• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fullmedia

fullmedia

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

Posted Image

Latest version includes one new track, brand new settings menu, and lots of behind the scenes stuff.

Rapid Racing is a new racing game with good racing physics, good collisions, and its a game where the car handling is actually fun and enjoyable to play with. It features advanced AI as well as being able to load in your own music to listen to on the cars stereo and pick from a range of cars (Only graphics at the moment.)

The original engine was written by Exylex using ExtremePhysics by Maarten Baert.

Posted Image Posted Image
These are only temporary images, and hope to get some better graphics soon.

Posted Image

Planned for the future: more tracks, cars have different attributes (And you can upgrade.), a career mode, online racing, more information on planned features can be found within the game menu.

When submitting a bug, please include your Operating System as well (especially for any game crashes). I've only tested in Windows 7 64 bit on my beefy machine so I am not 100% sure how well it will work in other systems.

Please try it out and then tell me what you think, any suggestions are also welcome. I've always had a passion for racing games, and I have attempted a few before, but this is the first one I am truly happy about. Anyone who is interested in helping out with the graphics, sound or level design, please contact me. I am also after someone who can do voice overs, as I want to create a narrators voice during the game.

Edited by fullmedia, 01 October 2011 - 11:06 PM.

Old account name: tdmgames - I'm back, after 3 years, 3 A Levels and countless new career ideas, now an accountant by day, and a freelance web designer at night.

RapidRacing - A great racing game!

#2 imbrainy

imbrainy

GMC Member

• 76 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

I like it so far! The collisions are good, and the AI looks functional. Performance wise, I think the car could handle a little better than it does. I liked the speed it accelerated at and it's top speed, though, so it was pretty excellent in my eyes.

A few minor things were that you should give the player an option of whether they want to run the game in full screen or not, and that the text that comes in from the bottom should only do the animation when you start the game, as it was slightly annoying to have to wait that second for them to pop up. That's only really an issue if you're switching between menus a lot though, so that might not be necessary.

I also loved the way you handled the car changing. If I'm not mistaken, you could probably make custom cars that way. So there's an idea, a car builder. Everything seemed to function well, so good work so far. I want to see this finished!
Currently restarting the Platform RPG, Lemmon, from scratch.

#3 fullmedia

fullmedia

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

I like it so far! The collisions are good, and the AI looks functional. Performance wise, I think the car could handle a little better than it does. I liked the speed it accelerated at and it's top speed, though, so it was pretty excellent in my eyes.

A few minor things were that you should give the player an option of whether they want to run the game in full screen or not, and that the text that comes in from the bottom should only do the animation when you start the game, as it was slightly annoying to have to wait that second for them to pop up. That's only really an issue if you're switching between menus a lot though, so that might not be necessary.

I also loved the way you handled the car changing. If I'm not mistaken, you could probably make custom cars that way. So there's an idea, a car builder. Everything seemed to function well, so good work so far. I want to see this finished!

The screen size option was a feature that has been added today (I compiled it all last night.). The car changing will be a lot better, loading the images in from the folder rather than having to pick yourself, but as this was only the engine demo, I didn't focus too much on getting that bit perfect - and car building is defiantly going to be there, I love games where you can customise stuff.

With the menus, that menu will rarely be visited, with the options being "Career" and "Online", but I might make it instant as soon as its loads.

How do you think the car could handle better, did it turn too little or too much, or start drifting a bit too much?

Thank you for you review :)
Old account name: tdmgames - I'm back, after 3 years, 3 A Levels and countless new career ideas, now an accountant by day, and a freelance web designer at night.

#4 imbrainy

imbrainy

GMC Member

• 76 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

I think it turned too little. I don't really like having to slow down that much to make a corner. That's just my opinion, though, I'd wait until others say it before you change anything :biggrin:
Currently restarting the Platform RPG, Lemmon, from scratch.

#5 fullmedia

fullmedia

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

I think it turned too little. I don't really like having to slow down that much to make a corner. That's just my opinion, though, I'd wait until others say it before you change anything :biggrin:

I've had a look into it, and I've tweaked it a very tiny bit. However, when I start adding in buying cars, then upgrading, handling of the car will improve over time as you upgrade, with top handling being roughly what its like now (My local version). You'd get used to the worse system, but slowly it would improve so it would feel a lot better - that is the plan anyways.

Anyone else tried and want to say what they think about the engine, there has been 9 other downloads, so it'd be good to hear what you guys think.

I will try to get the new version out soon, features another (hard track, will try to make it easier before release.) as well as the menu system a lot more functional and doesn't rely on the built in message boxes.

#6 Supertoad25

Supertoad25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Here's the problem, the turning because you forgot to center the origin in the sprite options.
Also, this is just my opinion but, when I go backwards I feel like they reversed the controls, easy problem to fix, just make the view rotate with the car and it should be fine, don't forget to make it optional for those who prefer the other way.
And I think the game crashed after about 3 laps, so I had to end the task.
There was a pirated sample of some music in my game Dot in Danger. piracy is wrong, but the game was not commercial nor is it up anymore, the 2 people who downloaded the game should delete it from their computers. thank you.

#7 fullmedia

fullmedia

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

Here's the problem, the turning because you forgot to center the origin in the sprite options.

sprite_set_offset(sprtestcar,sprite_width/2,sprite_height/2);
It gets set to the centre after loading in the new car sprite. The only car the turning doesn't work well on are the limos, but they were purely for a laugh.

Also, this is just my opinion but, when I go backwards I feel like they reversed the controls, easy problem to fix, just make the view rotate with the car and it should be fine, don't forget to make it optional for those who prefer the other way.

