19 replies to this topic

#1 Fireball16

Fireball16

Indie Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1015 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:39 AM

I am about to buy GM:HTML5 but first I need to know, how many pc can I put it on? Because soon I will be getting a new laptop and I want to put it on that as well as my old one.

Thanks,
Fireball16

#2 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

I've got it on 2. There isn't DRM restrictions of that sort, at least, that I can see.

Edited by Desert Dog, 23 September 2011 - 06:49 AM.

#3 bugdoodle

bugdoodle

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I tend to use GM on a main PC and then a laptop on my travels. I then store my projects in Dropbox giving me instant, always up-to-date access to the files regardless of what machine I am using. I haven't tried this yet with GM:H5, but would like to know if I'm infringing the license if I do.

#4 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2357 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

The License clearly states 3.....

In Clause 1.2

YoYo Games and subject to acceptance of the terms and conditions of use; without a further Licence, use the Software on more than three computers at the same time where you are the sole user and owner of the computers on which it is used and do not provide access nor permit the use of the Software by others; sell, rent, lease, licence, distribute or otherwise transfer this Software or any copies without the express prior written consent of YoYo Games; remove, disable or circumvent any proprietary notices or labels contained on or within the Software;

Russell

#5 crypto2006

crypto2006

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

Cool, I was wondering about this myself. I have both a desktop and a laptop that I will be installing it on.

#6 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

The License clearly states 3.....

Can I ask what the reasoning was for reducing it to 3? A few years back, it was boosted to 5. Was it reduced again simply as an oversight or did allowing 5 installs have a visible reduction in sales?

#7 JacksonYarr

JacksonYarr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

Can I ask what the reasoning was for reducing it to 3? A few years back, it was boosted to 5. Was it reduced again simply as an oversight or did allowing 5 installs have a visible reduction in sales?

I may be wrong, but I believed it was previously increased to five due to issues with Softwrap. In some instances Softwrap would revert Game Maker back to the lite version, and the user would have to re-enter their key (consuming another use).

Now that Softwrap is no longer in use, and there don't seem to be any problems with the licensing system - returning to 3 key uses is understandable.

#8 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

Now that Softwrap is no longer in use, and there don't seem to be any problems with the licensing system - returning to 3 key uses is understandable.

Ah that makes sense, thanks :)

#9 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

So does it actually limit the installs or is this just some license mumbo jumbo?

Edited by 9_6, 24 September 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#10 NAL

NAL

(ง ͠ ͠ ل͜ )ง

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 809 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

It doesn't limit the installs. With Softwrap, it was five activations then the key stopped working until you contacted them to get it reactivated. With the new DRM, there is no hard limit - as long as it's only active on three computers at a time (so if you uninstall it on a computer, it's formatted or whatever, you get one back), you're fine. The installs are tracked though and can be remotely blacklisted or questioned if they're being installed too frequently.

#11 JacksonYarr

JacksonYarr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:50 PM

So does it actually limit the installs or is this just some TOS mumbo jumbo?

The license states that you're not allowed to have the same key installed on more than 3 of your own computers at the same time. Whilst I've only used my key once, I assume from the license that this means there's no hard restriction on the number of times a key can be re-used (After say formatting your hard drive or replacing your computer.)

YoYoGames are capable of revoking keys though, and this will revert all copies of Game Maker using said key to an unregistered state. I'm not aware of any specific details on the back end of their licensing system, although I think it's a fair assumption that they'd be quickly aware of any key used on a large number of machines.

#12 pedrosorio

pedrosorio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

So does it actually limit the installs or is this just some TOS mumbo jumbo?

The license states that you're not allowed to have the same key installed on more than 3 of your own computers at the same time. Whilst I've only used my key once, I assume from the license that this means there's no hard restriction on the number of times a key can be re-used (After say formatting your hard drive or replacing your computer.)

YoYoGames are capable of revoking keys though, and this will revert all copies of Game Maker using said key to an unregistered state. I'm not aware of any specific details on the back end of their licensing system, although I think it's a fair assumption that they'd be quickly aware of any key used on a large number of machines.

My main issue with limiting the number of installs is really on the event of updating OS/computer. If one uses the software on a desktop and a laptop, you only have one "safety install" left (as in "Softwrap days"), but if it only concerns the number of computers that have it installed simultaneously, it's much better.

Edited by pedrosorio, 24 September 2011 - 09:56 PM.

#13 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

It doesn't limit the installs. With Softwrap, it was five activations then the key stopped working until you contacted them to get it reactivated. With the new DRM, there is no hard limit - as long as it's only active on three computers at a time (so if you uninstall it on a computer, it's formatted or whatever, you get one back), you're fine. The installs are tracked though and can be remotely blacklisted or questioned if they're being installed too frequently.

Translation: If I don't uninstall it and dare to format my computer, that's one activation gone?
So in the end of the day, there actually is an install limit?

Edited by 9_6, 24 September 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#14 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

Translation: If I don't uninstall it and dare to format my computer, that's one activation gone?
So in the end of the day, there actually is an install limit?

I think you've got it wrong. More like: There's no install limit at all, but if they see your key getting used 50 times in one day they will blacklist your key as this isn't reasonable use.

They rely on the EULA to inform you that there's a 3 machine limit (so long as you personally own and use all three), so if you challenge their black listing then they have a legal standing.

Edited by Dangerous_Dave, 24 September 2011 - 10:37 PM.

#15 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:44 PM

Well he did say "you get one back" so...

#16 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:13 PM

Simply his wording.

IIRC, GM8.1 had to have an internet connection to check it's key once per month or or would fail to open. If this is the case here, then it would be relatively easy to check if you had even 4 copies installed, as they would see 4 copies each verifying themselves on a regular and ongoing basis.

Better keep it at 3 :D (Although personally, I've never had a need to have it installed on more than one computer at once)

#17 NAL

NAL

(ง ͠ ͠ ل͜ )ง

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:34 AM

Figuratively, not technically. The EULA allows you personally to be actively using GM on three different computers at any given time - by making it unusable on one computer by removing it, that is therefore one of the three GMs out of use. You can then put it on a different one.

The program will never hit you with a hard limit. You could literally, and legally (though YYG would detect it as very fishy), install then uninstall the program on a thousand different computers in succession without hitting a barrier.

Edited by NAL, 25 September 2011 - 02:35 AM.

#18 Fireball16

Fireball16

Indie Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1015 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

Ok, thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

#19 name

name

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1427 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

Right now, I need to take my laptop to school with me to use GM.
They have computers there that I could use, but they have software to more-or-less reinstall windows every day to get around viruses/dumb students.

If I put it on my flash drive, then could I use it there, without it counting as multiple computers?

#20 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

If I put it on my flash drive, then could I use it there, without it counting as multiple computers?

GameMaker keeps your registration details in the registry. If this is cleared, then each time you open GM the YYG server would see it as a reinstall and you risk having your key blacklisted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users