Obfuscation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lumavr

lumavr

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:12 AM

The obfuscation is good for when you release the game, but I really want to see the HTML5 code it generates. This would allow GM developers to learn the HTML5 code and also have a way to compare what is generated to HTML5 code examples. There also might be instances where the code needs to be edited in the actual HTML5 to get something to work. Thoughts? Or is there a way to generate it without the obfuscation.

#2 Mayhem Games

Mayhem Games

Proud Kiwi

• GMC Member
  • 959 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:21 AM

I don't think its currently and will ever be possible. Yoyo Games won't want you snooping in their code. Their non obfuscated code can be found in the zip file scripts.html5.zip but it is password protected.

#3 mos4567

mos4567

Oneiric Muse

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

I don't think its currently and will ever be possible. Yoyo Games won't want you snooping in their code. Their non obfuscated code can be found in the zip file scripts.html5.zip but it is password protected.

I hate to bring up the old saying that goes something like... security threw obfuscation is not security.

:thumbsup:

#4 Mayhem Games

Mayhem Games

Proud Kiwi

• GMC Member
  • 959 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:25 AM

Well look at Game Maker 8's obfuscation, that was cracked in about a month. I'm not saying its not possible, i was saying that through Game Maker HTML5 it won't be possible.

#5 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

It's generated code.
Probably not exactly human-readable anyway.

#6 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4775 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:40 AM

YoYo are actually looking into ways to support this request, but there are no plans or timeline that I know of.

#7 Wintasy

Wintasy

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

I bought the product a few days ago and only just discovered --after I *finally* figured out how to generate an HTML/JS version :yucky: -- that the JS is obfuscated. I find this totally unacceptable; if I want to obfuscate the code, I can easily do so myself. VERY bad first impression!

#8 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3274 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

Run the game with F6, and the "game" code is not obfuscated and will let you debug. There's no point in producing final code that isn't obfuscated. It's smaller, a little more protected and "ready to go" from export. This is what most developers require.

#9 Wintasy

Wintasy

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

Run the game with F6, and the "game" code is not obfuscated and will let you debug. There's no point in producing final code that isn't obfuscated. It's smaller, a little more protected and "ready to go" from export. This is what most developers require.

OK, I guess that could work for me --but I had not seen that documented anywhere...

#10 squeakydave

squeakydave

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Unless I am doing it completely wrong running my game with F6 (debug mode) still produced obfuscated text in the current version of GMH

#11 wtrbrs

wtrbrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

I don't agree. Obfuscation somethimes slows down browsers or generates errors. It would be nice if there is an option to generater 'clean' html5 code.

#12 client

client

GMC Member

• 45 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

I don't agree. Obfuscation somethimes slows down browsers or generates errors. It would be nice if there is an option to generater 'clean' html5 code.

yes you are right :) if we wrote html5 game in game maker it's 822 lines but real javascript code is 4-5 lines.and game maker make lag.

#13 Molinware

Molinware

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

yes you are right :) if we wrote html5 game in game maker it's 822 lines but real javascript code is 4-5 lines.and game maker make lag.

If it's true that Obfuscation somethimes slows browser and generate errors. Then I agree.

#14 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3274 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Obfuscation does NOT slow down games, if anything.... it speed up parsing as the source size is significantly reduced.

Think about it; Javascript is almost ALWAYS obfuscated, so folk like Google/Firefox would be utterly MAD to have it slow down.

All obfuscation does is rename functions, variable and removes spaces. This will NOT slow down final code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users