GameMaker and YoYo Games

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

GameMaker and what’s happening with YoYo Games

I’m stuck at Southampton airport waiting on a flight to take me on my weekly trip to our office in Dundee. As usual it’s delayed, so I’m taking the chance to use my time effectively and write a bit about our strategy that has been long overdue.

3 symbiotic pieces.

YoYo is effectively 3 things. A web community, a publisher and a tools company. The three are inextricably linked by one thing, GameMaker. Our community and website is dedicated to GameMaker , we only publish games using GameMaker and the only tool we will ever sell or support is GameMaker.

We don’t consider these any of these three pieces as a separate entity. We firmly believe the success of one part breeds success in the other. The word that is used to describe this is “gestalt”… it’s a German word with no direct translation into English but most people explain “gestalt” as “The whole is more than the sum of the parts”.

A good example of this “Symbiosis” is to look at what’s happened recently. We set about creating a Publishing business. Almost every game that we have published so far has come from the community and the result of our (pretty successful) publishing efforts has resulted in us creating a lot of extra value in GameMaker. A lot of the changes we’ve made to GameMaker have only been available to the folks at YoYo in Dundee so far, but this is changing quickly so I want to use the rest of this post to talk about GameMaker and related developments.

GameMaker Developments

GameMaker’s fundamental success lies in its elegant learning curve which allows people with no previous programming and/or game design experience to gradually acquire these skills. This is why GameMaker Lite is downloaded for free from the website more than a million times every year. Many of these downloads find their way into schools and colleges worldwide and although we have a heavily discounted price allowing these institutions to upgrade to GameMaker Standard many of them find that ‘Lite’ has all they need to teach games design and programming skills. Similarly many thousands of people every day download GameMaker Lite for personal use and find that it delivers everything they need to enjoy experimenting with game creation. This free and widespread use of ‘Lite’ almost certainly makes GameMaker the world’s most widely used Game Development engine. It’s something we’re very proud of and are dedicated to ensuring this not only continues, but becomes ever more popular.

When we launched YoYo Games in 2007 we made a fundamental mistake. We hadn’t found the right technical experts to support and develop GameMaker and it took us almost 3 years to get the right people on board. Those of you who have been using GameMaker for a few years now may remember that we launched GameMaker 7 in early 2007 and didn’t issue a single bug fix or update for almost two years when we released GameMaker 8.0. Even then we didn’t release many fixes or updates for the next 6 months. Now, with GameMaker Standard 8.1 we are issuing updates and fixes almost every week. We haven’t been able to do this for free and we subsequently increased the price of GameMaker Standard from $25 to $40. The reaction to this price change was mostly positive, sales have actually increased, not just in total revenue but unit sales have increased by about 50% since we increased the price!

GameMaker 9

For those of you who are concerned that we’re neglecting our roots I want to take this opportunity to reassure you that this is absolutely not the case. At the time of writing we are just stating on a complete rewrite of GameMaker that will be launched next year. I don’t now exactly when this will ship but you can be certain of lots of new features and capabilities in EVERY edition of GameMaker. There will definitely be a ‘Lite’ edition which will still be free and we have no plans to increase the price GameMaker Standard again. We’re not forgetting users of GameMaker Mac either as GameMaker 9 will also run on OSX. At that point, we OSX users (including most of us at YoYo Games), will have the same version of GameMaker as Windows users. We have no plans at this time to include a Linux GameMaker, though we ARE looking at the possibility of having a Linux version of our C++ runner sometime next year.

We have a lot of other things happening with GameMaker in the next few weeks and months. These are all designed to EXTEND the appeal of GameMaker to more of the “Indie” developers. The Indie sector is the most exciting and fastest growing area for games and we want to make GameMaker a tool that can be seriously considered by professional and semi-professional developers. In doing this WE ARE NOT DESERTING OUR ROOTS, in fact quite the opposite. By extending the reach and capabilities of GameMaker we’re saying that you can start with a free and powerful game development tool, and if you’re good, you can then pursue the opportunity to publish your games on Itunes, Android Market, Ovi Store, Playstation Network, Steam, Web Portals, etc. We think this is EXCITING for the community! We use GameMaker for all of our games and so far we’ve had a No1 free download on iPad (Simply Solitaire HD), Top 30 Metacritic ratings (Mr Karoshi) and a Top 5 game on Android Market, “They Need to Be Fed”. Living proof that GameMaker can be used to create successful, professional games.

