Game Maker Screen Tearing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bizwize@hotmail.com

bizwize@hotmail.com

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

OK, so I have been using Game Maker for a couple-three years now and although it has some limitations I do like the product.

The only problem that REALLY bothers me is the amount of screen tearing that the engine does. Now I have tried just about EVERY suggestion to reduce the screen tearing but it won't go away.

Here are just some of the tricks that I have tried:

Reduce the resolution.
Increase the resolution.
Do full screen.
Don't do full screen.
Use Syncronization.
Don't use Syncronization.
Use 60hz, 70hz, 80hz and so on.
Reduce the number of instances.
Reduce the size of background images.
16bit color - 24bit color.
Don't scroll the background.
Use views.
Don't use views.
Reduce the amount of calculations in the step and draw functions of every instance in the room.
Interpolate pixels turned on/off.
Use a different monitor. - I have tried 7 different monitors now, with 5 different video cards, and 5 different computers.
Upgrade Game Maker to the latest version.
Upgrade my computer and ram.

All these tricks did was to change the postioning of the tearing.
There are more tricks that I have tried that I can't remember as of this writing.

Now here is the thing, there are only 5 objects in my room now, all with minimal code running, and only one view active in the room, and still it tears.

Some forum users suggest that I use my own high resolution timer functions to control the refresh myself...! WHAT?? My answer to this is that if I wanted to handle the screen buffer page flips myself, I would blow the dust off my C++ compiler and do all the low the level coding myself. But that's why I bought Game Maker, so I would not have to do that low level of coding.!

To me the screen tear issue is now becoming a game-ender with respect to Game Maker. Its like having one of the best made drills in the world but it can never drill a straight hole. Oh it's fancy, and looks real purdy, but it is totally useless to me.

To be honest, with todays computers and video cards, it blows me away that a tiny little game running in Game Maker can have issues like screen tearing, that is soooo 10 years ago. I mean I can run WOW on all these computers without any screen tearing at all, and that runs on DX7 fer crying out loud. Actually I can run dozens and dozens of game on theses computers without any screen tearing whatsoever. Whats the problem with Game Maker that it cannot do even the simplest game without tearing?

As a paying customer I would expect this issue to be of the UTMOST importance to Yoyo games and the new developer that they hired to revamp the engine.

Just so ya know, here are the specs i am running:

Intel dual core 3000's
8 gigs of ram
ATI Readon 5770
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Edition
Game Maker 8.1.135 or whatever the newest version is as of this date..

EDIT: Apparently I can't read the rules and I posted this in the wrong area. Mod go ahead and delete this as I have now posted it in the correct forum...

Edited by bizwize@hotmail.com, 30 September 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#2 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1892 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

Try this:
Posted Image
Hope it helps you. :smile:

Edit:

Use Syncronization.

Ah, sorry I missed that. :mellow: I guess this post wont be to useful for you. :sad:

Edited by Andy, 03 October 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#3 57E

57E

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

Set room speed to 30. Nothing else realy helps.

I've tried the syncronization setting in three different machines and in game maker versions from 4 to 8.1 and as far as I can see it does nothing...

Edited by 57E, 03 October 2011 - 05:08 PM.

#4 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4148 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

I responded to this some time back, have a read of it here: http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=3713488

#5 dimiav

dimiav

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

I responded to this some time back, have a read of it here: http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=3713488

hello, we are 4 developers that were going to buy 4 licenses
but than we saw that Game Maker has Such Major Flaw

you wrote that it will be fixed in the next release but it was posted back in March!

is there any news about this issue?!?

if not we may gonna need to start our Project from the beginning on other Platform :(

#6 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4148 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

It's hardly a major flaw. Just about every commercial game released does this, so it's not nearly a big an issue as some are making out.

Full Screen mode will be fixed in GM9 which is sometime off, you can't fix fix screen tearing in windowed mode as Windows is in charge of VSync. It should also be noted that many GFX card's don't honour this setting anyway.

Your call.....

#7 newbguy

newbguy

GMC Member

• 128 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

it really is as big of an issue as its people make it out to be. if you are creating a fast paced game, you need to rely on the screen to be able to keep up. gameplay is effected when all the screen tearing gets in your way. its distracting and detracts from the experience

looking forward to that fix in 9.0..

Edited by newbguy, 19 October 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#8 dimiav

dimiav

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

It's hardly a major flaw. Just about every commercial game released does this, so it's not nearly a big an issue as some are making out.

Full Screen mode will be fixed in GM9 which is sometime off, you can't fix fix screen tearing in windowed mode as Windows is in charge of VSync. It should also be noted that many GFX card's don't honour this setting anyway.

Your call.....

