#31 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

:cough: World 666 :cough: :P

Yeah, I'll do a World 666 walkthrough as well, don't worry. I'm not sure when, though; I want to record a video reviewing the Blendy Pens commercial this week before I get my wisdom teeth taken out on Thursday, then I'll probably record the World 666 walkthrough after I've recovered from the surgery (shouldn't take too long as I've only got 3, one on the bottom and two on the top). So basically, I'm looking at a couple weeks before the World 666 walkthrough.

Oh, regarding the scores: great World 666 score, first off (I don't think I've gotten that good of a score before; then again, I haven't figured out how to shoot the flag for 5000 points either, I always get at most 800). And maybe you're right about Survival mode, because I made it to like World 5 before I died, but I haven't done much in Adventure mode, so you should be able to beat my score there easily. ;)

Edited by onpon4, 23 January 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#32 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

:cough: World 666 :cough: :P

Yeah, I'll do a World 666 walkthrough as well, don't worry. I'm not sure when, though; I want to record a video reviewing the Blendy Pens commercial this week before I get my wisdom teeth taken out on Thursday, then I'll probably record the World 666 walkthrough after I've recovered from the surgery (shouldn't take too long as I've only got 3, one on the bottom and two on the top). So basically, I'm looking at a couple weeks before the World 666 walkthrough.

Posted Image

Oh, regarding the scores: great World 666 score, first off (I don't think I've gotten that good of a score before; then again, I haven't figured out how to shoot the flag for 5000 points either, I always get at most 800). And maybe you're right about Survival mode, because I made it to like World 5 before I died, but I haven't done much in Adventure mode, so you should be able to beat my score there easily. ;)

:ahem:
I just pummelled your Survival score!

You have got your work cut out for you. Look at the score and then open this spoiler:
Spoiler

#33 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

You have got your work cut out for you. Look at the score and then open this spoiler:

Spoiler

Heheh, you're full of surprises. ;)

#34 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2775 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Spoiler

Heheh, you're full of surprises. ;)

Your game is awesome!

Only have 1 thing to say:

The high-score crashes the game some times, i would suggest you to change to GMech, its a great program that lets you do a lot of things check out the topic, your going to love GMech :P

edit: things you can do with GMech:

highscore tables, achievements, online chat systems into their games and have a .ini system online for all the user's

Edited by BlueDebel, 23 January 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#35 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yet another option is Clockwork. (it's nice and simple)

Edited by Docopoper, 23 January 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#36 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

For what it's worth, Docopoper, I just beat your high score on Survival. I got exactly as far as you.

The high-score crashes the game some times, i would suggest you to change to GMech, its a great program that lets you do a lot of things check out the topic, your going to love GMech :P

edit: things you can do with GMech:

highscore tables, achievements, online chat systems into their games and have a .ini system online for all the user's

Are you sure it crashes, or does it just become unresponsive? It's normal for it to freeze for a good 10-20 seconds while the lists are synchronized. I should probably make a 1.1.1 release adding a progress bar just to make it more apparent.

As for GMech, well, it took me a while to implement online scores the way I wanted to with gmhighscores.com, so I really don't feel like doing it again with another one. If you like, feel free to make the change and I'll be happy to take it, but gmhighscores.com seems fine for my purposes currently.

Yet another option is Clockwork. (it's nice and simple)

I already considered that (gmhighscores.com links to it), but it won't work IIRC because it would only allow me to use one high score in a game (gmhighscores is intended to be like that too, but it was easy to include 3 lists with it). In any case, I don't think a change is necessary, like I said. gmhighscores gave me headaches (mostly because it never causes errors, it just locks up the game), but I've overcome them now and I don't want more of them. ;)

#37 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Clockwork uses a tag system - you tag each score and can filter your search to make multiple lists, you can also record statistics like the game's play count.
And to wrap it all up - it's easier to use than GMH.

EDIT: Heheh, you're full of surprises. ;)

Edited by Docopoper, 23 January 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#38 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

Well, I'm serious when I say I really don't want to start all over again implementing online high scores. GMH is fine for the purposes of BLS, I think. Like I said, BLS is open source, so feel free to make the change and I'll gladly include it (as long as the local lists are intact and it doesn't break the game, and the download size remains no higher than 5 MB).

Anyway, I just finished and uploaded version 1.1.1, which adds a progress bar to the synchronization process.

EDIT: Well, Looks like I beat your World 666 high score, Docopoper. The new high score is:

Spoiler

This isn't pure skill; there's a particular technique in getting this score. Can you get a similar or even higher score? :cool:

EDIT 2: Another small update, 1.1.2, makes the synching progress bar look much nicer and causes you to be sent to the high score list whenever you win or lose (previously, it only sent you there if you actually got a high score, and only for Adventure and Survival modes).

Edited by onpon4, 24 January 2012 - 04:00 AM.

#39 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

How the hell did you manage to get that score? I tried over and over... Do you need to grind enemies or something? - because I've just been going fast.

Also - have you tried using io_handle() while synchronising - so that windows knows the game is still running?

