frolacosta

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 148 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

Posted Image

What is IndieGo?
IndieGo Magazine is an indie gaming magazine which has been created to preview/review indie games and our goal is to spread the word of indie gaming to the world.

A new magazine will be released every month and in the magazine we will have some previews/reviews, a feature of a new or up and coming indie game, tips and tricks on great indie games such as Minecraft, Competitions to win free indie games or gaming software, free giveaways and more!

Issue #1 - Release Date: 22nd September 2011
In the first issue we have reviews of Avatar Farm, Metropolis online and Anomaly: Warzone Earth. Minecraft tips and tricks. Awards for this months best indie games. A feature of Team OverReacts A Shapians Tale. And a lot more about indie gaming.

There will also be two competitions, one to win a free Xbox 360 game and another to win a free copy of Game Maker 8.1 Pro!

The first issue will be around 80p to buy a digital PDF copy or around Ģ2.50 to buy a printed paper back copy. A link will be supplied on the day of release.

Contact Information
For more information please visit our Facebook page or contact us on Twitter.
When we get 25 likes on our Facebook page we will give away a free xbox 360 indie game for free to one lucky fan!

Alternatively, you can email us at indiego.mag@gmail.com or message me here.

How you can get involved
If you have a new indie game coming out and would like us to write a piece on it or if you write a review for an indie game, please send an email to apply.indiego@gmail.com with some information about the game and we will be in touch!

YoyoGames Partnership
IndieGo has formed a partnership with Scottish game developers YoYo games. The partnership will enable some brilliant benefits for both parties, for IndieGo it means(alongside other things)our magazine will be full of YoYo games related competitions including in our first issue free games and a voucher for the full GameMaker 8.1. IndieGo will have all the latest and exclusive news on YoYo games. So expect lots of competitions and lots of fantastic content in IndieGo as a result.
If you have any questions about this news, please do not hesitate to ask!

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7185 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

YoyoGames Partnership
IndieGo will have all the latest and exclusive news on YoYo games.

Exclusive? You mean news that's available only to your magazine? Like insider information that's not posted in the YoYo News Announcements?

Also, does the first issue include a pair of scissors, so I can trim the over-sized banner that falls off the page?

#3 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1309 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

It would be more interesting if you actually release the issue so we can see what's this all about.

Deciding about the logo it doesn't look so professional.:(

#4 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

I agree. The logo does look unprofessional, but this is actually a good magazine idea! I would love to write an article for it!

#5 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

It would be more interesting if you actually release the issue so we can see what's this all about.

Deciding about the logo it doesn't look so professional.:(

It gets worse.

#6 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7185 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

The first issue will be around 80p to buy a digital PDF copy or around Ģ2.50 to buy a printed paper back copy. A link will be supplied on the day of release.

No free online version? If not, do you expect us to purchase your magazine, without knowing what's inside? lol.... :tongue: You must be joking.

And how will it be purchased? Paypal? Credit card?

Lastly, what the hell is "80p"? You mean "pence"? You do realize this is an international forum, right? Maybe you should stick with Euros or USD.

Edited by chance, 17 September 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#7 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Lastly, what the hell is "80p" ? Is that "pence"?

No, it's the sound of a failing business plan.

Most customers you'll receive will not have the means to pay for an online magazine and I'm sure as hell not going to bother putting in my payment details for 80p. Your logo looks unprofessional and your business plan for the magazine doesn't even think about what customers you're trying to attract.

#8 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7185 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

Your logo looks unprofessional and your business plan for the magazine doesn't even think about what customers you're trying to attract.

True. In other words, like most ezines we see here.

What's different about this one, is that he expects people to pay for it.

#9 pgg

pgg

GMC Member

• 321 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:15 PM

Does YoYo Games know about this "partnership" they have formed with you?

