Experimental!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

Posted Image

As we near the beta release of GameMaker HTML5, we wanted to start showing some of the things we've been trying with it! Welcome the YoYo Games EXPERIMENTAL site! On this page we've loaded up some demos and games we've been using to test out GameMaker HTML5.

Now, being an experimental site, you'll realise that not everything runs perfectly, but they do show the progress we're making. Most of these tests are of iOS games that we've simply "exported" using the new HTML5 exporter, meaning that very few of them will run well on mobile devices, however we have also put our GraveMaker test up here.

http://youtu.be/dhwP9rxv9U8

GraveMaker This was written to run well on tablets, specifically the iPad - even on iOS4.2, which is particularly slow for HTML5 content. Now you although you get the chance to play with it yourself, please remember this is a quick tech demo and test, so there are issues with it; in fact, it's FAR from perfect. But again, it does show what you can do with GameMaker HTML5, even in its current ALPHA state.

This site also shows you another important aspect of GameMaker HTML5. Because you can export your game using exactly the same source base, you can now easily make demos of your game to put on the web without having to recode everything from scratch! Simply remove some content (if you want to!) and export!

We hope to show some Facebook integration soon, but for now... go and enjoy the demos and games on show, and let your imagination run wild and think what you'll be able to do with your own web game!

HTTP://EXPERIMENTAL.YOYOGAMES.COM

#2 xshortguy

xshortguy

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4322 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:09 PM

Cool stuff.

#3 Klassic

Klassic

Magnesium Ninja

• GMC Member
  • 242 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

Absolutely fantastic, I'm really liking how smooth everything is running on my laptop. It seems like the porting should be fairly straight forward, and opens up a lot of opportunities (Facebook, as you said). I'm highly anticipating the beta!

EDIT: I am still missing the music in the games, though. Sound effects work fine, just not the music itself.

Edited by Klassic, 26 August 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#4 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

Wow. It runs really well & loads incredibly fast (literally less than 5 seconds per game). I found Karoshi a little glitchy, but the others ran fine. Really excited for the release of this :D

Edited by Rossay, 26 August 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#5 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7521 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

Indignant inflammatory comment? :unsure:

#6 xanthom

xanthom

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

Is there an ability to import GM v6/7/8 GMKs into GM HTML5?

• Guests

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Not all the games are using the "latest" version of the Alpha, it simply takes too much time to re-build, test, and upload on every "fix" we make. So when we have a few, we'll go back over them and update then.

For example, Solitaire "remember" your last game using the built in INI file saving to HTML local storage. Karoshi and They Need to be Fed also save, but as they're using an older one, they're still bugged. Hay... that's why it's "experimental"!!! :)

Audio on the "Experimental" version of They Need To Be Fed should have music auto start though...

As to Karoshi being a little glitchy. This is because it's written the "normal" GameMaker way (and using precise collisions to boot!), but that's actually really slow. I'll be posting some articles on how to write a "fast" platformer that will run quick on ANY platform soon.

Is there an ability to import GM v6/7/8 GMKs into GM HTML5?

Don't know about GM6 and 7, but we've loaded 8.1 GMKs in. I think it'll load them all though, but we simply haven't tried really old ones.

#8 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2504 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

There is slight lag on my rig, and I noticed it requires Canvas support.
Furthermore, you should probably not disable right click functionality, and may want to add a type of right click menu to the actual runner to optimize speed/quality if possible (reminiscent to that of FLASH).

Edited by 2DLuis, 26 August 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#9 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19887 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

Okay I have played the six of them and they all work fairly well... But... GraveDigger and Maddening have a slight lag every few seconds, and Karoshi bugs out on level 5 (sounds continue and buttons seem to work but I can't actually SEE anything! Just the background...).

• Guests

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

Yeah... some issues with Firefox...I'll look into it tomorrow (after the F1!), and the same with Solitaire "options" screen.
GraveMaker should be fine though... What version of FF are you using?

