Posted Image

VOTING HAS FINISHED HERE

PREVIOUS Theme Choosen By theSnidr : LAWS

Click For The Official Games Topic

GMC Jam ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ Chat

(thanks to Zeddidragon)

The GMC Jam Countdown Clock

(thanks to ShadowLink)

Well, it looks like autumn is finally here! the leaves are falling, I've got the flu and half the GMC is back at school studying hard to be the next generation of Steve Jobs wannabes... BUT some things are more important than school and illness! And one of those things is the GMC Autumn Halloween Jam!!!! This time around we will be starting at 00:01 GMT Saturday 29th October and finishing at 23:59 GMT Monday 31st so get out those calendars and note down that you will have no life other than GM and the GMC until the next 72 hours have passed.

The rules are as follows :

WHAT IS IT?

The Jam is a community event that we organise to encourage people to experiment with GM and make something that will be interesting or entertaining within the limited timescale of 72 hours. The rules are pretty simple...

WHEN
  • Starts Saturday 29th October
  • 72 hours long from 00:01 AM GMT Saturday 29th ...to... 23:59 PM GMT Monday 31st

THEME
  • Each Jam has a theme, and participants are encouraged to use it.
  • Using the theme is NOT obligatory, but will be valued when voting.
  • To encourage use of theme, the highest-voted theme-based game gets to choose the theme for next Jam.
  • The theme will not be revealed until just before the start of the Jam to prevent any advantages

VOTING
  • TO BE DISCUSSED
  • All games are eligible (themed and non-themed), but voters should take "use of theme" into account. (Remember: non-theme games can win, but they CANNOT pick the next Jam's theme. see above.)
  • Voters may give an "Honourable Mention" vote for a game whose features they liked, but wasn't good enough to win. These can be graphics, sound, gameplay, idea, etc.
  • When voting, leave feedback about WHY you voted for the game(s) you chose. (Optional)
  • In order to encourage friendly community spirit, we ask that members not vote for their own game. Or NPT will be very miffed...
PARTICIPATING
  • All games must be original creations specifically for the Jam, but you may use whatever resources you wish : EG. dll, scripts, sprites and sounds etc etc etc...
  • You may submit as many games as you wish, but only the highest rated game in the final vote will be elligible for winning any prizes.
  • Games must be posted in the Official Games Topic before the finish deadline for the Jam, and posting a topic in the Games forum here at the GMC is recommended if you want feedback and opinions as the Games Topic is ONLY FOR POSTING GAMES. Hosting is up to the individual user.
  • The Official Games Topic must contain a link to your game and a short description.
  • HTML5 Games are permitted, BUT MUST HAVE DOWNLOADABLE .EXE VERSION posted in the Official Games Topic.
  • People are welcome to use any outside sites, and are also welcome to promote such sites, but the posting of topics and the voting will be done on the GMC.
  • Teams are encouraged and can be organised by you with whomever you wish or you can participate in a random team (see below for more details)
OFFICIAL PRIZES
  • 1st place gets A GM Coupon for the latest version of GM:HTML5 (and a T_shirt and a Yoyo)!!!! (see addendum at the end for special circumstances)
  • 2nd Place a T-Shirt and a Yoyo.
  • 3rd Place a Yoyo
  • Community Prizes will be as before... A special graphic/banner, bragging rights and (if your game is a themed game) the possibility of choosing the next Jam theme.
  • Prizes will also be offered as members of the community contribute whatever the feel appropriate. EG: Coverage on their web site, custom graphics for the game, a video of the gameplay for YouTube... Whatever
Addendum : If you are in a two man team, each member will get a copy of GM:HTML5. For larger teams (MAXIMUM 4 members), a 50% discount is the prize for each member (plus a t-shirt and a Yoyo each). If your team is larger than 4 members, then it's up to you to decide who gets what, but no more than four 50% coupons or 2 full versions of GM:HTML5 will be issued. To be eligible for the prizes you MUST declare that your game is a collaboration in this topic or in the Official Games Topic BEFORE the end of the Jam and voting begins, stating exactly who is on your team.

