30 replies to this topic

#1 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:19 AM

Do you find it a pain drawing the outline for an isometric building, only to find it isnt the perfect size? Well that wont happen with IABE! IABE(Iso-Artist BETA Edition) is a reliable isometric drawing tool with which you can draw buildings, paths, pyrimids... You name it!

Features:
*Medium sized drawing space
*Grid Snapping(64x32,32x16,16x8,8x4(For the real precise stuff))
*Saving image as .png(will have multiple export options)*Saving disabled due to it nearly being completed
*Free to use for Commercial/Non-Commercial products(will change if the program becomes popular)
*Toggle-able grid... See your end product before exporting!
*A few basic shapes and line-color changing
***A Christmas Theme***

Image of example made with IASE:
Posted Image
Posted Image

BETA Download: http://www.mediafire...i9893mnvi02gb0l

Old Version: http://www.mediafire...8pvbalkyj37dpu4

If you want to Pre-Register, do so by donating $3.00USD here:

https://www.paypal.c...d=KVSMXWE37XYDE

or if you want some advertising rights and a registration number, you can donate $5.00USD :P
https://www.paypal.c...d=VZ3MRLRD36PBA

NOTE: ONCE YOU HAVE DONATED, PM ME AND LET ME KNOW AN I WILL PM YOU YOUR REGISTRATION NUMBER!

Either way, when I get the final release up, I will require a donation to register the program and that money will go towards me getting Game Maker HTML5 and maybe I will be able to make programs that dont require a download. Best thing is, since people are enjoying this program, I will continue to make more. PM me if you have an idea for a program to make your lives a little easier.

Edited by HelpMyFellowPeople, 24 December 2011 - 10:27 PM.

#2 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:11 AM

Anybody got any comments? I thought this would be a helpful tool for people since I cant find one out there...

#3 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

I hate seeing potential go to waste, sometimes that happens within communities like these.

Your idea is very awesome and in fact one you should push further and clean up some of the interface/tools you have going on there. Include some pre-defined shapes and such to move around. Not only is that concept fantastic for sketching out ideas, but quickly putting together spatial playground to have better visual representation of stuff you're trying to convert from brain matter to code/art.

Regardless of what you decide to do with it, good job.

#4 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:05 AM

Thanks for your feedback CloudBomb. Good idea to add shapes to it. Ill add that when im working on it next. I made it because I was looking everywhere on google and could not find a simple isometric drawing tool where you can export the images.

#5 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1197 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

I realy like this program, i made a pigeon with it, how about adding a gui and the ability to color lines, its not hard to do

#6 lukeyrulz

lukeyrulz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:22 AM

Very nice idea!
Some suggestions I have:
-When you click and drag (to draw a line) you should be able to see where the line is being dragged, in case the user accidently draws it to the wrong spot.
-If you had an undo/redo function also, that would really be convenient :)
-If you included a menu at the top with an easy interface, then users may find themselves more comfortable using the program and knowing their way around it.

I'd love to see more future updates on this, this could be very handy! :D

#7 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:47 AM

Colored lines good idea. And yes, I am working on a proper interface. And the lines wont be difficult, Ill just add another surface. Dont know about the undo function though. Ill have to do some more gml research.

Thanks

#8 DragonEris

DragonEris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

Iso drawing can be pretty tricky. A tool like this will certainly be useful to someone, especially for beginner spriters.

I tried it out and at first it was a little confusing but it wasn't too difficult to get used to. The only suggestion that hasn't been said is that I think you should have some kind of input for the grid size instead of holding shift or control. You're going in the right direction with it, and I think have a slider or maybe a place to enter how far apart each snap point will be would work very nicely. Otherwise I think it's pretty great. ^^

#9 FortyEightKay

FortyEightKay

Commercial Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1009 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

I have no interest in using this to make a game, don't really do rpgs and such like.

That said, I've spent [wasted] a good few hours playing with this program.

Will post image here of what I've done shortly. Edit: Was pretty lame, so won't bother

Please continue working on this and take it to the next level, this program has great promise.

