• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dualmask

Dualmask

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

I have a simple question. I saw the game They Need To Be Fed uses vector graphics (according to the creator's blog) and was made with Game Maker. I'm dying to know how exactly one goes about doing that. See, I have little patience for pixel art, but I'm fairly decent at drawing with Flash CS4. Of course, I don't want to use ActionScript to make games...I use Game Maker because it reduces/eliminates the amount of coding that needs to be done. But I have a modicum of art skill and I like the clean cel-shaded look that's easy to create with vector graphics, so yeah, I want to make vector graphics and use them in Game Maker instead of pixel art...not that I don't like it--I love it, really, it's just too tedious to create, compared to how I normally like to draw.

#2 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19914 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

GM does not support vector art I'm afraid. What you have to do is design your art in Illustrator or whatever, and then save it as a png which can then be imported as a sprite in GM. It's still pixel art but at least it's vector based...

#3 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3125 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

use inkscape to create them its free and easy to use.
gm uses png format which is the closest youll get to vector quality in gm.

Edited by Jakyl11, 03 October 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#4 Dualmask

Dualmask

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

(To both) I see...that's kind of what I thought, but I guess what I wanted was confirmation. I've downloaded Inkscape but haven't messed with it yet since I can already use Flash for drawing fairly well. (A vector image is a vector image, right?)

Thanks for the feedback. Question answered, time for some fresh experimenting.

#5 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

Well... I'm not sure about vector importing, but the GM draw primitives and shapes functions are basically a vector. There was some software on the gmc somewhere that let's you create images with it and converted them to gml so you could basically use 100% vector art in GM.

#6 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

When it said it uses vector graphics in They Need To Be Fed - that probably means that the vectors were created through code (It might not though).

I hate drawing sprites for example - so this is what I mostly use, and it has advantages - such as it being editable during runtime so you can change colours, warp things etc. A good use for it is creating water that ripples when you land in it.

#7 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19914 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

I think the graphics in TNTBF are rendered vector graphics... I can think of no other way that they could be done with that quality in GM...

#8 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:53 PM

Apart from the character - I think everything would be ok to do in game - I can seriously imagine very easily how one would do that. However - I think you may be right as I don't think HTML5 works with vectors yet (though correct me if I'm wrong - I would love to be).

#9 Dualmask

Dualmask

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:00 AM

Hmm, creating vectors through code...that sounds a bit advanced for me. Maybe I'll try using Inkscape or Flash to draw and animate and, if nothing else, trace the animation frames in a raster program like Photoshop. I suppose if a beginner like me really, really wants to use real vector graphics in their game, they should just learn to do it the Flash way for now.

I definitely have more clarity about this matter now.

#10 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:51 AM

I have done that. All of my in-game graphics (check my signature) have been made through code. It saves lots of memory

#11 Dualmask

Dualmask

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

When it said it uses vector graphics in They Need To Be Fed - that probably means that the vectors were created through code (It might not though).I hate drawing sprites for example - so this is what I mostly use, and it has advantages - such as it being editable during runtime so you can change colours, warp things etc. A good use for it is creating water that ripples when you land in it.

I'd love to see an example of your work.

#12 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

See my Game in my signature. None of the graphics (except the menu ,background and the HUD) are pixel graphics. they are all generated by the computer on the go.

#13 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• Retired Staff
  • 9322 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

Technically, SVG's (Scalable Vector Graphics format) are simply XML files that describe the image. The Ether extension (or is it just a DLL? I don't remember) makes parsing XML files easy, so using that with GM's drawing functions should get you at least close to the goal of using SVG's in GM.

-IMP

#14 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

When it said it uses vector graphics in They Need To Be Fed - that probably means that the vectors were created through code (It might not though). I hate drawing sprites for example - so this is what I mostly use, and it has advantages - such as it being editable during runtime so you can change colours, warp things etc. A good use for it is creating water that ripples when you land in it.

Ok - I have a good example (though the game was abandoned). I was going for a computery feel with this, the music ain't mine - it's from team buddies (PS1 Game).

Some things to note when you are viewing this game:

1) The screen you start on was going to be a main menu - but I didn't give it any buttons before abandoning it.

2) See if you can find the Easter egg in the shop. (Tip - it will try to fool you - persist!)

3) You can't press escape in the shop, you must click back and then press escape in the "server list".

4) Please don't steal my Idea for this game - I might come back to it some day.

5) If you click on the only server in the list you will go to a room full of debugging stuff.

6) There is also an Easter egg in the server list - see if you can find it.

If you find both I will be really happy - because I spent a while making them, and it's a shame to loose them to an abandoned game.

Download

#15 Dualmask

Dualmask

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:13 AM

When it said it uses vector graphics in They Need To Be Fed - that probably means that the vectors were created through code (It might not though). I hate drawing sprites for example - so this is what I mostly use, and it has advantages - such as it being editable during runtime so you can change colours, warp things etc. A good use for it is creating water that ripples when you land in it.

Ok - I have a good example (though the game was abandoned). I was going for a computery feel with this, the music ain't mine - it's from team buddies (PS1 Game).Some things to note when you are viewing this game:1) The screen you start on was going to be a main menu - but I didn't give it any buttons before abandoning it.2) See if you can find the Easter egg in the shop. (Tip - it will try to fool you - persist!)3) You can't press escape in the shop, you must click back and then press escape in the "server list".4) Please don't steal my Idea for this game - I might come back to it some day.5) If you click on the only server in the list you will go to a room full of debugging stuff.6) There is also an Easter egg in the server list - see if you can find it.If you find both I will be really happy - because I spent a while making them, and it's a shame to loose them to an abandoned game.Download

Unfortunately when I tried to download your file, my virus scanner eradicated it. Anyway you can perhaps upload it to the GMC Sandbox or post videos of the game in action somewhere? For the record, I have no desire to steal anyone's ideas--I have plenty of my own to work with. I'm just trying to get ideas for how to approach in-game graphics.

#16 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

... But that link upstages me! (My stuff is mostly sin waves :P)... I don't really feel like uploading it now... dam you're a better artist than me - the main reason I like the coding way is because I don't have to stop coding! :) That's not to say my graphics suck - they are just more like a less partically Geometry Wars - and they often interact with the mouse. I feel like I accidentally implied that I was making really detailed stuff when in fact all I was making was wavy ribbons, and 'boxes' that get 'lit' around the mouse.

Also what anti-virus are you using? All I sent you was a zip with an exe in it...

So, yeh... You're probably a better artist than me... (assuming it was you that made those pictures)

#17 Dualmask

Dualmask

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:00 AM

... But that link upstages me! (My stuff is mostly sin waves :P)... I don't really feel like uploading it now... dam you're a better artist than me - the main reason I like the coding way is because I don't have to stop coding! :) That's not to say my graphics suck - they are just more like a less partically Geometry Wars - and they often interact with the mouse. I feel like I accidentally implied that I was making really detailed stuff when in fact all I was making was wavy ribbons, and 'boxes' that get 'lit' around the mouse.

Also what anti-virus are you using? All I sent you was a zip with an exe in it...

So, yeh... You're probably a better artist than me... (assuming it was you that made those pictures)

Yeah, that's all my art! :biggrin: I just got tired of trying to make comics and got interested in making game graphics. I guess what I was trying to do was figure out the best way to translate my art style into the game format without resorting to pixel art; I'm not rigidly focused on strictly using vectors for the graphics. Since someone mentioned Inkscape, I've begun exploring that program and I think I'll be able to make good use of it.

Thanks for your input and information, everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users