44 replies to this topic

#1 JacksonYarr

JacksonYarr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

Since some people seem to be stuck on this at the moment, I've decided to do up a quick tutorial on using external Javascript with Game Maker HTML5. Although this is just a basic example of a Javascript alert box and a Javascript confirmation box - it should hopefully make using external Javascript much clearer. Make sure to follow along with the images for each step so the explanation is clear.

Step 1:
Step 1 - Image
Obviously the first step is to write the Javascript you intend to use. Your Javascript should be contained within Javascript functions, stored in an external .js file. See image for example.

Step 2:
Step 2 - Image
Within Game Maker HTML5, right click on the Extensions tree and select Create Extension. You can fill in information about the extension when prompted. See image for example.

Step 3:
Step 3 - Image
Once you've created the new extension, right click it and select Add File. Locate the Javascript (.js) file when prompted. A second box will appear, leave Init Function and Final Function blank. See image for example.

Step 4:
Step 4 - Image
After the .js file has been added, right click it and select Add Function. Fill in the properties when prompted. The function name should be the same as the name of the corresponding function in the .js file. (I assume External Name allows this to be different, however I had no luck getting it to work.) "Help" is the help string shown in the code editor when typing the function. "Key" means the argument number. Type string in the value box, for the first key (argument0). See image for example.

Step 5:
Step 5 - Image
We now repeat step four to add the second function (JS_confirm). This Javascript function will return true or false depending on whether the user clicks Ok or Cancel when prompted - as seen in the .js file (So make sure Return Type is set to String.) See image for example.

Step 6:
Step 6 - Image
Once you've added all the functions, you're finished. The added functions can now be used in Game Maker's code editor. See image for example

Hopefully this should clear things up. Those familiar with Javascript should now easily be able to do more advance things such as creating and reading cookies with Javascript from within Game Maker HTML5.

- JacksonYarr

#2 Mayhem Games

Mayhem Games

Proud Kiwi

• GMC Member
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

oooh... I like. I spent about an hour trying to get this working yesterday and couldn't :whistle: Thanks very helpful :thumbsup:

For a long time it puzzled me how something so expensive, so leading edge, could be so useless, and then it occurred to me that a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a dangerously perfect match. ~ Bill Bryson

#3 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

Okay, so...I am not rly familiar with JavaScript.

Could you name just a few interesting examples which would give me a reason to learn it?
I mean...what COULD be done with this?

iBNKRoX.png

#4 stevenbrent

stevenbrent

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Thanks, this is a really good start! I'm going to see if I can use this to work with some third-party JavaScript APIs.....

Edited by stevenbrent, 23 September 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#5 Mayhem Games

Mayhem Games

Proud Kiwi

• GMC Member
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

This could fix the ini and txt files functions. This would allow you to read files already on the computer.

Edited by Mayhem Games, 23 September 2011 - 09:15 PM.

For a long time it puzzled me how something so expensive, so leading edge, could be so useless, and then it occurred to me that a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a dangerously perfect match. ~ Bill Bryson

#6 Orbitguy

Orbitguy

UNS Lead Guy

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

Great guide, that certainly clears up that portion of things for me. Now maybe I can find a way to work with websockets...

Edited by Orbitguy, 23 September 2011 - 09:17 PM.

hahaaforum.jpgStick Legends Online - An Online Role Playing Adventure

#7 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4147 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:29 PM

Could you name just a few interesting examples which would give me a reason to learn it?

Well just about *anything* you see on an internet page that handles user interaction is javascript. The forms you type the reply for this post in, the buttons, the menus.

Javascript in it's turn is often used to call other things, java applets etc.

#8 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

Nice clear tut, good work.

#9 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

Well just about *anything* you see on an internet page that handles user interaction is javascript. The forms you type the reply for this post in, the buttons, the menus.

Javascript in it's turn is often used to call other things, java applets etc.

Yeah, okay..... but... can we re-create what we lost when we had to ditch dll support? I don't think so.
I think...the main problem for me is that when I hear the word "Java Apllet" I always have to think about the annoying snow-flake graphics on some stupid sites or the "Star Trail" the cursor will leave behind when moving the mouse which some sites use.

Is there something that would be a real step forward or at least a alternate way for online highscores or something?