Nice one!

Edited by FortyEightKay, 21 November 2011 - 10:39 PM.

#10 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

Excellent program, well done!

edit: I took a turn at texturing in paint a simple pyramid thing I did:
Posted Image

Edited by Desert Dog, 27 November 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#11 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3825 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

Quite nicely done. Iso grid is what makes it better than other available tools...
Posted Image
However...
* Iso lines dont always follow 'standards', causing jagginess on line meetings.
* Erasing lines can be troublesome, and not even necessarily erase entire line.
What would be nice to see in future:
* Bucket tool
* Colored lines
* Undo. Around 16 operations max, I'd say.

For similar tools, time ago someone have made a program to construct iso things from small cubes (and other shapes). It's probably even possible to find somewhere in my posts.
If you'd find that, you could probably use that as reference on interface and some exporting options.

#12 BluePotato1994

BluePotato1994

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

Sooo, is there an update coming?

#13 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the tips and comments... I am still working on the interface trying to get it perfect, and trying to work out a 'Fill' script. If anyone could find a fill script for me, that would be greatly appreciated!

#14 lukeyrulz

lukeyrulz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:45 AM

I just thought I'd post here that I will be continuing to watch the progress of this application as it has potential and is a useful tool for many. :biggrin:

#15 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

I am re-writing it. So far it looks really good and has a nicer feel to it. Will release a BETA when I have completed a bit more of it.

#16 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

Now a BETA version has been released. It features a line tool(use the same as before), an eraser tool and a block tool. You can also load an image into the canvas and change the grid size.

#17 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1197 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

Now a BETA version has been released. It features a line tool(use the same as before), an eraser tool and a block tool. You can also load an image into the canvas and change the grid size.

ok, a few things. we want to see how our lines look before we press, do some thing like this:
global left event
linexend=mouse_x
lineyend=mouse_y
this is so you can see what you are doing do NOT add the variable that you are using to stop it from moving again at the end, the only thing that you should replace in the code is the variables with the ones you are using, this is how it is done in quickpad. oh and nice GUI

Edited by faissialoo, 19 December 2011 - 11:51 AM.

#18 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for that. I was having a bit of trouble with that but got it working now. Should I add basic shapes like Spheres, Floors, Pyramids, Cones?

#19 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1197 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for that. I was having a bit of trouble with that but got it working now. Should I add basic shapes like Spheres, Floors, Pyramids, Cones?

yes you should, and add more than one file format to export, all you have to do is change the file extension in screen save part

#20 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

New update! Now has lines to show where you are drawing, and more shapes and changing the color of the lines. The color change will be enabled for shapes in next version.

NOTE: Saving has been disabled and the canvas has a watermark over it. The full registered version will allow the use of save and get rid of the water mark.

Since the full version will require a small donation, request some tools you would like and some extra features.

Also, anyone know how to make a script for a Fill tool?

Edited by HelpMyFellowPeople, 20 December 2011 - 09:03 PM.

#21 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1197 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

New update! Now has lines to show where you are drawing, and more shapes and changing the color of the lines. The color change will be enabled for shapes in next version.

NOTE: Saving has been disabled and the canvas has a watermark over it. The full registered version will allow the use of save and get rid of the water mark.

Since the full version will require a small donation, request some tools you would like and some extra features.

no, offence but, I do not think anyone will buy it, as I experienced with quickpad, even better is too put a advert at the top of the download page. oh and I am downloading
edit:pretty good,I like the new shapes, i don't see any watermark. there is no point disabling saving because I can just use snipping tool.
I will start working on a fill script if i can

Edited by faissialoo, 21 December 2011 - 08:36 AM.

#22 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

The watermark is very faint. I have to figure a better way to do that lol. Maybe a time trial? I dont see why someone wouldnt like to donate, this is a giving world is it not? :P. I was thinking of lettn them just donate 1 dollar, but Paypal would eat that up on fees lol. And thanks, a script would be great.