Edited by pgg, 17 September 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#10 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1309 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

I BEEETT No:))))

#11 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21327 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

As you claim an "exclusive" "partnership" with Yoyo games, and you are also planning on selling the e-zine, I will leave this topic open for now as it has some material for discusion... BUT this forum is for news relating to the community and as such is not your personal publicity space (and your post certainly reads like an advert). In future, wait until you have something to show us before posting please...

#12 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2508 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

So, frolacosta... are you still confident that you've found the right audience? :lol:
I mean, you're not exactly getting a warm welcome...

You have to know the GMC is allergic to anything that costs money. And that includes GM :geek:

Also we have got many "magazines" in the past, some were good, some were bad. So this is a sensitive area of the GMC as well...

I think if you ask money for a magazine we do not know, you can expect maybe one, two, paying customers. It might even be so that you can generate more income (in the long run) by releasing the mag for free, taking some time to build a userbase (through consistent quality of subsequent releases), and when you've got that, start working with adverts inside the magazine or on your website to generate some ad revenue. And if not more income, you'd certainly get a lot more publicity. :)

Edited by Erik Leppen, 17 September 2011 - 07:49 PM.

#13 frolacosta

frolacosta

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

YoyoGames Partnership...IndieGo will have all the latest and exclusive news on YoYo games.

Exclusive? You mean news that's available only to your magazine? Like insider information that's not posted in the YoYo News Announcements?Also, does the first issue include a pair of scissors, so I can trim the over-sized banner that falls off the page?

Yes, only to IndieGo Magazine.

Of course they do. It would be a pretty pointless partnership if they didn't know about it. That's how we're able to have competitions for free versions of GM and YYG games.

#14 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:34 PM

Noticed how you dodged the logo situation, payment problems, audience confusion and lack of clear business plan. Good going there. Looking much more professional now. :whistle:

#15 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7185 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

If frolacosta says he has an agreement with YoYo to gather exclusive information and to award free copies of GameMaker, we should take him at his word.

@frolacosta: why not just make the first few issues free? That way, you'll see if anybody here likes it well enough to pay for it.

#16 pgg

pgg

GMC Member

• 321 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

There's a demo issue linked from the IndieGo (nice name!) topic at the YoYo Games forums but you have to create an account with HP to download it.
http://www.magcloud....e/258133/follow

Can't we just have a PDF download link?

#17 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Noticed how you dodged the logo situation, payment problems, audience confusion and lack of clear business plan. Good going there. Looking much more professional now. :whistle:

He has no obligation to reply to 'the logo doesn't look professional!' posts. I'm a bit tired of hearing 'expert' GMC members opinions on Logo's. I'm more tired of them demanding attention for their opinions.

Edited by Desert Dog, 17 September 2011 - 09:15 PM.

#18 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7185 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

I couldn't set up an account there, but you can get a short preview here. It looks OK. About the same average quality as most GMC mags we see here.

And since the digital versions are free, we have nothing to complain about. So good luck with it. :smile:

Edited by chance, 17 September 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#19 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21327 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

Oddly enough I see nothing GM / Yoyo related in that preview... but I do see editorial gems like "a game for smart people, not stoopid", which kinda puts me off. I guess (hope!) that as it's only a preview and not the real thing the guys didn´t take things too seriously...

#20 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

Oddly enough I see nothing GM / Yoyo related in that preview... but I do see editorial gems like "a game for smart people, not stoopid", which kinda puts me off. I guess (hope!) that as it's only a preview and not the real thing the guys didnīt take things too seriously...

Mark, if you didn't realize there was nothing Indie related either, just half a mag's worth of random images and content thrown into a mock up file. ;)

#21 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 7465 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

There's a demo issue linked from the IndieGo (nice name!) topic at the YoYo Games forums but you have to create an account with HP to download it.
http://www.magcloud....e/258133/follow

Can't we just have a PDF download link?

I was able to read a bit from the preview anyway. Good grief. Was this just slapped together as a proof of concept?