Thx in advance

iBNKRoX.png

#10 Mayhem Games

Mayhem Games

Proud Kiwi

• GMC Member
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

Have got qooxdoo to work. Time to write the other 600 functions :biggrin:

#11 JacksonYarr

JacksonYarr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

Glad people are finding it helpful

Yeah, okay..... but... can we re-create what we lost when we had to ditch dll support? I don't think so.
I think...the main problem for me is that when I hear the word "Java Apllet" I always have to think about the annoying snow-flake graphics on some stupid sites or the "Star Trail" the cursor will leave behind when moving the mouse which some sites use.

Is there something that would be a real step forward or at least a alternate way for online highscores or something?

Thx in advance

A lot of what Javascript is normally used for (client side processing and interaction) is made somewhat redundant by HTML5. With regards to an online highscore though, I see no reason why a Javascript function couldn't pass on the data required to a PHP script that would handle highscores.

#12 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4147 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

You could start an AJAX get request on a server, which would fullfill all necessary needs. There's a bit of limitation on from where you can get data: the host + port must be the same as the one you used to connect you your site (port 80).

http://www.javascrip...axgetpost.shtml

^that shows how to perform a get request on your server, use a GET to retrieve data a POST to sent data.

You could use window.postMessage (a new html attribute) in some way to circumvent the origin limitation and use a different port for the hiscores.

I'm not sure yet if (and how) java functions can be called (and the results retrieved) from javascript. However if it is possible in an easy manner, one could easily rewrite 39dll, and every other dll in JAVA.

@above: Uhm what? HTML5 IS powered by javascript. HTML5 allows simply much more control for scripts. It extends javascript so javascript can be used for full applications. Javascript gives the HTML5 elements meaning.

#13 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thx paul23 ...this somehow sold me.

So, learning about javaScript now would be a good idea.
Anybody got a good place to start?

iBNKRoX.png

#14 JacksonYarr

JacksonYarr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

Uhm what? HTML5 IS powered by javascript. HTML5 allows simply much more control for scripts. It extends javascript so javascript can be used for full applications. Javascript gives the HTML5 elements meaning.

Sorry, I meant in the sense that it would be redundant adding in external Javascript for processing and user interaction since Game Maker HTML5 already includes functions for this.

So, learning about javaScript now would be a good idea.
Anybody got a good place to start?

W3Schools is a good place to start. W3Schools Javascript Tutorial

#15 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

Okay, so...one of the first dlls created back then when the dll system in GM was introduced was a dll to play spc Music Files (Super Faicom / Super Nintendo).
I just googled for "javaScript spc music" and there was no result that had a solution for using javascript for this.

Would there be some way to do this somehow?
Sry, I am rly new to this.

iBNKRoX.png

#16 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4147 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:06 PM

Okay, so...one of the first dlls created back then when the dll system in GM was introduced was a dll to play spc Music Files (Super Faicom / Super Nintendo).
I just googled for "javaScript spc music" and there was no result that had a solution for using javascript for this.

Would there be some way to do this somehow?
Sry, I am rly new to this.

Consider that previously javascript was only capable of doing basic things for user interaction. It was not meant for full applications. Specific music file formats decoders are a thing you only consider when writing desktop applications. So no I doubt you'll find libraries to do this (yet).
Javascript normally "requests" your browser to play a sound: and then your browser handles the decoding of the sound. (Similar for images, JS requests an image to be loaded, than the browser displays it).

Remember your application is now part of the browser, not a stand alone thing. So it should play by the rules of the browser.

#17 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

Well, okay... the problem for me is that it seems as if many nice application-functions will be made available with the javaScript funcionality. However, it doesnt seem there are as much possibilities that GAMES could benefit from as there was with DLL support.

For pure GAME development this seems as a step backward to me.

iBNKRoX.png

#18 Mark Overmars

Mark Overmars

Game Maker Creator

• GMC Elder
  • 805 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

On the contrary. Here are just some things I am sure people will do through JavaScript extensions: multiplayer support, Facebook integration, use of in-game advertisement and payments, access to other parts of your webpage, use of databases, use of vector graphics (realise that the JavaScript can access the canvas), ...
Mark Overmars, YoYo Games, www.yoyogames.com

Twitter:
twitter.com/mark_overmars
Check out my book The Game Maker's Apprentice
Buy my iPhone/iPad/Android game Super Snake HD

#19 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

A lot of in-game extensions can be made via the canvas.

