• GM Version: :GM81:
  • File Type: .zip
  • File Size: 59.4 MB
  • File Link: Download Here
  • Required Extensions:
  • Required DLLs: GMZ.dll, Max WinApi.dll
Summary
This is another 3D Terrain Editor engine. Things you can do with it:

• Paint textures on the terrain. You can easily add new available textures by pasting them in the Textures folder.
  • Change the height of the terrain. You can create mountains or deep holes.
  • A smooth tool which lets you smooth areas of the terrain.
  • Change the size and the intensity of the tool and cycle through circular and rectangular tool for precision.
  • You can change the size of the terrain when creating a new one (small,medium,large,extra large)
  • You can also change the quality of the terrain when creating a new one to choose between performance and quality.
  • You can export the whole terrain texture and even import a new one. This is useful since not only it lets you set any image you find as the texture
    of the terrain but also edit the texture of the terrain in any other image-editing software and then import it back in.
  • Supports heightmaps, you can use any image as a heightmap and change the height of the terrain. An API Panel
    let's you choose the height value when loading the heightmap, invert the heightmap and more. You can even export the terrain's heightmap.
  • API Panels let you customize how you edit the terrain.
  • Has terrain depth which means the edges of the terrain don't make the terrain seem that it was just cut.
  • And of course, save the terrain map in one file as .tpter with an average size of 1.5MB or load an already saved one.
    (You can quick save and quick load with Ctrl+S and Ctrl+L respectively)
  • You can also use 'Open With' on the map files or drag them over the .exe to load them directly.
  • I included an example inside the zip file which shows how to load the maps in your game.
  • You can reduce the value of textureSize (in .ini file) if you want to reduce the size of your saved maps.
  • Enter First-Person-Shooter mode to view the terrain in close-look. Looks much better with high resolution textures.
  • Export a mini-map of the terrain. Useful if you are making a strategy game.
  • Add layers (such as water) at any point on the terrain. (NEW)
  • Build your own layers with the 'Layer Builder.exe' which is included. (NEW)

If you are using this for an RTS then 256x256 textures will do but for types of games that have a closer view such as RPG and FPS you may want to use 512x512 textures. I've included some 512x512 textures that I've found over the web. Just replace the new folder with the old folder (Textures) and don't forget to change the value of textureSize in the .ini file to 512. High resolution textures make the terrain look more realistic but the file size of saved maps increases.
Here is how it looks with 512x512 textures in FPS mode.

Here is a video demonstrating the import of heightmaps and textures as well as the new feature of adding layers. The results are amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztCZUSz3J9M&lc=hSDL0HCqPHhGtde4uG0sxGCcT30VtxOrplGU0A_ZpPM&feature=inbox

You DO NOT have to credit me if you use this, not even for commercial purposes.  Keep in mind that the textures used as well as the required DLLs are not mine. Also the script for calculating mouse coordinates on a 3D plane is made by 'Yourself'.

If you have any questions please post here :)
I hope people find this helpful

Edited by loverock125, 23 April 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#2 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

Looks great!Can this be used with GM 8.0

#3 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

Looks great!Can this be used with GM 8.0

Thank you for the reply :) I haven't tried but it should work.

#4 eafg2

eafg2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

This is a really good start; however here is some suggestion for future versions
1. be able to control the alpha value for the textures.
2. Better control over the size of the brush, the size can be a problem as it looks like now. Maybe you should add you so you can add a custom value for the size.
3. Drop down menu for the textures, the arrows can be a real pain if you have lots of different textures. (Or maybe an extra window for it)
4. A mountain tool.
5. A road tool, I tried with the flat tool but it didn't work to well.
6. A skybox would be nice.
7. To be able to import custom object to the scene.
8. Add "get_z" script for the example. (Maybe I just couldn't find it)
9. If you add a mountain tool you should add "Random Fallout". Meaning it add random tops within the brush.
10. be able to change the icons and background color.
11. To be able to set a minus value. With other words be able to subtract from the terrain.
Else Good Work.

#5 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

Thank you very much for the reply and the great feedback! I appreciate it :)

1. be able to control the alpha value for the textures.
2. Better control over the size of the brush, the size can be a problem as it looks like now. Maybe you should add you so you can add a custom value for the size.

Do you mean input a number for these two? Because you can change the alpha and the size by sliding the sliders at the bottom left part of the screen.

