#1 scotay

scotay

YoYo Games Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 147 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

http://yoyogames.com/news/65

We’ve been watching closely the development of the Raspberry Pi which is tipped to capture the imaginations of a new generation with an “ultra-low-cost” computer the size of a credit card.

Posted Image
(we like the rather fetching Raspberry Pi stickers we got today)

The British-designed Pi is being heralded as the saviour of modern IT education in UK classrooms, one that will raise a new generation – equipping youngsters with the skills they need to survive in world hooked on web connected technologies. The Raspberry Pi's engineers want to give kids (and schools) some cheap and educational kit that won't break or turn into a nightmare to maintain.

So as a Friday teaser, here’s a sneak preview of what Scott has been working on: GameMaker running on a PC Linux (Fedora 15) under LXDE window manager.

Posted Image

Pretty cool huh!

#2 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Whoa awesome stuff! I mentioned this before, bringing GM to linux wouldn't make for a huge profit - what it will do is bring GameMaker and game development in general to kids who wouldn't be able to afford a computer in the first place. My parents were poor when I was a kid and the only thing I had was a decode old computer with a 20 lb monitor with a screen the size of 2 gameboys that could barely handle running BASIC in DOS.

Not only is it cheap, but for its size its sure packs a hellova punch - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=e_mDuJuvZjI

Edited by OMGCarlos, 02 December 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#3 land of games

land of games

han solos friend

• GMC Member
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:55 AM

dont know what anybody else thinks but that microcontroller unit in the bottom left corner looks like an axon 1 mcu.

#4 The_Puzzle

The_Puzzle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:51 AM

This sounds great! Can't wait to see what comes out of this.

#5 Rusky

Rusky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2492 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:56 AM

dont know what anybody else thinks but that microcontroller unit in the bottom left corner looks like an axon 1 mcu.

That microcontroller unit in the bottom left corner is a Raspberry Pi.

#6 land of games

land of games

han solos friend

• GMC Member
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

oh yeah. now I feel stupid. sorry :wallbash:

#7 twelveways

twelveways

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1383 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Rubbish name, great product.

#8 pedrosorio

pedrosorio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:11 AM

Now this got me excited. GM running on Linux... dream :tongue:

#9 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 2914 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

Beyond extremely happy right now. :D

That computer sounds really interesting, I think I will have to keep an eye on it. And of course, the main reason I am happy is the whole GM <-> Linux idea.

#10 Dr. Spankenstein

Dr. Spankenstein

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

Just registered to say this is fantastic news. I'll be buying/registering a copy for the Rasberry Pi should this project come into fruition. Thanks for all the hard work spent in getting this far. :)

#11 xeven

xeven

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

Please! I'm a huge Linux fan/user and I've been looking forward to getting a RasPi for a while now, so I can't wait for this!

#12 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• Retired Staff
  • 15777 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

25$ for the power of a PC that cost 6000$ in 2000. and I'm pretty sure it's about the same power as a 500$ iPad

#13 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

Forgive me for asking, but whom is this mysterious Scott you speak of?

#14 scottdunbar190888

scottdunbar190888

GMC Member

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

I am! Hello, I'm a fairly new member of the YoYo team. While Russell and Mike and the other members of the core tech concentrate on GameMaker Studio and HTML5 I am doing the extra bits and pieces that need doing.

Also you are forgiven.

#15 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

I am! Hello, I'm a fairly new member of the YoYo team. While Russell and Mike and the other members of the core tech concentrate on GameMaker Studio and HTML5 I am doing the extra bits and pieces that need doing.

Also you are forgiven.

Ok cool, I thought it was the OP talking in third person, which is very confusing. :biggrin:

#16 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

YAY! I think I might buy a R-PI just for fun. Heck its only $25.

#17 Sir

Sir

Jedi Poodoo

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

I am so gunna buy the B model. Then Im gunna get GM on it. why not? another computer for 35$? Thats cheaper then the video card i bought for my main machine!

#18 ean

ean

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

I just skimmed through the video, but it seems you plug it in to a monitor? Does it come with a monitor? That would be hard too see though.

#19 scottdunbar190888

scottdunbar190888

GMC Member

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

I just skimmed through the video, but it seems you plug it in to a monitor? Does it come with a monitor? That would be hard too see though.

You can plug it into anything that has an HDMI port on it. you also have the option of a composite cable, but no, it doesn't come with a monitor. you can also just solder your own monitor/screen whatever and make a cheap linux tablet.

#20 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7150 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

I just skimmed through the video, but it seems you plug it in to a monitor? Does it come with a monitor?

For $25... you're asking if a monitor is included? :whistle:

Other than novelty value, I'm not sure why people would want one of these (unless it's their only option for buying a computer). But they do look fun. :smile: And I'm a sucker for neat tech gear.