#11 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19887 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:11 PM

Version 6. Just updated yesterday actually... It's odd as it seems to run fine for a few seconds then there is a "jerk" in the motion and it runs fine again. Maddening does the same... Funnily enough, Solitaire didn't give me any trouble at all.

#12 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7521 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

Mr. Karoshi worked fine but when I tried Maddening it had no sound, and when I died or won a level I was met with a GOD AWFUL beep-type-noise I don't know, not really a beep but regardless it was freaking loud, like I was playing a screamer or something.

Final thoughts: I didn't like it very much. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I'm in Chrome.

Edited by makerofthegames, 26 August 2011 - 09:15 PM.

#13 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 7940 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

All games played well on computer (IE 9).

Solitaire played slugish on iPad, Grave Maker played well on iPad. Looking forward to HTML5 improvement with iOS 5.

#14 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• Retired Staff
  • 9322 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

Seems pretty nice :) . It was a little laggy on my tests (FF 6.0, Win7 Home Premium, dual-core, 4GB RAM), and it seems as though it has a high priority, since even when the game wasn't lagging too much, the rest of my computer was (I couldn't even adjust the volume because it lagged too much). Not good.

Otherwise, though, it's really cool :) .

-IMP

*EDIT* I was completely unable to play anything on my iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1). Whenever I'd go to any game's page, it would show a black rectangle, then freeze and crash Mobile Safari completely.

Edited by IceMetalPunk, 26 August 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#15 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 7462 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

I did notice with Karoshi that clicking the Next button between 'story' screens when playing the first level in story mode didn't always work - almost seemed like I had to keep it pressed longer to make it work. Might have to do with trying to figure out if it is clicked "precisely" (in precise collision detection), but as a result it didn't register properly. Yet the button did highlight properly to the mouse-over event.

Using Google Chrome, v 13.something.

#16 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:49 PM

Looks good.I've found some glitches on the GraveMaker but I understand that this is a Alpha version.

What it's a little bad it's the design(don't like the green and gray blend)....

In the end//CONGRATS YoYo for the effort to give more and more options...

#17 jimn346

jimn346

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 422 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:41 AM

I'm not getting any lag. Almost everything seems perfect, but there is a bit of a depth bug, and some areas of the screen (the area outside the fence, for example in this picture) blur.
[Somewhat large picture]

EDIT: I guess the blur outside the fence is because it's scaled from a smaller image, but there is some blur around certain objects with different depths of those around them.

Edited by jimn346, 27 August 2011 - 12:43 AM.

#18 Greenblizzard

Greenblizzard

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

I couldn't get Mr. Karoshi to run in Opera(11.50), just got this error:
Syntax error at line 1048 while loading:
=ry.xy;kz.lz(ry.iz).new =0;if((global.nz
---------------------------^
expected identifier, got keyword 'new'

It ran well in Chrome, though.

• Guests

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

As we've said, these are all "test" cases, and each probably has "something" wrong with them; which is why they are on our experimental server. maddening does have "music" issues, and yes... that really maddening "ping" at the end IS right! It was called maddening for a reason! :tongue:

GraveMaker does have a few depth glitches, and a couple of HTML5 ones.

Karoshi has issues in FF6, and Opera(just tried here). I'll be looking at themtoday... after the F1! :whistle:

As to stuff lagging on iOS, as I said... Only GraveMaker was written to run on that.. on iOS 5, Solitaire is almost playable! Which is interesting. But as it was written for Native, it simply draws too much for such a large display. That can be fixed... but we need some spare time again, something we're short of at the moment!

Oh... And having to "hold" the NEXT button on Karoshi. Thats actually IN the game....Jesses choice :rolleyes:

#20 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

As to Karoshi being a little glitchy. This is because it's written the "normal" GameMaker way (and using precise collisions to boot!), but that's actually really slow. I'll be posting some articles on how to write a "fast" platformer that will run quick on ANY platform soon.