ADDITIONAL PRIZES
These are prizes kindly and very generously offered to us by GMC members. To all who donate their time/experience/whatever to this community endeavor I thank you very, very much! If you wish to add a community prize (web hosting, game reviews, advertising etc...) please post in this topic and I will PM you.

• Indie(Function) are offering reviews in their magazine for the top three games. Thanks to BretHudson for that!
  • theUltimate will create signature banners for the Top Five games in the Jam. Thank you!
  • Orange08 will write a poem for the winner!
  • wormintheworks has offered a FREE COPY of his game "Antibody Blast" and a FREE PRE_ORDER COPY of his upcoming game "Sudz". Wonderful prizes there... thanks a lot!!!!
  • Fireball16 offers a free windows copy of his game Penguin Perils on its release. Great stuff! Thanks a lot!
  • RPSR1994 offers the top 5 to be Official Testers of his upcoming WIP, and if the game gets commercial, they will be awarded free Windows copies of it .
  • ThatSnail says that for fifth place only, he will review the game on his blog as well as create a Let's Play.
  • Rusty would like to offer 1st, 2nd and 3rd place a guest appearance in his upcoming pokemon game as gym leaders.
  • jak1243 offers a copy of his game Platform Maze as a prize.
  • IceMetalPunk will make banners for 1st and 2nd place.
  • theg721 will give secret access to all the alpha and beta versions of his games til the Jam #8 discussion topic is opened to the winner.
  • Gilden will send to the winner a RPG Graphics Pack that he values at $65 (screenshot here)
  • Beatson (Of CrySet Games) is giving a banner on the home page of CrySet for the 1st place game, whilst also getting his game partnered on CrySet (custom background/banner on the game page). 2nd/3rd Get their game partnered on CrySet (custom background/banner on the game page). Partnered games will get twice as much revenue per download/play.

So thatīs the main deal with the Jam! As this is a community event, random teams are very much encouraged, so if you wish to make a team with anyone, send me a PM with your skills (programming, graphics, sound etc...) and a few days before the Jam you will be paired with someone to form a random team. You may also PM me if you wish to form a team but donīt know who with and I will place your name in this post so that anyone else looking for a teammate can PM you.

Remember everyone, the aim of the Jam is not to win, but to participate, experiment, and have as much fun as possible! Everyone that participated in the previous Jam had a great time and some fantastic and interesting games were produced, so lets see if we can make this next one even better! Oh, and to those that participated last time, PLEASE post links and screens in this topic of your games if you have continued to develop them as we are all very interested to know what became of some of them... And to everyone else, please post any questions or ideas here too so that they may be discussed by everyone, or even just post to show your support. The more the merrier!

Mark
(Nocturne)

These people are looking for TEAM MATES: (pm them if you are interested)

These people are going to make RANDOM TEAMS :

Some banners for your signature :

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

Now there are a couple of things to discuss in this topic before the start of the Jam :

• Should we stick with SSE voting?
  • Can you submit two or more entries?
  • Better method to present the games? A linked list, zip, other? (HAS TO BE ON THE GMC)
  • Permit the winner add a restriction to the theme (or make the restriction itself the theme)? (EG: only use a certain palette, or shapes, or only one button etc...)
  • Should all games have an obligatory f1 information page?

To get the ball rolling, lets discuss VOTING! It was suggested in the last Jam that the SSE method of voting was needlessly complicated, so I would like to ask for other suggestions. One that was suggested and seemed to be acceptable by the majority was place voting. So, if you have 5 games and someone votes like this :

1) Game A
2) Game D
3) Game C
4) Game B
5) Game E

Then the scoring would be done like this :

Game A - score += 1/1
Game B - score += 1/4
Game C - score += 1/3
Game D - score += 1/2
Game E - score += 1/5

In this way, each game that is voted for gets a proportional score added to it's overall score based on the position it is voted for. Now, this will mean that a game that gets a lot of 2nd and 3rd place votes can win, even if it doesn't get any first place votes, which is something some people may not like.