If some players can't play in the game because they cant look at the in-game objects because of horrible screen tearing... so IT IS A MAJOR FLAW!
from what I understand its effects all players who has ATI Graphic Cards which doesn't work well with vertical Sync in Windows Mode
it means that we loose near a half of possible customers...

I see no Discussions about GM9 , but I see that the GM Studio is going to be released, is this software do utilize the DirectX Full screen mode?

#9 newbguy

newbguy

GMC Member

• 128 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

from what I understand its effects all players who has ATI Graphic Cards which doesn't work well with vertical Sync in Windows Mode

I am running an nvidia graphics card. there is still screen tear

#10 Alert Games

Alert Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1118 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

Syncronization also slows down the game which hinders performance.

The only options to avoid this are to either wait until version 9, or use a different platform.

#11 dimiav

dimiav

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

this is RIDICULOUS!
every person I have tested it with, complains that its annoying to look at and might bring headaches!!!

so we decided to move our project to Torque 2D
because its seems that for the GameMaker\YOYO games company is more important releasing some "Snake" Games than Fixing such an Major Flaw

#12 Nebuer

Nebuer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

screen tearing is a rare occurrence for me, but I can see it getting in the way if it was more frequent

Edited by Nebuer, 20 October 2011 - 11:21 PM.

#13 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1170 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

Weird. I've never once seen it or heard somebody mention anything about screen tearing to me (actually I had to look it up to see what it even was). And I've been putting out GM games for a few years now. Sort of hard to believe there are people out there who not only see it all the time, but for them is actually a serious issue.

#14 dimiav

dimiav

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

Weird. I've never once seen it or heard somebody mention anything about screen tearing to me (actually I had to look it up to see what it even was). And I've been putting out GM games for a few years now. Sort of hard to believe there are people out there who not only see it all the time, but for them is actually a serious issue.

you tell me,
maybe I am doing something wrong,
I have a Room with 1 Object Followed View

once the view moves all the tiles and objects are hurtful to look at:
http://dl.dropbox.co...916160/Game.zip

there is two files there, one with the "use synchronization to avoid tearing" option marked and the second is without

#15 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4148 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

If some players can't play in the game because they cant look at the in-game objects because of horrible screen tearing... so IT IS A MAJOR FLAW!

What are you on about?!?!? Tearing is just a rip as things scroll, with the top half at a slightly different position from the lower half. it shouldn't affect what they can/can't see. Virtually every 3D game out on PC rips/tears, and it doesn't affect all these MASSIVELY SUCCESSFUL pc titles. I freely admit it's annoying, but it's hardly a show stopper.

I'll also say again; no matter WHAT we do, not all graphics cards support this anyway, so you'll have to live with it.

#16 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8357 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:43 PM

hello, we are 4 developers that were going to buy 4 licenses

So you don't own GameMaker Standard yet?

once the view moves all the tiles and objects are hurtful to look at:

Now why doesn't your game have the Lite Watermark on it?

You pirate GameMaker, and then come here complaining about it.

Pathetic.

#17 dimiav

dimiav

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

You pirate GameMaker, and then come here complaining about it.

it was pirated for the purpose of checking the technology, once we move to deeper developing process we would buy 4 licenses...

by the way.. its the same issue in the lite edition...

What are you on about?!?!? Tearing is just a rip as things scroll, with the top half at a slightly different position from the lower half. it shouldn't affect what they can/can't see.

by going over this forum many players complain that while they have a moving objects or moving view they see annoying objects that has big frame skip while they move
maybe its not what you meen for "teering" is, but it is a major problem

from my tests this issue doesn't exist in many other game engines such as Game Editor or Torque 2d 1.7.5 demo

Edited by dimiav, 21 October 2011 - 04:59 PM.

#18 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22538 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

it was pirated for the purpose of checking the technology, once we move to deeper developing process we would buy 4 licenses...

The Lite version of GM exists specifically for testing puposes... So don't give us the bullsh*t that you pirate to "Test the technology".

by going over this forum many players complain that while they have a moving objects or moving view they see annoying objects that has big frame skip while they move
maybe its not what you meen for "teering" is, but it is a major problem

Wait... Frame skip is not the same as screen tearing. If you have frame skip then it's probably due to poor programming or not understanding the limitations of the tools you are pirating using. And the "problem" you talk about originally (tearing) is not that major. In all my years on this forum I have only seen a few people complain about this issue (and certianly NONE have ever said that it "might give headaches"!). As far as I can see it is something that you will have to live with no matter what the technology.. sometimes more, sometimes less, but it will happen on some machines and in some games and with some engines no matter what.

Such is life.

#19 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8357 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

this is RIDICULOUS!
every person I have tested it with, complains that its annoying to look at and might bring headaches!!!

so we decided to move our project to Torque 2D
because its seems that for the GameMaker\YOYO games company is more important releasing some "Snake" Games than Fixing such an Major Flaw

No it's important that YYGs earns money. You know to help pay for development.

