11 replies to this topic

#1 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

Beat Hell is a game I have been working on and off for a while now, all of the work has been getting proper detection of beats (and it still isn't perfect xD).

Beat Hell will be a collection of mini games played to your own music (2 at the moment). There are 4 modes of difficulty, 2 modes of beat detection and a few other options you can play around with using the pause menu. I have 2 methods of detection because I have not yet decided which I like better so if you have a preference please let me know.

Here is a screen shot of the 2 mini games so far (in progress) so you know what you're getting yourself into into :sweat:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Controls:

Shmup:
With the mouse (default)
With the keyboard (must set in the menu)

Tds:
Using the keyboard and mouse like your usual tds game.

To open the menu press P, navigate with the arrow keys and enter. Your options are saved to a file when you exit the menu, to revert back to default delete 'options.dat'.

Try to pick a song with good clear beats. If you get sick of a song or one isn't working well you can choose a new one by pressing 'Ctrl + R'.

• File Size: 2.26mb
  • GM Version: GM8
  • Vista Compatible: yes
  • Changes Screen Resolution: no (room size is set to your screen size)
  • Direct Download: Dropbox!

Complete changelog:
Spoiler

Any kind of feedback is welcomed, criticism, suggestions, bug reports, (and praise of course :happy: ). And if a song works really well let me know so I can try it too!

Haz fun!

Edited by creativebunch, 25 September 2011 - 06:18 AM.

#gmc - It's the goddamn GMC IRC
Beat Hell Pre-Alpha v2.1.0 | Slender2d | Creeping Insanity

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png
I am looking for a pixel/3D artist to team up with me to work on some games. Send me a message if interested.

#2 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

Nice to see you finally posted it on the GMC, Grusty. Will try out this new version later ;D

Did you fix Through the Fire and Flames?

#3 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

Nice to see you finally posted it on the GMC, Grusty. Will try out this new version later ;D

Did you fix Through the Fire and Flames?

Thanks for the post!

Through the Fire and Flames just doesn't seem to work well with Beat Hell :sad: I'll keep trying though ;)

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png
I am looking for a pixel/3D artist to team up with me to work on some games. Send me a message if interested.

#4 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

I have decided to go in another direction with Beat Hell, since I don't have the time to continue with the arcade mode and I also want to experiment with other procedurally generated music game ideas, I am turning Beat Hell into a mini game collection. I have added one new mini game and a quick menu to choose either game.

It is a TDS game and is controlled like any tds, WASD for movement, mouse for aiming, and left mouse for teh shootingz. I haven't tested this mini game on any good computer yet so I'm not sure how well it will run, but just in case, you can destroy every enemy on the screen using the right mouse button (enemies are also capped at 30 maximum). You will also see some debug information in the top left corner, let me know how it runs :smile:

In this one the enemies and their size are generated based on the beats, you have to shoot their size down until they die. Also, you can't die :thumbsup:

Pre-Alpha, Version 2.0.1

• Added new game mode (Tds)
  • Added menu
  • Added temporary screenshot button. Press G to save a screenshot to the game folder
  • Removed fullscreen toggling
  • Removed quick save/load

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#5 FoxInABox

FoxInABox

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6345 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

Mode1
- after dying you have to restart the game since it don't refill hp when selecting a new song
- when pressing esc when selecting song it will quit .. dunno if it should .. but is ok for me because of the first problem

http://www.newground...o/listen/285867 <- fun song for that mode x3 hehe

don't know what you have planned for it, but I hope that it will be some variation to the dual front bullets..

Mode2
- maybe make their size jump after the beat
- I had a movement suggestion for the 2nd mode, disable the keyboard movement, let the distance and opposite angle from the center of the screen to the mouse be the position of the ship, that's what I thought it was like when I started it, untill I noticed that the enemies wasn't affected by the movement, so then I figured that it was just the view that was moving..

Atm it's pretty boring, as you just run away while shooting them

But it all seems to work realy well.. will be interesting to see how this turns out.

#6 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Mode1
- after dying you have to restart the game since it don't refill hp when selecting a new song

There's always something I will forget to fix :whistle:

- when pressing esc when selecting song it will quit .. dunno if it should .. but is ok for me because of the first problem

http://www.newground...o/listen/285867 <- fun song for that mode x3 hehe

It is supposed to do that, I hadn't made a menu when programming that part and just forgot later, I will make it link back to the menu in the next update. And yes that is a fun song :tongue: (Hard though)

don't know what you have planned for it, but I hope that it will be some variation to the dual front bullets..

The left and right firing is based on the sound of the left and right channels. If you have an example as to what you mean by variation I love to hear it :happy:

Mode2
- maybe make their size jump after the beat

I was told that by another person too, I thought it looked nice jumping to the beats of the music xD But I will try it and see.

- I had a movement suggestion for the 2nd mode, disable the keyboard movement, let the distance and opposite angle from the center of the screen to the mouse be the position of the ship, that's what I thought it was like when I started it, untill I noticed that the enemies wasn't affected by the movement, so then I figured that it was just the view that was moving..

