#1 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

0gy0qvv.png

GameMaker 8.0, 8.1 or GM:Studio required. JavaScript exports aren't currently supported.

GameMaker Server?
GameMaker Server is a GameMaker extension which allows you to create online highscores, achievements, statistics, and *of course* mutliplayer games. It contains both GML scripts and D&D actions, you you do not necessarily need to know GML. The server is hosted by me, so no port forwarding is required.

More info can be found on the site. Feel free to ask if you encounter any problems. smile.gifDownload:
GameMaker Server Update 1.7 (0,3 MB)

Edited by size43, 04 May 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#2 haloflooder

haloflooder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:12 AM

This is a great extension! The examples worked great but when I put it into my project, it doesn't work properly. This is what happens.

Whenever I click the login button. The login code is executed. But when the login code is executed (I tried both D&D and GML) everything in the room just disappears and the player spawns in the top left corner and fall down and die. When I take out the code, that doesn't happen. Also, the "Open the site to register an account" doesn't work, game starts up with an error. Please help me!

#3 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

Whenever I click the login button. The login code is executed. But when the login code is executed (I tried both D&D and GML) everything in the room just disappears and the player spawns in the top left corner and fall down and die. When I take out the code, that doesn't happen.

The login window does use instance_deactivate_all to pause all other objects, but it should activate them when logged in. When you add instance_activate_all() at the end of your code, does it work?

Also, the "Open the site to register an account" doesn't work, game starts up with an error. Please help me!

Which error? The action does link to an old webpage that doesn't exists anymore, so I fixed it. But that shouldn't give an error.

Also, Update 7 is coming next week:
-Highscores
-A D&D draw other player's healthbar-action
-Option to rename your server
-Opton to add metadata (title, url, description, version) to your game. This isn't used yet, though.

And update 8 will most likely have an auto-update option.

#4 haloflooder

haloflooder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

Whenever I click the login button. The login code is executed. But when the login code is executed (I tried both D&D and GML) everything in the room just disappears and the player spawns in the top left corner and fall down and die. When I take out the code, that doesn't happen.

The login window does use instance_deactivate_all to pause all other objects, but it should activate them when logged in. When you add instance_activate_all() at the end of your code, does it work?

Ok, so I added "instance_activate_all()" at the end of the code, the objects in the menu doesn't disappear anymore BUT the player object still spawns in the top left corner and falls down. BTW, the player object is the very first object in the object list.

Also, the "Open the site to register an account" doesn't work, game starts up with an error. Please help me!

Which error? The action does link to an old webpage that doesn't exists anymore, so I fixed it. But that shouldn't give an error.

Game maker says the code "server_open_register_site()" doesn't exist. I even tried to use the D&D but it didn't work so I used "splash_show_web("http://gamemakerserv...tk/register/",0)" for now

#5 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

Ok, so I added "instance_activate_all()" at the end of the code, the objects in the menu doesn't disappear anymore BUT the player object still spawns in the top left corner and falls down. BTW, the player object is the very first object in the object list.

From which object and which event are you calling the login function? Also you shouldn't place any code after the login action, it won't execute :)

Game maker says the code "server_open_register_site()" doesn't exist. I even tried to use the D&D but it didn't work so I used "splash_show_web("http://gamemakerserv...tk/register/",0)" for now

That's my bad, I actually forgot to add it to the list in the Extension Maker :P It will be fixed in update 7.

Edit: And Update 7 will not use this login system anymore. It's way too complex. I am going to replace it with an twitter-like authentication :)

Edited by size43, 20 October 2011 - 02:47 PM.

#6 haloflooder

haloflooder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

From which object and which event are you calling the login function? Also you shouldn't place any code after the login action, it won't execute :)

I'm using the login button. Basically a sprite that says login and when you click it, it asks if you registered before, if you click no then it'll call the splash-website and if you did, the login screen should pop up. I didn't place any code after the login action either.

That's my bad, I actually forgot to add it to the list in the Extension Maker :P It will be fixed in update 7.

Edit: And Update 7 will not use this login system anymore. It's way too complex. I am going to replace it with an twitter-like authentication :)

Figured. lol
Twitter like auth? Please explain. Sounds interesting. :smile:

Edited by haloflooder, 20 October 2011 - 02:52 PM.

#7 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

I'm using the login button. Basically a sprite that says login and when you click it, it asks if you registered before, if you click no then it'll call the splash-website and if you did, the login screen should pop up. I didn't place any code after the login action either.

It's the same I use in all my games. I don't see whats going wrong :o
You are using a room-goto in user defined event 15, aren't you?

