Sound device problems, forever and ever

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jack5590

jack5590

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

Please, for the love of everything holy, will someone answer my question.

I had Game Maker 8.0, and I have upgraded to Game Maker 8.1. The current version I have is 8.1.135. And I have had the same problem with all of these versions. Whenever I start a game or run my own game, the following message appears: "Sound device not detected. Sounds might not play." The sound effects will then cut off any background music and there will never be a time when continuous sounds will play. Each new sound will cancel any other sound playing.

Now I know what some will say. Don't use this type of file or that type of file, but I will tell you now I have used every type of file known to mankind to play and test each and every one.

Now another part of the problem is that now in the newest version (8.1.135) a new problem has appeared. The game or program will begin to load (the neat little status bar) and then the same message will appear: "Sound device not detected. Sounds might not play.", but then when you click on OK the message will go away and then reappear. Then you are stuck in a forever loop of seeing that message. I then have to go to Task Manager to shutdown the game and the Game Maker editor will reappear. So now I can't test anything that has sound.

If I make a game that has no sound resource of any kind then I get zero errors. No sound popups, no forever loop, no problems. But also a very dull game with zero sounds added. (imagine watching your favorite movie on mute, it sucks)

Now if I add one sound resource, and I don't even program it to play anywhere. The problems set in. I get the popup message, it loops forever, I go insane, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria.

My system details for the guru gods: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Duo Core 2.40 GHz, sound: SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

If anyone has any need for further information, just ask away.

PS - I have really tried every sound file known to mankind, so don't bother asking me what I tried. I tried them all. Absolutely every single one. I even tried notepad, Excel, and Word just to keep from burning places down.

PSS - For reward, I will give a package of gummy bears to the first person to answer this problem with a viable solution. I have already made a ticket for the tech support people outlining the problem. But no gummy bears for them.

PSSS - I am currently deployed in Afghanistan. I will try to check ASAP to any responses I get. But, reliable internet connection is not what I have. (That's kinda stupid since we've been here for over a decade. There should be Holiday Inns and McDonalds for as far as the eye can see.)

#2 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

It's clear that the problem isn't related to GameMaker at all but with the sound drivers/sound card. Perhaps you're running on an old sound card, or just beta drivers for it? Try updating your drivers for it, re-install directX or just get a new sound card.

If you don't know what i'm talking about PM me your sound card name and version or if you don't have a sound card, your motherboard name...and ill try to look for some recent drivers for you.

Edited by Bleed, 02 September 2011 - 11:08 AM.

#3 Lightang3l

Lightang3l

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1109 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

Instal k-light codec pack and see what happens :happy:
Also check for updates for your sound card driver (though It may not be necessary if music and movies in general work just fine).
PS: Use WAV files. :tongue:

#4 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:06 AM

k-lite is a package of advanced codecs, it has nothing to do with sound card initialization. I'd actually advise against installing it if you don't use many video formats
Also, he just said he used every sound format known to man i'm pretty sure wav is included in that notion.

Instal k-light codec pack and see what happens :happy:
Also check for updates for your sound card driver (though It may not be necessary if music and movies in general work just fine).
PS: Use WAV files. :tongue:

Edited by Bleed, 02 September 2011 - 11:11 AM.

#5 Lightang3l

Lightang3l

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1109 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

dude...

1. just install k-light (ASAP)... :thumbsup: IMPORTANT !
2. reinstall the audio driver
3. reinstall or update directX

The sound effects will then cut off any background music and there will never be a time when continuous sounds will play. Each new sound will cancel any other sound playing.

That right there is telling me he is not using Wav files...or he did and he is not anymore. :rolleyes:

#6 Spikehead777

Spikehead777

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

Interesting. I do not recommend installing codec packs (such as the K-Lite Codec Pack) because they cause more problems than they solve. Read this wiki page for more information.

1. Check that sound works in other applications outside of Game Maker or GM games. If your sound works outside of GM, then you most likely have some software that is conflicting with GM games. If sound doesn't work anywhere on your system, then either your speakers aren't plugged in, your sound settings in Vista need to be changed, or your sound card drivers are buggy/broken (or even your sound card itself is broken or not installed).

2. Make sure your speakers/headphones are plugged in. It doesn't matter if they're turned on and up (though I will recommend turning them on and up if you want to hear your game). Vista has a form of audio jack detection where it will disable currently unplugged audio jacks. This means that if you have nothing plugged into your audio jack, it's disabled and you will get those "Sound device not detected. Sounds might not play." error messages.

