• GMC Member
  • 2342 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Dos games, 16bit games. From teh old computer Posted Image

I really like Skyroads:
Posted Image
You can download the game here: Download Skyroads

If your running OS later than windows xp you will need Dosbox (D-fend version) Download D-Fend reloaded
Then drag and drop the skyroads (or any dos game) zip into d-fend and it will install, then hit run.

i made this topic for everyone to discuss their favourite old dos games, 16 bit games etc.

looking forward to what others have to share, and please provide links if available!

-njp

#2 twelveways

twelveways

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1383 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

TIE Fighter and Lucas Arts games as well as the X-Com games are what defined the era for me.

#3 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

Rayman is amazing is all I have to say. Everything rayman 1 related, Rayman Designer, Rayman By His Fans, Rayman Learning Center (and all alternate titles of these games). Love 'em.

#4 njp

njp

Panda

• GMC Member
  • 2342 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

Rayman is amazing is all I have to say. Everything rayman 1 related, Rayman Designer, Rayman By His Fans, Rayman Learning Center (and all alternate titles of these games). Love 'em.

haha yes :P

ill be downloading every game i havent tried that people list here to play them for myself, this should provide hours of boredom relief :)

#5 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22563 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

It's incredible the number of old games that are now available as public domain and abandonware... I had a period some time ago of downloading and playing all those dos games that caused me certain nostalgia, and was actually quite surprised at how well some of them have aged! I can seriously recommend these sites for you to check out :

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/

http://www.abandonia...all/Abandonware

http://www.abandonwaredos.com/

As for a favorite, I spent a loooooong time playing Master of Magic. It's a huge and complex civilisation-like strategy game which (unfortuantely) has never been re-made and no other modern game really has the same mechanics...

Posted Image

#6 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

Heh I remember my first computer had an old (60MHz or so) Intel 486 processor with 8MB of RAM or so, back then it actually had a little LCD screen on the computer displaying the clock speed that it was running at.

The games I liked the most that I used to play on it were Desert Strike: Return To the Gulf, Zyclunt: Blade Warrior, Command And Conquer, Prince of Persia and StarFlight (1 and 2).

Games don't really seem to have changed all that much outside of graphics quality, todays 2D games are still very much like the old DOS games gameplay wise.

... Wait, what was Rayman on DOS? I didn't know this, I had it for the Atari Jaguar.

Edited by nightmare, 24 November 2011 - 12:31 AM.

#7 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

Anything by Apogee, basically. You can still download and buy most of them here:
http://www.3drealms.com/games.html
Commander Keen, Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, Bio Menace(now freeware), Duke Nukem (that's the 2d one!).

*shifts eyes* I also really enjoyed math and word rescue. Shaddup. I did. I do!
Posted Image

Wacky Wheels! Gosh, I love this game.
Posted Image

I actually only recently tried Death Rally, since it was remade for Windows, and released as freeware. That's a lot of fun, too.

Epic Megagames made some nice ones.. I actually still haven't played their most famous one(Jazz Jackrabbit) but Tyrian2k was.. is a brilliant game. That's also been released as freeware, and the artist has released all the graphics under open domain. Nice!
Posted Image

Red Baron is a lot of fun. It's really great, and for an avid reader of Biggles(and general fan of war history), really was something special.
Posted Image

edit: And skyroads is really good. :P I beat all the levels except the last 2. Those are insane!

Edited by Desert Dog, 24 November 2011 - 01:02 AM.

#8 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1936 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:02 AM

I enjoyed MechWarrior 2 way back then. The original Descent was great. And of course classic Doom.

But the one that most people don't know was Magic Carpet, by Bullfrog(not around anywhere). It was a 3d game with voxel terrain, which could easily get modified due to magic spells, ranging from simple crevice creation to volcanoes. The objective was to build a castle, and collect mana. Mana would be picked up by your balloons and brought back to the castle. Of course, there were plenty of different enemies to get mana from, but sometimes other wizards would get in your way. I'd love to make something similar, as a top-down shooter though.

#9 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

... Wait, what was Rayman on DOS? I didn't know this, I had it for the Atari Jaguar.

It was awesome, that's what. :P
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=__dpqvpz_7k

#10 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22563 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

But the one that most people don't know was Magic Carpet, by Bullfrog(not around anywhere). It was a 3d game with voxel terrain, which could easily get modified due to magic spells, ranging from simple crevice creation to volcanoes. The objective was to build a castle, and collect mana. Mana would be picked up by your balloons and brought back to the castle. Of course, there were plenty of different enemies to get mana from, but sometimes other wizards would get in your way. I'd love to make something similar, as a top-down shooter though.

Wow... I forgot about that one! Great game and ground breaking too...

#11 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

All these games were good, back in the 1900s. I see nostalgia still makes some people consider them "Good".

#12 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22563 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

All these games were good, back in the 1900s. I see nostalgia still makes some people consider them "Good".