Figured. lol
Twitter like auth? Please explain. Sounds interesting. :smile:

I think it's actually called OAuth: You'll be redirected to an login-webpage, you log in, and you click "allow game to use my account" instead of using a 10-char code. But it's going to be even better in Update 8, but I'm not going to tell anything about that yet (sorry, teaser :P )

#8 haloflooder

haloflooder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Actually, I didn't know I have to add that. Ok, I added it and the problem still exists and the log in screen doesn't pop up. Can you check my project file? I'll upload the file after i get home.

#9 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

Actually, I didn't know I have to add that. Ok, I added it and the problem still exists and the log in screen doesn't pop up.

It should work without, I thought I used it in all my examples, but I didn't :)

Can you check my project file? I'll upload the file after i get home.

Of course I can, just send me an PM :)

#10 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

Update 7

I've worked very hard this week, to get this done. It's the biggest update ever made, with 8 new D&D actions, 8 bugfixes and 9 new functions.

Release notes / Changelist:

Volledige lijst:
-Developers can rename games
-Option to change your password
-web authentication: No annoying codes anymore
-Online highscores
-Game showcase framework (Coming in update 8)
-View highscores on site
-Online INI's to save the player's progress to his account
-SPC/Dead reconing: No "lag" in games anymore.
-Password reset option

Bugs:
-The login-window freezes for 3 seconds and then asks needless for a code
-Can't chat when having 2 views
-Game asks for code when logging in
-Checking master, local, and global variables doesn't work in Drag & Drop
-Synced instances aren't show when first room has index 0
-You can add yourself to the admin list

New D&D actions:
-D&D player has account
-D&D write ini
-D&D text ini
-D&D delete ini
-D&D draw highcore
-D&D add highscore
-D&D draw name
-D&D draw self

Download (0,37 MB, 2 examples, 1 gex)

Edited by size43, 28 October 2011 - 08:23 AM.

#11 klek

klek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

Very good ext, but what about having a local server? I test it out whit the examples and it really lag alot whit people very away from the actually server.

So, my idea is create a server and customize where the client going to find that server.

And what about a UDP conection? I know it actually is TCP, but i dont work good whit game where the connection stream must be high.

Thanks for you work!

#12 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

Very good ext, but what about having a local server? I test it out whit the examples and it really lag alot whit people very away from the actually server.

So, my idea is create a server and customize where the client going to find that server.

And what about a UDP connection? I know it actually is TCP, but i don't work good whit game where the connection stream must be high.

Thanks for you work!

Thanks for your reaction! The problem with having multiple servers is that the account system is integrated deeply into the server application and the PHP website (Originally the server application had it's own GML-parser to display the web pages, so the accounts were saved with the server application). This makes it very hard to run multiple servers, but still maintain all the accounts, saved highscores and INI's.
I know it would be great to have multiple servers, but it requires a lot of work. Separating the account data and the actual server application still seems to be a good idea since it will improve both website speed and server stability. I may try to do this in the future (which means there will eventually be multiple servers too), but I am not going to promise anything :)

UDP connections seems to be a good idea. I never really considered using something else and I don't know whether it's actually going to work with my current server application, but I am definitely going to try it. (Update 8?) :)

My current plan for update 8:
-Friends
-Auto-update
-Notifications ("x requests you as a friend", "friend asks to play game x", "x logged in to game y, click here to play", "play game x now vs player y")
-Game promotion/spotlight on site
-UDP (?)
-1vs1 or 2vs2 multiplayer

#13 Dendail

Dendail

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:40 AM

And what about a UDP connection? I know it actually is TCP, but i don't work good whit game where the connection stream must be high.

Thanks for you work!

Thanks for your reaction! The problem with having multiple servers is that the account system is integrated deeply into the server application and the PHP website (Originally the server application had it's own GML-parser to display the web pages, so the accounts were saved with the server application). This makes it very hard to run multiple servers, but still maintain all the accounts, saved highscores and INI's.
I know it would be great to have multiple servers, but it requires a lot of work. Separating the account data and the actual server application still seems to be a good idea since it will improve both website speed and server stability. I may try to do this in the future (which means there will eventually be multiple servers too), but I am not going to promise anything :)

UDP connections seems to be a good idea. I never really considered using something else and I don't know whether it's actually going to work with my current server application, but I am definitely going to try it. (Update 8?) :)

My current plan for update 8:
-Friends
-Auto-update
-Notifications ("x requests you as a friend", "friend asks to play game x", "x logged in to game y, click here to play", "play game x now vs player y")
-Game promotion/spotlight on site
-UDP (?)
-1vs1 or 2vs2 multiplayer

I can't seem to connect. :(
Your examples work perfectly fine but if I try it in my own games I can't get past the log in screen.
Also I was wondering if it is possible to have the first player to log in control controller1 & the 2nd player control controller2?

#14 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Your examples work perfectly fine but if I try it in my own games I can't get past the log in screen.

