YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3825 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:53 PM

Title: PolyGravity

Download: (SolidFiles) | (MediaFire)
Download (sound-less version): (SolidFiles)

PolyGravity is a game with non-standard game mechanic of dynamic gravity - one rotates as you walk around and collide with objects.

Posted Image
Second level from the game

Posted Image
Green level

Posted Image
Main menu

Posted Image
Power of vector-based level editor

Comments are welcome (like, really)

Edited by YellowAfterlife, 21 November 2011 - 04:22 PM.

#2 DecoyRU

DecoyRU

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

awesome.

#3 Vendet

Vendet

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

Good game! :thumbsup:

#4 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

I knew those examples came at a cost... >:(

Cool stuff! As a game, it's hard to play, though, and confusing. The first couple of levels 'finished' without me knowing what I was doing. :P I think some hasty level design thar.
Clicking on the Purple level, it goes non responsive on me. I guess it's really big and my computer doesn't like it or something.

Good work, look forward to seeing something come out of this after the jam!

#5 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3825 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:31 AM

I knew those examples came at a cost... >:(

Cool stuff! As a game, it's hard to play, though, and confusing. The first couple of levels 'finished' without me knowing what I was doing. :P I think some hasty level design thar.
Clicking on the Purple level, it goes non responsive on me. I guess it's really big and my computer doesn't like it or something.

Good work, look forward to seeing something come out of this after the jam!

Thank you for playing.

I apologize for lack of tutorial levels - two out of three days were spent on getting level editor and collision engine done (after all attempts to fix collision normal vector detection, I had to write collision system from scratch).
At the current moment level shapes are presented via d3d models (thus stored in VRAM?), which might be a reason for crash with last level. I'll upload a minor fix for this issue later on today.

Implementation of line drawing algoritm that wouldn't rely on GPU requires something better than GM8' for Windows. All my hopes are aimed at getting that something via this contest :)

#6 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:05 AM

I liked it - very atmospheric. It took me a while to figure out that the gravity only changed when I was on the ground though.

#7 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 20939 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:54 AM

Wonderful game you have there YAL... I particularly liked the atmosphere in each level, mainly created by the quirky backgrounds and lovely ambient music. Some levels I found quite confusing but once you get to grips with the gravity mechanics (Don't play TNTBF before this or you will suffer!!!!) it's a really fun and challenging 360º platformer. I sincerly hope that even if you don't place in the Jam that you continue with this and polish it up to create a complete game... it doesn't have far to go (some sound and some more levels, plus a better tutorial!) to become one of the best GM games I've played for a while, so please keep at it!!!!

#8 $pecter

$pecter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1616 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

Awesome, dude, this is incredible. As said above, a little bit more work and polish and this could be a real hit!

#9 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3825 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

I liked it - very atmospheric. It took me a while to figure out that the gravity only changed when I was on the ground though.

Thank you. Gravity changes on impact\collision were done on purpose - not only to allow level parts to be passed from multiple sides, but also to save me from spending even more time on engine part. Current 'glitch' with player not sticking to surfaces in some cases is caused by terrain 'normal vector' calculations being done only for vertical movement, thus making it not possible to stick to surfaces with angle differing from current gravity by more than 90 degrees.

Awesome, dude, this is incredible. As said above, a little bit more work and polish and this could be a real hit!

I'll do what is possible :)

Wonderful game you have there YAL... I particularly liked the atmosphere in each level, mainly created by the quirky backgrounds and lovely ambient music. Some levels I found quite confusing but once you get to grips with the gravity mechanics (Don't play TNTBF before this or you will suffer!!!!) it's a really fun and challenging 360 platformer. I sincerly hope that even if you don't place in the Jam that you continue with this and polish it up to create a complete game... it doesn't have far to go (some sound and some more levels, plus a better tutorial!) to become one of the best GM games I've played for a while, so please keep at it!!!!

There the sad part comes in: it can't work stable as PC GameMaker-compiled version.

Current implementation uses d3d models to create complex 2d primitives, and is basically the fastest thing possible (in terms of drawing speed) in GameMaker.
However, these models seem to be 'too much' for some computers to handle, causing executable to crash (as seen by Desert Dog) or even causing driver crash, which causes 'blue screen of death' with versions of Windows below Vista.
The other implementation is via draw_line \ draw_triangle. In PC version of GameMaker this can get game lagging on weaker computers (because of parsing a lot of code with i/o on each draw), but works quite better in GM:HTML5 (as confirmed by several people), presumably because of code being 'compiled' into JS finely.
'Crazier' methods involve 'baking' image sectors into surfaces, however I'm not even sure if that will work, or make things worse by making game incompatbile with some different group of computers.

So I'm waiting for jam results to indicate, if I did good and this game deserves to be made into a great online game with shareable content...

#10 Drane_One

Drane_One

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Very nice! I've voted for the game in the Jam. I think, it must be a winner.

#11 greenio3

greenio3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 93 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

That is a very well made game! Nice and simple graphics and music and the perfect amount of difficulty. I thoroughly enjoyed the level editor. Overall great game! The one thing I wanted more of was levels! The game is pretty short. Other than that it is a wonderful game! Posted Image

#12 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2971 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

Quite a brilliant game idea. I enjoyed it. Passed through all the levels a bit quickly though. :P The camera movement is a bit nauseating because of the lack of smoothness but otherwise I quite like it.

#13 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2848 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

This game was interesting. The purple level caused a BSoD on my Dell Inspiron Mini, but it's a weak computer anyway and I was aware that might happen after reading the posts here. After rebooting, I was able to play the purple level. Maybe Firefox took up too much RAM and made it more prone to BSoD problems. Cool engine though! :happy:

#14 drt_t1gg3r

drt_t1gg3r

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3404 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

I had no purpose. I mean what was it I was supposed to do. I pressed the left, right and up key and it moved and jumped. The room rotated depending on position. But, all in all I didn't know what to do. Was there a goal? or was this just the beginnings of something? Had no problems with any of the levels playing and didn't receive a BSoD at all.

The music fit 'the scene' I guess. However, I was lost on what to do and how to do it. Sorry, I couldn't give the rave reviews that the others above me did. maybe I just didn't get the point.

#15 SI II man

SI II man

GMC Member

• 83 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

This is the best execution of 360 gravity I have seen, I have witnessed no crashes, bugs or lag on my PC. I believe this game has limitless potential for expanding into something marketable, if you had the desire to go down that route.

#16 regular

regular

GMC Member

• 399 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

I like the concept with gravity changing upon touching the ground only. However, the game was way too easy. I couldnt distinguish exit from traps and yet I completed all of them with no more than 5 tries. I completed one level from the first try and Ive completed second level several times since I didnt realise I have completed it.
The game is good, but too short and easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users