It was difficult to venture beyond "Matts Musings" which was a self-indulgent piece of crap prominently placed on page 1. Just before that, there was a bit from the editor explaining away that they thought a paid magazine was a good idea (for them) and how Matt's articles are exempt from redaction for no apparent reason at all. Graphically speaking, the preview looked well over the edge of dullness into the abyss of abysmal. The game reviews barely managed to save the day by bringing actual content, but the writing still isn't what you expect from a paid magazine, it's what you expect from a magazine made by hobbyists, like Indie(function). Which is free, and despite my criticism of it, doing a far better job on so many fronts.

Edited by Smarty, 17 September 2011 - 10:10 PM.

#22 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

I don't get why the logo isn't in the indigo color

#23 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

Just wondering how you guys say you've partnered with YoYo when Sandy Duncan just said he's unaware of any partnership. He said this through Twitter.

#24 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7185 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:40 PM

Just wondering how you guys say you've partnered with YoYo when Sandy Duncan just said he's unaware of any partnership. He said this through Twitter.

Isn't this enough reason to REMOVE this topic, so the author doesn't receive more attention from his false statements?

Leaving it here just generates more website hits and ad revenue for him.

Edited by chance, 18 September 2011 - 12:48 PM.

#25 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

Now we're adding lying about partnerships... that's the last shred of believe I had in this project being a success gone. I know you mean well but please go back to the drawing board, rethink your course of action, rethink your presentation and rethink your business plan and return later with more solid groundwork.

You weren't ready to post this.

#26 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1309 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Now we're adding lying about partnerships... that's the last shred of believe I had in this project being a success gone. I know you mean well but please go back to the drawing board, rethink your course of action, rethink your presentation and rethink your business plan and return later with more solid groundwork.

He should be ASHAMED that he lied us about partnership.....

DON'T try to make another project..nobody will belive you!!Don't encourage him to come again with some other lies Rusty...:)

#27 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21327 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

Isn't this enough reason to REMOVE this topic, so the author doesn't receive more attention from his false statements?

Well, for me, this proves little. I wonder if Sandy knows that I too have stuff from Yoyo and plan on giving them away in the next Jam? Possibly not! Why should he know every detail about the publicity his company gets? That's why he has people like Scotay working for him. Sandy's tweet to another person about this theme :

I know nothing, but judging by the logo it looks like we've been involved in some way

That does NOT rule out the possibility that the claims made for the magazine are true... Now, personally, I think the preview mag looks like crap, that they are premature to be announcing the thing like this (and ask for money too!) and that claiming "partnership" is probably a complete exageration, but that's their business and my opinion counts for little as we also have a huge topic here at the GMC dedicated to another e-zine for GM... which means that we are honour-bound to give this one the same opportunities.

So... let's just wait and see what the OP has to say, and lets just wait and see what comes from the first issue of the e-zine. When it comes out we can then judge honestly the OP and his work.

#28 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7185 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Sandy's tweet to another person about this theme :

I know nothing, but judging by the logo it looks like we've been involved in some way

That does NOT rule out the possibility that the claims made for the magazine are true...

Now that you posted that, I agree the OP deserves the benefit of the doubt. Ugriffin's original comments were a bit incomplete -- making it sound like Sandy was ruling out the possibility.

#29 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

DON'T try to make another project..nobody will belive you!!Don't encourage him to come again with some other lies Rusty...:)

There is a difference between lies and plans Bee, he may have planned to have a partnership with YoYo but not have actually secured one. Come on Bee, we're on the same forums and we all know how many people here get ahead of themselves and post things that just aren't ready to be posted.

#30 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1309 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

There is a difference between lies and plans Bee, he may have planned to have a partnership with YoYo but not have actually secured one. Come on Bee, we're on the same forums and we all know how many people here get ahead of themselves and post things that just aren't ready to be posted.

Yeah but I'd appreciate it MORE if he just said I'm planning to get a partnership with yoyo..Or we will get a partnership or something like that.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users