Thanks for replying. Out of curiousity, does that statement imply that the way you code games in GMHTML5 is significantly different from standard GM8.1? Can you just convert GM8.1 --> GMHTML5?

I'm genuinely so impressed at how fast the games loaded, especially the sound loading -- which is annoyingly slow on GM8.1 (unless you load it all externally).

#21 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 7462 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

I'm genuinely so impressed at how fast the games loaded, especially the sound loading -- which is annoyingly slow on GM8.1 (unless you load it all externally).

Well, to be honest, the fact that the HTML5 game starts doesn't mean the sounds are all fully loaded. I've noticed for some games that the sound effects are not there until some time in the game. Doubly so for music. Chronic wrote something about loading resources externally and how you can check whether a resource has finished loading, but it looks like GM4HTML5 doesn't wait for this by default - at least not for sound.

• Guests

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

It depends on what your "target" platform is. If you're only interested in desktops and laptops, then you can code much as you have. If you want to include mobile devices, you will have to employ a few new tricks to keep the speed up. We are looking to see if we can automate some of these tricks, so that games would "just be faster", but this is complex, and may not work.

That said... if you code for mobile, it will also work quickly on desktops as well.

Over and above this, you should probably avoid things like "preciese" collision in GameMaker unless you really need it, as these are very slow. Games like Karoshi and TNTBF use preceise collision, and its the main reason they don't run well on iOS devices. Karoshi in particular could be quick on iOS if it was recoded a little.

I will be doing a series of articles on how to get better performance out of GameMaker, and these methods also work well on mobile... so stay tunned for them :biggrin:

...can check whether a resource has finished loading, but it looks like GM4HTML5 doesn't wait for this by default - at least not for sound.

Actually, we wait for enough data so that the sound can be played all the way through, but this doesn't mean its ALL loaded. The borwser is the thing that decides it has enough data, and that if we started playing now, it would stream in quick enough so as to have no interruption.

As to GM8.x, its not sound loading thats slow... it's DirectX audio initialisation. No idea what they're doing in there, but it appears to be driver/DX related, and out of our control - until we move DX versions in the future....

#23 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Ahhh. That's great :D. I'm only interested in coding for computers anyway so that's good to know I can code much as I already do. Really looking forward to testing this now.

#24 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

On level 6, if you walk out the bottom of the left side of the screen, you appear at the top-right on the other side of the room (so much different y coords)

Not sure if that's a bug, or just some 'karoshi' humor. :P

Yeah, this is cool stuff, here, thanks for sharing it with the community! Now gimme html5, please! :D

#25 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6805 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

I will be doing a series of articles on how to get better performance out of GameMaker, and these methods also work well on mobile... so stay tunned for them :biggrin:

+1. It's great that you're making time for this. Tutorials from the software authors themselves usually give great insight about performance.

I'll be checking the YYG techblog.

Edited by chance, 27 August 2011 - 11:00 AM.

#26 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

I played the solitare and I was pretty impressed. My only question is, how does this work up against slow bandwidth internet such as Dial Up, or high latency connections like satellite or mobile broadband.

(Ive had all three)

#27 Osmium

Osmium

Graphic Artist

• GMC Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:21 PM

Impressive! Works like a charm on my browser.

#28 Brawl

Brawl

Magnitude Games

• Local Moderators
  • 1195 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

Excellent. Everything seems to be working very well. Bugs where minimal whenever I did some testing (testing was also minimal however. xD)

I hope to see more great progress soon!

#29 mazimadu

mazimadu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

I tried embedding some of the games on my blog. There seems to be an issue with keyboard control using iframes. I tried They need to be feed but that only too mouse/touch input. So I embedded Skydiver mach II and it works fine, even on my Motorola ATRIX. The performance is comparable to the android version, but lags a bit with input.

Check it out here
http://mazi-madu.blo...to-be-feed.html

Edited by mazimadu, 28 August 2011 - 09:34 PM.

#30 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:05 AM

Impressive. Can't wait to see what the community produce in HTML5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users