It's not nostalgia... At least not for me. It's being able to apreciate something for what it has contributed to the modern gaming scene, as well as for being a great game in it's own right that has maintained it's playablility through to today. For that you have to look at them within the context context of what was around at the time in both hardware and software, not compare them to modern games! That's like comparing Leonardo Davinci's mechanical designs for a flying machine to a modern stealth bomber! In it's context DaVinci's designs are incredible and marvelous and can be apreciated for their ingenuity and beauty, but out of context (ie: compared to what we know now) they are infantile and stupid. These games are the same... in the context of when they were made they are works of art and contributed to the gaming heaven we live today!

#13 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

There's a book on game design by a fella called Chris Crawford. You need to read it.

#14 njp

njp

Panda

• GMC Member
  • 2342 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

It's incredible the number of old games that are now available as public domain and abandonware... I had a period some time ago of downloading and playing all those dos games that caused me certain nostalgia, and was actually quite surprised at how well some of them have aged! I can seriously recommend these sites for you to check out :

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/

http://www.abandonia...all/Abandonware

http://www.abandonwaredos.com/

As for a favorite, I spent a loooooong time playing Master of Magic. It's a huge and complex civilisation-like strategy game which (unfortuantely) has never been re-made and no other modern game really has the same mechanics...

Posted Image

i will be checking it out, im not much of a fantasy/medieval/magic games kinda guy but ill still try it.

Anything by Apogee, basically. You can still download and buy most of them here:
http://www.3drealms.com/games.html
Commander Keen, Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, Bio Menace(now freeware), Duke Nukem (that's the 2d one!).

*shifts eyes* I also really enjoyed math and word rescue. Shaddup. I did. I do!
Posted Image

Wacky Wheels! Gosh, I love this game.
Posted Image

I actually only recently tried Death Rally, since it was remade for Windows, and released as freeware. That's a lot of fun, too.

Epic Megagames made some nice ones.. I actually still haven't played their most famous one(Jazz Jackrabbit) but Tyrian2k was.. is a brilliant game. That's also been released as freeware, and the artist has released all the graphics under open domain. Nice!
Posted Image

Red Baron is a lot of fun. It's really great, and for an avid reader of Biggles(and general fan of war history), really was something special.
Posted Image

edit: And skyroads is really good. :P I beat all the levels except the last 2. Those are insane!

i cant even get halfway through the skyroads levels, its so addicting though ^^ and those look fun, especially wacky wheels!

and in my opinion old games are better than newer games, like most of the games coming out for ps3 and xbox nowadays suck, company's trying to make money, it used to be about making good games.
but there still are alot of good games today, like gta IV and the upcoming V, battlefield 3 etc.

never have played a lot of dos games, iv been usually playing nes/snes roms. even emulating some of the ps1 classics :P

#15 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

and in my opinion old games are better than newer games, like most of the games coming out for ps3 and xbox nowadays suck, company's trying to make money

Many of the games I listed are *still* for sale, and by all accounts, still selling!

#16 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

It was awesome, that's what. :P
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=__dpqvpz_7k

Heh I'm going to have to get a hold of that version of the game, my old Atari Jaguar sadly is not very reliable anymore, thanks.

I never did get past Band Land... lol, but I still like the game.

#17 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

If you can, find Rayman Forever (which is what I have) or Rayman Gold.
Quoting from this fanpage I just googled up;

Rayman Gold - USA
Rayman Gold included the "Original" Rayman game, 24 New Levels"and
Rayman Designer which gave you the tools to create your own Rayman
levels.
Platform: DOS/Windows 95/98 CD-ROM
Release: Rayman Gold 1997

Rayman FOREVER - USA
Game Compilation - Rayman Designer, Rayman by his fans and Rayman 1
In June 1999, Rayman Forever expanded upon the Rayman collection by
including 40 levels created in a contest for the fans of Rayman.
Platform: Windows 95, Windows 98, CD-ROM
Release: Rayman Forever 1999

I believe there are some patches (fanmade I guess?) of Rayman 1 and Rayman Designer on the internet that involve DOSBox..Or, I guess if you understand DOSBox, you could do that yourself. ;P

Edited by makerofthegames, 26 November 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#18 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

If you can, find Rayman Forever (which is what I have) or Rayman Gold.
Quoting from this fanpage I just googled up;

Rayman Gold - USA
Rayman Gold included the "Original" Rayman game, 24 New Levels"and
Rayman Designer which gave you the tools to create your own Rayman
levels.
Platform: DOS/Windows 95/98 CD-ROM
Release: Rayman Gold 1997

Rayman FOREVER - USA
Game Compilation - Rayman Designer, Rayman by his fans and Rayman 1
In June 1999, Rayman Forever expanded upon the Rayman collection by
including 40 levels created in a contest for the fans of Rayman.
Platform: Windows 95, Windows 98, CD-ROM
Release: Rayman Forever 1999

I believe there are some patches (fanmade I guess?) of Rayman 1 and Rayman Designer on the internet that involve DOSBox..Or, I guess if you understand DOSBox, you could do that yourself. ;P

Ah thanks, I will get Rayman Forever. Yeah I can use DOSBox, but I have a old Windows 98 based computer which I use only for retro gaming, I'll use that. ^^

I'm strange like that, I prefer to play games in their original environments, I don't use emulators if given the choice hehe I think it is the best way to enjoy them.