Anyway, suggestions, ideas and discussions please!!!!

#3 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:54 AM

I think it's silly to mention several topics then discuss only one of them at a time. I don't have any opinions on any except one of them, and I don't feel like waiting a week to a month to say it.

Can you submit two or more entries?

There shouldn't be any reason why you wouldn't allow this. This is about getting the community to get back to making games instead of sitting around all day posting on a forum. If you cause someone to want to submit one game much less multiple it has been a success. :turned:

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

I think it's silly to mention several topics then discuss only one of them at a time. I don't have any opinions on any except one of them, and I don't feel like waiting a week to a month to say it.

There shouldn't be any reason why you wouldn't allow this. This is about getting the community to get back to making games instead of sitting around all day posting on a forum. If you cause someone to want to submit one game much less multiple it has been a success. :turned:

The reason that we should discuss the points in order is simply ease of communication. If we all decide to talk about whatever we think relevant then there will be no discussion about anything and we will go nowhere. In all debates there is a list of points to be covered... And it won't be a month or whatever, but maybe a day or two!

Oh, and your opinion has been noted.

#5 mads2194

mads2194

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

WHEN

* Starts Saturday 30th July

Do I need a time machine for this? :whistle:

#6 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

WHEN

Lol! Thats what I get for recycling the old topic... Fixed!

#7 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

Yay it's time again :D

I have a good feeling this one is going to be pretty big, and it ends a day before my birthday, I wonder if I'll get a 1st place birthday present :3

Haven't decided if I'm going to be in a team or by myself again, I'm leaning towards team this time but don't put me up yet. I will definitely be in the chat to help people with problems and other things.

Oh, and to those that participated last time, PLEASE post links and screens in this topic of your games if you have continued to develop them as we are all very interested to know what became of some of them...

I continued development for about a week after the Jam, but now I feel like going back and touching it up some more before this one starts, but I too would like to know if other people continued with their games.

What motg said.

The second Jam is what made me become more active on these forums and I made a lot of friends because of it, so I owe a lot to the Jam and everyone involved in it :happy:

#8 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

What about voting CB? You have an opinion on that?

#9 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

Place voting seems simple and fair to me. A game with many 2nd place votes should win over a game with only a little 1st place votes, so place voting gets my vote.

#10 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7516 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Lol! Thats what I get for recycling the old topic... Fixed!

Poor Mark's reputation is intact. He still doesn't know what day it is. :tongue: Somebody give this poor guy a calendar.

Game A - score += 1/1
Game B - score += 1/4
Game C - score += 1/3
Game D - score += 1/2
Game E - score += 1/5

This system produces a narrower and narrower spread as you drop from 1st place. So place winners at the lower levels (4th and 5th place) get nearly the same count.

Maybe consider a traditional Borda Count. 1st place get 5 points, 2nd place gets 4 points, 3rd place get 3 points.... 5th place gets 1 point. Always a 1-point difference between levels.

This makes it easier for lower-place games to advance in rank (even overtake higher-place games) with multiple votes. Of course, you may not want that... So each system has its advantages and disadvantages.

Just another scheme to think about.

Edited by chance, 21 October 2011 - 11:54 AM.

#11 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

In the other topic that was suggested too... We had 57 games (I think!) and so 1st place would get 57 points, and last place would get 1. To be honest, I have no personal preference as to which system we use as long as everyone is agreed, but it should be noted that these systems choose a winner based on consensus rather than on majority and this may be a sticking point for some people! I mean, if your game gets 10 first place votes and is beaten by one that has none (but 20 second place votes) then that may not go down too well... It may seem a bit like declaring the most mediocre the winner rather than the best.