#23 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1197 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

The watermark is very faint. I have to figure a better way to do that lol. Maybe a time trial? I dont see why someone wouldnt like to donate, this is a giving world is it not? :P. I was thinking of lettn them just donate 1 dollar, but Paypal would eat that up on fees lol. And thanks, a script would be great.

I made (in my opinnion) a epic word proscessor, no one bought the pro version, not even for 2.00?

just put adverts on the download page. however $1 is not bad, espacially if you donate from the uk where you just have to pay 63p :whistle: .

#24 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

It's a nice tool. I did the $3 pre-reg, look forward to seeing my registration number.

In the Beta, pressing load, then pressing cancel in the dialogue boxes causes an error, which then wipes the picture..!
Make sure you have appropriate warning signs ('loading an image will lose any unsaved progress!'), too.

Erasing in the Beta doesn't seem to work? Or at least, not very well? It was working fine in the other version.

And you'll be wanting a small helpfile at some point, add that to your to-do list. (just use F1, and use a html splash screen or something)

Where's ma watermark!? D:

You could do what your doing now. Join up points. click 1 point, click a second, then a 3rd, and you draw a 3 pointed polygon(triangle). Click a 4th point and it connects up for a square(if you lined them up right!)

Not theee most user friendly method, but it's functional. You'd have to draw the colored polygon first, and then draw the outline ontop of that, since it's likely people would want their image to keep their black outline.

Ideally you could just click like in paint, and the blank space could be filled, however, you could also use this technique I just explained to add textures, so people can load up little textures (like bricks) click the points, and then the texture is drawn there (skewed).

Hope I'm making sense. :P

Anyway, don't worry about that. Make that erase work again!

edit: If you want my (not so humble, but honest) opinion about the whole charge free thing, I think go ahead with selling it. Why not? Maybe make some more handy tools, make a friend who has a mac, put them on the mac store (you don't have to spend time advertising).

A word processing program is different, even if it was really good. There are just too many, Windows comes with 2 built in, most computers have MS works, or MS office, or open office. Probably the only way to go that way is to 'stylize' it.. make it a Pony text editor, has a nice pony themed skin. I exaggerate a little bit, but that's the only way to stand out with a text editor, give people a reason to use it.

Other ideas is to do it 'essentially' freeware, with a license such like 'free for personal use, registration required for commercial use', and hope someone likes it enough and is using it on a commercial program, so they register. That seems a bit unlikely, though, but may bring in some change at some point.

Edited by Desert Dog, 21 December 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#25 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for your imput. That polygon idea for the fill is brilliant. I am playing around with my options now. As for the eraser, I dont know what the problem is there. What exactly isnt it doing right?

#26 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

Figured it out. I thought the eraser was going to work like a line(did it originally?), rather than a MS-paint style eraser.

#27 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

Ah yes. I think I may, as well as have that eraser tool, have it so right mouse button erases a line, or the shape you have chosen. Makes for a more user friendly way to correct your mistakes.

#28 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

Another update! Can erase with right mouse button. Actual eraser looks alot better and when opening a file, it gives you a message to tell you you will loose your information.

#29 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

Christmas Update. Now has floor tiles, and a Christmas Theme! OMFG!

Merry Christmas!

#30 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1197 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

the new version is good,themes is a good idea, I think you should use my script for the tooltips:
//draw_mouse_rest_win7(x1,y1,x2,y2,string)
if mouse_x>argument0
{if mouse_y>argument1
{if mouse_y<argument3
{if mouse_x<argument2
{
draw_roundrect_color(mouse_x,mouse_y,mouse_x+(string_length(argument4)*string_width(argument4)),
mouse_y+15,16777215,14540253,0);
draw_set_color(c_black)
draw_set_alpha(0.4)
draw_roundrect(mouse_x,mouse_y,mouse_x+(string_length(argument4)*string_width(argument4)),
mouse_y+15,
true)
draw_set_alpha(1)
draw_text(mouse_x,mouse_y,argument4)}}}
}

Edited by faissialoo, 25 December 2011 - 10:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users