#1 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

On Topic

Hey guys, Jon here. I've been noticing some people are having trouble getting their HTML5 games on the net, so I've decided to make a brief tutorial on how to as, just two days ago, I was in the same shoes as you.

When I went searching for free webhosts, one thing popped out to me, a lot of them were owned by the same company with the same restrictions, so I spent two days trying to find a new host that was a good option for uploading a html game, and just last night I found one, freewebhostingarea.

So let the tutorial begin!

1) Make your website with http://www.freewebhostingarea.com/
If you already have a domain registered go ahead and use the domain (Keep in mind that some free sites have a hard time accessing content through your own domain so you'll have to use the public url they provide you, as pointed out by Icuurd) , but if you don't (like me) use the first bar, fill in what you want your website address to look like. You will then be taken to a page where you set up your account and complete a captcha.

And BAM! You have a webpage. Take note of the FTP information it gives you, as we'll need that later in the next step:

2) Download the FTP client at http://filezilla-project.org/
You will only need the client to interface with your new website. After you have installed FileZilla, run it and you will notice your files on the left and a blank page on the right, that's where all the directories and files of your website will be located.

So log in at the top with the information you got on the site registration page at the port 21 (the default FTP port) and you the right pane will be filled with all of the files created with the website.

3) Putting your game on the website
This is as simple as dragging the html5game folder, scripts folder, and index.html file (that is created when you compile your project) onto your site, but first it will be best if you create a new directory in your site dedicated for your game and then putting all of the files in there. This is just a matter of right-clicking and opting to create a new directory.

And that's about all there is.
Your link to that game (if you did not rename the index.html file) will be the directory you created after the website.

Example: I created the website jonp.freevar.com and listed my html projects under their own folder at /HTML5/*

Posted Image

So if I wanted to link to the SmartGrid index.html all I would have to do is give the link jonp.freevar.com/HTML5/SmartGrid (It IS case sensitive)

I'm not the most experienced when it comes to stuff like this, but I hope I've helped some of you.

Edited by True Valhalla, 15 May 2012 - 03:20 AM.

#2 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

You, sir, are amazing. Many thanks for creating this tutorial -- for internet noobs (like myself) who are trying to make the switch from GM8.1 -> GM-HTML5 will find this truly invaluable.

EDIT: Your free host doesn't seem to allow me to set up a free website. Keeps saying I don't have permission :/

Edited by Rossay, 24 September 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#3 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

Are you trying to make a domain that you don't own?

If you don't own a domain, use the subdomain register rather than the domain.

#4 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

No, I realise that, I'm trying to register a subdomain.

#5 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

That is weird. I just made a second website without a problem. Can you explain the process and maybe I can try to wrap my mind around it.

#6 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

Okay, I'll try and explain.

- I opened the link as you told me to.
- I typed the domain name I wanted into the "free sub domain hosting" box.
- I then picked a server from the drop down list and clicked proceed.

and the following error message appears:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/create_account.cgi on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

#7 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16304 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

Note that some free sites have trouble when the content is accessed via your own domain, forcing you to use the public url they provide you.

#8 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

I am surprised none of you guys knew how to do that. I thought that this was common knowledge... Oh well. Another misconception broken.

#9 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

No problem, Nocturne, and I'll note that in the OP, icuurd.

If anyone else has the same problem as Rossay has, PM me and I'll create the website for you with a generic password and give you the information so you can change it to how you see fit in the the account panel.

Edit:
Slam Drago, I'm not seeing the point in your response... :confused:
I'm sure a lot of people here know well how to use FTP clients to interface to their websites, that hardly constitutes for "none". The main reason I made this topic was that there are a lot of free webhosting sites, and to find one that works well with importing GMHTML5 projects isn't as easy.

Sure this may not help you, but I know I have at least helped someone here.

Edited by JonathanPzone, 24 September 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#10 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22603 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

I am surprised none of you guys knew how to do that. I thought that this was common knowledge... Oh well. Another misconception broken.

It's not the knowledge that is lacking, but rather a free web host that permits you to do it. I spent the better part of the day yesterday testing just about all of them (Webs, Weebly, Wix, DevHub, WebStart, DoodleKit, Moonfruit etc etc etc...) and none of them permits this, so for JonathanPzone to share his find I think is great.

#11 Terrified Virus

Terrified Virus

Moderators Plaything

• GMC Member
  • 753 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

OMG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 CharlieMcShane

CharlieMcShane

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

YoYoGames were correct, GameMaker: HTML5 is more for professional-based developers who wish to take their game making career further.

This tutorial is rather helpful actually, so that should be helpful for others. But people should know this sort of thing before publishing their games like this.

#13 oobanoob

oobanoob

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 145 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

Someone's used Weebly - http://alextrittgame...esome-pong.html

Would love to know how.

#14 FlatLander

FlatLander

Strictly 2D

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

The main reason I made this topic was that there are a lot of free webhosting sites, and to find one that works well with importing GMHTML5 projects isn't as easy.

Thank you. Something I now don't have spend time doing.
Posted Image

#15 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

Someone's used Weebly - http://alextrittgame...esome-pong.html

Would love to know how.

I've messed around with it and have come up with this as probably one of the better solutions:

So first, with notepad, open the index.html file that GMHTML makes when you compile and take note of the width and height of the canvas it creates.

So for AstroJanitor it made:
<!-- Create the canvas element the game draws to -->
<canvas id="canvas" width="640" height="480" >
      <p>Your browser doesn't support HTML5 canvas.</p>
</canvas>
So the width will be 640 and height will be 480.
But there is also an 8px margin on each side, and we need that to give focus to the game by clicking it when we put it in the iframe.

So by adding the 8px margin to each side we get 656x496 for the final iframe size.