3. Try messing around with the default sound device in Windows. In Vista, right-click your speaker icon and select Playback Devices. Right-click anywhere on the whitespace in the new window that appears and then make sure Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices are checked. If there are no audio devices in the list at all, you may need to install or replace a sound card and/or some drivers.

4. If you have a codec pack installed, try uninstalling it. "You may only need one or two filters or codecs, but the codec pack will come with 10, 20, 30 or more parts! Some of these might conflict with software or drivers you already have. Even worse, they might conflict with something you get later leading you to blame the new software instead of the codec pack installed months ago."

#7 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19879 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

Have you run dxdiag? Just goto the "run" box on the startup menu and type "dxdiag.exe" and press enter. This will tell you what state your directx drivers are in and give you certain info on the different sound drivers that you have installed. If you get any type of errors with the sound sections, then let us know... Oh and update Directx!

PS: Until you can rule out other more basic problems, then for the moment I would forget codex packs too.

#8 jack5590

jack5590

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

I would like to thank everyone for replying promptly.

I have not had any problem with sounds in any other programs or games. My drivers for sound are up to date (checked again to be sure), I also ran the dxdiag.exe with no problems found. I went through everyone's suggestions so far and I am at a loss still.

And yes, yes, yes I have used WAV files. I used the WAV files that came with the Lite version when I tried it out. I used WAV files that were downloaded. I used WAV files from the Lord Jesus himself (he didn't even charge me). :thumbsup: So, yes, I have used WAV files. I could list all the files I used and in different configurations but really, trust me, I used them all. But, I like the humor.

I don't know if some kind of conflict is coming up, but I had done a driver restart (used my default drivers that came with the computer) a few months ago and updated all drivers in the process and the problem still persisted with Game Maker.

I love to tinker with Game Maker. But some of my games would be so much better with sound and music. It really is just annoying.

I did read the wiki about the K-Lite Codec Pack and I am hesitant to use that as a solution. When everything else on my computer is working I don't feel like breaking half of it, to save just a piece.

If there are more suggestions I would be glad to hear them. Thanks again to all that replied so far.

#9 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

Can you also try re-installing GameMaker? or if you have many versions of it try uninstalling all except one.

P.S. Have you considered, using an extension or dll and load your sounds externally? That way you don't include any sound resources in the executable, therefore zero errors from GameMaker and it's also quite neat too, GM's build-in sound system is kinda buggy anyway.
And don't worry its not that hard to use an extension, but you need GameMaker Standard
I'd recommend tsg1zzn's SSS or snake5's SG Audio

Edited by Bleed, 02 September 2011 - 09:40 PM.

#10 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 7938 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:02 PM

My drivers for sound are up to date (checked again to be sure),

How did you check, if you checked via Windows Updates, then you may not have the latest, Windows Updates only keep Microsoft components up to date, not third party drivers.

Go to the manufacturer of your sound card, download their latest.

#11 Lightang3l

Lightang3l

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1109 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

I did read the wiki about the K-Lite Codec Pack and I am hesitant to use that as a solution. When everything else on my computer is working I don't feel like breaking half of it, to save just a piece.

First of all what Spikehead777 has linked to is not a wiki, it's just some guy's blog and he's bashing codec packs. Not a very good source if you ask me. Everyone can make a post like that.

Second of all, I use K-light myself for as long as I can remember and I have gone through about 10 different PCs so far, never in my life have I had a sound or video problem. All my friends, workplace colleagues, my brother , they all use k-light codec pack, and no one has ever had a problem.

The only way a codec pack can mess stuff up is if it is installed "on top" of another codec pack...

I'm not saying it will solve your problem, I'm just saying there is a chance, a small chance but a chance nevertheless.

If you don't want to try it, don't. If you do however, make sure you have no other codeck pack, and select "lots of stuff" from the drop down menu when installing k-light. Cheers :thumbsup:

- Lightang3l

Edited by Lightang3l, 03 September 2011 - 08:18 AM.

#12 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1319 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

i don't mean to be rude, but why isn't he banned yet or atleast warned for foul language, you may warn me if this post seems inappropriate I'll accept the consequences, but is asking if he should be warned for foul language so, wrong think about it, first before you warn me, but i think after this blows over and goes back to normal after a month or 2 passes by a very much deserved warn lowering should apply to mrsmes, but not saying you have to but i'd like that and then we can all just move along with our lives as if nothing happened everyone will be happy, even the member who used foul language once his warn level drops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users