Edited by Docopoper, 24 January 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#40 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Also - have you tried using window_handle() while synchronising - so that windows knows the game is still running?

Heh, I was just releasing a bugfix release related to that. No, not window_handle (didn't know of that one), but I added in "sleep(1)" after each synchronization step (i.e. whenever the progress bar increases, which happens 60 times). That makes the OS panic a lot less (though it'll still briefly panic while the DLL is doing its thing if you leave the window, something I can't control unfortunately). But I looked up window_handle in the docs, it looks like it's supposed to return something that's passed onto DLLs, no mention of it giving control to the OS or anything like that?

The bugfix release (1.1.3) also fixes a bug where your save file could be deleted when you played Survival mode. Therefore, everyone should definitely download this release. Otherwise, you, too, could have to start all over again from the beginning.

As for the score, no grinding. I actually tried that, but the only things you can grind with are bullet bills, and that's pretty tough to do without taking damage while still getting a good amount of points (i.e. more than the same time bonus would give you). The biggest obstacle was the randomness of the bullet bills firing, so trying to grind them is really just chance. But you may be able to beat my high score with this next bugfix release, because 1-up mushrooms now earn 5000 points in World 666 (something they already did in Survival mode; the point in that is 1-up mushrooms are otherwise completely meaningless in World 666 and Survival mode).

Edited by onpon4, 15 February 2012 - 07:34 AM.

#41 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

Also - have you tried using window_handle() while synchronising - so that windows knows the game is still running?

Heh, I was just releasing a bugfix release related to that. No, not window_handle (didn't know of that one), but I added in "sleep(1)" after each synchronization step (i.e. whenever the progress bar increases, which happens 60 times). That makes the OS panic a lot less (though it'll still briefly panic while the DLL is doing its thing if you leave the window, something I can't control unfortunately). But I looked up window_handle in the docs, it looks like it's supposed to return something that's passed onto DLLs, no mention of it giving control to the OS or anything like that?

Whoops, sorry - I meant io_handle(). Posted Image

The bugfix release (1.1.3) also fixes a bug where your save file could be deleted when you played Survival mode. Therefore, everyone should definitely download this release. Otherwise, you, too, could have to start all over again from the beginning.

As for the score, no grinding. I actually tried that, but the only things you can grind with are bullet bills, and that's pretty tough to do without taking damage while still getting a good amount of points (i.e. more than the same time bonus would give you). The biggest obstacle was the randomness of the bullet bills firing, so trying to grind them is really just chance. (Well, OK, I lied. Actually, you'll get a bit of benefit as long as it takes you less than 4 games seconds to do it, so you could hypothetically bounce onto the cannon, wait a couple seconds to ensure a bullet, and jump away to stomp another bullet, and repeat. But honestly, that would be more trouble than it's worth.) But you may be able to beat my high score with this next bugfix release, because 1-up mushrooms now earn 5000 points in World 666 (something they already did in Survival mode; the point in that is 1-up mushrooms are otherwise completely meaningless in World 666 and Survival mode).

That's great! - That will be interesting, I think there are 2 in the level. does getting 100 coins give you extra score?

#42 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Whoops, sorry - I meant io_handle(). Posted Image

Ah, I see. I guess I'll add that in, but it seems it would have the same effect as the current "sleep(1)" in terms of the OS panicking.

does getting 100 coins give you extra score?

No, but coins don't need this treatment like 1-up mushrooms do (because they already give a respectable amount of points anyway; collecting 100 coins ends up giving you 10000 points collectively, because each coin earns you 100 points).

#43 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

Ah, I see. I guess I'll add that in, but it seems it would have the same effect as the current "sleep(1)" in terms of the OS panicking.

yeh, but it would be 1 millisecond faster. Posted Image

#44 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

yeh, but it would be 1 millisecond faster. Posted Image

Actually, 60 milliseconds (i.e. 3/50 of a second), but that's assuming that io_handle takes no time at all (or an amount of time insignificant compared to a millisecond). Either way, the difference is imperceptible to humans, so I'll change it for the next release, but not release it until there's some other major change (well, might as well say "if", since it's not guaranteed that further bugfix releases will be needed, though I would like to somehow add in a "boss rush" mode eventually as a final enhancement, probably an easter egg). My laptop cooler recently stopped being useful, so my old laptop, where I have GM8 Pro/GM8.1 Standard, overheats REALLY quickly, meaning I can only use it to create the executable at the end. A pain in the riding animal.

#45 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

wait, why 60 milliseconds? The sleep function's argument is measured in milliseconds.

And the io_handle() function doesn't have to take no time at all for it to be 1 ms faster - if one assumes that the sleep function simply calls io_handle() after it's done.

#46 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

wait, why 60 milliseconds? The sleep function's argument is measured in milliseconds.

Because it's called a total of 60 times.

EDIT: I beat my World 666 score (could have been better; I believe the max is somewhere around 55,000 if you do it perfectly). I've also uploaded a new version of 1.1.3 (file version 1.1.3.1) that makes the synching progress bar look nicer and changes those "sleep(1)"s to "io_handle()"s (which actually means it's now possible to take screenshots with the Print Screen key during that time; it wasn't before). So, other than the very slight increase in synching speed, it's not particularly worth re-downloading (unless for some reason you want to take a screenshot of the synching progress bar... weirdo).