#21 Rusky

Rusky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2492 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:27 AM

They'd be really great for DIY projects- someone already mentioned building a tablet. Think of it as a cheap alternative to Arduino, sort of. The fact that it can run GM just makes a lot of those projects cooler. :)

#22 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC Member
  • 1563 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:38 AM

Porting GM to Linux will be appreciated by many Linux fans here I'm sure. But to base a product around the Raspberry Pi, something I'd happily bet will end up as nothing more than a piece of hobbyist gear for techies and nerds, is not so hot.

The Pi is going to be a fad. As I wrote in a blog post, it'll be like netbooks; an awesome novelty at first and everybody wants one, but then suddenly people get bored of them and sales plummet to doom while something else takes over.

The Raspberry Pi is no general consumer product, that is for sure. You won't see technologically inept end users considering this device... I'd be surprised if most people who aren't hardcore into their gadgets ever even hear about this device.

I look forward to seeing more Linux progress though. I run OpenSuse on a partition so it'd be pretty fun to play around with GM on it.

#23 Rusky

Rusky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2492 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

Thus, YoYo's attitude toward the Linux port. They're personally excited about the Pi but they're only expending the effort to get the Lazarus version running. Hopefully they'll find more motivation in the future though- maybe Linux-based game servers.

#24 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC Member
  • 1563 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:08 AM

Thus, YoYo's attitude toward the Linux port. They're personally excited about the Pi but they're only expending the effort to get the Lazarus version running. Hopefully they'll find more motivation in the future though- maybe Linux-based game servers.

Yeah, Lazarus is gross. It was a deal breaker for GM Mac for me.

Do it right and do it once please! :yes:

#25 twelveways

twelveways

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1383 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

Porting GM to Linux will be appreciated by many Linux fans here I'm sure. But to base a product around the Raspberry Pi, something I'd happily bet will end up as nothing more than a piece of hobbyist gear for techies and nerds, is not so hot.

The Pi is going to be a fad. As I wrote in a blog post, it'll be like netbooks; an awesome novelty at first and everybody wants one, but then suddenly people get bored of them and sales plummet to doom while something else takes over.

The Raspberry Pi is no general consumer product, that is for sure. You won't see technologically inept end users considering this device... I'd be surprised if most people who aren't hardcore into their gadgets ever even hear about this device.

I look forward to seeing more Linux progress though. I run OpenSuse on a partition so it'd be pretty fun to play around with GM on it.

Im pretty sure the market is mainly schools, community projects and developing societies, no one expects it to replace quad core gaming rigs.

#26 scottdunbar190888

scottdunbar190888

GMC Member

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

Other than novelty value, I'm not sure why people would want one of these (unless it's their only option for buying a computer). But they do look fun. :smile: And I'm a sucker for neat tech gear.

Yeah for tech geeks (like me) its a shiny new toy. But for kids and teenagers its a sweet, cheap learning tool if they are interested in learning computer science skills. I know that up here in sunny Scotland and certainly down south High schools do not have any sort of teaching for programming, its all just you will become a valued member of society if you can fill in an Excell sheet", "But Miss, what if the company I work for uses ANY OTHER software than micro$oft?", "don't be silly little Timmy, ALL companies use Microsoft".

But i digress (and i also think i disliked my highschool ICT teacher), as I was saying, the Raspberry-Pi is looking good to get integrated into schools in the UK, which means kids will learn how computers and software actually works, which will make them more capable of adapting to any software or not having to rely on an "IT Department". and even if it doesnt make it into schools its cheap enough that the kids who want to learn but can't afford to (me when i was growing up, though I did use my brothers Atari ST 520, 1 MB of RAM :cool: -oh yeah- and started learning BASIC) then can now get their hands dirty for like a months pocket money and not worry too much about breaking the kit.

also it runs Quake 3

#27 -DarkAceZ-

-DarkAceZ-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:40 AM

That goes without saying.

#28 nujuat

nujuat

Alex Tritt Games

• GMC Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

I know that up here in sunny Scotland and certainly down south High schools do not have any sort of teaching for programming, its all just you will become a valued member of society if you can fill in an Excell sheet", "But Miss, what if the company I work for uses ANY OTHER software than micro$oft?", "don't be silly little Timmy, ALL companies use Microsoft".

So true!
I was happy when we finally moved onto Adobe last year. I was even happier when we got to chose the GAMEMAKER elective! That was cool. I made angry birds!

#29 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1136 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

That goes without saying.

I've been waiting for GameMaker on Linux for years now. Finally! I'll be able to drop Windows almost completely now. (Anxiously anticipating a full and stable linux version of GameMaker! You da man, Scott!)

The "Raspberry Pi" looks neat, too. Especially at such a low price. Why didn't they just call it the "Pi"??? Marketing is overthinking things again. :P

• Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Scot's been making good progress, so much so - it's now running ON a Raspberry Pi!

Posted Image

How cool is THAT!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users