GM Version: GM8.1
Screen Resolution: 800 x 600
Changes Screen Resolution: No

Download Link:
Game Website
Direct Download
YoYo Games Link
IndieCity Link

Description: Husband. Father of two. Mouse. This is your life.
But life isn't so easy for a Mouse. Right outside your door, predators lie in wait to pounce on you at any moment. Just keeping your family fed is a constant struggle for your life.
Now wouldn't it be nice to escape all of the world's dangers and go live somewhere safe and carefree?
Somewhere such as The Moon, which, as we all know is made of cheese. But how would a family of Mice get to this Mouse paradise known as The Moon.... ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Download Link:
Game Website
Direct Download
YoYo Games Link
IndieCity Link

Comments and criticisms welcomed!
Thanks for playing my game!

Edited by ClassyGoat, 17 July 2012 - 04:35 AM.

#2 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3053 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

This game is actually really good! It is visually pleasing and I can't wait to find out how the story ends- it is gripping :yes:

Edit: Completed it this morning, don't want to say too much because I don't want to spoil it for others, but it was awesome, enjoyed playing, enjoyed the story, looking forward to sequel :)

Edited by Soulsnatcher, 26 October 2011 - 10:10 AM.

#3 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Soulsnatcher!

I've already begun to work on the sequel, but don't expect it to be done anytime soon.... :tongue:

One concern I had when making this game was balancing the difficulty level. When I play test it, it's all a piece of cake, but that's because I know exactly how all the enemies are programmed.... and then when I've had other people play it, sometimes it seems a little bit too difficult.

I was really aiming to make it not frustratingly difficult but difficult enough to be challenging.
Did you feel like it was too easy, too difficult, or just about right?

#4 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3053 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Soulsnatcher!

I've already begun to work on the sequel, but don't expect it to be done anytime soon.... :tongue:

One concern I had when making this game was balancing the difficulty level. When I play test it, it's all a piece of cake, but that's because I know exactly how all the enemies are programmed.... and then when I've had other people play it, sometimes it seems a little bit too difficult.

I was really aiming to make it not frustratingly difficult but difficult enough to be challenging.
Did you feel like it was too easy, too difficult, or just about right?

I have to admit, I didn't actually think it was that hard. I probably died 9 or 10 times throughout playing, but about 4 of those were to you know who, the last fight of the game ;)

The various boss fights were an excellent example of what you say; they gave me a challenge to figure out how to beat them, and sure, they defeated me once or twice, but it wasn't enough to put me off playing- the story is well thought out and kept me interested to find out what happened next, so if I did die, I was soon back giving it another go :)

I am genuinely looking forward to a sequel- you left it with a definate ending but I'm sure there is still a story beyond that to be told :P I'll have to keep that file safe!

#5 Dannerz

Dannerz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:04 AM

I downloaded it, wanted to play it, tried to load the game.
Loading took forever then it had some kind of error and crashed.
Sad. I think this has to do with gamemaker's preformance and format.

#6 zabo

zabo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

k i already found a glitch when typing in names the first letter cant be a p for some reason it just wont work , but after another letter it will.

#7 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

Sorry Dannerz, if your computer has a low amount of memory or your graphics card is too old, unfortunately the game won't run. And yes, I do blame Game Maker for these limitations. Oh well! :-P

Thanks for finding that glitch for me, Zabo! I will look into fixing that right away!!

#8 Desttinghim

Desttinghim

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

Wow. That was amazing. I played through it and I had lot of fun. Couldn't get the tie :(
I liked it a lot, but I didn't think it was too hard. The bosses were kind of hard, but I eventually beat them within 4 deaths at most. I only wish there was a bit more content in the game. I beat it in about 30-60 minutes.

#9 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

Desttinghim, thanks for playing my game! I'm glad you liked it! :biggrin:

I had originally planned for this game to be a lot longer. But then through its development I came up with a bunch of new ideas to improve the core gameplay elements (mostly involving how items and weapons are handled) By this time, it was much too late to go and change everything. So instead, I decided to just keep the game short and sweet. And then focus my efforts on making the game's sequel, which will include all of the improvements I've thought up.

The sequel will take place 6 years after the original ends. It will be a lot longer, have more weapons, more items, more side quests, and an improved control setup.

Thanks for your feedback!

#10 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

I downloaded it, wanted to play it, tried to load the game.
Loading took forever then it had some kind of error and crashed.
Sad. I think this has to do with gamemaker's preformance and format.

Same thing happened to me.

#11 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

Sorry Dannerz, if your computer has a low amount of memory or your graphics card is too old, unfortunately the game won't run. And yes, I do blame Game Maker for these limitations. Oh well! :-P

Thanks for finding that glitch for me, Zabo! I will look into fixing that right away!!