Hopefully I will actually beat Band Land this time...

Edit: Just realized what I said lol, using a Windows 98 machine is not really playing it in its own environment, but heh I suppose I could say I'm being true to it by booting in DOS Only mode haha

Edited by nightmare, 26 November 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#19 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:43 AM

There's a book on game design by a fella called Chris Crawford. You need to read it.

I'm sure if you could, you'd berate Skyrim for not having enough "Pong" features in it.

#20 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:07 AM

I'm sure if you could, you'd berate Skyrim for not having enough "Pong" features in it.

Why?

A game could have only a handful of 'features' and be excellent. Or it could be stuffed full of them and still be boring. Features don't define anything, although they often provide an 'interest' point.

#21 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7471 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

I guess you wouldn't want to watch a classic film then. You'd better settle for the 3D remake because it's newer.

Edited by Smarty, 30 November 2011 - 08:56 PM.

#22 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Films haven't changed significantly in the last few years. Games have.

#23 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

Films haven't changed significantly in the last few years. Games have.

Aside from graphical quality I would not say that games have changed all that much. Yes we have 3D worlds now, but for example what you do in modern RPG games, you do the same in old RPG games. It's just about the same with any genre with exception of motion gaming.

Games have simply become more complex, but the exact same gameplay elements which were in old games are still there.

It's the same with films, they have become more complex graphically/special effects and audio wise but aside from that there isn't much difference.

#24 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

Plus Rayman is still amazing.

#25 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

Aside from graphical quality I would not say that games have changed all that much. Yes we have 3D worlds now, but for example what you do in modern RPG games, you do the same in old RPG games. It's just about the same with any genre with exception of motion gaming.

I'd like to see a game like "Scribblenauts" done on the SNES. What, it can't be done? What about minecraft? Or skyrim?
Games have advanced more than film.

#26 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

Eh, when it gets down to it for certain genres they haven't changed a substantial amount. Take platformers, for instance. What I look for in a platformer is good level design, not new features.

#27 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1936 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:38 AM

I'd like to see a game like "Scribblenauts" done on the SNES. What, it can't be done? What about minecraft? Or skyrim?
Games have advanced more than film.

I think the point was that for the most part, the actual gameplay hasn't changed much. Most RPGs are still similar(though done in glorious 3d), as in you still level up, equip weapons/armor, have HP/MP, and in many modern games the elemental system applies in some form(lightning beats water, etc...). A modern 3d FPS in general is the same as DOOM as far as gameplay, as in you walk around and shoot things, find keys, etc... though they look much better now, and sure some gameplay additions have been made, but in general it is the same. You'll find the same in platformers. 3D platformers aren't that different from 2d platformers, except for the 3d part. You still run, jump, maybe shoot, miss ledges, maybe land on enemies, really, not THAT different from 2d platformers.

#28 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

The core gameplay may not be that deviant, but the whole experience of a typical game has changed.
Now we have beautiful FMVs, studio-quality music, and not to mention the amazing graphical feats that have been achieved.

I'm not bashing on old games for worse graphics or 8-bit music(From what I heard, I loved most of them better than their orchestrated remakes); I'm just saying the overall experience has definitely evolved.

DOS games are really good for nostalgia-satisfiers, but they're not always going to appeal to modern gamers because they may not immerse them considering some modern gamers may have grew up with games from around the sixth-gen era(i.e. PS2, Xbox, GC, DC) or even later.

Edited by daman123125, 17 December 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#29 Newbie_37

Newbie_37

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

As a videogame collector and huge fan of 8 - 16 bits games, I understand that for many young people these games don't really appeal them, but I think sometimes it's just a matter of age and experience. Some of us when we were young played Atari, Famicom, Megadrive, Snes, etc. and of course there's a nostalgia factor but at the same time, the whole appreciation is about when games were simpler, and some of them, really fun to play.

Of course SNES can't handle a game like scribblenauts, but that's a hardware limit. Lots of consoles were exploited at the fullest and in the case of the SNES, they even were upgraded the hardware through different sets of chips in order to boost the graphic experience. We cannot compare what you play today and what you will play tomorrow, people will say Minecraft is a piece of garbage compared to a new game experience and so and so.
Many current games, their gameplay were absolutely based on old videogames, I could think in most genres, they started somewhere and I still found Doom more terrific than some modern FPs. Right now, people loves sandbox types of game and I think videogame industry is trying to offer more games where the player can perform freely, something that couldn't be done at the fullest in the past, but certainly, even in the 80's some people already had the concept of sandbox in games. It's just a matter to make research.

#30 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

Nostalgia is a requirement for playing older games. Earlier today I booted up my Gameboy Color with "Pokemon yellow" for a few seconds, just for the hell of it.
(Damn you, nostalgia!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users