But me I wonder if extensions can access game maker elements and functions. Like GMApi did for gm6,7 and 8...

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#20 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

Yea I'm actually looking at GM HTML5 as more of a powerful web app platform than a game engine. The fact that you can create extensions that utilize Javascript (which can potentially communicate with the server via php) really makes it ridiculously expandable!

#21 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

The reason I use GM for games and not my own engine...
1) The layout and resource management application (GameMaker) is dead simple (I did not have to make one)
2) The engine took care of all the graphics and collision stuff (I also did not have to make one)

The extendability brings it up to par with any programming tool if not above. This is where I spend all my time programming things GM does not support natively, which is way less than if I had had to write my own engine. In effect GM took care of 80+% of the work.

#22 TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:34 PM

The JavaScript extensions of GameMaker HTML5 makes it really appealing to me. But I develop on my Mac. I do got Vista running in a Bootcamp partition on my mac. But I have no experience with GameMaker and I want to give it a test drive before shelling out the $99 for GM HTML5 and installing it in my Vista/Bootcamp partition.

Therefore if I download and tryout GameMaker for Mac Lite, will that give me a good idea of what it's like to develop with GameMaker in general, and with GameMaker HTML5 specifically?

#23 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:36 PM

The JavaScript extensions of GameMaker HTML5 makes it really appealing to me. But I develop on my Mac. I do got Vista running in a Bootcamp partition on my mac. But I have no experience with GameMaker and I want to give it a test drive before shelling out the $99 for GM HTML5 and installing it in my Vista/Bootcamp partition.

Therefore if I download and tryout GameMaker for Mac Lite, will that give me a good idea of what it's like to develop with GameMaker in general, and with GameMaker HTML5 specifically?

Yes.

It will give you a pretty good idea.

In some cases GM:HTML4 is a better experience. Better code editor, graphic editor, more functions.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 24 September 2011 - 11:37 PM.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#24 TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:52 PM

Yes.

It will give you a pretty good idea.

In some cases GM:HTML4 is a better experience. Better code editor, graphic editor, more functions.

#25 TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

Thanks,

The reason I want GM HTML5 is to create an HTML client for my game which will allow me to connect to my game's remote AI server using the JavaScript extension functionality. (you can see a demo of what I mean is this video, although this is with an iOS client:).

BUT... will I have to deal with Windows stuff like DLLs, etc. Or will I be able to just work in HTML/JavaScript technologies? I don't want to have to deal with Windows stuff like DLLs, .Net, etc.

#26 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:24 AM

BUT... will I have to deal with Windows stuff like DLLs, etc. Or will I be able to just work in HTML/JavaScript technologies? I don't want to have to deal with Windows stuff like DLLs, .Net, etc.

Extensions useable in the html5 output would be JavaScript based. So no worries about the Windows stuff

#27 stevenbrent

stevenbrent

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:31 AM

On the contrary. Here are just some things I am sure people will do through JavaScript extensions: multiplayer support, Facebook integration, use of in-game advertisement and payments, access to other parts of your webpage, use of databases, use of vector graphics (realise that the JavaScript can access the canvas), ...

Quite right, Mark. I'm already playing with the Wordnik and SoundCloud APIs (GM <--> JS <--> PHP).

#28 TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

I have some old GM Docs in PDF format. But I can't find any PDFs on the website anywhere. Are there any updated GM Tutorial/User manual type PDFs I can download?

#29 stevenbrent

stevenbrent

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:30 AM

OK, a couple of things I've noticed so far w/r/t JavaScript extensions:

1. After clicking out of the "add functions" dialog. GM crashes with a persistent error message, such that the only way to close is via Task Manager. Every time. This happens sporadically and i'm not sure how to reproduce it...

2. The initial creation of the function compiles / caches everything, so that if you make any changes to the JavaScript you have to recreate the extension etc. At first I thought it was a browser caching thing but that turns out not to be the case....

Edited by stevenbrent, 25 September 2011 - 01:38 AM.

#30 Keysle

Keysle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:02 AM

Because I can 1 time code in any other language... and spend the rest of my time coding with GM
Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

Isn't it annoying that GMHTML5 does not seem to know you are making changes in the js source. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like any change I make I need to delete the extention and rebuild it from scratch...