It's not GM's fault. You likely have large images(over 1024x1024), or very large sound files. Another 'game devving' program *might* automatically split that up into smaller textures, but that doesn't mean it's GM fault because it doesn't.. you just have to do it yourself. :D

Game looks good(with a soulsnatcher seal of approval, too!), I'm currently on a computer which 'will' have the same problem as orange08 and Dannerz... I'll try it on another pc later.

#12 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Will breaking up large images into smaller pieces really make it run better on older computers? Please, tell me more.

Edited by ClassyGoat, 07 November 2011 - 05:12 PM.

#13 ImVeryHumbled

ImVeryHumbled

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 29 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

Works great for me, and a ton of fun, my wife who immediately asked if I took out the trash, I named her "*****mouse".

I died in the Forrest though, but I am going to save this and replay it later, and that is huge, its been a long time since Ive done that with a GM game. Great work, really. 9/10 so far

#14 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for trying it out, ImVeryHumbled, let me know what you think of it overall when you beat it! :biggrin:

#15 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

Will breaking up large images into smaller pieces really make it run better on older computers? Please, tell me more.

Well think of it this way.
a 32x32 image is 1024 pixels
a 1024x1024 image is 1048576 pixels.

1024x1024 is a safe number. Every computer should be able to run it. More, and it gets a bit murkier. (some *say* that 2048x2048 is also a safe number to use, but I don't think so)

When running a game, these graphics are loaded into RAM, or the gfx card.. I'm not entirely sure, tbh.

There is a limit to how much you can load. If you load too much all at once, it won't work(although this is rarely a problem thesedays, still remember to uncheck 'preload graphics' for most(if not all) graphics). And if you try to load a size that is simply to big for that graphics card, it will also fail. Most(not netbooks.. maybe onboard, etc.) modern graphics cards can load much larger 'bites' of information, so that is why you, and lots of other players have no problem.

If you look at 'old' games that ran on systems like the NES, and Sega.. systems which had far less memory/speed than modern computers, they broke all their graphics into small 'tiles'. They were able to build large maps (well over 1024x1024!!) with sets of small, 16x16 (or something similar) graphics sets, which took up hardly any memory at all.

So that's pretty complicated, and I'm not sure how much of all that I got right... I just follow a simple rule: Never go over 1024x1024. (a power of 2 number). You can choose your own upper limit.. but I'd recommend my one. :D Then you'll have no problems.

#16 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:44 AM

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the tips, Desert Dog.

#17 Thaudal

Thaudal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

I've really been enjoying this so far (great game!).

But now I'm at a stop... I've just retrieved the tin can, triggered the cutscene where I walk into the doctor's house, but then the cutscene kinda just... freezes. It's as if the conversation I'm supposed to automatically engage with the doctor as part of the cutscene never comes. I've tried loading over again and doing the fight before the cutscene again and again, but the same result always; that cutscene will not finish. :/

Kinda frustrating, I'd really like to complete this game.

#18 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

Shoot! Sorry Elminster! I've never seen that bug before. I just tried a few times to replicate it, but to no avail.

Here is a Save Game File that is saved right the part you got stuck: Download .Sav
Download it, then load it in the game. It's right after collecting all the parts, the doctor basically tells you to go home for the night and come back in the morning.

Let me know how it works out.
I'm going to keep looking into fixing that bug.

#19 Thaudal

Thaudal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

Thank you, now I could finally play it to the end. It was great! One of the best adventure games I've seen made in GM. Very enjoyable. And I as well am looking forward to the sequel! :D

#20 greenio3

greenio3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

Wow! That game was brilliant! The graphics were phenomenal and the difficulty was perfect. I enjoyed the sounds but the squeaking that the mice make can get annoying, but that's a very minuscule problem and it is a cute sound effect. To sum up: 10/10! Keep it up!

#21 SolarLune

SolarLune

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

New guy to the forum (maybe; maybe I've signed up before? :S), though I've used GM before for years. I just wanted to inform you, ClassyGoat - I downloaded this through IndieCity (good job on getting your game in there, by the way), and when I run it, it tells me I need a better graphics card. I find that a little hard to believe, as I've run games like DC Universe on my computer and use it myself for 3D game design with GLSL shaders. Is there possibly something wrong with your graphics card checking script? Anyway, thanks for the free game.

Edited by SolarLune, 09 December 2011 - 06:00 PM.

#22 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:12 AM

Hey SolarLune! There's a point in the game where I use lighting effects that use a Game Maker feature called a 'surface.' Surfaces can use up a lot of your video ram, and if your graphics card can't handle it, it'll crash the game. The amount of video ram the game requires is mainly based on the size of the room. Unfortunately, one of the only places I use surfaces is in a really big room. The script that is run at the beginning simulates a large surface and then sees if your graphics card likes it. Otherwise, the game may crash later about half way through playing.

But, if you want to give it a shot anyways, here is the same game with that surface check script removed: DOWNLOAD (Make sure to unzip the EXE!)
But be warned!!! The game might crash on you later.

