#1 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hiya everybody.

If somebody hosts a game...well, and I know the folder strucure (seems to be always the same)
then I could simply download all the necassary files and play the game as a window application again, right?

Is this intended to work like this? Somehow I think ripping games from a site that wants to get visits to stay alive will hurt a lot.
Is there some way to improve security on this?

Thx in advance

iBNKRoX.png

#2 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4147 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hiya everybody.

If somebody hosts a game...well, and I know the folder strucure (seems to be always the same)
then I could simply download all the necassary files and play the game as a window application again, right?

Is this intended to work like this? Somehow I think ripping games from a site that wants to get visits to stay alive will hurt a lot.
Is there some way to improve security on this?

Thx in advance

Javascript is client side executed - so you will HAVE to send the code to the person. And that person will always be able to copy that code. That is simply the nature of javascript. Same for flash, java applets etc. All those things can be copied and then executed offline. But has this ever prevented flash developers from making games?

If you really must prevent offline usage, you could always handle most of the game logic on your server.

#3 JacksonYarr

JacksonYarr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

You could create a Javascript extension to solve this issue. The external Javascript would be:

function JS_getLocation()
{
return window.location;
}

Once you've added this extension into Game Maker, it's then a simple matter of using Game Maker code something along the lines of this:

location=JS_getLocation();

if (location != "http://www.MyWebsite...m/MyHTML5Game/")
{
room_goto(roomBlocked);
}

Hope this helps.

- JacksonYarr

#4 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

You could create a Javascript extension to solve this issue. The external Javascript would be:

function JS_getLocation()
{
return window.location;
}

Once you've added this extension into Game Maker, it's then a simple matter of using Game Maker code something along the lines of this:

location=JS_getLocation();

if (location != "http://www.MyWebsite...m/MyHTML5Game/")
{
room_goto(roomBlocked);
}

Hope this helps.

- JacksonYarr

Tried this.
When I create the game as HTML5 it simply wont start...nothing, not even the loading bar :(

iBNKRoX.png

#5 JacksonYarr

JacksonYarr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:57 PM

Here's a quick example JS Location.zip

This example only displays the current address of the game, however it shouldn't be too hard to restrict it to a single address once you know where it will be hosted.

#6 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

You can easily pirate flash games. But it is easier to pirate HTML5 games.
What JacksonYarr said is how most flash games protect themselves from piracy.
My newest website. Check it out!
I support Cryset Games. Make money playing and making games!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
My avatar is best viewed in the lighter GMC theme.

#7 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thank you, that worked.

Weird...I am rly sure I did it the same way... ..
well, thx anyway =)

iBNKRoX.png

#8 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

We do have some idea's for slowing this kind of thing down. The one listed above is one of them, but we have some others we'll do as well.

Users can always decompile the source and change it... but as long as it's not "easy", then only determined folk will do it.

...it's on our to-do list for sure. Bugs first... then new features. :rolleyes:

#9 BorisE

BorisE

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

We do have some idea's for slowing this kind of thing down. The one listed above is one of them, but we have some others we'll do as well.

Users can always decompile the source and change it... but as long as it's not "easy", then only determined folk will do it.

I suppose that where a site has either CGI or mod-rewrite ability there could be a backend script that functions like a virtual "dongle" for the game, responding to a challenge in a specific way.

A far simpler possibility would be to use an absolute, not relative, URL for the game's resources and make it hard to alter. That way ripped games would work for a short while until off-site image link restrictions kick in then "boom".
Avoid the balls (HTML5) http://gmc.yoyogames...63252&p=4799769

#10 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4147 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

I suppose that where a site has either CGI or mod-rewrite ability there could be a backend script that functions like a virtual "dongle" for the game, responding to a challenge in a specific way.

A far simpler possibility would be to use an absolute, not relative, URL for the game's resources and make it hard to alter. That way ripped games would work for a short while until off-site image link restrictions kick in then "boom".

Second option would be a hell to develop in -.-

#11 BorisE

BorisE

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

Second option would be a hell to develop in -.-

Maybe not, I found it was supprisingly easy to run a webserver locally for testing and a simple hosts file redirect will cause that domain to be served locally not from the net. Anyway I'd assume a distinction between "live builds" and "development builds", any attempt at restriction is going to obstruct development.
Avoid the balls (HTML5) http://gmc.yoyogames...63252&p=4799769