EDIT 2: I finally beat survival mode a bit ago. That was a tough feat.

Edited by onpon4, 06 February 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#47 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

Wow, your good quality video is still processing?!!

#48 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Last time I checked, yes. What's funny is the "good" quality video isn't that much better than the low quality version. It's 256x224 (BLS's internal resolution) at 60 FPS. The "low" quality version just adds some lossy compression to make it smaller (IIRC). Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if YouTube's compression heavily blurs the difference between the two.

I tend to think YouTube's software just messed up somewhere and stopped processing or something, but I think I'll just leave the normal-quality video there as a testament to how 1337 this game is. :P

Edited by onpon4, 11 February 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#49 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

Last time I checked, yes. What's funny is the "good" quality video isn't that much better than the low quality version. It's 256x224 (BLS's internal resolution) at 60 FPS. The "low" quality version just adds some lossy compression to make it smaller (IIRC). Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if YouTube's compression heavily blurs the difference between the two.

I tend to think YouTube's software just messed up somewhere and stopped processing or something, but I think I'll just leave the normal-quality video there as a testament to how 1337 this game is. :P

:P

So... eh... ... 666? :P

#50 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

So... eh... ... 666? :P

I'll probably do that some time this week.

#51 YNMS

YNMS

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

Nice Game! Maybe you could make a video of my game for me?

Edited by YNMS, 15 February 2012 - 12:54 AM.

#52 DarkByNight

DarkByNight

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

I remember when games here were 45% mario and sonic games that were the same as the originals but worse, 45% joke programs and 10% good games....
I come back after my hiatus and even the clones are high quality. :D
Sorry about using the clone word, but no matter how awesome fun this game is (It is) it's still a Mario universe game.
I hope you channel that talent into even more awesome games, I mean, platformers, especially old school platformers are awesome, but aside from breaking copyright (Yeah I know, everyone say's this) they are just overdone.
Anyway, I know you made this game a while ago so you're probably already working on a new awesome game so, good luck! :)

Edited by DarkByNight, 16 February 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#53 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Walkthrough for World 666 has been uploaded:

#54 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Damn you're good at this game, you breeze through that level - I remember how hard it was when I first made it. :P

Edited by Docopoper, 17 February 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#55 Iscaria

Iscaria

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

This is probably frowned upon here, but I'm using this awesome game to help me learn basic commands and also sprite creation/modification. Right now I'm trying to make Bowser's firespit animation look more intense, but I'm running into trouble. The sprite is set to 2 frames and if I replace those 2 frames it runs fine. But if I increase the animation length to 3 frames it makes Bowser glitch out and go into the floor when I use firespit. I've tried going through all the objects etc. to find if I can correct this setting, but have had no luck. Any suggestions?

#56 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Right now I'm trying to make Bowser's firespit animation look more intense, but I'm running into trouble. The sprite is set to 2 frames and if I replace those 2 frames it runs fine. But if I increase the animation length to 3 frames it makes Bowser glitch out and go into the floor when I use firespit. I've tried going through all the objects etc. to find if I can correct this setting, but have had no luck. Any suggestions?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. IIRC, the way it works is it just animates through the animation once, then creates a fireball and returns the sprite to normal. I suspect your problem isn't with multiple frames, but the size of the new animation and placing of the origin. Make sure the origin is in the center horizontally, but the same distance from the bottom as all the other sprites.

#57 Iscaria

Iscaria

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Ah, yes. Adding an additional frame to the animation reset the origin values for the sprite. Reset them to the original and now it works great. Thanks :laugh:

#58 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

I'm getting close to your World 666 score - I think I have discovered the technique you mentioned in your video, I haven't quite beat you - I'm only 3580 points behind you. I think I'm devoting most of the time I play this game to beating that score - I just feel like I should have the highscore for my own level. :P (It's also much less of a marathon than the other 2 scores).

I still love this game when I play it - even though there aren't any new levels to play, I have no idea how you managed to make the game so fun!

#59 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

I'm getting close to your World 666 score - I think I have discovered the technique you mentioned in your video, I haven't quite beat you - I'm only 3580 points behind you. I think I'm devoting most of the time I play this game to beating that score - I just feel like I should have the highscore for my own level. :P (It's also much less of a marathon than the other 2 scores).

I've mentioned this before, but I believe the theoretical maximum score is ~55000. I missed a 1-up mushroom in the run where I got my current high score.

#60 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

I've mentioned this before, but I believe the theoretical maximum score is ~55000. I missed a 1-up mushroom in the run where I got my current high score.

You did? Wow that crushed my ego. :P I usually manage to get all of them... so I guess I'm a little off the correct technique. The mushroom you seem to find difficult to get is actually not that bad - all you have to do is stand on the very edge of the tallest platform and jump over and get it. Bowser also seems to be able to whip it with his tail if it's just out of reach (just turn around beside it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users