• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

• Title:RPG Battle Engine
  • Description:This is a RPG battle engine for game maker 8.1 lite that makes RPG games in a wink of an eye!
  • GM Version: 8.1
  • File Type: .gm81
  • File Size: 1.34MG
  • File Link: Engine
Summary
An RPG battle engine with movement and for game maker 8.1 lite.

Controls
Ctrl=open menu
P=open party selection screen
Arrow keys=move
Space=enter

Screen Shots:
Spoiler

Hopefully this will increase the amount of RPG's made with game maker!
If any of this is used I want full credit!

Building Votes
0/5

Edited by saibot22, 02 January 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#2 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Please comment.

Edited by saibot22, 13 November 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#3 flaterOS

flaterOS

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Looks great!...I love the Final Fantasy style :thumbsup:

#4 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

Looks great!...I love the Final Fantasy style :thumbsup:

:thanks:

#5 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 6962 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

This looks surprisingly good to come from such a new user as you... but then again, "-50.28" gold and repaletted Arboks. :P I'll check it out.

#6 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

This looks surprisingly good to come from such a new user as you... but then again, "-50.28" gold and repaletted Arboks. :P I'll check it out.

I gave -50.28 gold if so I will fix it also I was programming before I joined.
Edit:
I fixed it fixed it anyways.
Also how do you edit a title?

Edited by saibot22, 30 November 2011 - 01:04 AM.

#7 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 6962 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

Use the Full Edit option when editing a post.

#8 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:22 AM

Okay anymore comments?

#9 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 6962 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

The engine is a lot better than the first RPG engine I made, but it's a lot worse than the one I'm working on now.

- The graphics are incredibly bland. It seems like every single sprite has been ripped from a different game and you resizing them makes them unappetizingly blurry. Plus, why have a gazillion identical template walk sprites when there's only four characters in battle at a time?
- The battle controls are unresponsive. I had to open the source file mid-running the demo to make sure I was pressing the right keys since they took forever to respond. Also, using L/R to move up/down in a menu was highly unintuitive. Finally, one of the characters started with the "Slice enemies like you'd slice an apple" move selected when selecting his/her skills, but the move list was empty and moving the marker just unselected the move, wasting your turn.
- ALL menus on the pause menu screen does nothing. In fact, they're not even coded yet looking at the source.
- There is no alert of any kind when getting into a random encounter. At least you could've used a buzzing sound and a "create from center" transition effect, no? (Personally, I'd recommend you to use the newspaper-swirl transition effect, it should look even better)

Finally, you should recolor the ATB gauge yellow to avoid having it mixed up with a healthbar and then add HP/MP bars below the corresponding text in the character names in the battle HUD. It would make it easier to gauge your remaining power in the heat of the battle.

#10 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:41 PM

The engine is a lot better than the first RPG engine I made, but it's a lot worse than the one I'm working on now.

- The graphics are incredibly bland. It seems like every single sprite has been ripped from a different game and you resizing them makes them unappetizingly blurry. Plus, why have a gazillion identical template walk sprites when there's only four characters in battle at a time?
- The battle controls are unresponsive. I had to open the source file mid-running the demo to make sure I was pressing the right keys since they took forever to respond. Also, using L/R to move up/down in a menu was highly unintuitive. Finally, one of the characters started with the "Slice enemies like you'd slice an apple" move selected when selecting his/her skills, but the move list was empty and moving the marker just unselected the move, wasting your turn.
- ALL menus on the pause menu screen does nothing. In fact, they're not even coded yet looking at the source.
- There is no alert of any kind when getting into a random encounter. At least you could've used a buzzing sound and a "create from center" transition effect, no? (Personally, I'd recommend you to use the newspaper-swirl transition effect, it should look even better)

Finally, you should recolor the ATB gauge yellow to avoid having it mixed up with a healthbar and then add HP/MP bars below the corresponding text in the character names in the battle HUD. It would make it easier to gauge your remaining power in the heat of the battle.

Well the party selection screen is for different people also I have added battle music and I am taking votes so if 5+ people want NPCs in the example I will add them.

#11 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 6962 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

Vote for NPCs - your engine won't be complete without it.

You didn't address any of the issues I pointed out. Please do so.

Anyway, please replace those monster sprites with ones from the same game at least.
Some FF6 sprites:
Spoiler

#12 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

Vote for NPCs - your engine won't be complete without it.

You didn't address any of the issues I pointed out. Please do so.

Anyway, please replace those monster sprites with ones from the same game at least.
Some FF6 sprites:

Spoiler

Okay I will be working on it also the blank menu is so people can test what they have learnt.
Edit:
Done also a go in and out for buildings vote has been added.

Edited by saibot22, 03 December 2011 - 12:48 AM.

#13 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 6962 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

also the blank menu is so people can test what they have learnt.

What a convenient excuse. :P

#14 ProjectOne

ProjectOne

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

First time I see you done something better saibot. Congratz :D

#15 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:28 AM

First time I see you done something better saibot. Congratz :D

Thanks but what do you mean by "better"?

#16 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

Building Votes
0/5

#17 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

Building Votes
0/5

#18 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 6962 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

Building Votes
0/5

Building Votes
0/5

Seriously, if your information-less post got no attention the first time, you could at least explain a bit more the second time. Are you "building votes" as in "raising votes", and if so, votes about what? Or do you want us to vote about buildings?

Tip: when you're making an engine, and you come up with something that can be convenient for the users, it never hurts to add it! The more things you have in your engine, the more you can brag about it ::lmao::, and the more people will download it. Right?

#19 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

Building Votes
0/5

Building Votes
0/5

Seriously, if your information-less post got no attention the first time, you could at least explain a bit more the second time. Are you "building votes" as in "raising votes", and if so, votes about what? Or do you want us to vote about buildings?

Tip: when you're making an engine, and you come up with something that can be convenient for the users, it never hurts to add it! The more things you have in your engine, the more you can brag about it ::lmao::, and the more people will download it. Right?

Maybe but because I have other projects too I let people vote and I descrived the voting earlier.

#20 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 6962 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Maybe but because I have other projects too

Like 20 projects are belong to me (Dracurajima, Zombie Zoo Murder Case, SakanaSh˘jo, Final Columbus, Road Warrior II, Yaru-SMB, ...) but I still have enough time to write legible information in all my post.

#21 saibot22

saibot22

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

Maybe but because I have other projects too

Like 20 projects are belong to me (Dracurajima, Zombie Zoo Murder Case, SakanaSh˘jo, Final Columbus, Road Warrior II, Yaru-SMB, ...) but I still have enough time to write legible information in all my post.

Are any of them 3D????????? Mine are. :D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users