Also, what type of graphics card are you running? And how much ram does it have?

Maybe try updating your graphics card drivers too (A good idea, regardless!)

#23 PetzI

PetzI

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1051 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

I played through the entire thing in one sitting and it was great, really. It was really short, but not so short that it didn't leave an impression. Its very fun, I like the fighting mechanics a lot, and strafing wasn't as hard to pick up on as I thought it would be. The graphics were very pretty to look at but I did notice that the main character was alternately left-handed and right-handed depending on which side he was turning to. This was just a minor detail, really. Oh, and I really wish it had fullscreen for better immersion.

The zelda sound-effects and music fitted pretty well, but it's really unprofessional to just steal an entire game's audio resources. It might also lead some players to think it's more similar to zelda than it is.

I have a few things in the gameplay to point out:

Spoiler

If you're looking to actually expand the game, I recommend a second trip to the Dark Forest (obligatory or optional). It was pretty scary (got out with 1 HP), and the perspective of having to go in there again, even deeper this time, would make me kind of terrified.

The story was great! I loved the development, all the twists and turns, and it's really funny how the characters act so wrong against each other. The main character is kind of cynic and doesn't seem to have any regard for some of his peers. Overall it's a great game and I'm glad to have played it!

Edited by PetzI, 27 May 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#24 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the thorough feedback, PetzI! It is greatly appreciated. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the game.

This game was more than anything, a huge learning experience for me. It was the first "real" game I've ever completed. The first one I've truly been proud of. I decided to keep it relatively short in favor of it getting repetitious and stale.

I really wish I could have used original music and sound effects. Unfortunately, neither of those things are my forte. Sure, it's unprofessional, but I would never attempt to sell a game without 100% original content anyways.

I have begun production on a sequel to this game, which will be a lot longer. I'm hoping to improve all aspects of the game play and mechanics all around. I'm also looking into finding someone to come up with an original soundtrack as well.

In response to your 'Spoiler' comments, all I'm gonna say is this: I wanted there to be a little bit of trial and error here and there. Some instances where you're not really sure what to do. Times where maybe you have to try different approaches to figure it out. And you got through the whole game without giving up, so it must not have been too terribly difficult to figure out. :tongue:

Thanks again for your feedback and criticisms. I'm adding your suggestions to my list of improvements to be seen in the sequel!

#25 J_B

J_B

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

Hey man,

Just finished your game, took about 1 and 1/2 hours and really enjoyed it!

Graphics are simple but made quite beautiful by the animations (the cut scene looking into the rocket and the take off were really nice). I'd love to see this same style refined for the next one, my main complaint would be some parts look a little cheap (like the beach) but it's no big deal really.

Gameplay is good, again, simple but this really opens up a whole array of tactics. Found the enemies kind of annoying after a while and ended up just running past most of them, especially in the dark forest where those moth things keep respawning anyway. It would be cool if there was some kind of incentive in the next game to kill the random creatures (perhaps a currency system which you could use to buy new items or costumes?) I think the difficulty was just right, your wife was hard to beat, ended u getting her stuck in the table and shooting her to death. This fight should be hard but at the moment i felt it was hard in a bad way since I could only manage to kill her by cheapness.

Sounds were good, well placed. Music was ok, if you don't use original songs perhaps tracks that are less identifiable would be good? I loved the voice over at the start! Really wish this carried on, made it like playing a story book. That is really what kept me playing, the story was great, original and unexpected. Would be cool if some of your actions had consequences / alternate ways things would happen.

Looking forward to the sequal!

#26 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:53 AM

Thanks for checking out my game J_B!

And thanks for the feedback! I've taken your suggestions into consideration. The game play mechanics in the sequel are going to be quite different from the first one. It'll be more of an Action-RPG with level ups, magic, and more weapons / items.

#27 PetzI

PetzI

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1051 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

I actually thought this while I was playing, but it slipped my mind in the first post and only now did I remember to post it. You should look into giving the player the option to play with a controller instead of a keyboard. I know at least one GM game that has this (AnUntitledStory), so it's definitely possible. I think it would be a pretty interesting feature.

#28 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:56 AM

Heh, this is going to make for an interesting conversation if you ever get married classy goat ;)

#29 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

PetzI, that's a really good idea! This sort of game would be probably a lot easier to play using a game controller. I will definitely look into implementing that in the sequel.

#30 ZacharyKrodel

ZacharyKrodel

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

This is a fantastic game! I really love the art style. It's very stylized. The story could have been more polished, but it had a lot of charm. I played through all the way to the end in one sitting, so that really tells how addicting the game is. And that part near the end, when you fight "her" (I don't want to spoil it for people reading) was absolutely the most unexpected plot twist I have ever seen. It was crazy.

I do have one question: Does killing Benny in the meadow effect the storyline? After I killed him on accident, I just reloaded my save, but now I am curious what would have happened if I continued?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users