4. A mountain tool.

What's the difference of a mountain tool with the change height tool I've put?:P

3. Drop down menu for the textures, the arrows can be a real pain if you have lots of different textures. (Or maybe an extra window for it)

This is a great idea, I'm working on it :)

5. A road tool, I tried with the flat tool but it didn't work to well.

Basically a road tool would be the same as a flat tool but you choose at what height to stop, am I right? I thought about this as well if that's what you mean.

6. A skybox would be nice.

I could implement a skybox but some users may want to use their own sky. This is the same reason why I didn't implement a water/lake system as well.

7. To be able to import custom object to the scene.

I'm about to do that, but the custom object wouldn't have any model or interaction with the terrain. Basically you'll be choosing the name of the object, placing it over the
terrain somewhere, and when you load the map in your game create an instance of that object if it exists in your game.

8. Add "get_z" script for the example. (Maybe I just couldn't find it)

It is getTerrainHeight(x,y). :)

9. If you add a mountain tool you should add "Random Fallout". Meaning it add random tops within the brush.

This is a great idea as well : )

10. be able to change the icons and background color.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean with 'icons' but in the next version you'll be able to change the background color.

11. To be able to set a minus value. With other words be able to subtract from the terrain.

You can do that by holding the right mouse button instead of the left one. And when loading heightmaps you have the option to invert the heightmap.

This was one of the best feedback list I've ever received : D
Thank you eafg2 :)

#6 eafg2

eafg2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

http://imageshack.us/f/208/helpgm.png/
http://imageshack.us/f/11/helpgm2.png/
Check these two pictures for deeper explanation of my feedback.

#7 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

http://imageshack.us/f/208/helpgm.png/
http://imageshack.us/f/11/helpgm2.png/
Check these two pictures for deeper explanation of my feedback.

I understand the mountain tool, be sure I'll include it in the next version :)
However I can't see why someone would want to change the icons ;p

And I don't understand why your tool is so big, take a look at mine, this is the smaller it can get:
(Yes it's so small you actually can't notice it : D)
Posted Image

Thanks again : )

#8 DuncanBell

DuncanBell

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Great work!

My only gripe is the fact that the brush tool doesnt seem to be changing size correctly on my PC (windows 7).
Perhaps you could put in an option to change the intensity and brush size numerically? Or even have a shortcut to increment it a set amount, like Photoshop?

#9 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Great work!

My only gripe is the fact that the brush tool doesnt seem to be changing size correctly on my PC (windows 7).
Perhaps you could put in an option to change the intensity and brush size numerically? Or even have a shortcut to increment it a set amount, like Photoshop?

Thank you for the reply DuncanBell!

I'm trying to fix it right now but I'm not sure what the problem is, it works on my PC. Can I ask what your screen resolution is please?

#10 jhett6

jhett6

GMC Member

• 54 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:28 AM

does it export as a height map???? if not please add that in!!!!

#11 DuncanBell

DuncanBell

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

I'm trying to fix it right now but I'm not sure what the problem is, it works on my PC. Can I ask what your screen resolution is please?

I am running it at 1920x1200

#12 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

does it export as a height map???? if not please add that in!!!!

Never thought someone would need to export as a height map but I'll upload a new version that includes that. Thank you for the feedback : )

I am running it at 1920x1200

Thank you for the information, this could be the problem and I should be able to fix it now. : )

#13 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Member
  • 15799 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

you need a smooth tool

#14 Schyler

Schyler

Noskcirderf Derf

• GMC Member
  • 2678 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

No credit to Master Xilo? You seem to be using his editor interface.. (?)

#15 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

you need a smooth tool

I'm currently working on this one too. Thank you for the feedback : )

No credit to Master Xilo? You seem to be using his editor interface.. (?)

I didn't copy anything so that means I shouldn't be giving credit, does it?

It's only the idea of the interface. I just had in my mind those sliders.

Edited by loverock125, 11 October 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#16 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:50 PM

Removed the sliders and added an API Panel for the tool preferences. This should fix the problem that some people seemed to be having and also included an option to input your own values for the size and the intensity of the tool. Additionally since this is an API Panel you are able to drag it anywhere you want.

Furthermore I added the ability to export the heightmap of the terrain. Note that if you export the heightmap and then import it right after there's a big chance that the heights won't be the same. This is because it doesn't save the height values (you should save the terrain for that). When importing your own heightmap you should consider what height value you should input if you want it to have the same heights as when you exported it.

Currently working on a smooth tool.

Edited by loverock125, 12 October 2011 - 10:19 PM.

#17 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:18 PM

Added a smooth tool and the ability to enter FPS mode for closer looks.

Any other feedback would be appreciated, I really need to make this tool better.