In short I can't quickly change the js file to fix bugs...

for example

make a function that says alert("Hello'); create the extension...

Try it, you see "Hello"

Change the js so it says "Goodbye"... save it... it says "Hello" still

Nuke the extention and re add the file... re-define you functions

Test it and it says "Goodbuy"

Now imagine I have 100 functions in my extension and imagine I have release an update every month....

#32 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

The .JS file is copied to the extensions directory within your .GMX folder structure - once you have added the extension then edit this copy of the file (this is what would be added to source controle) it is the file associated with the project and it is the correct version to edit.

Russell

#33 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4147 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hmm is yoyogames going to release an explanation of the gmx files (especially in regards to extensions) soon?

#34 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

The .JS file is copied to the extensions directory within your .GMX folder structure - once you have added the extension then edit this copy of the file (this is what would be added to source controle) it is the file associated with the project and it is the correct version to edit.

Russell

Can I suggest a simple sln... To add a edit source menu item in the right click pop up?

[edit]
So I went to the <project>/extensions/<extensionname>/<extensionfile>.js and modified that...

I'm sorry but that has no effect. I even went as far as deleting the js file in the folder. I would have expected an error from the compiler... Nope, it compiles and runs showing the result of the original code...

So which file is it using? I even deleted the original from the other folder, the one I used in the original "add file" command.

:wacko:

[edit2]
OK, I opened another project and re-opened it, still same result.

So I closed GM completely, restarted it, re-opened the project and NOW it's giving me compile error (file not found)
Placed the file back in and now I see the new result.

Changed the js code and re-saved and GM seems to follow.

Looks like I hit some sort of state... some caching of the source maybe? or there was a silent error in the compile and it ran an old copy from the server side?

I did not have any browser running at each run in case you are wondering... But maybe Firefox used a cached application?

#35 dariusk

dariusk

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for this tutorial! I made this demo: http://tinysubversio.../cube/cube.html

#36 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Ah, so the canvas is exposed! That is pretty sweet. That has tons of potential for the future.

#37 Demion

Demion

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:11 AM

delete. solved

Edited by Demion, 04 December 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#38 jmorrissey

jmorrissey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

Great walk through.

I just had a quick question about how you would go about testing it. I wrote the script, exactly like what you had in your last image and when I went to hook it up in Game Maker, I was a bit perplexed as to where I should put the script. I ended up getting it to work by breaking the script apart and placing the Javascript calls on individual key press events, but I'm not sure if there's a better/different way that I was missing.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

#39 gweinberg

gweinberg

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

This is very helpful for calling javascript functions from within gamemaker, but is it possible to go the other direction and call gamemaker functions from javascript?

What I would like to do is to resize my game in response to a browser resize event. I can trigger a javascript function on the resize event, and I've been told I can resize my game window with window_set_size(w,h), but how can I get the javascript function to call the game maker function?

I have a second question. After adding a javascript and running the gamemaker app, I discovered an error in the javascript function. I fixed it in my .js file, but when I rebuilt my app it still used the version I originally added. In order to use the updated version I deleted the js file from my project and then added it again. Is there a better way? That seems very inefficient, particularly if there are many functions in the js file.

#40 Mikemonkey

Mikemonkey

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

I am having the same problem as jmorrissey... My alerts are not popping even though I have followed the tutorial exactly.
I am using Game Maker Studio... and it appears different from Game Maker HTML5... that might be my problem but I though GM HTML5 was added into GM Studio.

#41 TheRealCutter

TheRealCutter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for this tutorial!

#42 Osmium

Osmium

Graphic Artist

• GMC Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the tutorial! You made my day! :)
Posted Image

#43 Crazy Maniac 100

Crazy Maniac 100

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

Thanks a ton JacksonYarr, this helped me a lot!!

#44 alebuo

alebuo

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

MARK PLEASE MAKE A NEW BOOK OF GAME MAKER APPRENTICE! TO USE WITH THE NEW VERSION OF GAME MAKER AND TEACH HOW TO DISTRIBUTE THE GAMES. PLEASEEE

#45 rocketgame

rocketgame

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:32 AM

I can't see any image. Help, I need this.