You'll need to register yourself as a developer and register your game's gameID (Global Game Settings > Loading > Game Identifier). This is used to properly separate all the different game sessions running at the same time :)

Also I was wondering if it is possible to have the first player to log in control controller1 & the 2nd player control controller2?

The current system uses "Player object" for the player you can control and "Other player object" for all the other players. If you just have 2 players, you could use this to have the players control different objects.

If you want to have more than 2 players online at the same time, you could use server_num_players and server_player_get to loop through the full list of players. But I guess that isn't what you want?

#15 Dendail

Dendail

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

You'll need to register yourself as a developer and register your game's gameID (Global Game Settings > Loading > Game Identifier). This is used to properly separate all the different game sessions running at the same time :)

The current system uses "Player object" for the player you can control and "Other player object" for all the other players. If you just have 2 players, you could use this to have the players control different objects.

If you want to have more than 2 players online at the same time, you could use server_num_players and server_player_get to loop through the full list of players. But I guess that isn't what you want?

Alright good news is my login works but the bad news is both players goes into two separate games. >.<
EDIT: Also is it possible for when there is one player to have that player go to a waiting screen until there is a 2nd player? And one more thing if there is say 3+ players have them paired off into separate matches?

Edited by Dendail, 05 November 2011 - 05:03 PM.

#16 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

Alright good news is my login works but the bad news is both players goes into two separate games. >.<

Which name did you use to login?

EDIT: Also is it possible for when there is one player to have that player go to a waiting screen until there is a 2nd player? And one more thing if there is say 3+ players have them paired off into separate matches?

I am working on that right now, so expect it to be in Update 8,9 or 10 (See below).
A workaround can be made by using the advanced mode, and handling player login/logouts yourself. It requires a lot of GML, thats the reason why I am implementing it right in to the extension. :)

Update 8 is not going as fast as I hoped, so I am considering splitting it into 3 different parts. I am not sure where to split the list though.

The current list of new features:
-Autoupdate
-Friends
-Notifictions ("x requests you as a friend", "friend asks to play game x", "x logged in to game y, click here to play", "play game x now vs player y")
-(UDP?)
-Level/game data
-Game overview/spotlight
-1 vs 1 / 2 vs 2 / 3 vs 3 =>VS Mode
-SPC/ADR enhancements
-Speed improvement (I called it the 4D-packet, providing faster sending/receiving of speed & direction)

#17 Dendail

Dendail

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

I am working on that right now, so expect it to be in Update 8,9 or 10 (See below).
A workaround can be made by using the advanced mode, and handling player login/logouts yourself. It requires a lot of GML, thats the reason why I am implementing it right in to the extension. :)

Update 8 is not going as fast as I hoped, so I am considering splitting it into 3 different parts. I am not sure where to split the list though.

-Autoupdate
-Friends
-Notifictions ("x requests you as a friend", "friend asks to play game x", "x logged in to game y, click here to play", "play game x now vs player y")
-(UDP?)
-Level/game data
-Game overview/spotlight
-SPC/ADR enhancements
-Speed improvement (I called it the 4D-packet, providing faster sending/receiving of speed & direction)

I used two separate names for the players. I also tried using my registered name to see if it works but sadly it did not.

#18 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

-Autoupdate
-Friends
-(UDP?)
-Level/game data
-Game overview/spotlight
-SPC/ADR enhancements

I used two separate names for the players. I also tried using my registered name to see if it works but sadly it did not.

Which names? I can use them to look up the right place in the log file and check whether anything is going wrong :)

#19 Dendail

Dendail

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

-Autoupdate
-Friends
-(UDP?)
-Level/game data
-Game overview/spotlight
-SPC/ADR enhancements

Which names? I can use them to look up the right place in the log file and check whether anything is going wrong :)

Macy & Joseph are the two I normally use.

#20 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

The server seemed to constantly fail to send data to your computer, so I restarted the server. Could you check whether you are still having the same problem?

#21 Dendail

Dendail

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:10 AM

The server seemed to constantly fail to send data to your computer, so I restarted the server. Could you check whether you are still having the same problem?

Sorry for the late reply I had to work. Um same issue unfortunately but I did get some new occurrence that may assist you.

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Begin Step Event
for object __newobject37:

To run this script, you need to be connected to the server!

Just to note that object doesn't exist in my library.

Just a little suggestion for your project here. I know this is sort of against the point but since a lot of people prefer gml is there any chance you could add the gml equivalent in a help file?

#22 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

Sorry for the late reply I had to work. Um same issue unfortunately but I did get some new occurrence that may assist you.

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Begin Step Event
for object __newobject37:

To run this script, you need to be connected to the server!

Just to note that object doesn't exist in my library.

Well, I guess we're in different time zones. I just woke up :P
Anyway, the server kicks you because the client didn't react for more than 10 seconds. __newobject37 is one of the objects created by the extension to manage the connection, players etc. So it's a "normal" error.

