Photo

Am I allowed to post HTML5 related tutorials?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

I'd like to start developing tutorials for the GMC on working with HTML5, Javascript, and PHP. They would be GM:HTML5 related tutorials and just random tutorials on said web tech. For examples topics I'd like to cover:
* How to build a site around your GM:HTML5 Game
* How to embed a game into various CMS'
* Using web technology to enhance the game
* etc

I'd like to know if and where I could post these too, as web development is now just as important to the game as is the game itself.

#2 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 4485 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

I think it would be much better if you would just place all the tutorials on your own site, then post the website in Website Announcements. Firstly, this would keep the various tutorials together, relatively independent of ebbs and flows of topics in the tutorial section. Secondly, such a website would provide the gateway you need to start promoting your cloud-based GM4HTML5 service when the time comes.

GameGeisha

#3 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

I thought about this, but to be honest I would reach a far wider audience if I just posted the tutorials here. Besides, I think the community would benefit more if we had a special section or somwhere we could post GMHTML5 web development related tutorials in one place, instead of having a bunch of websites to have to frequently visit to see if any new tutorials are out.

Just like we have a tutorial section for GM games I think we should have a section for web development related to GM - seeing as web dev is part of publishing a GMHTML5 game.

Edited by OMGCarlos, 20 November 2011 - 07:41 PM.

#4 japjap

japjap

GM-LINUX GM-PS4 user

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

GM Tutorials are allowed to be placed in the forum where they belong.

Other things I am not aware of any rules. Actually the staff should make the rules. But since there are non then it should be no problem. I believe the staff should make sub forums regarding this.

#5 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3918 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

Well this is certainly a case-by-case thing we need to consider when reviewing the tutorial.

Tutorials which really are focussed on gamemaker (ie "how to make dlls which work with gamemaker" - or "how to use PHP to handle connections" or "how to use forms & gamemaker at the same time") are certainly welcome. However generic tutorials about those things ("best practices when writing c++ classes", "how to write PHP in 3 lessons" etc) aren't really fit to the tutorial section.

Now it is up to the moderator reviewing your tutorial to decide this. However did you also consider HTML / Javascript subforums under HTML5 board? - That is for discussions regarding these challenges.

#6 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

Thanks paul, actually I didn't notice the HTML / Javascript board. I haven't been really active there since the launch of GM:HTML5, I'll start there and see where it goes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users