Now go into weebly and place a custom HTML module where you want it to be and put this code in it:
<DIV ALIGN=CENTER>
<iframe src="http://jonp.freevar.com/HTML5/Astro" width="656" height="496" 
frameborder="0" scrolling="no" name="GameFrame" >
Oh No. Your browser can't support iframes</iframe>
</DIV>

And just change the src, width, and height attributes so it will work for you.

Remember that to give focus to the iframe you have to click the gray border.

#16 Questionare

Questionare

(BEN)

• 160 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:21 PM

I can't get filezilla to work- its not connecting to the server address I got: ueuo.com: is that even a server address??? Anyways it just keeps trying to connect to it over and over again. and it gave me a random number for the port: 14147? is that ok?

Could I just use the web based ftp client that they free web hosting area provides? i tried to, but nothing much came of it. > http://doinbenthings...com/Flymangame/

im pretty confused, id love some advice

Edited by Questionare, 26 September 2011 - 12:00 AM.

#17 cotycrg

cotycrg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:28 AM

I'm honestly surprised at how many ill-experienced people just went out and spent $80/$99 on a programming tool. I mean, why would you? I mean I guess its good that you guys are posting tutorials and stuff for them. But I mean, wow.

#18 Questionare

Questionare

(BEN)

• 160 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:43 AM

http://bearfrog.weebly.com/ THIS IS EXCELLENT

Edited by Questionare, 26 September 2011 - 02:20 AM.

#19 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:46 AM

I'm honestly surprised at how many ill-experienced people just went out and spent $80/$99 on a programming tool. I mean, why would you? I mean I guess its good that you guys are posting tutorials and stuff for them. But I mean, wow.

Well, to be honest, even if they had little/no experience, but still the drive, it would be stupid not to take the 60% off deal. To me, 80$ isn't too much to splurge every once in awhile. I think it's nice to see people excited to make games again and if those people don't know what they're doing, then to each his own I guess. That's just more people that I can help. :thumbsup:

http://bearfrog.weebly.com/ THIS IS EXCELLENT

Nice to see you got it to work! :smile:

Edited by JonathanPzone, 26 September 2011 - 03:47 AM.

#20 rmedtx

rmedtx

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

I hope my question is not too dumb... How do you compile your game for web use? Is is not an executable file. Is it?

#21 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

I hope my question is not too dumb... How do you compile your game for web use? Is is not an executable file. Is it?

Yeah, I don't know what files Jon is talking about either.

#22 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

Alright. So when you're in the GMHTML5 window, make sure that the dropdown list on the right side of the window is set to export HTML5.

Now go under File and press "Create Application", make a new folder on your desktop or somewhere you can find it (You can always save it in the default projects folder if you want) and create it there.

Then you shall find that in that folder there will be 2 files and 2 folders.

html5game
scripts
index.html
<gamename>.exe

The only files you need to put on the website are the index.html and two folders.

#23 Questionare

Questionare

(BEN)

• 160 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

Yes thank you very much, your tutorial helped immensely, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.

#24 Slickdc

Slickdc

GMC Member

• 176 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:17 AM

If you don't want or care to make a website and mess around with the FTP and website stuff, there is a much easier way to put your games/applications online for use on any Internet connected computer.

If you don't have a Dropbox account, create one here (don't worry, it gives you 2GB of free storage has no viruses) and then make a folder with-in the Public folder that you start with after you download it. In that sub-folder, put the 4 files that Game Maker outputs for HTML5 and wait for them to upload/sync. After that, right click on the index.html file and go to the "Dropbox" section on the menu and click "Copy public link." If you or anyone else goes to that link they will be able to run the game/application you uploaded.

For example, I made a program that visually adds vectors together and I use it for my Physics class on my iPad.
You can try it out for yourself: http://dl.dropbox.co...TML5/index.html

I hope this is useful for people who aren't ready or don't want to embed games on a website yet.

Edited by Slickdc, 29 September 2011 - 01:21 AM.

#25 UltimateGoku

UltimateGoku

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

Well, I prepared prior to Game Maker HTML5 so I wouldn't be wasting my $79. I am surprised people bought it without thinking, but it's their life... I guess..:whistle: Anyway... Good tutorial Jonathan! :biggrin:

Edited by UltimateGoku, 30 September 2011 - 04:16 PM.

#26 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

Nice one Slickdc, thanks for sharing mate.

#27 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3185 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

This is a pretty handy way of showing someone your WIP projects :thumbsup:

#28 8feet

8feet

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hey guys 8feet here... I have a question... I did all the things I needed to do.

But the results is this... http://randomgames.ueuo.com/HTML5VCT/

I can't see my game Lolz;D! Help ME!!!!

God Bless and thanks!!!

#29 pedrosorio

pedrosorio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

Hey guys 8feet here... I have a question... I did all the things I needed to do.

God Bless and thanks!!!

In your index.html, (check the end of the file) there is a canvas and a reference to the javascript file that should contain the game:

<script type="text/javascript" src="html5game/Project2.js?EGXXB=1851014977"></script>

This file, isn't in your server.

#30 8feet

8feet

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:18 AM

God Bless and thanks!!!

In your index.html, (check the end of the file) there is a canvas and a reference to the javascript file that should contain the game:

<script type="text/javascript" src="html5game/Project2.js?EGXXB=1851014977"></script>

This file, isn't in your server.

Thanks, i was able to make it playable... But now there's a new problem. I think my game is too big for it to be playable this way... I was disappointed.
Anyway, how do I use the external files I provided for the HTML game? I tried many ways and because my game is so big I can't really see the results for it.
What I did was that the game will search for the Data directory if that folder is within the same folder? Any ideas?

God Bless!!!

p.s. Oh and before anything else... For the people who were able to post the games online. What do you guys suggest me on how to post the game in the right way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users