Thanks again

#18 doggyman

doggyman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 101 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hello

I begon to use this tool today. I made a map, and I want to save it, but I receive this message error
ERROR in
action number 2
of Draw Event
for object oController:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

How do I fix that?
thanks to answer^^
see ya ;)

#19 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

Hello

I begon to use this tool today. I made a map, and I want to save it, but I receive this message error
ERROR in
action number 2
of Draw Event
for object oController:

How do I fix that?
thanks to answer^^
see ya ;)

It shouldn't be a problem with the file since I'm not getting this error nor anyone else.

I'm not entirely sure what could cause this problem but may I ask how much ram does your pc have?

#20 doggyman

doggyman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 101 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:25 AM

1.99 gb of ram

#21 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Member
  • 15799 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:21 AM

It shouldn't be a problem with the file since I'm not getting this error nor anyone else.

I'm not entirely sure what could cause this problem but may I ask how much ram does your pc have?

If you are not checking the validity of the surface every time you use it and don't recreate it when it goes bad on you, you will get the error. Alt Tab out of the game for example... Or stay idle until the screen saver pops up.

//before using it
if(!exists(surf)) //first time or lost it
{
surf = create_surface(512,512) //create/re-create it
if(!exists(surf)) //really fail (not supported or too large)
{
Message "I cant do it anymore"
game_end();
exit;
}
}

use it

#22 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

If you are not checking the validity of the surface every time you use it and don't recreate it when it goes bad on you, you will get the error. Alt Tab out of the game for example... Or stay idle until the screen saver pops up.

//before using it
if(!exists(surf)) //first time or lost it
{
surf = create_surface(512,512) //create/re-create it
if(!exists(surf)) //really fail (not supported or too large)
{
Message "I cant do it anymore"
game_end();
exit;
}
}

use it

I see where the problem is. Thank you for pointing it out.

I'll fix it immediately.

#23 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hello

ERROR in
action number 2
of Draw Event
for object oController:

How do I fix that?
thanks to answer^^
see ya ;)

Are you still getting that error or was it the usual Screen Saver error?

I uploaded another version of the Terrestrial Perfection.exe which saves the surfaces to sprites and every time they don't exist when they should they are re-created using the sprite.
This reduces performance when drawing on the terrain (because it saves the sprite) and it may also increase loading time.

Here is the new version. (It's only the exe, just replace it with the original exe)
Could you confirm that this version works? (If you are still getting that error)

Thank you

#24 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

New Version:

• Fixed a bug that was causing buttons to be pressed even if they weren't (only released)
  • Added the ability to export a mini-map of your terrain. This is very useful if you are making an RTS game.

Edited by loverock125, 19 October 2011 - 10:19 PM.

#25 jhett6

jhett6

GMC Member

• 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

Heyy.... I have even more feedback for you.... i've been noticing errors occuring often when I use the load or export tools. I am forced to abort and lose all my work.... See what you can do on that.... and, also see if you can make an obj export option thx!!! PM me when You release the next version!!!

#26 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:12 AM

Heyy.... I have even more feedback for you.... i've been noticing errors occuring often when I use the load or export tools. I am forced to abort and lose all my work.... See what you can do on that.... and, also see if you can make an obj export option thx!!! PM me when You release the next version!!!

I've tried it countless times and I don't get any error. Do you mind posting what error you are getting? That would really help me find the problem. I'm sorry for the lost of your work.
What do you mean obj export option? Export the terrain as an .obj model?

#27 jhett6

jhett6

GMC Member

• 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

yes, I do mean save as obj model file. You should also a add a quality option to the obj export so it can have high polys or very low, or in between.

here is the error I got when trying to export the texture map (this error happened on other exports and imports too):

for object oController:

#28 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

yes, I do mean save as obj model file. You should also a add a quality option to the obj export so it can have high polys or very low, or in between.

here is the error I got when trying to export the texture map (this error happened on other exports and imports too):

for object oController:

You can set the graphic detail when creating a new map. Ah this error only occurs in some computers, I created a new version a week ago for another person which was supporting all of them but I don't have it right now, I will re-create it and update the main post. Thanks for pointing it out.

#29 borut

borut

Courage Wolf Productions

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

looks great, is there an include script to import terrain in your game?

#30 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

looks great, is there an include script to import terrain in your game?

There's an example in the zip file that shows how to import the terrain in your game, along with some useful scripts like the one that returns the z position of the terrain at a certain x,y position. Thank you for the reply : )

Edit: New version, fixed minor bugs.

Edited by loverock125, 09 November 2011 - 01:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users