I know some other people are having the same problem. Your suggestion "the bad news is both players goes into two separate games" made me think the ping kick isn't the actual problem. Unfortunately the error seems to be computer-specific. So have not been able to reproduce the error, which makes debugging very difficult. Since you are not the only one having this error, I may be able to get enough information to fix it.

Could you please do the following:
-Check whether the examples cause the same error?
-Check whether you are also getting kicked (D&D: Check whether connected to server) when you are logged in with just one account?
-Run the game in debug mode and send me/post the "debugXXXX.log" file?
-Tell me which names you have used and when you logged in, so I can check the log files?
-Which version of windows you are using? And which firewall you are using?
-Are you using a router?

I will compare your results with the results of others, and hopefully find an solution.
Sorry for the inconvenience :(

#23 Clanker2212

Clanker2212

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

Can you make a video on how to set up a server and how to get other people join it?

#24 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

Can you make a video on how to set up a server and how to get other people join it?

The whole point of this extension is that you don't need to set up a server, forward ports, etc. This extension handles all the joining/chatting/logging in/logging out itself. :)

#25 Clanker2212

Clanker2212

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

I keep getting a error when i click Ask the player to login

#26 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

I keep getting a error when i click Ask the player to login

Which error?

#27 Dendail

Dendail

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

-Check whether the examples cause the same error? No error when I run it.
-Check whether you are also getting kicked (D&D: Check whether connected to server) when you are logged in with just one account? From inactivity you mean? I did with my game.
-Run the game in debug mode and send me/post the "debugXXXX.log" file? I hope you meant from my game. http://www.mediafire...1ud95vbe88xi82c
-Tell me which names you have used and when you logged in, so I can check the log files? Using a single name this time I used Macy. Second time I used hunter & ranger. I also want to know the chat works fine but everything else is like playing two different games.
-Which version of windows you are using? And which firewall you are using? Windows Vista & I have the default firewall.
-Are you using a router? Yes I am also on wireless if that helps.

#28 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

-Check whether the examples cause the same error? No error when I run it.
-Check whether you are also getting kicked (D&D: Check whether connected to server) when you are logged in with just one account? From inactivity you mean? I did with my game.
-Run the game in debug mode and send me/post the "debugXXXX.log" file? I hope you meant from my game. http://www.mediafire...1ud95vbe88xi82c
-Tell me which names you have used and when you logged in, so I can check the log files? Using a single name this time I used Macy. Second time I used hunter & ranger. I also want to know the chat works fine but everything else is like playing two different games.
-Which version of windows you are using? And which firewall you are using? Windows Vista & I have the default firewall.
-Are you using a router? Yes I am also on wireless if that helps.

So you are actually able to stay in the game until you login with a second player? Or does logging in with multiple accounts not directly affect being kicked?

Did you actually use the chat? There haven't been sent any chat messages while you were logged in?

Did you login while in debug mode? The log file indicates that there has been no connection with the server after the extension initiated.

When I know what triggers the server or client to stop sending data, I can easily fix it. I just need to find out what causes this problem. :)

#29 hwasser

hwasser

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hi, I have a problem with updating or deleting this extension (using version 6, want to upgrade to version 7). It says "list out of bounds" when trying to delete the extension from game maker. I have set all the game maker executives to "run as admin" in the game maker root folder and I am opening a blank game when I trying to do this. Anyone have any clue about how to fix this?

And this Game Maker Server dont run so smooth on the platform example. The characters are moving really laggy and fall through floors until the move_contact_solid is executed :P

#30 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

Hi, I have a problem with updating or deleting this extension (using version 6, want to upgrade to version 7). It says "list out of bounds" when trying to delete the extension from game maker. I have set all the game maker executives to "run as admin" in the game maker root folder and I am opening a blank game when I trying to do this. Anyone have any clue about how to fix this?

You could try to remove the files directly instead of using GameMaker. The GameMaker Server files should be in one of these folders: "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\GameMaker8.1\extensions" "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalNow\GameMaker8.1\extensions" "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker8.1\extensions"

If it still doesn't work, you could use an GML-only version of this extension. (Update 8 contains a proper GML-only version, but I can make one now as well. I can't guarantee everything works properly, though)

And this Game Maker Server dont run so smooth on the platform example. The characters are moving really laggy and fall through floors until the move_contact_solid is executed :P

I've made some improvements in version 7. I added a simple function for Smooth Position Correction. Instead of syncing hspeed and vspeed, it syncs where the player walked to. So the other clients calculate how the player walked by themselves. :)

I am trying to release update 8 as soon as possible. Yeah, I know, I should have finished it yesterday, but I had to make "Surprises" for "sinterklaas" (I don't think there's actually an english wordt for that). So expect update 8 to come next week or so (december the 18th?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users