICH WILL SWITCH TO DIFFRENT CARS AND BIKE WHEN PRESSING 'F' KEY......LIKE GTA..... :sweat:

#25 japjap

japjap

GM-LINUX GM-PS4 user

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

O.o Woah, calm down...

Yes guys calm down. You don’t have to shout. We are all near by.

ean@ I agree with this because of you I almost got banned. But thanks to XOT who cleared out all unevenness I am still here.

NICE EXAMPLE........CAN YOU ALSO DO THAT WITH A BIKE AND MAKE A PLAYER WHICH WILL SWITCH TO DIFFRENT CARS AND BIKE WHEN PRESSING 'F' KEY......LIKE GTA..... :sweat:

GTA V style is very simple make the windows of the car transparent. Add seats in the body. + You need 9 seperate model parts of the car. Windscreen, Leftdoor window, rightdoor window, Left door, Rightdoor, Boot and Bonet, front and rear bumber. Then the guy model in 7 different movements.

Yes I can do that. But not in a short time. Espeshialy when some guys are trying to run this sample on ultra slow computers press the Report button. More trouble with YOYO staff for me?

However I will make the terrain smaller and not use MP3 files in the upcomming update. Hopefully also a better version of GM8 is out. Which will speed up things. Dont expect that to be done before the and of february. For now I am really busy experimenting with realistic human models.

Gamer3D@ thanks for the sugesstions and complains.

This project is in beta stage and is open to suggestion and complains.

#26 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

I did not ask the mods to ban you so I don't know what that's all about.

#27 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Is there a .gmk version?

Thanks,

Zesterer

#28 Himanshu

Himanshu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

invalid or deleted file :mad:

#29 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

invalid or deleted file :mad:

<removed>
It says version3. Looks the same as screenshot

Does anyone have other versions?

Sorry, I know you have good intentions, but it's up to the OT to share&host the file.

And as it's dead, I'm going to close this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users