#12 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1869 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

This system produces a narrower and narrower spread as you drop from 1st place. So place winners at the lower levels (4th and 5th place) get nearly the same count.

This is at it should be. The difference between first and second place should be a big deal. The first guy is the winner, after all! The difference between fourth and fifth? Who gives a crud.

I would like the fraction system if only because it gives me an excuse to write a class for fractional numbers used in the vote-tallying program I'll make.

#13 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

1. Game A
2. Game B
3. Game C

In this scenario, A would get 1, B would get 2 and C would get 3. Then, at the end, the lowest score wins. That's best in my opinion.

#14 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4041 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

The 1/vote method would be best in this situation. After all, I suggested it. ;)

#15 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7516 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

This is at it should be. The difference between first and second place should be a big deal. The first guy is the winner, after all! The difference between fourth and fifth?This is at it should be. The difference between first and second place should be a big deal. The first guy is the winner, after all! The difference between fourth and fifth? Who gives a crud.

My point about the narrowing difference for lower-placing games was that it's harder for them to "catch up" by getting multiple votes. Whereas the traditional Borda Count -- with constant integer differences between places -- makes it easier for lower-placing games to overtake the higher-placing games if they get many votes.

It's a system that favors games that have "broad appeal" to lots of voters, over games that get some 1st place votes, but aren't that popular across the board.

Just another way to do things.

#16 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1898 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

i'll be sure to finish studying for my tests before that .. i have tests in the next two weeks Posted Image .. i've always wanted to join the jam :)

any way my opinions goes so :

Should we stick with SSE voting? i believe yes
Can you submit two or more entries? Nope
Better method to present the games? A linked list, zip, other? (HAS TO BE ON THE GMC) have a list with the maker name and a link to his gmc game topic next to it
Should all games have an obligatory f1 information page? i prefer so :)

Edited by ahmed # elyamani, 21 October 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#17 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1236 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Are we allowed to team up with non-gmc members like my brother, we make a good team

#18 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1869 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

1. Game A
2. Game B
3. Game C

In this scenario, A would get 1, B would get 2 and C would get 3. Then, at the end, the lowest score wins. That's best in my opinion.

How do you treat games nobody votes for?

#19 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

My point about the narrowing difference for lower-placing games was that it's harder for them to "catch up" by getting multiple votes. Whereas the traditional Borda Count -- with constant integer differences between places -- makes it easier for lower-placing games to overtake the higher-placing games if they get many votes.

It's a system that favors games that have "broad appeal" to lots of voters, over games that get some 1st place votes, but aren't that popular across the board.

Just another way to do things.

That's a good point... It makes things a bit more rewqarding for those that maybe don't score too high.

Are we allowed to team up with non-gmc members like my brother, we make a good team

Of course! You can team up with whoever you wish...

#20 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

I have confirmed that Yoyo will happily sponor this event and have offered prizes :

• 1st place gets A Yoyo Coupon for the latest version of GM:HTML5 (and a T_shirt and a Yoyo)!!!!
  • 3rd Place a Yoyo

The top three will also get coverage in the official Yoyo news so all GM users will get to see your masterpiece. I can only say a heartfelt "THANK YOU" to those at Yoyo for their continued support of the GMC Jam (and this Community) and for giving such a generous prize this time around...

#21 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8299 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

Not so much a point about the scoring, but about the tabulating and publishing of the games afterward, so it does relate to the current discussion.

In the last Jam all the games and their relative scores were published. People could easily see the "worst" game by score count. Being known as the worst game or one of the worst games has no redeeming qualities.

No matter what scoring system you ultimately choose, when the results are calculated, pick some arbitrary value, and post only their scores. Perhaps the top 50%.

Of course, this doesn't stop others from calculating the scores themselves to determine the poorest scoring games, but don't do the job for them.