With the launch of GameMaker: Studio later this year you’ll be able to publish your own games on iTunes and Android Market. Studio will also make it easier for you to work with other people on your game. We’ll also include better tech to allow you to publish Windows and Mac versions of your games in places like Steam and Apple’s Mac App Store.

With GameMaker:HTML5, which will ship later this month you will be able to target the huge opportunity for HTML5 games.

We’ll continue to publish some of your games too and share the revenues with you. We’re working on making it easier for you to contact us for publishing opportunities, but I’ll write about that in the next couple of weeks ina separate post.

In summary, GameMaker is the centre of everything we do at YoYo. We’re not deserting our basic principles that GAmeMaker should start as a free program and we’re not intending to keep increasing the price of GameMaker:Standard. We’re trying to extend the appeal of GameMaker to Porfessional developers with GameMaker: HTML5 and GameMAker:Studio editions which will both be out in 2011. In 2012 EVERY version of GameMaker will get a complete rewrite (and many new features.

Sandy

#2 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3534 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

I wasn't expecting Studio until mid-2012, or so.. that post if full of exiting news! :)

#3 Glance

Glance

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

I'm really excited for GM9, and it's awesome that GM HTML5 is coming out so soon. I expected it to take a lot longer to release such a thing. As for the rewrite, if you can actually tell us this info, what kind of new features are you planning to add? Are the 3D capabilities going to be improved and new functions added, or is it just a faster runner?

#4 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3090 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

This sounds really good. I was hoping for another December 22nd for GM9 release like the last version update for Game Maker. That was a great Christmas gift.

I still wish for a revamp of the site.

GM Studio will be out this year? I was NOT expecting that.

#5 Poeman

Poeman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

I'll buy GM9 if you improve the 3D functioning, otherwise I hope 8 is still supported with publishing/in general.

#6 round

round

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:03 AM

I agree with Mr. Sandy Duncan:

1. "This free and widespread use of ‘Lite’ almost certainly makes GameMaker the world’s most widely used Game Development engine. It’s something we’re very proud of and are dedicated to ensuring this not only continues"

A free lite version of GameMaker is very important for keeping a huge GM user base and the popularity of GM. Some of these lite version users will finally purchase the expensive GM HTML5 and GM Studio. Therefore, the free lite version must continue.
:cool:

2. "we have no plans to increase the price GameMaker Standard again."

Good, many students cannot afford over USD40 in many countries. I agree that GM standard's price should not be increased again. However, I think that GM Studio can be set at a high price because the only purpose of buying GM Studio is making money. Potential GM Studio users can afford high prices.
:cool:

Finally, I really really hope that the problem(or bug) of screen tearing will be solved in GameMaker 9.0. Thank you.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by round, 08 September 2011 - 03:15 AM.

#7 thaaks

thaaks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

In the PocketGamer interview here it sounds like GameMaker Studio would also contain HTML 5 support.

In turn, sometime in early 2012, there will be an even more capable version called GameMaker Studio that will complete the circle, combining HTML5 support with iOS, Android, Symbian, PC and Mac.

Could someone from YoYo Games clarify that for me? Will GameMaker Studio include HTML5 support? I just want to know what product(s) I need to buy later on ;)

#8 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, that's something I'd love to know as well. Will studio do HTML5?

#9 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3836 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

2012, the end of the world - when gamemaker gets redesigned? :P

I'm wondering what features of the studio (editor) fall into the gamemaker (standard): team collaboration, better debugging, compiling (?), etc etc..

#10 Ember

Ember

I made a bubble

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

I just hope that DirectX 9+ is included in said rewrites.

I'd spend $400 on that in a heartbeat.. and even faster for full shader support!

• Guests

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

The C++ runner is already DX9.... as to shaders, there's some serious cross platform issues with that.

#12 Ember

Ember

I made a bubble

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

If I recall correctly, the Cg shader programming language is multi-platform and is able to be integrated into existing engines via a dll. Could that be a possibility...? Posted Image

#13 TheMagician

TheMagician

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

It really makes me happy to see that GameMaker is in such good and talented hands :smile: I know that a lot of my students use the free edition at home to be creative and transform their ideas into games.
The new features in GameMaker: Studio sound great and I didn't expect it to be released before 2012!
All in all I'm really happy to be a part of this community. :thumbsup:

#14 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

Sounds good, can't wait for the rewrite and such. However, concerning YoYoGames, I dislike how the website is getting. I would rather for a seperate website featuring GameMaker and the sandbox. I feel for new users, it's hard for them to find it on the website, or perhaps even find much support for it at the moment. The split should be made when GameMaker HTML5 is released, that way it's more like Newgrounds and a Youtube for games(the first goal YoYoGames had in mind).