I thought it might be a little confusing without a background. That's an interesting idea, I will definitely try that out, and if it doesn't work I can always use it for another mini game :smile:

Atm it's pretty boring, as you just run away while shooting them

But it all seems to work realy well.. will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I agree with you on the boring statement, that's one bug I'm trying to fix. Thanks for giving it a chance, I very much appreciate your post :smile:

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#7 FoxInABox

FoxInABox

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6345 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:17 AM

if you can tell how mutch "pressure" a beat got, and seperate the higher and lower ones, then you could set a counter to find the average between time between each beat of that kind, that way you could find a point where it changes.

if you want to keep the 2nd mode's movement as it is, then purhaps make them react diffrent, and maybe for diffrent part of the music:
circle that:
- destroy the first other circle it comes in contact with, then is stops and then quicly enlarges 3 times its size (after the beat?) before it goes poof
- stop, aims (make it draw itself at a +random(2)-random(2) position when doing so) and charges past you
- gravitates around you (less pullforce if near) maybe make it small when near and large when away
- dodge your bullets, when doing so it have a small moment where it don't .. so make it head into another bullet
- gravitates towards you at a constant phase, but get larger when near, a bullet will push it further away.
- is so large that it fills the whole screen, when hit it grows smaller, and its wall will start to get back on the screen, it will get so small as 4-5 times the size of a normal circle before it goes poof .. so you have to try to stay close to the circle center to not hit its walls when it shrinks x3
- spawn mine circles around itself (that stays 5 seconds before they goes away) when hit, its pretty weak .. but got rapid healing ..

The left and right firing is based on the sound of the left and right channels. If you have an example as to what you mean by variation I love to hear it

Then I gotta track down a song I know plays with channels x3, the idea was basicly just detecting some variation in the song and then change the fire method .. will sketch something later.

maybe you could make some kind of box mode, where you need to keep the mouse inside a box while shapes spawn outside it and will move towards and thru it .. well, it could also be just a box that moves and alters after the music

#8 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

if you can tell how mutch "pressure" a beat got, and seperate the higher and lower ones, then you could set a counter to find the average between time between each beat of that kind, that way you could find a point where it changes.

I already do find the average, to two detection methods are different ways of finding the average, although strangely I never thought of directly checking if it went up suddenly, I will experiment with this.

maybe you could make some kind of box mode, where you need to keep the mouse inside a box while shapes spawn outside it and will move towards and thru it .. well, it could also be just a box that moves and alters after the music

I'm playing with this idea right now :happy:

I liked your ideas for the enemies in minigame 2 so I decided to add some in.

Pre-Alpha v2.1.0

• (beta) Added Xbox 360 controller support, mouse controlling must be off
  • Added option for Xbox controller vibrating to the music :3 (Minigame 1 only)
  • Fixed energy not replenishing bug
  • Added new enemy in minigame 2: Shoots to the music while circling the player
  • Added new enemy in minigame 2: Charges at the player
  • Enemies is minigame 2 now decrease in size when they hit you
  • Player now receives less damage in minigame 1
  • Exiting now re-directs back to the menu
  • Added laser pointer to player in minigame 2
  • Changed the look of the enemies in minigame 2
Xbox Controls:
Minigame 1:
Left thumbstick to move.
X to slow player down.
Minigame 2:
Left thumbstick to move.
Right thumbstick to aim.
Right trigger to shoot.
B to destroy all enemies on screen.

The player still can't die in minigame 2 yet but will most likely add that in the next update. I also seem to be getting low fps in minigame 2, so I would love to know what other people are getting.

Edited by creativebunch, 21 September 2011 - 03:05 PM.

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#9 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:19 AM

A quick update to fix some things:
  • Pre-Alpha v2.1.1
  • Fixed not slowing down when holding X on Xbox controller
  • Increased sensitivity
  • Pressing cancel when choosing a song now re-directs back to the menu
  • Fixed bullet stuck in wall bug... again :3

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#10 fullmedia

fullmedia

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:36 AM

I love games that work with the beat of the music and I love the first game, not so over-keen on the second game but not sure why.. Looking forward to any more games to be added though.

And if a song works really well let me know so I can try it too!

Highway to Hell I found worked quite well.
Old account name: tdmgames - I'm back, after 3 years, 3 A Levels and countless new career ideas, now an accountant by day, and a freelance web designer at night.

RapidRacing - A great racing game!

#11 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

I love games that work with the beat of the music and I love the first game, not so over-keen on the second game but not sure why.. Looking forward to any more games to be added though.

Thanks for playing! The first one is also my favourite, it's one where you can just watch the game move to the music without having to focus on a whole lot of other stuff. I'm hoping to add some more games like this soon.

Highway to Hell I found worked quite well.

It does, can't believe I hadn't tried that one yet :laugh:

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#12 TheJob

TheJob

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hey creative, you probably don't remember me but you helped me with Chomptastic, I just tested your new version out (I know it's late) but it's pretty good! beat detection needs to be fined tune to pick up some of the lighter beats.