When you are reversing, it will feel like the controls are reversed, that is just how a car works.

And I think the game crashed after about 3 laps, so I had to end the task.

Any idea what it may have been, did a car crash or anything, and did the sound stop? Also, what Operating System? Only times I've had to force close the game is when I forgot to set the Exit button to end the game *doh*.

Edited by fullmedia, 30 September 2011 - 09:40 PM.

#8 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

The collisions were very good, except that it occasionally found itself stuck in an infinite loop? Although collisions were offscreen when it froze so I'm not exactly sure WHY everything stopped :S

Consider adding the ability for the AI to reverse? So many 'accidents' could have been sorted out if they just reversed :P otherwise, the AI was excellent.

I'd love to see a track creator added? It'd be complex to implement though. I'd envisage the player DRAWING a set of points, like a path, along which the track would go. And then it'd generate a track for that set of points... if that makes sense :P

What sort of racer is this going to be, by the way? Street racing, or on a track? And what sorts of cars?

#9 fullmedia

fullmedia

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

The collisions were very good, except that it occasionally found itself stuck in an infinite loop? Although collisions were offscreen when it froze so I'm not exactly sure WHY everything stopped :S

Does that mean the game crashed for you too?

Consider adding the ability for the AI to reverse? So many 'accidents' could have been sorted out if they just reversed :P otherwise, the AI was excellent.

I will look into getting the AI to reverse, after a while it resets back to the path, but I might get it to after X amount of time, try reversing, if it can't reverse back onto the path, it should reset. I am also going to set up a reset button for the player to use.

I'd love to see a track creator added? It'd be complex to implement though. I'd envisage the player DRAWING a set of points, like a path, along which the track would go. And then it'd generate a track for that set of points... if that makes sense :P

It does make sense, and sounds quite interesting, I like the idea of drawing out the track with a path, then each point you could set the width of the track, any special pieces (Adding in tunnels soon), and the surface of the track. Only issue would be AI, at the moment I have to draw out the AI path, and set the speed for each part of the track. I could make it though so its only for multiplayer mode rather than single player. I love games where you can create and upload your own content, so this would be perfect :)

What sort of racer is this going to be, by the way? Street racing, or on a track? And what sorts of cars?

I am aiming at track racing with street racing cars. So the menu and the upgrade options are set out like a standard street racer, but the racers are set on tracks. A bit like one of the Need4Speed games (Can't remember what one, but guessing by your name, you would know :P) The main game mode would start with a street racing scene, cops arrive, you are busted, but have the option of being fined and car impounded, or to take part in a new force of racing for no pay.

Thanks for your comments, keep an eye out for the next release later :)

#10 fullmedia

fullmedia

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

Version 2 has been released. I've called this the "Usable Update" - as in it makes a lot of the menus usable, other than that its just a lot of under the hood improvements, and adding of stuff such as WiiMote control and voice over system (though the WiiMote can't be used in this version.)

Please report any bugs that you find, and post your Operating System and computer spec's if it is a crash. Thanks :)

#11 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:25 AM

Does that mean the game crashed for you too?

I will look into getting the AI to reverse, after a while it resets back to the path, but I might get it to after X amount of time, try reversing, if it can't reverse back onto the path, it should reset. I am also going to set up a reset button for the player to use.

It does make sense, and sounds quite interesting, I like the idea of drawing out the track with a path, then each point you could set the width of the track, any special pieces (Adding in tunnels soon), and the surface of the track. Only issue would be AI, at the moment I have to draw out the AI path, and set the speed for each part of the track. I could make it though so its only for multiplayer mode rather than single player. I love games where you can create and upload your own content, so this would be perfect :)

I am aiming at track racing with street racing cars. So the menu and the upgrade options are set out like a standard street racer, but the racers are set on tracks. A bit like one of the Need4Speed games (Can't remember what one, but guessing by your name, you would know :P) The main game mode would start with a street racing scene, cops arrive, you are busted, but have the option of being fined and car impounded, or to take part in a new force of racing for no pay.

Thanks for your comments, keep an eye out for the next release later :)

Yeah, it crashed. I'm sure it's a looping issue!!

If the AI gets stuck, tell it to reverse for say, one second, and then try again. If its STILL stuck, then reset.

Hmmm, getting the AI to generate a path for itself could be tricky.. unless it followed the path of the track you create? It could find an 'optimal speed' by checking how much the track curves ahead. So over the next 100 'points' of the track, if the angle changes, the the speed of the AI will be reduced?

Sounds good. Like Prostreet, I think :P

#12 fullmedia

fullmedia

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hmmm, getting the AI to generate a path for itself could be tricky.. unless it followed the path of the track you create? It could find an 'optimal speed' by checking how much the track curves ahead. So over the next 100 'points' of the track, if the angle changes, the the speed of the AI will be reduced?

I could also get it to work out the best path by following the path at top speed, until a crash, then slow down just before and keep trying until it completes without crashing. Or I could look into a different system for AI.

Have you tried the new version, it has 1 new track.

#13 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

I could also get it to work out the best path by following the path at top speed, until a crash, then slow down just before and keep trying until it completes without crashing. Or I could look into a different system for AI.

Have you tried the new version, it has 1 new track.

Yeah, that's a good idea. Simulate the car racing through the track, find the top speed at which it can travel by looping through and repeating sections again and again. Good idea! I'll give it a swing in a second..

EDIT: For drawing the track, I'd use primitives and draw a massive triangle list?

Edited by ND4SPD, 03 October 2011 - 12:22 PM.