#15 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for the post, guys. :) Weird about how sales increased with the price increase!

#16 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

I wasn't expecting Studio until mid-2012, or so..

Based on the number of release dates that have fallen through in the past, I seriously doubt Studio will be out this year...though I'll be happy if it is.

#17 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

Oooooh. This is so exciting :3. I really can't wait -- especially with all the new developments on the publishing side in places such as Steam etc.

Even if you were to increase GM Standard's price a bit more, I don't think people would really mind too much. $40 is NOT expensive when you compare it to the cost of other design software -- what my engineering design software for university costs alone could buy GM several times over.

#18 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1219 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

yes!!! we can publish to the itunes store and ovi store success, game maker is used in almost every secondary school in england!!! thought you would like to hear that, some of them use std,but if studio is not too high(not over £30) then i might get it, but it is nice to see yoyo games progressing

#19 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Member
  • 9328 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the post, guys. :) Weird about how sales increased with the price increase!

Not really. It's one of the basic principles of marketing: people who are completely ignorant of a product (i.e. new users) will usually assume higher price = higher quality. It's why people pay ridiculous amounts of money for designer purses when in reality they couldn't tell the difference between a real one and a knockoff.

The only issue with raising prices is losing customers who do know about the product already. They're more objective about it because they know the quality beforehand. Luckily, with GM, it seems to have held its ground in that regard ;) . Thanks, GMC! :D

-IMP

#20 Water Chicken

Water Chicken

Got it memorized?

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

but if studio is not too high(not over £30) then i might get it

Expect it to be in the 200-300's.

#21 fenyxofshadows

fenyxofshadows

coobie

• GMC Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:34 AM

Well, it's certainly good to see good progress, ze?

Now, if only I could have this sort of good news with my own games *laughs*

#22 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1219 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

:blink: that is way out of my price range,

The reaction to this price change was mostly positive, sales have actually increased, not just in total revenue but unit sales have increased by about 50% since we increased the price!

people want to get it before it is too high :whistle:

also gm html5 (as said below) is too much, it is better to learn html 5 than pay £100(compared to like £20 for lessons) so, yeah :confused:

Edited by faissialoo, 11 September 2011 - 07:39 AM.

#23 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

Since GM HTML5 is $200, I'd put studio substantially higher.

#24 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

Hopefully that's not the case (At least as far as substantially is used) and they're just banking on people seeing HTML being worth that.

Of course there's still no damn word on whether studio will have HTML5 export. Posted Image

Edited by Robert3DG+, 11 September 2011 - 02:44 PM.

#25 sandyd

sandyd

Lord of the YoYo!!

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

Yes, studio will also include HTML5.

In the PocketGamer interview here it sounds like GameMaker Studio would also contain HTML 5 support.

In turn, sometime in early 2012, there will be an even more capable version called GameMaker Studio that will complete the circle, combining HTML5 support with iOS, Android, Symbian, PC and Mac.

Could someone from YoYo Games clarify that for me? Will GameMaker Studio include HTML5 support? I just want to know what product(s) I need to buy later on ;)

#26 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

Yay, information straight from Yoyo member!

Oh man, GM Studios price is really up in the air now.

#27 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3090 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

Since GM HTML5 is $200, I'd put studio substantially higher.

$500-$600 is what I am thinking.

#28 SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny

The Wanderer

• GMC Member
  • 1262 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

Two questions come to mind for me.

1.) If we buy HTML5, will we get a discounted price on Studio when it's released?

2.) Will Studio give developers access to all of the phone's functions? Such as the microphone, Wi-Fi, GPS and the likes?

#29 redspark

redspark

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:58 AM

Thank you for the update. I'm very eager to see a complete list of Studio features. Perhaps more videos or presentations of how the new features will work. I like this concept for supporting multiple platforms much better than the current one. Studio will definitely be on my wishlist -- if not in my shopping cart the moment it is released. Thanks again.

#30 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3534 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:15 AM

1.) If we buy HTML5, will we get a discounted price on Studio when it's released?

I see no reason for this.. specially thinking that HTML5 buyers dont get a discount if they bought 8.1 before..

2.) Will Studio give developers access to all of the phone's functions? Such as the microphone, Wi-Fi, GPS and the likes?

I dont think so, YYG never said anything about this and i doubt they are allowed to do it anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users