#22 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Not so much a point about the scoring, but about the tabulating and publishing of the games afterward, so it does relate to the current discussion.

In the last Jam all the games and their relative scores were published. People could easily see the "worst" game by score count. Being known as the worst game or one of the worst games has no redeeming qualities.

No matter what scoring system you ultimately choose, when the results are calculated, pick some arbitrary value, and post only their scores. Perhaps the top 50%.

Of course, this doesn't stop others from calculating the scores themselves to determine the poorest scoring games, but don't do the job for them.

Interesting point... Obviously, noone wants to come in last, so maybe just posting the "top ten"? Or those that get above a specific threshhold of points? I think this is a good point and we shall certainly do this as I don't want to leave anyone feeling disheartened after what should (ideally) be a fun and entertaining event!

#23 mads2194

mads2194

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

1. Game A
2. Game B
3. Game C

But we want bigger things, not smaller things ::lmao::

I stick with the integer points. After all, 1 and 2 are just 1/5 * 5 and 2/5 * 5.

#24 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1898 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

I have confirmed that Yoyo will happily sponor this event and have offered prizes :

• 1st place gets A Yoyo Coupon for the latest version of GM:HTML5 (and a T_shirt and a Yoyo)!!!!
  • 3rd Place a Yoyo

The top three will also get coverage in the official Yoyo news so all GM users will get to see your masterpiece. I can only say a heartfelt "THANK YOU" to those at Yoyo for their continued support of the GMC Jam (and this Community) and for giving such a generous prize this time around...

is this 100% real ? this would be awesome , and i may not study for my exams to win this jam Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

• 3rd Place a Yoyo

is this 100% real ? this would be awesome , and i may not study for my exams to win this jam Posted ImagePosted Image

Yes it is a 100% genuine prize offered by Yoyo. BUT if you are going to flunk your exams just to participate I don't think you should... There's always the Winter Jam in January!!!

#26 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1898 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

Yes it is a 100% genuine prize offered by Yoyo. BUT if you are going to flunk your exams just to participate I don't think you should... There's always the Winter Jam in January!!!

don't worry it's not something serious :P (flunk) is not the right word :) , also i've never joined jam before so i don't know how will it look :( .. i can't even think of what kind of graphics should i make now to have'em ready Posted Image

#27 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:07 PM

Careful with the pre-preparation! Noone knows the theme yet, so maybe you decide to make a set of zombie sprites and the the theme is "anything but zombies"... And remember : The Jam is about creativity and ideas with less emphasis on polish and graphics and more on how fun the game/concept is and how well it fits the choosen theme. Oh, and the spirit of the Jam is to wait until the day to start!!! Although you can use engines/scripts/pre-made resources etc etc etc... in your game without any problem.

#28 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1898 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Careful with the pre-preparation! Noone knows the theme yet, so maybe you decide to make a set of zombie sprites and the the theme is "anything but zombies"... And remember : The Jam is about creativity and ideas with less emphasis on polish and graphics and more on how fun the game/concept is and how well it fits the choosen theme. Oh, and the spirit of the Jam is to wait until the day to start!!! Although you can use engines/scripts/pre-made resources etc etc etc... in your game without any problem.

i'll be sure to wait :) , i'll just make some scripts to use , and will draw some menus , buttons , backgrounds for the game , and if they doesn't fit it'll be okay as i always enjoy drawing things :)

#29 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

Trying to guess the theme... Marilyn Manson almost fits :P

Anywho, I won't be entering, but I'll still be making a game with the theme within the set timeframe. Good luck to all those entering!

EDIT: Would "crossword win" be the theme? :P

Edited by theg721, 21 October 2011 - 06:21 PM.

#30 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7516 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

Sorry man, but your brother already said he'd team with me. :whistle:

Trying to guess the theme...

Let's see... 12 letters? A Halloween theme?

The theme is obviously "hollow wiener".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users