It seems that a lot of people use it but won't pay for it.

Happen to know any of those thieves?

Oh yeah, you!

You gonna be okay with people pirating your game, you know to "check the technology" and using it for as long as they want.

#20 dimiav

dimiav

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

Wait... Frame skip is not the same as screen tearing.

if these issues are different so tell me please is this is screen teering or frameskip:
this executable saved in GM lite version:

and I don't care if you believe me or not, I rather doable check before buy the software!

#21 chaku

chaku

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

This topic is sad, because it could have been valid discussion, but here you go pirating the software just to complain about it.

I've been a Gamemaker user for quite sometime and think it's a great way of easing game development, especially being as I'm much more of an artist than a programmer. Both programming and being an artist take a lot of skill and dedication, especially being a musician and digital painter. Thus far I'm not convinced I could have made game on the scale or quality that I have by myself, having gone with a low level solution (C++ etc).

However, my experience is of all of the software I've tried, GM seems to have the greatest inconsistencies between different computers, particularly with screen tearing, rendering, and sometimes garbled graphics/scaling. Sometimes I've had serious inconsistencies on the same computer, having games slow down to a crawl for seconds the first time loaded, while running full speed otherwise. Sure, it's always full speed the second time, but the first time is enough to turn most people away or feel like it's a shoddy game.

I've never had these kinds of issues on the same level as GameMaker with any other (modern) software, so I'm pretty sure it could use improvements in updating how it interfaces with hardware.

As it is, I think GameMaker is a great prototyping tool and I love it's potential as an artist to create content intuitively and quickly. I think it has the potential to be something much more, but I wouldn't feel comfortable selling my game, as even when it 'seems' to run ok on my computer, it's always been my experience that it's different on virtually every computer (or graphics card even) that I've tried. I'd feel bad selling someone a game, having them meeting the requirements but getting less of an experience for reasons I won't fully understand even as the game's creator.

For now, I've been trying to learn XNA, and dabbling a bit further into programming away from game scripting. This is primarily because the XNA games I've played in similar styles to what I want to make (specifically Terraria, etc) seemed to perform consistently on all of the hardware I've thrown at it, as long as they meet the requirements (.net, xna, hardware).

But there is no question that all of my time spent on trying to become a competent 'real' programmer, building my own game engine/level editor/collision detection, with all of the complexities and enormous time sink entailed, could be also be spent on making a great game or becoming a better artist in conjunction with Game Maker. So in that way, it's sad to me, but I don't feel right making that compromise with a commercial game.

So as terrible as this topic may have been, I do think trying to make GameMaker look and play as professionally and consistently as possible, would be a tremendous step towards turning it into a more viable commercial platform in addition to being an already great hobbyist tool.

#22 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3918 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

Wait... Frame skip is not the same as screen tearing.

if these issues are different so tell me please is this is screen teering or frameskip:
this executable saved in GM lite version:

and I don't care if you believe me or not, I rather doable check before buy the software!

Well I tested it:

what you see when falling down (and moving sidewards) is "tear" - however that doesn't give me any headaches, nor is it noticable except if you look for it.

What does give me an uneasing feeling is the fact that the thin lines "blur out" - the black crosses in white boxes simply blur and give a very annoying appearance. But that is just caused by a "fast" scrolling screen with thin, high contrasting, lines.

#23 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22538 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:53 PM

<SNIP>

Well spoken... And you will be glad to here that the guys at Yoyo have already stated that GM9 will have a complete overhaul of the actual engine, starting with a C++ rewrite of the runner, and (if I remember rightly) DX9/10 rendering (rather than the current DX8). Hopefully that will remove (or at least reduce) some of these problems people have with the current runner.

#24 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4148 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

As I get no tear on this, I'm guessing what your actually talking is the "judder". No, it's currently not possible to get rid of that, in fact in "windowed" mode, it's dammed near impossible (haven't tried a proper full screen - exclusive mode for a while). So that said, if Torque 2D gives you what you want, you should probably go pirate that instead. :rolleyes:

#25 Aethelwulffe

Aethelwulffe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:18 AM

Let's see: Is this tearing?

Full screen mode, object followed, with a background.
You see the background stretched or blurred in a horizontal line that seems to move a bit, and kinda trashes the cool factor.

That is what I have been experiencing since GM7 (my first version).

Static rooms are no problem. It this a hint that GM9 (which will be the fifth time I have purchased GM (7, 8, 8.1, and that HTML5 I so regret)) will actually possibly maybe be able to overcome the one and only true improvement I have been looking for in Gamemaker over the years?
-Art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users