- Title: Text box example
- Description: A very easy way to make your own dialog box
- GM Version: :GM81:, GM:S
- Registered: Yes, but a limited lite version exists
- File Type: .gm81 | .zip (.gmx inside)
- File Size: 19 Kb, 3.42 Mb for Studio Version
- File Link: GM8.1 | Studio | Studio with icon --- 8.1 Lite | Original 8.1 (All on MediaFire)
- Required Extensions: None
- Required DLLs: None
This is a very simple way to make a dialog/text box for a game. Commented for your convenience.
- Scrolling text (appearing a few letters at a time).
- Multiple messages at once
- Easily added strings from anywhere
- Scaled text
- Skipping to the end of string (rather than waiting the whole time)
- Following views
- Sounds for appearing letters
- Sounds when the message is closed/next message is loaded
- Freezing everything when there is text visible
- Separate box for speaker's name *
- Colourable text *
- Scripts for easier use *
* Not in Lite or Original 8.1 version
Using a queue, the strings are stored and read back in the same order as before. While the text is appearing, the player can skip to the end of the text, and can then remove the message from the queue to display the next one. When the queue is empty, the object becomes invisible, and stops obstructing the vision. It does NOT require placing multiple objects and the strings can be added to the queue at anytime, anywhere!
The Lite version does the same thing, but with an array that holds the messages, and requires more work for longer sequences of messages.
The Studio with icon version also includes support for having an icon of the character speaking in the message box, the same way that you would see in RuneScape.
To add automatic string wrapping, see here
Edited by thegame, 08 May 2013 - 11:18 PM.